Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Vinegar Syndrome -- Black Friday Sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-22, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Vinegar Syndrome -- Black Friday Sale

Originally Posted by dex14
That's exactly what is happening. I can't tell you how many people I've seen asking about Burning Paradise and end up resorting to eBay.
Crazy. I mean, I get that it's the lenticular slip making all of the difference on those higher prices, and I can't say that I blame the sellers if there are fools out there literally willing to pay over one hundred dollars for a piece of cardboard with plastic glued on it so you can see a nude cartoon lady (in comparison with the 'regular' slipcover editions, which seem to be fetching more reasonable prices on ebay). Getting $160+ for one title would certainly buy a whole bunch of VS titles when they go back online, including INVISIBLE MANIAC with a regular slip. The auction prices for that and BURNING PARADISE don't seem too bad.

Last edited by Brian T; 12-12-22 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-12-22, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Got this last week (nice to finally forget the old DVD-R ripped from VHS that I made), but I don't recall it selling out. Did it, or are these sellers just milking the fact that VS titles are offline for the month?
I was just referring to the slipcover. Earlier this year they offered a translucent slipcover for something like $5. I bought one because what the hell. They sent out an email explaining how things didn’t go as planned and it became a lenticular slipcover for the Invisible Maniac. I don’t even own the movie. Maybe I’ll grab it if I decide to keep the slipcover.
Old 12-12-22, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Toddarino
I was just referring to the slipcover. Earlier this year they offered a translucent slipcover for something like $5. I bought one because what the hell. They sent out an email explaining how things didn’t go as planned and it became a lenticular slipcover for the Invisible Maniac. I don’t even own the movie. Maybe I’ll grab it if I decide to keep the slipcover.
Understood (and mentioned in my previous post). I do recall that email about the change as well. Just amazed at what people are essentially paying just to have the lenticular slipcover. The 'regular slip' edition on eBay fetches in the ballpark of what it would sell for if it were available on VS right now, so folks are literally paying $100 or more to get the special slip. Hell, if I'd bought that one, I'd absolutely sell it along with my regular-slip edition, then re-buy the latter when the site goes live. Or wait for the next sale, if possible, and get it without the slip as they don't make a difference to me either way. VS certainly knows what they're doing with this add-on stuff.
Old 12-21-22, 09:52 AM

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That's exactly what is happening. I can't tell you how many people I've seen asking about Burning Paradise and end up resorting to eBay.
whats the deal with Burning Paradise? That slip will be around awhile
Old 12-21-22, 10:17 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Captsmee.00
whats the deal with Burning Paradise? That slip will be around awhile
People don't understand why the site doesn't have the titles because they aren't reading the banner up top about Partners Only Month, so they think it is no longer available at all.
Old 12-31-22, 09:04 PM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

RE: recent release of “ Amityville Horror”… one with a slip and one without so do they have different upc codes as some sights don’t even mention which version they are selling and prices vary from site to site! Any info or help how to identify slip version greatly appreciated.
Old 01-01-23, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by smurrlock
RE: recent release of “ Amityville Horror”… one with a slip and one without so do they have different upc codes as some sights don’t even mention which version they are selling and prices vary from site to site! Any info or help how to identify slip version greatly appreciated.
There are some retailers that partner with Vinegar Syndrome, such as Orbit DVD, Grindhouse Video, and Diabolik DVD, that do offer versions with slipcovers. They'll always say if it comes with a slipcover since that's such a selling point. Some of them also sell the standard editions without slips.

But in general, especially if you're ordering from larger retailers like Amazon or Best Buy, assume you're not getting a slipcover. Vinegar Syndrome reserves slipcovers for direct sales and for a handful of close partners. As far as I know, the wide retail releases never include slips.
Old 01-02-23, 06:06 AM

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
There are some retailers that partner with Vinegar Syndrome, such as Orbit DVD, Grindhouse Video, and Diabolik DVD, that do offer versions with slipcovers. They'll always say if it comes with a slipcover since that's such a selling point. Some of them also sell the standard editions without slips.

But in general, especially if you're ordering from larger retailers like Amazon or Best Buy, assume you're not getting a slipcover. Vinegar Syndrome reserves slipcovers for direct sales and for a handful of close partners. As far as I know, the wide retail releases never include slips.
Appreciate that info- thanks
Old 11-24-23, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I figure since the year isn't in the thread title, might as well just bump this thread for this year's sale.

I'm in a bit of a financial crunch, and I have to have some plumbing work done, so I'm going light. I just bought
Undeclared War
Death Promise

and used some built up points to knock $20 off. I think like most people who aren't renewing their subscriptions, I just get a few catalog titles from the last couple of years now that they're finally down in price a bit. Repeat in May.
Old 11-24-23, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For some reason, the discussion of the sale kinda started over in the HD Talk forum, including some lists of (first!) orders, and this sale was mentioned in the exploitation thread here, but the company and its partners are so big now it doesn’t hurt to revive it here.
Old 11-24-23, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
For some reason, the discussion of the sale kinda started over in the HD Talk forum, including some lists of (first!) orders, and this sale was mentioned in the exploitation thread here, but the company and its partners are so big now it doesn’t hurt to revive it here.
I had wondered why there was zero talk in here last night, I had to go over to the other forum.

Man I was close to pulling the trigger on the light up sign. Maybe if I could have seen it in person but $145 is too much for sight unseen on that one.

Skipped Severin this year, I am going to just do their box set sale thing (Or Grindhouse) tomorrow
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (11-24-23)
Old 11-24-23, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, nothing for me at Severin either. I literally have everything I ever wanted from them in previous sales, and couldn’t put an order together if I wanted to. The myriad bundles never do it for me either.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-24-23 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-24-23, 04:46 PM

I can’t believe I’m sitting this year out. I’ve grown more selective with my purchases and unless the numbers are getting low, I’m deciding to hold off.
I’m keeping an eye on Invisible Maniac though.
Old 11-24-23, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I had wondered why there was zero talk in here last night, I had to go over to the other forum.

Man I was close to pulling the trigger on the light up sign. Maybe if I could have seen it in person but $145 is too much for sight unseen on that one.

Skipped Severin this year, I am going to just do their box set sale thing (Or Grindhouse) tomorrow

There's plenty of talk in its own dedicated thread:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/65...thread-26.html
Old 11-28-23, 11:41 AM

I can’t believe I’m sitting this year out. I’ve grown more selective with my purchases and unless the numbers are getting low, I’m deciding to hold off.
I’m keeping an eye on Invisible Maniac though.
i believe the slip sold out with the freak out sale
Old 11-28-23, 11:43 AM

I only placed 3 single movie orders to get 3 VSMC slips, but with my sub it’ll be a big box again. And they got me for couple more things with the $10 off if you spend $50 more today
Old 11-30-23, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Captsmee.00
i believe the slip sold out with the freak out sale
I ended up buying the standard edition last minute. I have the April fools lenticular slip already.
I also picked up Malibu High since people really seem to like that one.
Old 11-30-23, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I also picked up Malibu High since people really seem to like that one.
Good call. Now, I should say I've only watched it once, and it came out of left field for me. I was tuning in for a raunchy teen comedy and instead got a sleazy back alley La Femme Nikita. I don't know how it'll hold up on repeat viewings, but I really dug it the first time.
Old 11-30-23, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I was tuning in for a raunchy teen comedy and instead got a sleazy back alley La Femme Nikita. I don't know how it'll hold up on repeat viewings, but I really dug it the first time.
Great grindhouse film. And, now we know where the underscore music for "The People's Court" came from! (Actually, it's a library music track).