Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend a great fantasy book series to me

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Recommend a great fantasy book series to me

Old 01-26-05, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shady12
I got done reading Legend by Gemmell a couple weeks ago and didn't like it at all. One problem is that I like for fantasy books to have a map of the world.. All these places were talked about in the book and it would have helped A LOT if I could have been able to picture where all these places were in relation to one another..would have made it MUCH more interesting. And I didn't care a bit about any of the characters although Druss and Rek ended up being kind of interesting. Just seemed like a short and uninteresting book.
Yeah, I agree with you on all aspects that you mentioned on Legend. It was one of his earlier books, definitely not his best. I thought Legend was bland, but okay. He has gotten alot better since then. It sounds like you didn't enjoy it but if you thought it was okay, I would recommend that you give it another chance with some of his later books. IMO, Winter Warriors, Hero In The Shadows, Swords of Night And Day, Sword In The Storm, Ravenheart and the Sipstrassi tales are some of his better works. So if you have the time, give one of them a shot...
Old 01-26-05, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
The other thing I liked is that Gemmell writes in a very entertaining way and is the master of hooking me so that I end up reading far longer than I planned. For example, he'll have two characters talking about setting up an ambush. Then the next chapter will be about another character. The chapter after that starts with someone running away from the ambush. And it's not until a little ways in that he'll even talk about the ambush. So I'm halfway through the chapter before I find out what exactly happened at the ambush and now we are on to another scenario I'm interested in.
Yeah, David Gemmell has a different approach to his writing. He can really get you hook with his story telling and especially his characters IMO. The characteristics of the characters are portrayed with a sense of realism...the confliction, the anger, the hate, the love and such are very well expressed in the writing...the characters are likable as well because of it all. At least I think so. His latter books are way better than his old ones.
Old 01-26-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may give some of his later stuff a try at some point. One thing I didn't like is how from sentence to sentence it would switch perspectives to the thoughts of another character..it would always take me a minute to realize it happened so I'd have to start reading the sentence/paragraph again.
Old 01-26-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Shady12
I may give some of his later stuff a try at some point. One thing I didn't like is how from sentence to sentence it would switch perspectives to the thoughts of another character..it would always take me a minute to realize it happened so I'd have to start reading the sentence/paragraph again.
Yeah, that took a little getting used to. But I don't remember being confused by it. Maybe he got better at it later on
Old 01-26-05, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wouldn't say it confused me..but it made things not flow very well.
Old 01-29-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by benedict
Certainly in the UK, "The Runes of the Earth: The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" have been available in hardback for a few months now....

Amazon.co.uk

I read the first couple of pages at BaM this afternoon. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it on the shelf. Let's see.....30% off with an additional 10% off with a BaM card....it's a no-brainer.
Old 01-31-05, 04:43 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought Stephen Kings Dark Tower series was pretty good.
Old 02-07-05, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have read all five of Steven Erikson's series Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. This is the best series that I have read so far. It is huge and complex, with characters that keep you coming back for more. I have read A Song of Ice and Fire series and I have to say it runs second to Steven Erikson. Erikson also writes faster that Martin. The sixth installment of the series comes out around July.

If you read Erikson's work, don't give up on the story. The books are hard to understand, but well worth it in the end. There is a whole website devoted to his work, go to www.malazanempire.com

This series is great and the first 2 books are avalible in the US now, but all five can be gotten from the Amazon.ca in mass marketpaperback.
Old 02-08-05, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by gusamo
I have read all five of Steven Erikson's series Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. This is the best series that I have read so far. It is huge and complex, with characters that keep you coming back for more. I have read A Song of Ice and Fire series and I have to say it runs second to Steven Erikson. Erikson also writes faster that Martin. The sixth installment of the series comes out around July.

If you read Erikson's work, don't give up on the story. The books are hard to understand, but well worth it in the end. There is a whole website devoted to his work, go to www.malazanempire.com

This series is great and the first 2 books are avalible in the US now, but all five can be gotten from the Amazon.ca in mass marketpaperback.
I've been hearing really good things about Erikson for a little while now. Has he given any indication on how many books his series will be?
Old 02-10-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

10 I believe and it looks like they are being pumped out at about 1 per year. I actually just finished the first book in the series today. Tough going for awhile because it's very complex and it doesn't waste space to explain the world and how things work so you have to figure it out gradually as you go. I hear it takes several books before you fully understand the what and why of everything. I wish it did explain everything because it would make it more enjoyable to know what was going on.
Old 10-03-07, 10:06 PM

Series was probably mentioned but . . .

I'm not in front of the books at the moment so name might be spelled incorrectly. Dennis McKiernan's books are always good reads, first trilogy might be a bit too LoTR for you, but you should get through it to get the basics down. The Novels he has written that are set in the same world are all quite good. DragonDoom may be my favorite, i'm a sucker for that ending.
Old 10-04-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OCdiggs
I'm not in front of the books at the moment so name might be spelled incorrectly. Dennis McKiernan's books are always good reads, first trilogy might be a bit too LoTR for you, but you should get through it to get the basics down. The Novels he has written that are set in the same world are all quite good. DragonDoom may be my favorite, i'm a sucker for that ending.
You just revived a thread from 2005, dude
Old 03-26-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
You just revived a thread from 2005, dude

So what? Aren't we always getting on people because they do not use the search function. I mean he wasn't just bumping it for the sake of bumping

Old 03-26-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
So what? Aren't we always getting on people because they do not use the search function. I mean he wasn't just bumping it for the sake of bumping

Old 03-27-08, 02:19 AM

I just love thread-revivals! I really tried to jump on the Erickson carpet ride and just love the first novel, then the 2nd came with the 'ascendants' concept and just killed it for me. Gave up mid way through book 3.

Honestly, in all my time reading, I've never had a flame out as fast as this series.
Old 03-29-08, 07:17 AM

Different strokes then. I thought Memories of Ice was the finest novel I have ever read. Period. You really have to power through the first two books, but by the time you get halfway through Memories of Ice, the biggest payoff of any series ever starts happening. Seriously, I didn't appreciate just how good the first 3 books were until I was halfway through book 5, The Midnight Tides. Plus Tides introduces the greatest "married" couple in fantasy, Tehol Beddict and his "manservant," Bugg. Some of the funniest fantasy is written in those two characters.

And its sad. This thread reminds me that we still haven't gotten a new Fire and Ice novel yet from Martin. Gods, what a lazy bastard.
Old 03-29-08, 08:46 AM

Ice and Fire....
Old 03-29-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
Ice and Fire....

I finally started book 2 of this. I loved the first, so hopefully it's more of the same. (it was a while in between readings, so I listened to it on tape a 2nd time as a refresher, there is just so much going on).

Does anyone know if there has been any more word on the HBO series?
Old 03-29-08, 09:22 AM

According to Wikipedia,

Martin reported in August 2007 that the first draft of the script is complete[7] and stated in November that the script was approved and budgeting has begun. It should be noted, however, that the series has still not been officially greenlit, and the 2007 Writers Guild of America strike could have delayed the process
Old 03-29-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks, thats the last I had heard too, I was hoping the end of the strike may have helped push things along.
Old 04-14-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
One series I would add to this thread is the new one by Patrick Rothfuss that starts with "The Name of the Wind." It is really quite excellent, and highly recommended.
Old 04-14-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Weave World is epic. The book was split into four books but it might be sold a single book now.
Old 04-15-08, 03:38 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just discovered Paul Park's Roumania series: A Princess of Roumania, The Tourmaline, The White Tyger and a final book still to be published. Similar to Pullman but Park may be both a better fantasist and writer.
Old 04-15-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
On the same theme are any of the series mentioned complete? Or could people recommend any single books. I do love ice and fire but I'll be damn if I can remember any of the names or who went where in between books.
Old 04-15-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Weave World is epic. The book was split into four books but it might be sold a single book now.
Weaveworld is indeed epic.

But the split-into-four thing indicates that you're thinking of Imajica.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.