Favorite Tom Clancy books?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Favorite Tom Clancy books?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-01, 10:19 PM
Banned

Location: inSide A soDA can....pleaSE sumbody stOp tHe FiZziNG!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished Rainbow Six and enjoyed it very much. Do any of his other books have the Chavez and Clark characters in them?
Old 07-04-01, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Red Storm Rising has Clark and Jack Ryan
Clear and Present Danger has Clark and Chavez (also Ryan)
Sum of all Fears Clark and Chavez (also Ryan)
Debt of Honor Clark and Chavez (also Ryan)
Without Remorse Clark
Cardinal of the Kremlin Clark

I think that's it. Try http://www.tcic.org for more info than you could ever want.

My favorite Clancy books aren't actually written by him. I'm partial to Op Center books.

Old 07-04-01, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Red Storm Rising. I've always wanted to see it made into a movie but I can see way no one has done it as it would probably be the most expensive movie ever made if it werelive action ,but after seeing the Final Fantasy trailers I think it would awesome to use that kind of computer generated animation to make a Red Storm Rising movie.
Old 07-04-01, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Hunt for Red October was the only book of his I could actually read all the way through. I tried picking up some of the others but find I lose interest quickly.

Old 07-04-01, 04:30 PM

None. I really don't like Clancy at all. In fact I use him (and John Grisham) as my literary litmus tests for people who recommend books to me. If they really like either of those two, I don't value their recommendations very highly.
Old 07-05-01, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Funk
None. I really don't like Clancy at all. In fact I use him (and John Grisham) as my literary litmus tests for people who recommend books to me. If they really like either of those two, I don't value their recommendations very highly.
Can I put you down as my literary litmus test? If you don't like Clancy, why on earth would you even bother opening this thread? For that matter, why would you post a reply? Just curious but is this your way of telling us that you only prefer literatura obscura and can't be bothered with the mainstream press?

Old 07-05-01, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Trolls. You must be familiar with them?

At any rate, maybe I should follow up my comment about losing interest in the other books. I really enjoyed Hunt For Red October and thought it was much better than the movie. The thing about Clancy is that his books (at least his first few) are very similar. I'm not big into military stories, so coming at it from a sheer entertainment angle there isn't much in the later books to hold my interest.

Maybe I should give him another try.
Old 07-05-01, 06:41 PM

Just curious but is this your way of telling us that you only prefer literatura obscura and can't be bothered with the mainstream press?
No, I like alot of mainstream books. Actually, I like anything that's well-written. I don't think that anything by Clancy is. He's not a good writer and, from what I've read, not someone who I consider to have much value as a human being. Just my opinion. I'm not a troll; I was merely joining on the conversation.
Old 07-05-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite is Clear and Present Danger
Old 07-10-01, 02:49 PM

Are any other readers disappointed over the way Clancy's writing has (IMO) deteriorated over the past two books?

In my mind, Rainbow Six was his worst book thus far, and things didn't improve much afterwards. Cardinal of the Kremlin, Clear and Present Danger, Red Storm Rising, Patriot Games, The Hunt for Red October, all are books I consider truly excellent, but in Rainbow Six it was as if he had been given orders to form a story around one idea, and only that idea. I was extremely disappointed in the result, and I am a huge fan of his work.

Did anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?
Old 07-10-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I loved Red storm rising, but I want more books dealing with large scale warfare. It seems most of his books are about terrorist and CIA investigations.
Old 07-11-01, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red Storm Rising is the favorite of mine. I've also thought that the last couple of books have gone downhill. Things have just been working out to conveniantly, and there are just too many links from prior characters and books. He should kill of one or more of the main characters, liven things up a bit. As far as the Jack Ryan series, the favorite is Without Remorse.

Dave
Old 07-13-01, 10:19 AM

Dave...

I think you mean Clark, right? Jack Ryan wasn't in "Without Remorse"... although I think his Dad was.
Old 07-14-01, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Sum of All Fears followed closely by Red Storm Rising
Old 07-14-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really liked the finale of Sum of All Fears, though it was very slow in the beginning.
Old 07-14-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i would have to say the duo of debt of honor and executive orders. if they made those into movies, especially executive orders, they would be awesome if done correctly.
Old 07-17-01, 12:16 PM
J_J

Have you read the Op-Center series.

These are interesting, have good plots and quick to go through.

Co-written by Steve Pieczenik.

Your thoughts?

J_J
Old 07-19-01, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Funk

No, I like alot of mainstream books. Actually, I like anything that's well-written. I don't think that anything by Clancy is. He's not a good writer and, from what I've read, not someone who I consider to have much value as a human being.
actually, i've seen clancy in several interviews, and he doesn't pretend to be a fantastic writer. he doesn't use the language to create something wonderful... he uses the language to tell a story (and he does so quite well). he's not as poetic as other writers, nor as flowery, but that's not what he is trying to do. when asked how others should start writing, he said that they should copy another writer's style... that is what he claims that he did when he started.

i respect his storytelling abilities... his style isn't much to behold (and frankly i found that he repeated certain lines far too often in rainbow six) but it's straight to the point (much like his characters).

saying that you don't value our opinions on literature because we like his books, places you in that noble position of imposing stereotypes upon other readers. not something to be very proud of.

i read and write voraciously. my poetry and fiction has been published... but then that probably doesn't matter much to you... seeing as i enjoyed rainbow six.

be open to others' opinions, friend.
Old 07-20-01, 10:35 PM

Clear And Present Danger is my favorite; The Bear And The Dragon is the worst (in the Jack Ryan/John Clark series). I've been a huge fan of Clancy's Jack Ryan and John Clark novels, and even Red Storm Rising but not so much the Op-Centre stuff. The dialogue he gives his characters is also starting to irritate me because everyone speaks/sounds the same. His plots aren't as gripping as they used to be - how many crises can there be? Also seems like we are running out of enemies as well, which is why Rainbow Six vs. terrorists is such a good idea because terrorists are every nations' enemy.

To Skywa|ker:
Yes, I thought Clancy's style started to deteriorate with Rainbow Six. I didn't exactly hate the novel but it felt tedious getting to the finish. The Bear And The Dragon is even worse. But like I said above, Clancy is running out of a national enemy so I guess he had to resort to fighting terrorism. What I would really like to read about is another theoritical war in the vein of Red Storm Rising, between Canada and the U.S.A. It would just be interesting to consider a large scale border war with modern weapons.

Last edited by Kwasi Chan; 07-20-01 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-23-01, 02:59 PM

Kwasi...

What I would really like to read about is another theoritical war in the vein of Red Storm Rising, between Canada and the U.S.A. It would just be interesting to consider a large scale border war with modern weapons.

Hee hee! That would be a hoot. Let's see... the book would be about four chapters long, I think, with the Canadian's being over-run in about a week. I'm Canadian, and while I love my country, I'm afraid our military is a good sight behind the U.S., in terms of modern weaponry and number of troops. (No slight on our armed forces... the people are just as good, IMO, but the tools and sheer numbers would be lacking...)

As for Clancy, I wish he would return to the Red Storm Rising days of his writing. Far better. I fear we may have seen the last of those golden days, however.
Old 07-25-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've read all of his books and nearly all of the Op-Center books as well. My fave - The Sum of All Fears. In addition to the fact that the explosion wipes out the Vikings chance at winning the Super Bowl, it's a great story.
Old 07-27-01, 03:55 PM

Skywa|ker:

I am Canadian, too!

If there ever is a book about a conventional war between Canada and the USA, I was thinking of something more interesting to draw it out more. Obviously, Canada's military might pales in comparison to the USA but suppose we had allies. Imagine America being hammered from both coasts, Mexico, and the border we share. I don't think even the USA would last long (defensively) with such an attack, ie, having to defend its borders against conventional attacks using current weapons (which is what I am really interested in). After WW2, the USA haven't really had to worry about a land invasion. All their big battles were fought in other countries.
Old 07-29-01, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Scarecrow
Red Storm Rising has Clark and Jack Ryan

Actually, Red Storm Rising does not have Jack Ryan or John Clark. It operates outside of the other books continuity.

My "litmus" test for a good book is one that I can't put down and when I do put it down, I am trying to find a way to pick it back up again. I think what makes Clancy a good author is that his books, while fiction are close enough to events that "could happen" and he makes it believeable.
Old 07-29-01, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kwasi Chan
Skywa|ker:

I am Canadian, too!

If there ever is a book about a conventional war between Canada and the USA, I was thinking of something more interesting to draw it out more. Obviously, Canada's military might pales in comparison to the USA but suppose we had allies. Imagine America being hammered from both coasts, Mexico, and the border we share. I don't think even the USA would last long (defensively) with such an attack, ie, having to defend its borders against conventional attacks using current weapons (which is what I am really interested in). After WW2, the USA haven't really had to worry about a land invasion. All their big battles were fought in other countries.
Read Red Storm Rising as to why we would win, even against a(n) numerical superior army(ies).
Old 07-29-01, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I'm new to Mr. Clancy's work, what books should I start with?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.