Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Books VRS Movies

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you ever seen a movie that Closely Resembeled the book?

Old 04-25-01, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure there are lots of other examples, but one movie that I thought was faithful to the source material in an interesting way was Conan the Barbarian. It doesn't actually follow any particular short story or the one Conan novel, but it manages in my opinion to capture the "feel" of Conan's world as Robert Howard showed it in the stories. That's harder than just following the plot exactly.

In fact, I'd say that in order to be a good movie, a movie almost has to be unfaithful to the book in *some* way -- usually by cutting material. Unless it's a very short or very simple book, there is almost always much more that can fit in a book than can fit in a movie, and if they try to fit everything in, it can end up feeling rushed and confusing.
Old 04-25-01, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really do thing that The Green Mile did a really good job. I was pretty shocked at how close they were. There were a few things left out(probably because of time), but was generally not disappointed.

robyn
Old 04-25-01, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fight Club did for the most part. Dang, the dialog was almost word for word in some parts.
Old 04-25-01, 03:50 PM

The Death of a Salesman
Old 04-25-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by RDYoung
I really do thing that The Green Mile did a really good job. I was pretty shocked at how close they were. There were a few things left out(probably because of time), but was generally not disappointed.

robyn
A couple other King novels that were done as well as possible were Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, and Misery.

As far as TV, The Stand, It, and The Shining weren't that bad with all things considered.

-Steve