Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Monkees Limited Blu ray set back in stock

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 01:47 PM
Cool New Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Monkees Limited Blu ray set back in stock

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Most Rhino stuff stays limited, unfortunately. I believe it's tied to clearances and licensing rights, which aren't cheap. Knowing the market, I don't think we'll get a general release of this set.
Yes, I think you are right. Rights and clearance issues etc would pretty much nix a new set. I guess I can't have everything I want. I can't see paying $500.00 or close to that for a set off of e-bay. Amazon was going to get a few sets in for around $200.00 but then they went out of stock and they have one seller now selling one for around $500.00.

Last edited by Tom Pennock; 04-24-22 at 01:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-24-22, 04:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Pennock
I think you are right. Rights and clearance issues etc would pretty much nix a new set.
I don't know... it seems to me that this TV series in particular should have FEWER problems with clearance & rights issues.

Especially since the producers of the show didn't buy rights to existing songs; they instead paid writers, producers and actors outright to record music the company would own and profit from.

Since they Monkees have been envisioned as a way to make money since Day 1, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Monkees series released at a cheaper price in the near future (or head straight to some streaming service).
The following users liked this post:
Tom Pennock (04-25-22)
Old 04-25-22, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I almost bought this when it was recently available. Yet we have such a backlog of discs and streaming choices, I couldn't justify the cost for something that would likely sit for a long time or possibly never be watched by us.
The following 3 users liked this post by b2net:
laidbacklarkin (04-25-22), Tom Pennock (04-25-22), Trevor (04-25-22)
Old 04-25-22, 09:49 AM
Cool New Member

Rich-y: I appreciate your positive thoughts about this set. You could very well be right on target.

All Best,

Tom

Last edited by Tom Pennock; 04-25-22 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Added More Text
Old 12-06-22, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

Back available for the moment:

The Monkees - Complete TV Series Blu-ray | Warner Music Official Store
Old 12-06-22, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Thank you! I think... ordered a copy and it's really more than I'd like to spend but... Guess now I've opened the door for a normal release, eh? At least that's what usually happens when I cave on these special edition things...
Old 12-11-22, 10:26 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Still thinking about this, as my wife is a big fan of the show. She probably wouldn’t want it as a gift, but I can’t think of anything else this year so far. Tried a bunch of coupon codes, no luck.
Old 12-11-22, 11:25 AM
Cool New Member

I ordered a box set as well. It's limited to 10 thousand units. Anyone know when we will get these set's? Thank's!!!
Old 12-11-22, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Still thinking about this, as my wife is a big fan of the show. She probably wouldn’t want it as a gift, but I can’t think of anything else this year so far. Tried a bunch of coupon codes, no luck.
I, too, tried a bunch of coupon codes - none worked. Ordered anyway...

I ordered a box set as well. It's limited to 10 thousand units. Anyone know when we will get these set's? Thank's!!!
I got a shipping notice yesterday (still in the label created phase though) - ordered on the 6th. Is being shipped via UPS.

I'm just a bit surprised that it's still in stock.
Tom Pennock (12-23-22)
Old 12-11-22, 09:07 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Without a coupon, this was just too expensive and I decided to pass.
Old 12-11-22, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

I got an email from The Monkees website that said they are on their last 250 copies so if it is not sold out and you want it, better pick it up.
Old 12-13-22, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I got the DVD sets back in the day. I never really felt the need to watch all the episodes, so it's an easy pass at that price point.
Old 12-18-22, 02:42 PM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I grew up with The Monkee’s and thought about getting one But I’d rather spend a few more $ and get the awesome Region 2 Wim Wenders Box Set!
Old 12-20-22, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My order arrived today. For $14 shipping I expected (much) better packing. It was in a largish, somewhat flimsy, cardboard box with less than 50% of the paper packing it needed to prevent damage/shifting in the box. Fortunately there was no damage to the set in spite of a partially crushed box. Now to open the set and check it out - it's much larger than I expected (and won't fit "standard" media shelves at all).
Old 12-23-22, 09:30 AM
Cool New Member

I received mine and the box is damaged. The outer box was not sturdy enough to go through the mail. I was told that you can only get your money back which would be $227.00. They do not do exchanges. So if I get my money back they can't guarantee that I will get a replacement box set. So I have decided to live with the damaged box set. It's better than nothing at all and I want the show instead of the $227,00 refund. It's sort of like people don't care any more.
Old 12-23-22, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I received mine and the box is damaged. The outer box was not sturdy enough to go through the mail. I was told that you can only get your money back which would be $227.00. They do not do exchanges. So if I get my money back they can't guarantee that I will get a replacement box set. So I have decided to live with the damaged box set. It's better than nothing at all and I want the show instead of the $227,00 refund. It's sort of like people don't care any more.
It still shows to be in stock. You could always return the damaged one and reorder. BUT - if your shipping box was as flimsy as mine it's a crap shoot... I got lucky.
Tom Pennock (12-23-22)
Old 12-23-22, 03:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
It still shows to be in stock. You could always return the damaged one and reorder. BUT - if your shipping box was as flimsy as mine it's a crap shoot... I got lucky.

Yes, I think you did indeed get lucky. I expected regular UPS delivery but it was in my mail box and sent out by SMART POST. The Post Office must be working with UPS to get packages out combining delivery. I think I will just try to learn to live with it. The damage is not really that bad. I was very surprised that my box had no receipt inside. Well, at the very least I did not have to pay around $300.00 for it. Yes, it came in the very thin flimsy outer box. With my luck if I returned it and re-ordered this the second set would probably be worse than the first set condition wise.

All Best,

--Tom

Last edited by Tom Pennock; 12-23-22 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-27-22, 07:01 PM

Yes, I think you did indeed get lucky. I expected regular UPS delivery but it was in my mail box and sent out by SMART POST. The Post Office must be working with UPS to get packages out combining delivery. I think I will just try to learn to live with it. The damage is not really that bad. I was very surprised that my box had no receipt inside. Well, at the very least I did not have to pay around $300.00 for it. Yes, it came in the very thin flimsy outer box. With my luck if I returned it and re-ordered this the second set would probably be worse than the first set condition wise.

All Best,

--Tom
Thanks…Gosh… hopin I am lucky since Christmas GC were welcomed this year So went ahead and took the plunge and ordered one. $230.00 +/- total. Lets see how well it arrives-
Tom Pennock (01-01-23)
Old 12-28-22, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I ordered mine when they originally came out and my box arrived damaged as well. I think it was a fairly common problem. The lithograph in the middle separated from the box if I can remember correctly. I never did anything about it.
Tom Pennock (01-01-23)
Old 12-30-22, 11:49 PM

Well, got a notice RE: my order,
”due to unexpected delays the processing and shipping of our orders is taking much longer than usual”!… ok not printing more are ya? lol
Old 12-31-22, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably means they've run out of the "paper thin" cardboard shipping boxes or the paper sheets to "protect" the product inside those thin boxes (they're large enough to allow for the smaller pillow packs on all 4 sides *or* several sheets of wadded paper for some protection).

My shipping box had 2 sheets of roughly 11"x8" brown paper as "padding" - one was partially wadded and the other was just in the box. Considering the cost of the set and that they're also charging for shipping you'd think there'd be much better packaging. Amazon's plastic bubble shippers provide better protection.
Tom Pennock (01-01-23)
Old 12-31-22, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

I don't know... I ordered the Christmas ornament from their website in early/mid November and it just arrived yesterday. It was packaged well, though.
Old 01-10-23, 03:41 PM

Received my set today. No padding but a thick shipping box about the same as the set so no damage as set could not move around in the box.
#08595-kool set-
Old 01-10-23, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine is #08086 so if they're actually sending them out in numerical order there should be around 1300 or so left at this point, though if the email information Spiderbite posted is any indication it's likely just about sold out (still shows in stock on the site). I was surprised that unit number is on the booklet and not the actual box.
chuvash (02-28-23)
Old 01-14-23, 03:43 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I think that “24 left” in the email was referring to a different product. Or maybe I got a different email.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.