Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What are your criteria for buying a book?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What are your criteria for buying a book?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-01, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 241 Likes on 109 Posts
I read fiction.

For me, I look for an interesting story (boy, is that getting harder & harder to find - doesn't everything seem to be the same?), a thick book (better for character development) and a favorable New York Times review.

What do you look for?
Old 06-30-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually consider if I know and like the author, or if I've had the book recommended to me, and if the story sounds interesting.

As for length -- I strongly favor *SHORT* books lately! I've been really burned with some super-thick ones that were clearly bloated, and (with a good editor) would have gone from a boring, draggy book to a fast-paced good book. I'd rather finish a book and say "Wow, that was great, I wish there were more!" than finish it and say "Man, I sure am glad to be done with that at last!"
Old 07-01-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First for me is author. Then I will check out the back cover or jacket blurb about the story.

If I'm not familiar with the author and the blurb hasn't caught my interest then I have a little test...

I read the first sentence. If it grabs me, I buy. If it's "pretty good" I might read the first paragraph. If I like, I buy.

I know this could be considered not particularly fair to the story, but it has generally worked for me. Meaning, if I've been intrigued enough by an opening to buy the book, I usually end up liking it.

Look at the first sentences of books you've loved. Then read some from books you've hated. See if it works for you.
Old 07-01-01, 01:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although I never actually go so afr as to read the first page of works of fiction in the shop or at the library, I'm with BoatDrinks when it comes to looking for authors and blurbs. I'll also usually remember when I've seen a positive review somewhere and notice the book on the shelves.

As it happens, I'm not really buying novels at all right now: I have too many unread (as well as fiction magazines). That said, I stretched the rule a little this weekend when I picked up a one-volume collection (Fantasy Masterworks, Millenniun UK) of Jack Vance's Tales of the Dying Earth. What motivated me to buy it was a number of very positive reviews over the years. Would you believe that the constituent four novels respectively were published in 1950, 1966, 1983 and 1984?!?!

I'd also automatically pick up anything new by Gene Wolfe who is said to have been influenced by that work of Vance but who, I'd say, is himself the master of science fantasy.
Old 07-01-01, 01:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

For science-fiction and fantasy readers....

.... I'd recommend Dave Langford's reviews.

Where positive, they comprise a good criterion for buying any books within the genre, methinks!

More of his stuff here

[Edited by benedict on 07-01-01 at 11:51 AM]
Old 07-01-01, 03:19 PM

If I enjoy a book by an author, I'll usually try other books by the same author.

I've never tried just reading the first sentence. I checked out some of my favorite books and I have to say the first sentence did grab me. Interesting idea.

I read so quickly and so often that short books just go too fast. I guess I like my books with some "meat" to them.

As far as the New York Times review, I've found that I almost always agree with them. I wonder if it's the same reviewer or if they have many different people who review books.
Old 07-01-01, 08:03 PM

BoatDrinks - I picked up "The Traveling Vampire Show" by Richard Laymon today. The blurb on the back looked interesting, the book was just thick enough but no N.Y. Times review so I read the first sentence. It was interesting enough so I bought the book. I'll have to let you know in a few days if, in this case, it worked.
Old 07-11-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Author first. If I like an author I buy every single one of his/her books.

Then I go to recommendations of friends. If they recommend a book that's less than $10 I'll buy it.

Then I go to Amazon recommendations - because I take the time to fill out rating on their recs, they've become pretty darn accurate.

I don't even go to reviews because I already have a much larger stack than I could possibly read in a year.

eagerly awaiting the next Christopher Moore book

-Steph
Adult DVD Talk
Old 07-11-01, 04:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Prompted by StephDunn 's post, I started thinking back to when I first went online and stumbled across this guy's project/music recommendatioin site called The Similarities Engine and, I was wondering if there was anything er.... similar for books.

I don't exactly mean what they have at Amazon; just a site that might ask you a few questions and then make suggestions. I have plenty of books to read but I like this kind of gimmicky site that shows me if I am consistent!

Old 07-11-01, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by benedict
Prompted by StephDunn 's post, I started thinking back to when I first went online and stumbled across this guy's project/music recommendatioin site called The Similarities Engine and, I was wondering if there was anything er.... similar for books.

I don't exactly mean what they have at Amazon; just a site that might ask you a few questions and then make suggestions. I have plenty of books to read but I like this kind of gimmicky site that shows me if I am consistent!
If you go back to the archives of the old dvdTalk, you might find that post by Startide which DID list this type of book search engine where you select (via pulldowns) various criteria. The database then comes up with any number of book recommendations based upon your criteria. *nudges Geoff* Can the archive be created from backups??
Old 07-12-01, 01:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

.... or can Startide find it among his many bookmarks and repost?

Old 07-13-01, 06:17 PM

1) Price - at least 25% off list. This virtually eliminates almost all paperbacks. At least 40% off on fiction.
2) Genre - SF/Fantasy, or Nonfiction-Computers
3) Author
4) Reviews

Most recent example:
1) $7 (list 24.95)
2) SF
3) Frank Herbert
4) High

The book: Dune (hardback)
Old 07-13-01, 08:27 PM

If I'm merely browsing at the book store or the library, then I just look around until a title catches my eye. I then read a little of the inside cover jacket and if it seems interesting then I buy it.

If I'm already familiar with the author then usually (like others who have posted) I usually buy/borrow all the books written by the author.

I usually don't go on recommendations made by friends oddly enough since I have different tastes from them and since I like browsing. You never know what gem you'll find on your own!