Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Looking for Zombie Fiction

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-01, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for Zombie Fiction

Are there any books about zombies out there? I don't mean like someone makes a zombie and that's it; I'm talking NOTLD type zombie action.

I've never heard of any, if anyone had please post titles and authors. This is kind of a research thing.
Old 10-12-01, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Stephen King had a short story called "Home Delivery" and there was a book called "Wet Work" by Philip Nutman (pretty good and it has an epic scale to it).
Old 10-12-01, 04:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

I guess these will tend to be found under Science Fiction or Horror aka Dark Fantasy/Fiction.

Was King's The Tommyknockers zombie-related?

Aside from the "factual", as you say, the films seem to be more prevalent than the novels. In fact, most of the novels my brief search found were actually based on films....

.... and some, I think, are based on roleplaying or computer games.

There are even digital-only books like:But, apparently, Dawn of the Dead by George A. Romero and Susanna Sparrow spawned the film.

I also came across:
  • Zombie! by Peter Tremayne
  • Wet Work by Philip Nutman
  • Resident Evil series by S. D. Perry
  • The Drum, the Doll, and the Zombie by John Bellairs, Brad Strickland (juvenile)
  • The Anita Blake, zombie-raiser series by Laurell Hamilton
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombies Edited by Stephen Jones
  • The Ultimate Zombie Edited by Byron Preiss & John Betancourt
  • THE BOOK OF ALL FLESH Anothology Novel Edited by James Lowder
  • Brand New Cherry Flavor by Todd Grimson <small>"pokes at Hollywood and has voodoo, zombies, sex, and drugs"</small>
And, not to (ahem) open a can of worms, aren't vampires a kind of zombie?
Old 10-12-01, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
What you're really looking for are the "Book of the Dead" series edited by John Skipp and Craig Spector.

"Book of the Dead" and "Still Dead - Book of the Dead II" are the only two books released, though at least two more were planned. They contain stories by various horror authors (Stephen King's story "Home Delivery" appeared in the first book) based on Romero's "Living Dead" movies. Authors include King, Dan Simmons, Poppy Z. Brite, David Schow, Joe R. Lansdale, and many more.

Both books are out of print, and pretty sought after. Your best bets would be to watch on Ebay (though expect to pay well over cover price for paperbacks), or check out some used book stores where you're likely to find a better price. Both were published in paperback format by Bantam, and in hardcover by Mark V. Ziesing Books.

John Skipp is putting out "Mondo Zombie" through Cemetery Dance Publications at some point in the future, which will be a "sort of" third entry in the series. Stories by Clive Barker, Jack Ketchum, Robert Bloch, and Lucy Taylor, among others. Details at:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/html/skipp.html
Old 10-13-01, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the help and all the leads!
Old 11-06-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got a copy of 'Still Dead' from my local library, and have mixed reviews. Some of the stories were great; very creative and a pleasure to read. 'Bright Lights, Big Zombie' had me rolling, it was a great imitation of the original.

I was kind of disappointed (and sickened, really) to find that about 1/2 of the stories in there were some form of zombie-rotica. I'm no prude, or anything like that, but:

1. Necrophilia has never appealed to me
2. If an author has to use sex to make a story scary or freaky, or whichever reaction they're looking for, they don't have much talent. Anyone can go for the obvious shock, a creative individual will shock and amaze in an original way.

Just my opinions. Any thoughts?

I've ordered Book of the Dead from Half (paperback, $1.63!) and am looking forward to reading that one next.