Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Science-Fiction "Action" Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-01, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. We all know that science fiction comes in different flavors. We have the "hard" sci-fi where the writers drown us in physics (). Not that I don't enjoy those now and then. But I want to talk about "action" sci-fi.

In this "genre" I would recommend the World of Tiers series by Philip Jose Farmer. The only thing that stops me from very strongly recommending these is the sixth (last) in the series. It disappointed me.

I remember reading the first five almost twenty years ago when I was about 15. They blew me away. I loved them. It had some cool science and a very interesting premise: pocket universes created by "Lords." They had everything: savage creatures, centaurs, Indians, immortality, swashbuckling, knights, hippies, you name it. Fun stuff.

Anyone else read these?
Old 05-24-01, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't read those, but I've seen them around.

Anyone read Alan Dean Foster's trilogy "The Damned?" I know a lot of people don't like Foster, but I liked this series. It was about 2 opposing groups of aliens, and how one group finds Earth. Of course, the humans become involved. The main human character tries to get the aliens to leave, saying how humans are peace-loving creatures, but what was interesting is how the aliens see how it's not true by analyzing human history and society, like violence on television. This, of course, makes the humans the best soldiers in the group.
Old 05-25-01, 10:11 AM

Is the World of Tiers a great epic series? Can anyone tell me of a GREAT epic of sci-fi action? (I guess I'm kind of looking for something that's a great epic like Martin's fantasy books). I haven't read any sci fi books in a long time, so I have no idea what's what.
Old 05-25-01, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No. The World of Tiers books are not Epic. They are just fun to read.

The series starts out like this: an old man is looking into buying a house and is viewing it with his wife and a realtor. He's unhappy with the way his life has been. He is inspecting the basement by himself when he hears music...it's coming from the closet. Is he hearing things? He opens it and sees a different world with a young guy on a rock, blowing a horn, surrounded by fierce man-like creatures who are trying to get him. He thinks he is imagining stuff when the young guy sees him and throws the horn at him. The horn whacks him. The entrance to the other world closes.

Thus begins the series. Don't worry, old people don't populate this series and there are physically fit characters who get into all kinds of fighting.

It's interesing because the characters have to deal with all kinds of cultures and have to work with a combination of weapons that both relatively low-tech such as bows and arrows and high-tech such as "beamers" (his word for lasers).
Old 05-25-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd say the Gaia Trilogy by John Varley. Three books: Titan, Wizard and Demon...

Very exciting and action-packed, tremendously fun and well-written--if a bit silly at times. It features an ass-kicking female hero, like Ripley or Lara Croft, who starts the series as an astronaut explorer, but is already nearly a God by midpoint in the series.

Without getting too spoilerish--

The trilogy takes place inside a massive living wheel-ship, discovered hiding around one of the gas giants. It's the size of a small planet, filled with different continents and species. Of course, the all-powerful central personality is growing insane, and posing a security threat to Earth, as well as "creating" ever-more-unlikely lifeforms within its walls to amuse itself...

[Edited by adamblast on 05-25-01 at 09:42 AM]
Old 05-25-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Shamu
Is the World of Tiers a great epic series? Can anyone tell me of a GREAT epic of sci-fi action? (I guess I'm kind of looking for something that's a great epic like Martin's fantasy books). I haven't read any sci fi books in a long time, so I have no idea what's what.
Well, I wouldn't call it epic, but Paul O. Williams' "Pelbar Cycle" are about as close as I can come to epic action sci-fi. I admit it is a stretch though.

It is set in the far future and in what used to be the U.S. The books are:
1: Breaking of Northwall,
2: Ends of the Circle
3: Dome in the Forest
4: Fall of the Shell
5: Ambush of Shadows
6: Song of the Axe
7: Sword of Forbearance

The World of Tiers books are:
1: The Maker of Universes
2: Gates of Creation
3: A Private Cosmos
4: Behind the Walls of Terra
5: Lavalite Wold
6: More than Fire (this book was written YEARS after the original five and I did not care for it)

[Edited by Yrth on 05-25-01 at 09:06 AM]
Old 08-25-02, 05:41 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Calling Yrth!

Originally posted by Yrth
[....] I want to talk about "action" sci-fi.

[....] Anyone else read these?
For some reason I've only read ever Farmer's Riverworld books and these, too, seemed to falter as the series progressed.

Iain M Banks became something of a new Space Opera legend with his Culture series. I've not read anywhere near all of them but the first few were an eye-opener and I am working through his non-sf writings also.

Peter Hamilton is also an "action" writer I have enjoyed. So far I have only read his Greg Mandel/Mindstar books - set in the UK just a few decades ahead - but he has published three enormous doorstoppers under the Night's Dawn series title which are on my to-read shelf.
Old 08-25-02, 11:31 AM

John Ringo's A Hymn Before Battle and the sequels, Gust Front and When the Devil Dances are good action/military Sci Fi.
Old 08-25-02, 12:37 PM

Anything in the star wars series, especially kevin anderson and timothy zahn.. they read like what a star wars movie *should* be like.
Old 08-25-02, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Just finished "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. I'd enjoyed "Lucifer's Hammer" by them back in highschool, and this one is far superior.

Highly recommended read on the possibilities and threats of first contact. Pick it up at your local OOP bookstore.

Tuan Jim
Old 08-25-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Elizabeth Moon's Once a Hero set. I think it's 4 books. Fairly action packed
Old 08-25-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Try the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, I think the first is Honor on Basilisk Station. These books are action, drama, physics, a smidgeon of comedy, just a hint of romance, etc., etc., etc.

I have read and enjoyed The Damned trilogy by Alan Dean Foster.
Old 09-22-02, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Try the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, I think the first is Honor on Basilisk Station. These books are action, drama, physics, a smidgeon of comedy, just a hint of romance, etc., etc., etc.
The latest book in the series is coming out this Sept 30 (War of Honor) and is rumoured to have a cdrom in it of the prior books in the series in "ebook" format.

ASIDE: There was additional info on the Honor Harrington books being released for television as indicated in a press release:

"""Properties In Active Production
Co-Production, Investment and Pre-Sale Opportunities are available for:

· "Honor Harrington" Live action TV series 22 episodes x 50 minutes.
· "Mutineer's Moon" High-quality animated TV series of 26 episodes x approx. 25 minutes. """

Both of the above titles were originally book series by author David Weber. If you don't mind books where the protagonist must and will succeed no matter what gigantic odds are stacked against her, then you will like the Honor Harrington series. Also, if you like where the protagonist frequently wins the admiration and support of her enemies, then you will also like Honor Harrington.