Yet another LOTR question... [merged]

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Yet another LOTR question... [merged]

Old 06-27-01, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When Sam and Frodo meet Gollum in book IV, is
Spoiler:
Smeagol gollums "real name" as in before he found the Ring?
Old 06-27-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep. That was explained to Frodo by Gandalf in FOTR when he comes to verify that this ring was The Ring. Gandalf gives the history of the ring and how it came into Smeagol's ownership.
Old 06-27-01, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK thanks, it's my first time through these books, I know I know...what was I waiting for...and I just wanted to be sure without hunting back through FOTR...but I guess I should look back...

PLus I always seem to put this book down for a couple days and read a different book...
Old 08-08-01, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOTR question: Re the appendix.

I am nearly finished the book...I'm at the
Spoiler:
return to the shire...the uprising part
and I am wondering if it is worth it to read through the appendixes{appendi?} or is it for the hardcore people? Let me know your thoughts.
Old 08-08-01, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the very least, read Appendix A. It tells you the events that occured before LOTR (basically what happened in The Silmarillion) which sheds a whole new light on some things; but most importantly, it tells you what happened to the remaining characters after the events of LOTR. The fate of Aragorn & Arwen is terribly sad.
The other appendices are things like a pronunciation guide and notes on the languages of Middle-earth (LOTR is really about language and nothing more), family trees, the Shire calendar, things like that; but you may find them interesting.
Old 08-08-01, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iright, I just finished the book tonite...I'll read Appendix A...I checked out some of the pronunciations and stuff already...

thanks.
Old 08-09-01, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd suggest to scan through it, not read it like the novel. Find the interesting pieces and skip what you don't like. I've always wondered why they put an appendices in the book to begin with. It seems pretty hardcore to me, but I'm sure there are people who have memorized them; just like there are people who can actually speak Klingon.
Old 08-09-01, 03:39 PM

Unlike Klingon, which is a made-up language (making up nonsense words, whatever sounds good to the creators), Quenya (Tolkien's High Elvish), and to a lesser extent his other languages, is a real language that actually has a natural evolution to it and very specific rules of grammar.
You can learn to speak it and learn about the other languages he contrived at this site: http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/
Old 09-04-02, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Hmmmm. Good question.

Your theory makes sense, but I suspect it may have more to do with the fact that it is The all-powerful One Ring, and as such has a number of magical elements reflective of the user's wishes (ex. invisibility).
Old 09-04-02, 03:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

[Various answers about ring and visibility]

http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/ringfaq.htm#Inv-Why

http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/ringfaq.htm#3-Invisible

http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/ringf...-SauronVisible
Old 09-07-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't read benedict's links, but I think that any mortal will become invisible by wearing the ring. A maiar would not become invisible, in fact Tom Bombadil made the ring dissapear when he put it on.
Old 09-12-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
My question:

Was Frodo Bilbo's cousin or nephew? It seems I remember him being his cousin in the books but almost every tv and film adaptation refer to him as Bilbo's nephew.
Old 09-12-02, 09:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Nephew
Old 11-26-02, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Question about LOTR books, how come only men...

How come only men fought against Sauron in the war? Other than Gimli and Legolas, I don't recall reading anything about elves or dwarves participating. Is it because dwarves supposedly don't care about anything else but their own wealth and elves are all leaving middle earth? Or what...I'm sure there' s a good reason, I just don't know it. You'd think that if they could, they woulda helped Gondor and Rohan out a bit.
Old 11-26-02, 05:24 AM
Uber Member

Others will come in with the full story, but I believe the Elves were concerned with matters up North, and played a vital role in keeping the lower areas from being attacked on another front.

I don't believe there were that many dwarves left and they were all in the North as well...less sure about that though....
Old 11-26-02, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've read all three books and I don't think that's it. I don't see what "issues up north" could be more important than fighting Sauron in what would determine the future of middle earth. I also don't remember anything about the "lack of dwarves." Once again, I could be wrong because I've only done one read through on the books, but I don't think "we're busy" is a good reason enough.
Old 11-26-02, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts
The Elves took a more active role against Sauron the first time around.

However, during the "War of the Ring" (events in the LOTR trilogy), the Elves were leaving Middle Earth, so what few that were actually left had little interest in saving Middle Earth, as they were returning to the Valinar (the Undying Lands).

One of the themes of the trilogy is that it is about the ascendancy of Man into the dominant race on Earth.
Old 11-26-02, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about the dwarves?
Old 11-26-02, 10:35 AM

I thought both the elves and dwarves were pretty much dwindling races by the times of LotR.. the elves, as mentioned, where leaving middle earth, and the dwarves were just going extinct, but IIRC
Spoiler:
some dwarves did come to help
I could be wrong about the last part though.
Old 11-26-02, 12:47 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by mytzplyx
I've read all three books and I don't think that's it. I don't see what "issues up north" could be more important than fighting Sauron in what would determine the future of middle earth. I also don't remember anything about the "lack of dwarves." Once again, I could be wrong because I've only done one read through on the books, but I don't think "we're busy" is a good reason enough.
Sorry, should have been more specific. The "troubles" I mentioned were other parts of Sauron's army.

http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/w/warofthering.html
Sauron at all times held the military advantage in the War, due to his overwhelming forces; not only Orcs and Trolls, but Men of Harad and the East. His main immediate object was the overthrow of Gondor, his near neighbour and the strongest of his enemies. He had such forces at his command, though, that he was able to fight the war on many fronts, also attacking Dale, Erebor and the Wood-elves in the far north, and Lórien from his secondary stronghold at Dol Guldur. There can be no doubt that, had the Wise not achieved possession of the Ring, Sauron would ultimately have been victorious.
Lorien, by the way, is the place where Galadriel lived. Erebor is where Smaug (from the Hobbit) was, and was a Dwarven stronghold.
Old 11-26-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Aah, thanks a lot man. That clears things up. I just wish that maybe Tolkien could have given them more mention while the story went along.
Old 04-06-03, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Lord of the Rings questions (spoilers)

Well I just finished reading Lord of the Rings, the whole thing. I thought the story was really great. I didn't read the 100+ page appendix at the end, so maybe these questions are answered there..... but anyway...

What is in the west? The elves want to go there... why? Why can't they just stay where they are? I get the idea that it's just some other continent that they take a boat to... is that land over there just like Middle Earth? Or, is it some huge burrial island where they all go to die? Or is it just thought of as them just "going to heaven" or whatever...? Why did Gandalf, Bilbo and Frodo go with them in the end? They're not elves.

Aragorn and his ancestors came to middle earth a long time ago. Did they come from this holy west-place? If so why didn't they stay? Why can't/won't they go back?

What's the deal with Tom Bombadil? Why didn't he want the ring? Who is he, exactly, and what about his lady-friend?

Will Bilbo and Frodo, being ringbearers, ever die, or will they just wither away into a gollum-thing? In the end Bilbo is very old but still hanging on...

OK, That's all I can think of right now, but there will be more...
Old 04-06-03, 06:10 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Lord of the Rings questions (spoilers)

Originally posted by necros
Who is he, exactly, and what about his lady-friend?
"She's not my special lady friend, man. I'm just helping her conceive."

Tom Bombadil abides.
Old 04-06-03, 09:11 PM

Re: Lord of the Rings questions (spoilers)

Originally posted by necros
I didn't read the 100+ page appendix at the end, so maybe these questions are answered there..... but anyway...
Yup.
Old 04-06-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Lord of the Rings questions (spoilers)

Originally posted by Groucho
Tom Bombadil abides.
Mind if I do a J?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.