DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Book Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk-18/)
-   -   Miles Vorkosigan (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/book-talk/109999-miles-vorkosigan.html)

Seeker 05-20-01 09:35 PM

Anyone interested in discussing Bujold's book series?

Startide 05-21-01 01:17 AM

If you are, be sure to REGULARLY download the latest galleys or "ebook" versions from the Baen site as mentioned in the eBook Reader thread managed by Robin.

You can see plots or details appear and disappear in the ebook version sometimes. These items don't appear in the polished final book.

For example, there was a plot to ....ummm, it would be a spoiler to mention it here. But evidently, Ms Bujold yanked that whole plotline out of the galley of the most-recent Miles book (the one with the ice cream bugs). I assume that it would be moved to the next upcoming book. I'd sure like to see the head of the Star Creche make another appearance.

Seeker 05-21-01 09:46 PM

So, does anyone have these plotlines that have disappeared from the Baen site?

I'd love to see what "might have been"!

And, please spoil - given that it was yanked, you might be one of the few sources of the info!

Startide 05-23-01 01:29 AM

I didn't download it but read that chapter on their site. In retrospect, I wished that I had, but it wouldn't have mattered because out of courtesy, I don't use a site-grabber on Baen.

I will list some of the items below as well as I can remember from the first three galley chapters of the recently released paperback "A Civil Campaign" where Miles had his adventure with the ice cream bugs and a certain Ms. Horticulturist on Komarr. I wonder what Ms Horticulturist would have thought of the Cetagandan kittykat tree... From the way gene-engineering could have gone, those kittykats might have pooped ice cream if they had been crossed with some Jackson Hole bug technology.

Spoiler:

<font color=red><big>1. </big><font color=black> There are a lot of Cetagandan Ghem lords angry at their past defeats due to this Admiral Naismith. They want to do something about it.
<font color=red><big>2. </big><font color=black> It seems that many Cetagandans know that Admiral Naismith is also Miles.
<font color=red><big>3. </big><font color=black> Assasination is mentioned as a possible undertaking by a high Ghem military officer. I don't remember if it was an admiral or general.
<font color=red><big>4. </big><font color=black> Another person (not a Haut lady) mentioned to the Ghem officer that Miles was a holder of the Order of Merit. Part of the legacy of an Order of Merit is supposedly that you can't be assasinated unless the Emperor sanctions it. That statement I found illuminating as to the value of Cetagandan military medals. Obviously, some of the medals might confer some additional real benefits, like protection during your career advancement. Seems like mechanics from a RPG, but who am I to criticize Bujold.
<font color=red><big>5. </big><font color=black> The 3rd chapter left off at that and there was no more info as to whether or not someone talked to the Emperor to get clearance to assasinate Miles.
<font color=red><big>6. </big><font color=black> No mention of the Empress or of the Haut such as Pel or the chief mucky muck Degtier of the Star Creche.

Startide 05-23-01 01:32 AM

I know there were more essential facts from the now-deleted galley for "A Civil Campaign", but I just can't remember!!!

Oh, the galley was not written as "taut" as one of her final books was. There were a lot of extraneous details present in the galley that were no longer in the book. For example, in the book "A Civil Campaign" the skellytum description in the garden is highly abbreviated, but in the galley, it is detailed along with siting details. I can see why they were edited out in the final. The same with the tour through the house that Miles gave to Ekaterin on her first visit. There was a LOT more sensual detail in the galley than the final book. And of course, the fate of René Vorbretten was turned from drama into an ironic twist and humourous foil to distract a little bit from the main plot as well as fulfill the title "A Civil Campaign: A Comedy of Biology and Manners".

The style of galleys in the future could be changed. One never knows if in the future Baen will make future galley versions more polished before releasing putting them on the website for us to see the typos, logic errors, and extraneous plot details that might be moved to the next book instead of being left in the current one. In essence, we would lose the ability to see how some of the author's writing evolves as editors and other sounding boards give their feedback to the author.

FOLLOWUP:
You can get access to the Baen galley collection at the website mentioned in the dvdTalk thread by Robin for "Electronic Books/Readers" located HERE.<small>

[Edited by Startide on 05-23-01 at 12:15 AM]

Seeker 05-28-01 11:29 AM

Interesting inside info....

does anyone else know "stuff" about Miles/Bujold that isn't in the books (ever, or yet)?

Startide 05-29-01 12:02 AM

You can actually see the "long version" galley at the Baen website. Of course, the Cetaganda details have been expunged.

By doing so, but not also editing out the extraneous Civil Campaign details, I suspect that either the Cetaganda info will be in a future book or has been trashed.

My bets are that the Cetaganda info will be around because it would be great to have one more rousing adventure with the Dendarii Mercenaries in an intersystem romp. It would also give Miles the last closure encounter with Sgt Taura as her time is getting close. Isn't her time about one year or less now? This will also create more interesting interpersonal conflicts between Mile's new Vor lady and encounters with the new Dendarii admiral (whom he's agreed to have liasons with...). Now, the Vor lady can't possibly be agreeable to Mile's future liasons can she?

Since Bujold is waaaay better at the personal relationships than she is with space battles, technical details, politics, or space compaigns, she will probably stick to things like that.

Seeker 06-03-01 11:02 PM

One of the reasons I like this series is that Miles CHANGES as he gets older. Wow. Reality.

He starts out as a brittle midget with delusions of grandeur.

He moves on to become a megalomaniac admiral of an entire fleet with delusions of grandeur.

He gets killed rescuing his clone brother, because he has delusions of grandeur.

Once resurrected, he contemplates how misled he has been, and how he will move on, within his framework of having delusions of grandeur.

He gets appointed a "Lord Auditor", replenishing his delusions of grandeur.

See how things change?

So what, I spoiled things! Even the books do that by recapping Miles life! But the books aren't spoiled!

Startide 01-19-02 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Startide
By doing so, but not also editing out the extraneous Civil Campaign details, I suspect that either the Cetaganda info will be in a future book or has been trashed.
Well, we'll see if the details expunged from "A Civil Campaign" have been moved into Bujold's upcoming book "Diplomatic Immunity".

FOLLOWUP:
Cover art and description

There are two galley chapters from the book already posted at the Baen website. Click here to read these chapters from the book galley. The final book may be different from the galley version due to editing or changes by the author.

Seeker 01-19-02 01:28 PM

Well, we'll see if the details expunged from "A Civil Campaign" have been moved into Bujold's upcoming book "Diplomatic Immunity".
Thanks for resurrecting this post --- even if it seems only you and I participate.

When is Diplomatic Immunity coming out?

Seeker 01-19-02 01:31 PM

I got excited when I saw a new title from the series until I realized it was another reprint/compilation.... finally some news about something NEW!

Startide 01-19-02 02:27 PM

>> When is Diplomatic Immunity coming out?

Baen Books releases it starting in January 2002 for those who subscribe to their online book release service WebScription. If you buy the paper version at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, or BAMM, you will have to wait until May2002.

It does look strange that DI immediately starts out with the Miles and Kat after the wedding had taken place. I suppose Bujold had probably saved the wedding for either a flashback later on in the book.

FOLLOWUP:
The wedding will be included as Bujold's contribution to Catherine Asaro's anthology book Irresistible Forces due in 2003. That book currently has lined up Asaro, Jo Beverley, Bujold, Mary Jo Putney, Jennifer Roberson, and Deb Stover. If it is in Bujold's thematic style, it will probably be a wry exposition on all the way a wedding can go wrong but still end up with a happy ending.

So, i can imagine Miles having sent out invitations to all of his past girlfriends to attend (including those named in his girlfriend list at the of the Komarr book). All those who object, say now or forever hold your piece. Taura might growl "those human fetility patches didnt work on me" so i expect Miles to do the right thing. Haut Rian Degtiar might chirp up "remember when i told you that there'd be no chance of you forgetting me? you left some of your dna behind on your prior visit..." And so forth... Now, i wonder if Bel has anything to say???

Seeker 01-19-02 09:05 PM

Do you have to subscribe to Webscriptions?

I seem to be able to see the first two chapters.... but that's just glancing.

Startide 01-23-02 05:08 PM

For Webscriptions info, go to Baen's homepage and they have a link for it there.

Webscriptions is Baen's experiment in selling eBook versions of their publications for a price that is much less than the paper version (plus tax) at the local bookstore. Also, you get to see the book well ahead (up to three months) of the official release date for the deadtree version.

Seeker 01-23-02 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info..

I'm just disappointed that it seems like you and I are the only folks interested in Miles Vorkosigan here...

littlefuzzy 01-23-02 11:35 PM

I've read some of them, and enjoyed them. I don't own any of the books (or do I? hmm, have to check :D) so I usually just get which ever paperback the local library has on the rack. Because of this, I have only read random books in the series, instead of reading the whole series in chronological order.

Seeker 01-23-02 11:41 PM

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
I've read some of them, and enjoyed them. I don't own any of the books (or do I? hmm, have to check :D) so I usually just get which ever paperback the local library has on the rack. Because of this, I have only read random books in the series, instead of reading the whole series in chronological order.
which ones have you liked the best, and why?

I'm curious!

littlefuzzy 01-24-02 12:14 AM

Hmm, its really been too long, and I have read too many other books since then, so I can't really recall more than some broad details about the series... I think I need to read 'em again. :D The local library's (HUGE) annual booksale is coming up, I will keep an eye out for these books.

Seeker 01-24-02 01:13 AM

Do so, and they are fun to read in order, because you see how Miles develops and changes over the years.... although he ALWAYS stays a loveable megalomaniac...

littlefuzzy 01-24-02 03:30 PM

Ahh, I have at least three (not sure about any hardbacks.)

Borders of Infinity (Paperback)
Barrayar (Paperback)
and Cordelia's Honor (Trade, omnibus)

I always like to read books in chronological order, and if the authors would prefer that they are read in published order (like Anne McCaffrey's Pern,) well... screw 'em. ;)

Does Ms. Bujold write them in chronological order, or does she go back and explore past events in new books? If she does go back and forth, what would be the chronological reading order?

Seeker 01-24-02 07:33 PM

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
Ahh, I have at least three (not sure about any hardbacks.)

Borders of Infinity (Paperback)
Barrayar (Paperback)
and Cordelia's Honor (Trade, omnibus)

I always like to read books in chronological order, and if the authors would prefer that they are read in published order (like Anne McCaffrey's Pern,) well... screw 'em. ;)

Does Ms. Bujold write them in chronological order, or does she go back and explore past events in new books? If she does go back and forth, what would be the chronological reading order?

She has tended to write chronologically, but she HAS gone back and revisited earlier periods (like Ceteganda)

Hmm... chronological order:

Shards of Honor
Barrayar
Warriors Apprentice
Vor Game
Borders of Infinity
Ceteganda

I'll get the rest later...

littlefuzzy 01-24-02 10:12 PM

Well, a local library had a small book sale tonight, I didn't manage to find any Vorkosigan. :( I spent about 50$, which is just a practice run for the big book sale. :D

We have a multi-library system spread across the city, with probably about 15-20 branches. They have an annual book sale that has thousands of people in attendance over 3 days, so hopefully I will be able to find some Vorkosigan.

Startide 01-27-02 02:47 PM

Hooray, the third galley chapter of "Diplomatic Immunity" has been posted for free public viewing at the Baen website. Ahh, if only Glen Cook would sign up with Baen books...

Seeker 01-28-02 02:39 PM

Hooray, the third galley chapter of "Diplomatic Immunity" has been posted for free public viewing at the Baen website. Ahh, if only Glen Cook would sign up with Baen books...
Thanks for the heads up - the first two chapters were cool.

Seeker 02-01-02 08:42 PM

Ok, here's the "Vorkosigan Universe" in chronological order, NOT publication order:

Falling Free (in the universe, not about Miles)
Shards of Honor (about Miles parents)
Barrayar (Miles is born)
The Warrior's Apprentice (first real Miles book - he's 17)
Borders of Infinity (specifically the story "Mountains of Mourning")
The Vor Game
Ceteganda
Ethan of Athos (not really about Miles)
Borders of Infinity (specifically the stories "Labyrinth", and title story)
Mirror Dance
Memory
Komarr
A Civil Campaign
Diplomatic Immunity (May 2002)

other titles are compilations of these books.