Recommend a great fantasy book series to me

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Recommend a great fantasy book series to me

Old 09-12-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Recommend a great fantasy book series to me

Originally Posted by Gilgamesh1082 View Post
I won't lie, I sank two weeks into the first two books, and the majority of that was on GotM. As Sean has mentioned, you slog through it, and by the time the last 100-150 pages comes around, you're on an even keel finally. And then he throws you across a continent to an entirely different set of characters for book 2. GotM was the author's first published work and it shows. By the time Chain of Dogs came out, he had developed as a writer tremendously. The quality pick up between books 1 and 2 is simply astounding. And somehow he manages to best that going into book 3, Memories of Ice.

I was warned by others going into the series that Gardens is easily its greatest trying point. But the reward is so colossal. You owe it to yourself as a fantasy lover to make it past those first 700 pages.
Yeah, I will try. For now though I have Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (quite good so far) and then Towers of Midnight so it will be a whle before I can get to it.
Old 09-20-10, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone read The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko? I've seen it a couple times at the book store and considered picking it up. It sounds cool and it's Russian fantasy so you know it must be dark and intense
Old 09-20-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paratize View Post
Hmm...why not try the greatest book(s) ever written: THE LORD OF THE RINGS !
Yeah, if you have any interest in High Fantasy and the genre, then whatever you may think of it, The Lord of the Rings is a watershed work that you should read. I'd say take a look at Richard Adams' Watership Down in many ways one of the best successors to Tolkien. If you want to got back to the roots of the genre, check out Robert E. Howard's original pulp stories about Conan the Barbarian, Bran Mak Morn, and Kull. Or for a bit of revisionism, look to Michael Moorcock's Elric stories. If you're looking that doesn't involve good vs. evil and has a more contemporary flavor, Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novel series is a fascinating and intriguing, if highly complex and difficult piece of work.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-20-10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-21-10, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been reading Elizabeth Haydon's Rhapsody/Prophecy/Destiny books. She was a newbie author. I enjoyed the first book, Rhapsody, a lot...although it got a little tedious with a section in the middle.

I'm not sure where I stand on them yet -they seem entertaining, but I can't recommend yet. I either need to finish the ones she has written (waiting for book 3 to show up in the mail) or re-read the series before I'm certain.
Old 09-28-10, 02:50 PM

I love books by Karen Miller (K.E. Mills) and Terry Brooks. Both have great fantasy based stories that keep you glued to the books.
Old 12-04-10, 10:41 PM

I agree with you about Martin, but fortunately I have discovered another writer that creates worlds with the same "take no prisoners" attitude. His name is Walter Rhein, and his book The Bone Sword is a must read!

To a lesser extent, I'd recommend Lawrence Watt Evans and his Ethshar series.

Thanks for the other recommendations from the people on this forum!
Old 12-06-10, 09:34 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by benedict View Post
I believe that Rob Holdstock's Merlin Codex sequence is complete, with all three now available in paperback.

I loved Gene Wolfe's first pair of "Soldier" books and consider that Holdstock's work has a similar feel in that he (kind of) puts fantasy in a "real" historical setting.

I have a treat coming up, having recently ordered Holdstock's The Broken Kings and Wolfe's Soldier of Sidon
Just finishing this off again and would emphasise my original recommendation. Holdstock's Mythago Wood is another excellent, non-standard fantasy to which he added a number of related volumes over the years; culminating quite recently with Avilion which I'm putting on a wishlist.

Sadly, Holdstock died at the end of last year aged just 61 of organ failure brought on by an e-coli infection. From the memorial pages he was hugely popular fellow in addition to being a highly regarded voice in the fantasy field.
Old 12-11-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Maybe a little early for this recommendation as a series, but Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind is fantastic. Best new fantasy I've read since GRR Martin. Second book out in April.
Old 12-11-10, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
Maybe a little early for this recommendation as a series, but Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind is fantastic. Best new fantasy I've read since GRR Martin. Second book out in April.
I've talked about it many times here, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in it. I think Sanderson's new Stormlight series has a better first book, but Rothfuss's book is phenomenal. The only thing that keeps it from being perfect, is it woefully goes way off course with with something in the last quarter of the book.
Old 12-11-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
Based on the two recommendations I will check it out. Good fantasy is hard to come by.
Old 12-12-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17 View Post
I've talked about it many times here, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in it. I think Sanderson's new Stormlight series has a better first book, but Rothfuss's book is phenomenal. The only thing that keeps it from being perfect, is it woefully goes way off course with with something in the last quarter of the book.
Agreed. There's one strange little detour that didn't make a lot of sense--I'm sure we're talking about the same thing. Although maybe it will fall into place later down the line.