Vinegar Syndrome - Subscriber Week Sale

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Vinegar Syndrome - Subscriber Week Sale

Old 01-02-24, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: Vinegar Syndrome - Subscriber Week Sale

Originally Posted by Paff
I wanna give Six String Samurai a try one of these days, just don't know if I wanna pull the trigger today when there are still gonna be at least two more days of "BD Slip" sales, my preferred buys from VS.

Man, they can't give away that Televised Terror set, can they?
I think it's a fun movie.
Old 01-02-24, 05:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I came to Six String Samurai knowing nothing about it. It's definitely an odd-ball film, but I enjoyed it. I would liken it to Last Year at Marienbad - I read tons of reviews that made that film sound like paint drying. I put off getting it for ages....and when I finally watched it - sure, there's no linear storyline - I wound up really loving it; brilliant cinematography and such an oddness that to me felt like a Twilight Zone episode. Or Ozu films - again, reviews I read made him sound like a boring director with family-based dramas; a far cry from Kurosawa and Zatoichi. But I eventually broke down and tried one....then another...and before long Ozu became my favorite Japanese director. The point I'm making is that sometimes a movie (or director) will click with you despite everything you read about it. Six-String Samurai is one of those films. It's highly polarizing which means you basically can't trust anyone's opinion on it but your own! --Peter
Old 01-02-24, 06:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Box sets are on sale tomorrow. Hope you didn't overspend on the HK set if they mark it down tomorrow.
It was on sale for just under 30 bucks, & it wasn't in today's sale. Looks like I'm in good shape.
Old 01-02-24, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by DiggityDawg
It was on sale for just under 30 bucks, & it wasn't in today's sale. Looks like I'm in good shape.
Yep. You rolled the dice, came up sevens.
Old 01-03-24, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

They sure are determined to move copies of LAST GASP. It's back in today's slip sale.
https://vinegarsyndrome.com/collecti...week-2024-sale
Old 01-03-24, 01:13 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Mostly weak offerings so far in comparison to last year. Though, I'm not a huge VS person to begin with.

I did pick up Sybil and Air Doll on the first day.
Old 01-03-24, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't disagree. In fact, I got many of today's offerings in one of these sales last year, so I suspect we might see more low-sellers for the remainder.
The following users liked this post:
sleepyhead55 (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Can't disagree. In fact, I got many of today's offerings in one of these sales last year, so I suspect we might see more low-sellers for the remainder.

And some of these same offerings from last year at $10 are now $14 and $15, so folks gotta pay up if they want them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
Brian T (01-03-24), sleepyhead55 (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Yeah, there were definitely some repeaters in there today. Still I picked up Buried Alive, Red Surf and Mindfield. I'm on the fence about Zerograd and...ahem The Hole in the Fence. Any opinions on those two films from those who have seen it?

I also believe the "daily deals" tomorrow will be $10 so even if there are repeaters you won't be paying more than last year.
Old 01-03-24, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely. I have to keep checking my order history to see which versions I got in the previous sales. In some cases, it was the slip version for the same price as here, other times it was the non-slip versions for $10, which are now $14. Definitely have to be diligent.

I'll also put in a cautious semi-recommendation of TOUGH GUYS DON'T DANCE. I picked this up in one of these previous sales, with the slip, but only got around to watching it two nights ago, and that was via a cheapo 4-film set from Shout/Timeless I'd purchased even earlier that included it with some other 'noir-ish' thrillers. Figured I'd blow through them to list it on Amazon, but TOUGH GUYS really stood out. It's not good at all, but it definitely lives up to its so-bad-it's-good cult reputation — every performance is a thing of arch weirdness ("Oh god, oh man, oh god, oh man!" ) — so now I need to dig out the VS version to see the extras. Still not sure I'll keep it, but it does exert a certain pull . . .

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Yeah, there were definitely some repeaters in there today. Still I picked up Buried Alive, Red Surf and Mindfield. I'm on the fence about Zerograd and...ahem The Hole in the Fence. Any opinions on those two films from those who have seen it?
I've got three of those in my cart at the moment: RED SURF, MINDFIELD and ZEROGRAD. I've found myself revisiting the latter's VS page from time to time, especially as I've gotten more 'eastern bloc' stuff from Deaf Crocodile in various sales. Several of their choices have agreed with me so far, although as with everything else they might get sold off down the road.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-03-24 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-03-24, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Remember last year when this sale was a one time thing that they were never going to repeat? Glad I tooled my BF purchases from them way down this year.
Brian T (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 07:39 PM

That was in reference to the $10 price point.
Old 01-03-24, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shriek of the Mutilated (on sale today) was better than I expected it to be.
Old 01-04-24, 06:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As I recall, VS said they were not going to do $10 Daily Deals in the future - that was only for last year for their 10th Anniversary.
The only nit-pick I have is calling it Subscriber Week, but letting non-subscribers in on these deals
--Peter
Old 01-04-24, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How couldnít they let us in? I thought subscribers already received all the VS and VS-adjacent titles automatically, plus 50% (?) deals on the partner stuff? Therefore wouldnít subscribers already have all of the VS titles in these $10-15 sales, at the least? If VS wants to move stuff that, in some cases, doesnít move very much, I suspect the non-subscribers come in handy, and if they sell a few subscriptions then itís a win-win. Iíve often wondered if the titles in these specific sales are better value than they are as part of the subscription package, even if the package is better value overall. Anyone know?
Old 01-04-24, 11:03 AM

Highly recommend Rebels of the Neon God for $10.
Old 01-04-24, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Wasnít going to get anything today but as a highly recommended I went with this one item
Old 01-04-24, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14

Yeah, went with that one. Had a Better Luck Tomorrow vibe.
Old 01-04-24, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I second the recommendation on REBELS, big time, and also highly recommend DETENTION at that price. Both are excellent introductions to Taiwanese cinema for the uninitiated or for those who might think all ĎChineseí cinema is alike. Also spotted a few repeats from previous sales (including DETENTION), and mostly stuff I canít even justify at ten bucks, like those endless AMITYVILLE spinoffs.
Old 01-04-24, 11:46 AM

I've been eyeing Cain and Abel for a while. Picked that up for $10.

So far... only Partner releases for me.

I'm hoping Vortex or In The Soup make it in to the sale.
Old 01-04-24, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was about to edit my post to recommend CAIN AND ABEL as well. Lino Brocka has a couple of films in the Criterion Collection as well, and I think this is nearly as good as those two. Pretty sure it was in the last $10 sale when I got it. Tempted to get an extra for resale at that price (which Iím doing on the two Taiwan pictures). Iím in for HYPNOSIS as well, for the price. Havenít seen that.
Old 01-04-24, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Went back for Detention and the Freeway slip box.
Brian T (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Taking the advice and pulled the trigger on Neon God. Already had Detention and Cain and Abel, but both are still in my massive VS unwatched pile. Brian here actually turned me off of Detention with his glowing review, since he mentions it ties into Taiwanese history quite a bit, and that's a subject I'm sadly unfamiliar with. Don't get me wrong, I love movies that have historical relevance, but you kinda have to be up on the history to see it. Or sometimes I just miss it completely (example, it never dawned on me while watching Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon that the kids in that movie would be the adults right around the time Nazism came into power in Germany, and the movie strongly correlates the two things).

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, went with that one. Had a Better Luck Tomorrow vibe.
Asian hottie on the back of a motorcycle?

I kid, of couse. I've met Karin Anna Cheung. Good people.

The following 2 users liked this post by Paff:
Brian T (01-05-24), Why So Blu? (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Brian here actually turned me off of Detention with his glowing review, since he mentions it ties into Taiwanese history quite a bit, and that's a subject I'm sadly unfamiliar with. Don't get me wrong, I love movies that have historical relevance, but you kinda have to be up on the history to see it.
I do go on a bit! If I recall correctly, that (semi-cautious) rave included a link to the Wikipedia article about the historical period behind the movie, and skimming that is probably enough to give you a feel for how local audience might filter it. Considering how Taiwan will likely be in the news in the years ahead thanks to Chinaís belligerent attitude toward the place (and frankly, its freedoms to make movies like DETENTION), a little history of its internal struggles wonít overwhelm, I promise! And even if you one doesnít feel like reading up, itís still a creepy, beautiful, even surreal movie just to look at. And hey, ten bucks!

NEON GOD can probably be enjoyed with or without subtext, too, I suspect.

Iíve found that the best way to approach Taiwanese cinema, at least for me, is to simply not expect anything like what comes out of China or Hong Kong, both places which have had their cinema more available internationally.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-04-24 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-04-24, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do go on a bit! If I recall correctly, that (semi-cautious) rave included a link to the Wikipedia article about the historical period behind the movie, and skimming that is probably enough to give you a feel for how local audience might filter it. Considering how Taiwan will likely be in the news in the years ahead thanks to Chinaís belligerent attitude toward the place (and frankly, its freedoms to make movies like DETENTION), a little history of its internal struggles wonít overwhelm, I promise! And even if you one doesnít feel like reading up, itís still a creepy, beautiful, even surreal movie just to look at. And hey, ten bucks!

NEON GOD can probably be enjoyed with or without subtext, too, I suspect.

Iíve found that the best way to approach Taiwanese cinema, at least for me, is to simply not expect anything like what comes out of China or Hong Kong, both places which have had their cinema more available internationally.
Yeah, we've talked Taiwanese cinema before, and the other issue for me is that the Taiwanese films I've seen have all been "festival" films, which usually means "arty", or for a more direct term, "slower than molasses going uphill in January"

Doesn't mean I won't give Detention a spin one of these days though. And my best friend is Taiwanese, so I shouldn't be so ignorant of their history.
sleepyhead55 (01-04-24)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.