Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What genre do you read?

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What genre do you read?

Old 01-12-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read tons of Sci-fi/fantasy, a few mysteries (Lillian Jackson Broun's The Cat Who..., Carole Nelson Douglas's works, Sherlock Holmes, older authors like Ellery Queen, Erle Stanley Gardner, etc.,) manga, and whatever non-fiction happens to catch my eye, like metallurgy and sword-making, most recently. I have a couple of books on the gun-control issue to get to, as well.
Old 01-12-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a graduate student in Literature so I read what they give me and don't have time for much else....right now though I'm reading "The Hotel New Hampshire" by john Irving....I like sci-fi but its hard to find any thats not pulp....I've read all of Herbert, and Heinlein and William Gibson and a couple of others...when I find anything I like, I usually read everything that that author has written
Old 01-20-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Primarily History, but will occassionally read Fantasy, biographies, mystery/suspense and NY Times Top 10 Fiction.

I have to skip horror (a Stephen King book scared me terribly once)
Old 01-26-02, 06:49 AM

A little bit of everything:

Biographies/Autobiographies
Horror (Been a King fan since "Carrie")
How-To books (computers, home improvement, etc.)
Non-Fiction (sports, autos, movies, etc)
Fiction (especially kind of off-the-wall stuff like John Irving)
Humor
Classics
Old 01-05-06, 01:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

[Seemed like time for a bump!]

I'd say that 90% of the novels I read now are speculative fiction and of these at least 90% are science fiction with the balance being fantasy of some kind.

The 10% that isn't spec-fic is primarily crime writing of some description.

The tiny percentage falling outside of the genre-fiction ghetto tends to be written by science-fictionalists such as Christ Priest, Ian Banks and the like who are experimenting with (ahem) "proper" writing
Old 01-05-06, 01:58 PM

Mostly all Horror these days.
Old 01-05-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 3 mains are:

Detective/Thriller/Mystery/Murder Mystery - James Patterson (even if he's shite now) and David Balducci type stuff.
Horror
Comics

Those are the main things that I'll read, though I deviate from that a bit.

On the Audiobook side though, I'm much more open to try nearly anything. Historical stuff that I would never read, biographies, and other non-fiction genre's I wouldn't want to read but wouldn't mind listening to.
Old 01-06-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

my latest purchases are all sciences and history
Old 01-06-06, 02:30 PM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
75% crime fiction
10% horror
10% non-fiction
5% whatever odd-ball selection my office book club chose
Old 01-06-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts
mostly sci-fi, especially 'golden age' and short story anthologies. I'll grab pretty much any SF anthology if I don't already have it.

Occasionally 'thrillers' [John Sandford, the Prey books, Alex Kava, things like that]

horror every now and then

occasional current events/political [last one was the Fairtax book]
Old 01-06-06, 04:10 PM

I've been reading a lot of thriller type books in the last couple years too. I read the whole Sandford Prey series, Lee Child's Reacher series, David Morrell, and all Stephen Hunter's books. I also like Wilbur Smith's Courtney and Ancient Egypt historical fiction books, and anything by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Except for those weeks when I went through the whole Prey series , I usually try to pepper in some non-fiction or other genre of fiction for variety.
Old 01-07-06, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 413 Likes on 267 Posts
Mostly speculative fiction, though I don't really care for high fantasy. I also like medieval lit and early modern poetry (mostly Donne).
Old 01-07-06, 09:08 PM

100% Non-fiction... mostly finance and economics.
Old 01-08-06, 12:21 AM
Cool New Member

Mostly read:

Political/Military Thrillers (Vince Flynn, Tom Clancy, W.E.B. Griffin etc..)
Legal Thrillers (John Grisham, Steve Martini)
Cop Thrillers/Mystery (WEB Griffin, diving into Michael Connelly now)
sci-fi (everything from star wars to hard sf)
A little fantasy (read some Terry Brooks and a few random others)
Non fiction political/history books
Non fiction investing/finance/economics
Old 01-11-06, 10:07 PM

Most Recent:
Forever Odd. Sequel to Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. <-- My favorite book.

Mostly:
Young Adult Fantasy (Brian Jaques, J.K. Rowling)
Occassionally:
History books focusing on one subject: i.e. The Knights, The Gladiators...
Manga
Old 01-17-06, 01:49 AM

Pretty much anthing from Action to Finance.

Personal Finance
Comics
Horror
Mystery
Thriller
Action
Literature
Educational books that look fun in Vocab building, History, Business, Math, Foreign Language, etc.

Basically, I will read from many genres be they fiction or non-fiction. I moreso base my decisions on the actual book and not so much the genre as I can get into many if the book is good. I read to build skills as well as for enjoyment.

Funny thing is I started to read when college ended. So many boring, trite textbooks really made me hate reading during school. I would do anything but read outside of school. Read during the summer as a child? Yeah right. I really hated it. I started reading on my own about two years ago. I never realized how enjoyable it could. I have learned more about finances, cooking, health, history, business, etc., in two years than in my entire elementry/high school education. College was a little better and was more open, but nothing tops personal reading for me.

Last edited by AllHallowsEve; 01-17-06 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-20-06, 01:19 AM

I read just about everything, though I'm partial to Fantasy and some sci-fi. I also like to read a handful of bestsellers now and then (davinci code, etc...)

Generally I like to read 2-3 books at a time, with one being non-fiction, preferably some sociology or history book.
Old 01-21-06, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

50% fantasy
25% sci-fi
10% non-fiction (this comes from being, in part, a history major - lots of books to read)
5% other fiction genres
5% angsty non-fiction or quasi-non-fiction books, generally about screwed up or strange people (wife leaves in the bathroom - David Sedaris for example)
5% misc other
Old 01-24-06, 12:48 AM

I like to read just about everything (except romance, that's what penthouse letters is for), but my favorite genre is westerns. I'd bet money I'm the first person to say that. I love Louis L'Amoure and I am getting into Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove series
Old 01-24-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Off beat type of fiction, some action, and vampire books...I try to read a non-fiction book at least once a month usually on finance or economics or sometimes autobiographies. Right now its the Millionaire Next Dorr. Im not too picky, but I like stories that are off the beaten path or have some quirkiness to them.
Old 01-25-06, 04:28 PM
Banned

I try to read a little bit of everything, but I often find myself reading fantasy as well. I love the stories. Oh well Im a geek. No surprise there.
Old 01-26-06, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Braddok
I like to read just about everything (except romance, that's what penthouse letters is for), but my favorite genre is westerns. I'd bet money I'm the first person to say that. I love Louis L'Amoure and I am getting into Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove series
You are the first in this thread to say you liked westerns.

I am into sci-fi & fantasy almost exclusively now. But in my younger days, I think I read everything that Louis L'Amour had written. Even now, whenever I see a new novel put out by him(his estate) (mostly short stories that weren't published when he was alive) I will still buy them. His stories are so simple (good vs bad) but always an enjoyable read.