Vinegar Syndrome - Subscriber Week Sale

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Vinegar Syndrome - Subscriber Week Sale

Old 01-04-24, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts
Re: Vinegar Syndrome - Subscriber Week Sale

Originally Posted by Paff
Yeah, we've talked Taiwanese cinema before, and the other issue for me is that the Taiwanese films I've seen have all been "festival" films, which usually means "arty", or for a more direct term, "slower than molasses going uphill in January"
LOL that is the perfect definition of arty.

If one were to buy only ONE of the Taiwanese films on sale today which one would you pick? I really dig neo-noir, 70s-90s film, like learning about history, and don't mind J Horror for a reference point. At first I thought Neon god would be the choice. Reading up on Detention a bit might make me pick that one. Oh also, I love films that have "the city" as a main character, so that would seem to be a point in Rebels favor.
Old 01-04-24, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Let Brian make the suggestion on Detention or Neon God; I've seen neither.

Last edited by Paff; 01-04-24 at 04:34 PM. Reason: cited a boring HK film, not a Taiwanese
Old 01-04-24, 04:31 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

This music lives rent free in my mind.

The following users liked this post:
Brian T (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Yeah, we've talked Taiwanese cinema before, and the other issue for me is that the Taiwanese films I've seen have all been "festival" films, which usually means "arty", or for a more direct term, "slower than molasses going uphill in January"
Totally hear you on this. This aspect is, unfortunately, what sets a certain segment of Taiwanese cinema apart from the other ĎChineseí cinemas in the perception of a lot of people in the west, and itís also come to define Taiwanese cinema to westerners. And itís such bullshit, frankly. I probably shouldnít say this after you placed an order, but Tsai Ming-liang is a poster boy for it. I still love his films, but theyíre best watched in a certain frame of mind. And thatís the one big issue I have with Taiwanese cinema: their most famous exports ó Tsai, Edward Yang, Hou Hsiao-hsien, and Ang Lee (pre-Hollywood) ó along with the festival programmers and boutique Blu-ray companies who keep jizzing their pants over them, have created this entirely skewed impression of the islandís cinema as arthouse and ponderous.

Doesn't mean I won't give Detention a spin one of these days though. And my best friend is Taiwanese, so I shouldn't be so ignorant of their history.
Maybe you can loan it to them, see what they think.Personally I think it leans more commercial like most modern Taiwanese cinema. And if neither of you like it, try some like these to see what people in Taiwan actually watch while theyíre sending all their navel gazers over to us. (the first one says ďMalaysia officialĒ in the title, but itís definitely a TW film)

That last one, incidentally, was one of the highest grossing films in Taiwanese history. Itís an LGBTQ-friendly film, too, which is something youíll never see in China (or Hong Kong now, probably), and something youíd never see from Taiwan if China forcibly takes over the place. In fact, the Taiwanese make more successful (and accessible to straight people) LGBTQ comedies and dramas than any other Asian country right now, and with a fraction of the ďsex angleĒ that seems to hang over a lot of this cinema in the west (I say that as a straight person, so my perception may be a little off, donít know).

Last edited by Brian T; 01-04-24 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-04-24, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
LOL that is the perfect definition of arty.

If one were to buy only ONE of the Taiwanese films on sale today which one would you pick? I really dig neo-noir, 70s-90s film, like learning about history, and don't mind J Horror for a reference point. At first I thought Neon god would be the choice. Reading up on Detention a bit might make me pick that one. Oh also, I love films that have "the city" as a main character, so that would seem to be a point in Rebels favor.
Only ten bucks each.
Old 01-04-24, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh wow, I see from Dex's video that it's the same director as What Time is it There, a movie I actually own but haven't gotten around to watching yet. I think I found it at a super cheap DVD sale (DVD, not Blu, by the way) for like a buck or two and thought it would be interesting.
Old 01-05-24, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Similarly enough, my first run-in with one of his films was with a bargain store DVD of his 1997 move THE RIVER, which I found for $3 over 15 years ago. Iíd heard about his movies for ages, though mostly through film fest reviews that made them sound artsy and slow (to me, anyway). Finally got around to watching it a few years after that and really enjoyed it. Iíd seen a few other, more mainstream Taiwanese movies by then, so I could see how his comparative uniqueness would mark him as a film fest / arthouse darling. I think I found REBELS, his first feature, shortly after that, which really drove home the point.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-05-24 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-05-24, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A few on todays list that I donít think were in the last versions of this sale (Iím in for eight). Digging through my orders, though, I see the slip version STEEL AND LACE and the slipcase + slipcover SCARY OF SIXTY FIRST (ugh) were both only $10 in last Januaryís sale.

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collecti...week-2024-sale

Has anyone actually bothered with those FUCK THE DEVIL movies? I generally donít trust Bleeding Skullís releases, as I think they scrape pretty close to barely-released (or not even released?) home movies made by people who never did anything else, and these seem to exemplify that to the extreme.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-05-24 at 11:43 AM.
sleepyhead55 (01-05-24)
Old 01-05-24, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
A few on todays list that I donít think were in the last versions of this sale (Iím in for eight). Digging through my orders, though, I see the slip version STEEL AND LACE and the slipcase + slipcover SCARY OF SIXTY FIRST (ugh) were both only $10 in last Januaryís sale.

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collecti...week-2024-sale

Has anyone actually bothered with those FUCK THE DEVIL movies? I generally donít trust Bleeding Skullís releases, as I think they scrape pretty close to barely-released (or not even released?) home movies made by people who never did anything else, and these seem to exemplify that to the extreme.
The best film (imo) today already sold out in Knife+ Heart. I already picked that up via Hamilton books. I usual avoid those SOV/Home Video types that Vineagar likes to put out. It's just not my thing.
Old 01-05-24, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm considering Scared to Death. Psychotronic Encyclopedia refers to it as "lots of low budget fun"
Old 01-05-24, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Didn't get anything today.
Old 01-06-24, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got four in todayís new batch.

They repeated a few from earlier days this week: BOGGY CREEK 2, which Iím pretty sure was sold out yesterday just as it is today, plus EXPECT NO MERCY and SCARY OF SIXTY-FIRST, which was half the price in last yearís $10 sale. They also put a limit of 1 on TALONS OF THE EAGLE, which, fair enough, is nearly one-third the SRP.

Slip version of KANEHSATAKE is sold out, but standard still available (although for Canadian and possibly American buyers, all of Onomsawinís films are free on the NFB site, and well worth seeing either way). Looks like the slip version of the Filipino movie DEATH OF NINTENDO will sell out momentarily.
Old 01-06-24, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Nothing for me today. I already got Trauma at last year's sale for $10.
Old 01-06-24, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. Missed out on the slip for Nintendo, looks like an interesting movie. Might pick it up anyway. And I thought Scary of Sixty-First merited an "ugh" from you Brian
Old 01-06-24, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just looking at stock levels, I'm betting there's a lot of repeaters for the UHD daily deals tomorrow. Both the Beastmaster, Ebola Syndrome have 1000 in stock. Out of Order has close to 700. I'd buy Freeway if it were at the $20 price point though.
Old 01-06-24, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And I thought Scary of Sixty-First merited an "ugh" from you Brian
Oh it still merits an ugh. I was mainly pointing out its repeat appearance, because I suspect itís not a big seller and its elaborate packaging is just pretty camouflage. Iím pretty liberal, but thatís a movie made by your 20-year-old kid who thinks theyíve just discovered how the world works and no one else has. Ten dollars last year was somewhat justifiable.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-06-24 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-06-24, 03:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Nothing for me today. I already got Trauma at last year's sale for $10.
I added it to my pre-existing order, but was kinda bummed because I thought it was 10 bucks last year. Then when I went to check out, my Honey app found some promo code & it ended up being just $9 and change. ( shrugs ) Go figure.
Old 01-06-24, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pulled the trigger on Black Cat pre-order and Death of Nintendo. Bummed I didn't get the slip for Nintendo, it looks nice. It turns out we showed that at my film festival in 2020. I wasn't aware of the 2020 lineup because I do projection, and that was the year we were "virtual", aka they didn't need me. But it means people I know personally thought it was worthy of inclusion. We rarely show stinkers, and the programmer who selected the stinkers isn't with the organization anymore (she'd choose those boring ass slow films we were talking about the other day, and when the other members of the programming staff would veto the selection, she literally cried until the films were added. Like I said, not with the organization anymore)
The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
Adam Tyner (01-07-24), Brian T (01-06-24)
Old 01-06-24, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I figure Iíll cave on the BLACK CAT set tomorrow. Iíll wait and see if I can get any 4K combos to boost my points a bit higher, then use them on the set. I donít really care about 4K, but in many cases those are the only way to get the Blu-rays now. Iíve only got a few VS 3K sets now for that very reason ó MELTING MAN, EBOLA, GORGO, UNDEFEATABLE, INVISIBLE MANIAC ó and there are a couple of others Iíd blow $20 on.
Old 01-07-24, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Some good UHD deals today, including a few partner label titles. At least some ó like Madman and The Werewolf vs. Vampire Woman ó still come with slips. (I already have everything thatís really speaking to me, alas.)
Old 01-07-24, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'm gonna pass on getting anything today, since I spent more than I wanted to with that Black Cat box.
Old 01-07-24, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ended up purchasing five 4Ks, only one of which I really wanted ó TERMINAL ISLAND because the extras are more plentiful than my old Code Red Blu-ray ó and the others will most likely be flipped after watching them because they sell for two to three times what I paid on Amazon marketplace up here. These more than doubled my remaining points so I was able to do apply $20 to the BLACK CAT set (which, of course, will be available for that price in a future sale ó damned impatience . . . and Paff! ).

Iíd post a list of everything, but since I went overboard even more than I did in the BF sale, Iím not sure I want to see it all together like that!

Last edited by Brian T; 01-07-24 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-07-24, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T
... I was able to do apply $20 to the BLACK CAT set (which, of course, will be available for that price in a future sale ó damned impatience . . . and Paff! )....
Sure....in November. That's an awfully long time to wait for a movie that you already know is a must-have.
Brian T (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh, I know Iíll be happy when it gets here. And according to the schedule VS released, thereís more HK stuff coming before then too.

The only hard part about these new HK editions ó from all of the boutique labels ó is digging through my storage totes full of old Hong Kong editions to pull the ones I donít need anymore, and wistfully remembering the thrill of the hunt in finding them back in those days. That was half the fun. Now, I just click Ďbuyí every time something comes out.
Old 02-07-24, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since we don't have a general VS sale thread, I just bumped the most recent one. But several of the titles in the "going out of print" section are down to $10, including the pair of Norman Warren films Prey and Terror. Both get a big thumbs up from me. Prey is rather odd (to say the least), but also a great combination of smut and horror, featuring the lovely Glory Annen (I've probably mentioned in TMI detail about how much I......appreciated....Showtime's frequent late night airings of her Aussie sex romp Felicity when I was in high school). And Terror might be the only non-Chewbacca appearance I know of Peter Mayhew. Both belong in any horror collection.
Spiderbite (02-07-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.