Search this Thread

Old 08-03-01, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A Storm of Swords(spoilers)

This is just amazing. I just finished the chapter in A Storm of Swords where:

Spoiler:
Robb and Catelyn are killed.
I am just absolutely floored! About 400 more pages to go in this book. When is the next one coming out?
Old 08-04-01, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like Fall 2002. But I'm sure none of his fans would want him to rush anything.

I mentioned some other related material you could read to pass the time in this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=119967
Old 08-05-01, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That scene floored me too...even though there was a previous scene that hinted something like that might happen. Of course, I discounted the possibility that it would happen (even it worked previously with someone else, I blew it off as coincidence)
Old 08-06-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Yrth
That scene floored me too...even though there was a previous scene that hinted something like that might happen. Of course, I discounted the possibility that it would happen (even it worked previously with someone else, I blew it off as coincidence)
Exactly. I thought, eh, Martin has shocked me before, but he wouldn't do THAT would he? Apparently, he would.
Old 08-06-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just read that two weeks ago.. and my jaw dropped. Finished the book that night. If you thought that chapter was crazy, wait until you get to the epilogue.

Oh, and there are more deaths.
Old 08-06-01, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrKen
I just read that two weeks ago.. and my jaw dropped. Finished the book that night. If you thought that chapter was crazy, wait until you get to the epilogue.

Yeah, the epilogue floored me!
Had to reread it just to make sure I understood what I had just read.
There will be more surprises along the way. Awesome series.Absolutely awesome!
Old 08-07-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
For those who have finished reading the existing books, what do you see in Tyrion's future? I figure he has to leave Westerland (or whatever it's called)- will he hook up with Dany and ride some dragons? Alternatively he may just head to the wall, they could use a dwarf like him, and I suppose he might be safe under the protection of Stannis and Jon Snow.
Old 08-07-01, 06:30 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Spoiler:
For those who have finished reading the existing books, what do you see in Tyrion's future? I figure he has to leave Westerland (or whatever it's called)- will he hook up with Dany and ride some dragons? Alternatively he may just head to the wall, they could use a dwarf like him, and I suppose he might be safe under the protection of Stannis and Jon Snow.
Spoiler:
Tyrion is definitely on the first boat out of Westeros. Even the wall is probably too close for comfort, though maybe Stannis would give him shelter.

I can see Tyrion winding up with Dany, as you suspect. That's possible; Dany has every reason to hate the Lanisters, but maybe she'll recognize that Tyrion is a Lanister in name only, and they will get along well. Alternately, the way Martin writes, Tyrion could wind up with Dany and she could immediately have him executed.

Or he could wind up in the same place Arya is headed. Arya's pretty clearly destined to train with the Faceless Men (or whatever they're called) in the eastern cities, and it would be interesting to see the two of them -- the two most bitter, angry characters -- meet up.

Don't you just love those black boxes? Seriously, if you're a fan of gritty, intense fiction, check out George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. It's really good.
Old 08-07-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by JasonFliegel

Spoiler:
Tyrion is definitely on the first boat out of Westeros. Even the wall is probably too close for comfort, though maybe Stannis would give him shelter.

I can see Tyrion winding up with Dany, as you suspect. That's possible; Dany has every reason to hate the Lanisters, but maybe she'll recognize that Tyrion is a Lanister in name only, and they will get along well. Alternately, the way Martin writes, Tyrion could wind up with Dany and she could immediately have him executed.

Or he could wind up in the same place Arya is headed. Arya's pretty clearly destined to train with the Faceless Men (or whatever they're called) in the eastern cities, and it would be interesting to see the two of them -- the two most bitter, angry characters -- meet up.

Don't you just love those black boxes? Seriously, if you're a fan of gritty, intense fiction, check out George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. It's really good.
Spoiler:
I totally agree with your assessment. I think he'll end up with Dany, but it could go either way there. I wouldn't put it past Martin to kill him, but I really like the character!. Or he could end up with Arya. I can't wait until the next book!
Old 08-09-01, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
I too could see him landing up with Arya. It would be ironic since he looked so long for her while serving as Hand. Plus, as far as the world knows, he killed Joffrey, who is near #1 on Arya's list, so they should get along fine. I was just about to say I don't see them meeting for long, if she is going to be training with the faceless men; but can a dwarf train as a faceless man? Tyrion is already fairly faceless as it is...

I don't really see the latter happening, but it would be funny.

Last edited by MrKen; 08-09-01 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-12-01, 06:59 PM

Re: A Storm of Swords(spoilers)

Originally posted by Alvis
This is just amazing. I just finished the chapter in A Storm of Swords where:

Spoiler:
Robb and Catelyn are killed.
I am just absolutely floored! About 400 more pages to go in this book. When is the next one coming out?
*teehee* my sentiments exactly. When I got to this part, I inadvertantly gasped out "Oh Nooooooo!!!!!" which immediately caused my fiance to ask what happened!!! I wouldn't say anything because I didn't want to ruin it for him but of course I sort of ruined it already since he knew that there was going to be some shocker coming up. Oh well. That's a sign of a truly well written piece of work: the ability to truly capture the reader and allow the reader to become attached to the characters and story but yet introduce twists and turns without disrupting the flow...
Old 08-20-01, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Spoiler:
Ahhhg. I can't tell you how much I detest the Catelyn character. I wish she'd been written out completely!!!! Because her instincts are messed up, she precipitates the whole mess by kidnapping Tyrion. Then she wants Robb to just QUIT fighting. If I had been Robb, I would have sent her packing and told her to keep her nose out. Plus, she hates Jon for something that is not his fault at all, very unfair of her. I hate her!!

But then, I was not a particularly nice teenage kid and was not exactly respectful of my elders.

Old 08-20-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by p1forest

Exactly. I thought, eh, Martin has shocked me before, but he wouldn't do THAT would he? Apparently, he would.
Too true. That was a stunner. Not quite as stunning was....
Spoiler:
the Red Viper being wiped out...I was really liking that character and was hoping some more Dorn stuff would develop; plus that stupid brutal Mountain is still around...I wonder if he'll survive so the Hound can have at him?
Old 08-26-01, 04:33 PM

Well, I finished Storm of Swords a couple of weeks ago. 2002 is such a long way away! I take a couple of days reading the Hedge Knight. Does that character's descendants make any appearances in the other books? I didn't recognize his sigil as it was described in the story.
Old 09-01-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished reading A Storm of Swords...

Spoiler:
These are definitely great books, but Martin's style of putting his characters through the grinder for most of the book before anything good happens to them is pretty onerous. Except for Dany, but am I the only person who finds it difficult to care what she's doing? It's probably partly because she's not yet a part of the greater story.

The best part of this book for me was probably the change in Jaime. I never expected to see him in this light, and I can't wait to see what'll happen to him in the next book. I was almost certain Tyrion was going to die, and was glad to see him survive. I find it pretty funny that my two favorite characters are Lannisters.
Old 09-02-01, 01:44 AM

I just finished reading A Storm of Swords tonight

Spoiler:
My jaw hit the floor when I got to the last page of the book. The fact that Cat is still alive just floored me, though I had a sneaking suspicion that her death wasnt all it seemed. I agree with yrth that she made some pretty poor choices, but I still like her character quite a bit. Though like others, I think my favorite character is Tyrion...

I've heard that the 4th book, supposedly called A Dance With Dragons, takes place 10 years after the end of A Storm of Swords... it will be interesting to see how Martin explains what took place in that time, what with most of the storylines being left in limbo (assasination of Tywin, Catelyns revenge, what Littlefingers plans are, Jon being named Lord Commander and Stannis's reaction, and what he does with Mance Rayder, what Arya does... assasin training sounds good to me )

The only storyline he leaves that's not quite hanging on the edge of a cliff is Dany deciding to be Queen of that city for awhile... and I do like her story, it will be interesting to see what happens with it...

Wish I didnt have to wait until fall 2002

Last edited by bdshort; 09-02-01 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-31-02, 08:20 PM

When will "A Feast of Crows" get here?

Just had to bump this thread back to the top because these books are so good.
Old 03-31-02, 09:56 PM

Best Fantasy Being Written Today!

Hi, I have to just chime in and say that this is one of the best series of books I've ever read. So much better than Robert Jordan or Terry Goodkind.

I do have one quesiton though. I keep hearing two different possible titles for book 4: A Dance With Dragons and A Feast of Crows. Does anyone know which title is "official" ?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The title of the fourth book was changed from A Dance With Dragons to A Feast of Crows. If IIRC, it's because Martin expanded the story-line, and whatever plot device was associated with "Dance with Dragons" would be pushed back to the fifth book. Amazon uk has 2 versions of a Feast For Crows for preorder, but that doesn't really mean anything.

October 21st, 2002: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...798983-6477201

November 4th, 2002:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...798983-6477201

Old 04-03-02, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the pic. I've been looking for this on Amazon(US) but it hasn't shown up yet.
Old 05-10-11, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bdshort
Wish I didnt have to wait until fall 2002
Heh.

I was searching on a completely unrelated topic, and this thread happened to pop up. Just thought it was funny that 10 years later, we're finally about to find out what happens with Tyrion and others.
Old 05-10-11, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Heh.

I was searching on a completely unrelated topic, and this thread happened to pop up. Just thought it was funny that 10 years later, we're finally about to find out what happens with Tyrion and others.
When I started this thread, the first three books had come out in pretty quick succession compared to what is going on now. At that point, I had no idea that it would take Martin 5 years to write Feast and 5 and a half years to write Dance. Hope the last two come somewhat faster.
Old 05-15-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I estimate 6 years for The Winds of Winter and then 7 more years for A Dream of Spring.
Old 05-21-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dugan
I estimate 6 years for The Winds of Winter and then 7 more years for A Dream of Spring.
non-sense, HBO is going to kick GRRM's ass into gear.

If you think they can split season 3 into 2 seasons....he has some time left to finish 6 and 7
Old 05-22-11, 09:30 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
non-sense, HBO is going to kick GRRM's ass into gear.

If you think they can split season 3 into 2 seasons....he has some time left to finish 6 and 7
Yeah, they got plenty of time, the plan is to split book three into two seasons, and if book 5 is as long as three, there is another two seasons. That's seven seasons right there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.