Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Clive Cussler news & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-01, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clive Cussler news & discussion thread

If so, what books of his are your favorite? I am new to his stuff and I want to start with the very first Dirk Pitt book that was written by Cussler, "Pacific Vortex".
Old 10-15-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone?
Old 10-15-01, 12:41 PM

I've read all of his Dirk Pitt novels, but don't really have a favorite--they're all really good, IMO. Excellent for a trip to the beach or a rainy afternoon.

Very consistent story quality level, each starting with some event in history, which is revisited in present day. Some of these events are improbable (I won't give any of them away), but make for good reading. Great characters, too.

Sometimes the later books reference earlier works. Your plan to start at the beginning is a good one.
Old 10-18-01, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Favorites for me are Cyclops, Dragon and Night Probe. If you ever listen to the books on tape version, you kind of hear how some of the dialog is cheesy when read aloud. Still, they're really fun reads.

Here's an interview with Cussler that I was just reading last week. http://www.bookreporter.com/authors/...sler-clive.asp It makes mention of how they are pursuing another movie. (Raise the Titanic came out like 20 years ago and Cussler was dissappointed with it)
Old 10-19-01, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Clive Cussler news & discussion thread

Originally posted by Wormwood
If so, what books of his are your favorite? I am new to his stuff and I want to start with the very first Dirk Pitt book that was written by Cussler, "Pacific Vortex".
I think I read that the Mediterranean caper was actually the first Dirk Pitt novel written but Cussler didn't think it was very good so he shelved it. Obviously, it got published later.
Old 10-19-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Any Clive Cussler fans?

Originally posted by Alvis

I think I read that the Mediterranean caper was actually the first Dirk Pitt novel written but Cussler didn't think it was very good so he shelved it. Obviously, it got published later.
Nope, it's Pacific Vortex. It says so in the foreword.
Old 02-11-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Anyone like/read Clive Cussler books?

I like reading them. They are mindless fun, full of action. When I read, I don't want to have to think alot.
Old 02-12-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me as a fan as well. Despite the almost superhuman qualities/incredible luck of Dirk Pitt and the largely predictable plot, I still enjoy these books. Pure fluff, but that is what I usually read anyway. I have to think hard enough in the real world.
Old 02-12-02, 01:22 PM

Count me as a huge fan. I have read them all, I have the last 7 in First Edition Hardcover (A couple even signed by the author). They are the best books to read if you want to forget about what is going on in the world around you and fall into a place you wish you could be.
Old 02-12-02, 03:42 PM

I am also a fan. Picked up the latest one when it came out last year. Due to other things in line before it, I didn't start it until last night.

It's great to be reading his stuff again. Especially after what I am coming off of. Just finished Walk In Hell by Harry Turtledove. It's alternative history dealing with WWI. I like Turtledove's stuff, but sometimes it just takes forever to get to something exciting.

I got 30 minutes with Vallhala Rising and had a great time. Curious to see what other Cussler fans like. My other authors of choice include:

Tom Clancy (Ryan themes only, no Op-Center).
Dan Jenkins - Good humorous sports stuff
Douglas Adams - R.I.P.
Harry Turtledove - See Comments above
Old 02-27-02, 05:38 PM

I think that Treasure was my favorite book, while his recent depatures into new characters are poorly done at best. Pretty sure that I have read all his books at least once, but there was a time that he switched publishers . . . not sure that I read those.

As far as mindless fun goes, these are the books of choice. Every new batch of Cussler books is double-dipped in testosterone to insure that no woman can resist him, bullets pass through him, and that he is immune to that rules that apply to pretty much any other living creature.

Hopefully he can get a few more good books out.
Old 12-13-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Clive Cussler to Retire :(

As one of my favorite authors, I was very sad to see this article at CNN today.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/book...eut/index.html
Old 12-13-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Too bad. I personally can't stand the guy, but a lot of people enjoy his novels.
Old 12-13-02, 06:23 PM

I love Clive. I've read all his books. Sorry to hear that he's retiring.
Old 12-13-02, 11:11 PM

No loss for me. People raved about his work so I read "Dragon." It was the most jingoistic garbage I've read since Pat Buchannan.
Old 12-20-02, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by Creek Rat
No loss for me. People raved about his work so I read "Dragon." It was the most jingoistic garbage I've read since Pat Buchannan.
Wow. Way to threadcrap.

Anyways, sorry to hear about Mr. Cussler. I've enjoyed many of his books.

-iki
Old 12-20-02, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Writers never really retire. I'm sure at some point he'll think of something that'd make a good story and go back to work.
Old 09-01-04, 10:11 AM

I'll miss the old guy. Raise The Titanic was his first novel that I read. Recent work has not as good. Some are a bit "far-fetched".
Old 09-04-04, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
His books are utter, complete crap. And I love reading them.

Sometimes, you gotta have a favorite garbage author. He's mine.
Old 09-26-04, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by dstrauss
His books are utter, complete crap. And I love reading them.

Sometimes, you gotta have a favorite garbage author. He's mine.

I agree with the sentiment. He's not my favorite by any stretch, but he's a brilliant ideas man, and it will be a shame to see him stop doing it.

Frankly, he's an aweful writer. Seriously, he's terrible. But he can put together great concepts. I always thought he needed to get a partner and be the Elton John/Bernie Taupin of adventure novels. Elton apparently couldn't write a lick and Bernie couldn't play, so the formed a hell of a two-headed monster for quite a few years. Somebody should have paired Cussler with someone who could actually write but didn't have any ideas.
Old 09-27-04, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Aren't all of his books co-written now? As in Cussler supplies the concept and the co-writer actually writes it? I'm pretty sure all of the Kurt Austin novels are written this way.
Old 09-27-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RevLiver
Aren't all of his books co-written now? As in Cussler supplies the concept and the co-writer actually writes it? I'm pretty sure all of the Kurt Austin novels are written this way.
Kurt Austin books were co-written but the Dirk Pitt books were still Cussler's own work. I haven't read one of his books in a long time.
Old 09-29-04, 06:56 PM

I was checking out Amazons list of upcoming books for Fall, and there is a Cussler book to be released on November 30th called Black Wind. There was no info or reviews, but the cover art did say a Dirk Pitt novel. Don't know if it is a new book or merely a retitled older book, but something to watch out for anyway.
Old 09-30-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is he the one who writes books about diving shipwrecks? ill really enjoyed those
Old 10-05-04, 02:07 PM

Clive Cusslers books have always been my faves. Sad to see him retire, but thats life I guess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.