Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Do you support independent book stores?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-01, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you support independent book stores?

The B&N thread made me wonder what everyone thinks oof independent book stores. I really make an effort to support the smaller guys as much as possible, though I admit I am often drawn in by a better price at a chain (but almost always for an "impulse buy"). For instance, I could get 30-40% off the mysteries I buy, but I like paying retail at Mystery Books in DuPont Circle. Am I crazy? I was there tonight, and I spent almost $60 on two books (which I then had signed by the author - Lawrence Block did a reading and discussion and he was fantastic!). And here's the rub - I already had one of the books, I just wanted to throw some business their way (plus have a pristine, signed copy, and have the other to tote around and read!).

On the other hand, I walked over to Olsson's in Georgetown the other day, looking for the same book - and they didn't even have it. I understand that they can't carry as much inventory - but c'mon, this book was into its second edition before the first was shipped. That's the drawback - no neatly cantered, waist-high stacks of the newest potboiler.

Is it worth it to anyone to just cough up the dough for the better service and expertise at independent or specialty bookstores?
Old 11-01-01, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
absolutely. i hit a few used book stores on a fairly regular basis. i'm always amazed that they're still in business and i usually walk out with a good find or two.
Old 11-01-01, 01:55 AM

I don't, mostly because they cost more and usually have fewer titles available. I almost always prefer to buy online because even when I go to Borders or Barnes and Noble, they almost never have the book I want in stock.

I do buy more books than I should (rather than using the library for all my reading) because I feel the need to see that authors sell their books (is that crazy, or what. . .)

tasha
Old 11-02-01, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would if we had one within 2 hours drive that I know of. The closest thing I think we have is a Paperback's Inc. and they don't exactly have a huge selection unless you're wanting those sleazy romance novels.

~Scheherazade