Old 10-08-01, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any kerouac fans out there?

i think he coo.
Old 10-08-01, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hell yeah. kerouac, ginsberg, burroughs, all those beaters.
Old 10-10-01, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hehe, yeah, i havn't read too much of anyone else other then kerouac, what have you read? what's ur favorite kerouac novel?
dude, some of the ginsberg poems are awsome (the small amout that i have read)
Old 10-14-01, 12:22 PM

i've read a few of kerouac's books, mexico city blues, dharma bums, the subterraneans, but my fav is still on the road . you should try reading some burroughs. it's a different style, but he really cracks me up.
Old 10-14-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: any kerouac fans out there?

Originally posted by KrackerBox
i think he coo.
Yeah he coo!

cheers, Tony Block
Old 10-14-01, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by monkeyboy
i've read a few of kerouac's books, mexico city blues, dharma bums, the subterraneans, but my fav is still on the road . you should try reading some burroughs. it's a different style, but he really cracks me up.
yeah on the road is good, but i really really liked subterraneans, and town and the city (even though lot of 'critics' like to say town and the city was just his starting out book as is not as good) i tried to read naked lunch, but never had time, i'll get to it though.
Old 10-15-01, 11:11 AM

I like William Burroughs the best. Always makes me laugh.
Old 10-15-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
On the Road is my favorite novel of all time. I read it at least twice I year. (Which reminds me, it's due time).

Visions of Cody and Darhma Bums are great too.

V
Old 10-16-01, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
On the Road is my favorite novel of all time. I read it at least twice I year. (Which reminds me, it's due time).

Visions of Cody and Darhma Bums are great too.

V

never read voc or darhma bums, but i heard they good, might pick up voc soon. have any of you guys read zen and the art of motorcylce maintnace? by robert pirsig? (sp on the name?) kinda reminds me of on the road. but lots of books did that i guess, just pickin up and traveling. lots of influences from on the road.
Old 10-19-01, 12:05 AM

I read Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintence...What was that opening line? "There is no style left in America"

Did you ever read the other book he wrote called Lila? pretty good as well.
Old 10-19-01, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by junkie
I read Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintence...What was that opening line? "There is no style left in America"

Did you ever read the other book he wrote called Lila? pretty good as well.

you know, i bought Lila a while ago because i really liked Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintence, but i never got to it. not even the first page...was it good? cuz maybe i should pick that up sometimes considering i bought it.
Old 10-22-01, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by KrackerBox

you know, i bought Lila a while ago because i really liked Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintence, but i never got to it. not even the first page...was it good? cuz maybe i should pick that up sometimes considering i bought it.
If you own it already give a read.
Old 10-24-01, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you own it already give a read.

i think i will. but my reading list is long. and i don't have time till winter break cuz of classes. but at least now i remembered that i had it. so yes, i'll eventually get to it, no matter how long it takes.
Old 10-24-01, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My favorite Kerouac read is Visions of Cody. I also like listening to some of his recordings. I try reading his stuff out loud but I don't have that stream of conciousness beat rambling style. Probably too much Slam influence or not enough Charlie Parker.
Old 10-24-01, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lorenzoh
My favorite Kerouac read is Visions of Cody. I also like listening to some of his recordings. I try reading his stuff out loud but I don't have that stream of conciousness beat rambling style. Probably too much Slam influence or not enough Charlie Parker.
hehe, nice. if you like hearing keroauc, you should listen to some other guys like gregory corso, ginsberg, lawrence ferlinghetti
Old 10-25-01, 12:13 PM

I liked On The Road and that was about the only book of his I really enjoyed reading. I am not trying to troll or anything just stating my opinion. I appreciate him as one of the Beats though.

A while back, I traveled to Lawrence, KS to meet William Burroughs and Ginsberg happened to be there as well. It was a fun day.
Old 10-25-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked On The Road and that was about the only book of his I really enjoyed reading. I am not trying to troll or anything just stating my opinion. I appreciate him as one of the Beats though.

A while back, I traveled to Lawrence, KS to meet William Burroughs and Ginsberg happened to be there as well. It was a fun day.

really you met ginseberg and burroughs? cool. did tehy try to hit on you? (hehe)
Old 10-25-01, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And now they're both dead! way to go man.

Actually, I saw Ginsberg give a poetry reading in Kansas City in 96 or 97 and said he was going to Lawrence to visit El Hombre Invicible afterwards. He also signed my copy of HOWL

Orignially posted by KrackerBox
really you met ginseberg and burroughs? cool. did tehy try to hit on you? (hehe)
My bro, who is gay, told me that when Ginsberg appeared at the Sophmore Literary Festival at Notre Dame University, back in the mid 80s, that Mr. G was hitting on him and other guys at a reception after his poetry reading. During his poetry reading, an uptight young man stood up and yelled at Ginsberg: "I can't believe you're getting paid to read this sh*t!" As the young man was stomping out of the auditorium, Ginsberg replied nonchalantly, "Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion," which caused the audience to laugh and then applaud Ginsberg, who then continued reading his poem at the spot where he had left off of before Angry young man had interrupted him.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 10-27-01, 12:47 AM

AND...? c'mon, you can't just throw that out there and not give us any details! did burroughs try to put the smackdown on you?
Old 10-27-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by monkeyboy

AND...? c'mon, you can't just throw that out there and not give us any details! did burroughs try to put the smackdown on you?
I doubt if he tried to shoot an apple or a glass off his head! hehehehe!
Old 11-06-01, 06:39 AM

Sorry, I really should frequent this section more often. No, Burroughs and Ginsberg did not hit on me(maybe I should be offended?). Burroughs secretary James however did, but he is a nobody so who cares. I was rolling my own cigarettes at the time and after Burroughs saw me roll a couple of cigarettes he mentioned how he could never quite get the hang of rolling(things that are not tobacco) and asked me if I could help him out. Of course I did and it was probably the weirdest time I ever had with that(I don't even know if I can say this stuff). I asked him if he stilled had his orgone box and he took me out back and let me sit in it. The orgone box(which was mentioned in On The Road and several Burroughs books) looks like an outhouse with the inside being made of iron, and a little cut out window to look through as you sit down. So here I am all red-eyed sitting in this box when Burroughs shoves his face through the hole and starts telling me how lucky I am that Kansas doesn't have any poisonous spiders or I would probably be dead within a few minutes. It creeped me out so much I almost smacked him in the head as I opened the door to get out. We spent the rest of the day drinking vodka and coke talking about different authors and he was telling me tales of living in Europe.
Old 11-08-01, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Sure am!

And look where I'm lucky enough to walk to on my lunch hour!

http://www.citylights.com/

-k
###