DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Criterion Sale 50% off MSRP - Barnes & Noble July 10, 2020 through ??Aug 2, 2020 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/650828-criterion-sale-50%25-off-msrp-barnes-noble-july-10-2020-through-aug-2-2020-a.html)

smm1958 07-11-20 04:35 PM

Re: Criterion Sale 50% off MSRP - Barnes & Noble July 10, 2020 through ??Aug 2, 2020

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 13770878)
Nice score. Is that the B&N in the Target plaza off 41?

This past March was the first year I'd been down there and didn't even pop in there once. And that was well before everything spiraled out of control.

Absolutely correct! It was the Naples Store that had the Del Toro set -

asianxcore 07-11-20 04:57 PM

Re: Criterion Sale 50% off MSRP - Barnes & Noble July 10, 2020 through ??Aug 2, 2020

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13770977)
I don't think Zatoichi is actually oop. I think it's just between printings and is currently tough to find. The Criterion store lists it as "currently unavailable" as opposed to "out of print".

Good to know!

If it's true, I hope everyone looking for the set is able to find a copy in-store!

milo bloom 07-11-20 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13770225)
It’s live and it’s payday!

I placed my order online Friday morning at 8:21 Chicago time and I just went downstairs and Bruce Lee set was here by itself, 3 days early.
Looks like the distribution center was in Monroe Township, NJ.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ac2daa20e.jpeg

Ringmaster 07-12-20 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13771041)
I placed my order online Friday morning at 8:21 Chicago time and I just went downstairs and Bruce Lee set was here by itself, 3 days early.
Looks like the distribution center was in Monroe Township, NJ.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ac2daa20e.jpeg

Awesome! Any chance Milo you can check if Enter The Dragon's Special Edition disk is missing subtitles? A lot of reviewers said that their copies listed having them but they were actually missing from that disc.

Ish Kabbible 07-12-20 07:20 AM

My intent was to purchase 3 items on line during this sale. However, 2 of them are 'Temporarily Unavailable"-Midnight Cowboy and The Lone Wolf and Cub box set.So for now I'm just going to wait awhile. What's the odds they would get additional stock on these during the sale period?

Ringmaster 07-12-20 08:29 AM

I would call your local store and see if they have it in their warehouse. If they do, then you could purchase the title over the phone and have it shipped to your house or you can have it shipped to the store. I did that with the Bruce Lee set since the pre-orders are already sold out online. The online stock and the in-store stock is different from what was explained to me by a Barnes & Noble associate.

milo bloom 07-12-20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster (Post 13771179)
Awesome! Any chance Milo you can check if Enter The Dragon's Special Edition disk is missing subtitles? A lot of reviewers said that their copies listed having them but they were actually missing from that disc.

Yeah, took me a bit to find it because I didn’t see a listing of what’s on each disc but the SE is on disc 7 (supplements) and there are no subtitles. There’s an option in the disc menu but it doesn’t do anything.

The theatrical version has them.

Would Criterion do a replacement for this? Or will they say that since it’s on the supplements disc it’s not required?

andicus 07-12-20 08:19 PM

For my fellow Canadians, Unobstructed View is going to be having a Criterion sale starting on the 15th.

No word on what the discount will be, but it was 40% and free shipping, last time.

I may finally splurge for the Complete Jacques Tati collection, if that's the case.

It's interesting that they specifically mention the B&N sale. Fingers crossed for that to mean they'll also do 50% off, but I'm skeptical.

This is their wording:

Thankfully we at Unobstructed View are well aware of timing, and when we took over the Criterion Collection for Canada we made a pledge that no longer will North Of The Border fans look longingly to our neighbours to the south (that’s a stretch these days) when Barnes & Noble do their seasonal blowouts.

So we’re here to tell you that even though something is happening soon down there, we are planning a catalogue-wide blowout just a little less soon. We just needed time to clean up our inventory situation so we can ship a tad faster. Watch our social media accounts (links below) early next week for some good news!

It’s a matter of days difference. Details to come, but you can look forward to deals on new titles like Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Great Escape and the very cool new Bruce Lee box set, Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits.

Edit to add... Someone on their Facebook page posted this:

Hopefully it’s 50% off like the Arrow sale!

Unobstructed View liked that post, so maybe?

smm1958 07-13-20 09:34 AM

Looks like a no brainer as Bruce Lee already sold out on B&N website!
luckily called a local store who had 3 come in so they were nice enough to reserve one for me to pick up tomorrow! YES!

Toddarino 07-13-20 05:23 PM

Looks like the Bruce Lee sets were put out early at my semi-local store and are sold out. They don’t know if they’ll get more in before the end of the sale. Seems strange I guess. If amazon price matches I reckon I’ll just make all my criterion purchases there.

JoeySeven 07-13-20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster (Post 13771179)

I had no idea the new Bruce Lee set included Enter the Dragon.-confused-
I really want this set,even though I own both sets from shout and
The Cranes Are Flying,Tokyo Olympiad,Destry Rides Again,Come and See ,and few others.
But I'm going pass on this sale and the Arrow one also because I bought so much over the last few months and need too slow down on spending $.
Next CC sale for sure I'll spend some $$$.

Bought these CC from the last Target B2G1F sale that I still need to watch.
Holiday (Blu-ray)
Dance, Girl, Dance
I Wanna Hold Your Hand (Blu-ray)

Show Boat (Blu-ray)
Smithereens (Blu-ray)
24 Frames (Blu-ray)
Teorema (Blu-ray)
House Of Games (Blu-ray)
General Idi Amin Dada: A Self Portrait (Blu-ray)
Cluny Brown (Blu-ray)
My Brilliant Career (Blu-ray)
Desert Hearts (Blu-ray)

MooMooMooMoo 07-13-20 11:29 PM

I'd like to get Temple Drake (I have a TCM cap at this time). If I can find something I really want to put me over the free shipping threshold, I'll probably go for it.

The only remotely close store is NOT stocking that title, & the website states that "ship to (my) store" is also not an option for TD. Of course, I am not a member & am clueless re all the B&N tricks.

Paul_SD 07-13-20 11:47 PM

My order of the Rohmer set and Lady Snowblood shipped.

If I'd remembered I would probably have tossed Marriage Story into the order, but it's probably just as well.

hariseldon 07-14-20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 13772154)
I'd like to get Temple Drake (I have a TCM cap at this time). If I can find something I really want to put me over the free shipping threshold, I'll probably go for it.

The only remotely close store is NOT stocking that title, & the website states that "ship to (my) store" is also not an option for TD. Of course, I am not a member & am clueless re all the B&N tricks.

There's not a ship to store option online, just a pickup option out of their current stock. If you have a media store, call and see if they'll order one to the store for you to buy.

DJariya 07-14-20 01:34 PM

Bruce Lee set in my area is nowhere to be found. Completely out of stock at all stores near my area and none online at BN.com

hariseldon 07-14-20 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13772417)
Bruce Lee set in my area is nowhere to be found. Completely out of stock at all stores near my area and none online at BN.com

If you are really wanting the title, my suggestion might be to find a store is an out of the way location which lists stock, call them and see if they'll ship it to you.

I was actually going to go to one of my closer stores (45 mi) today to pick up War of the Worlds which I put on hold Sunday night and pick up Bruce Lee and Lady Eve.
Decided this morning not to mess with getting out in public and avoid the 100 mi (+ if I went to a second store) -- I called the store and the clerk was happy to ship WotW and add
Bruce Lee to the package and even got my member discount since it counts as an in-store purchase. Since is local, the package might even arrive tomorrow. It won't work
at all stores, but it's an option

EDIT
Or of course wait for more to be available for shipping. It looks like it just went live again

asianxcore 07-14-20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13772417)

Same!

Earlier this morning, there were a lot of stores that still showed them in-stock but I chalked that up to associates not getting to online requests for store pickup yet.

A few hours later all those stores that showed in-stock are now out of stock.

There's a store 50+ miles away but that's farther than I want to drive after work for the possibility of a single Blu-Ray.

If I get that set during this sale, it would be great. If not, I'll just wait for it to go on-sale another time.

PhantomStranger 07-14-20 05:18 PM

I visited a Barnes & Noble for the first time in months and walked away empty-handed. No Bruce Lee set or Eric Rohmer set. Criterion section was a little bare compared to prior sales. Far more DVDs than BDs.

MooMooMooMoo 07-14-20 10:32 PM

I know he B&N neatest me only carries about 10 music cd titles. Not sure hoe deep they've cut the movie stock.

Ish Kabbible 07-14-20 11:04 PM

There were 3 titles I wanted to purchase during the sale but 2 were temporarily out of stock. Now a week later those 2 are in stock, but the one that was available is out of stock and no store within 100 miles has it. So the wait continues, checking the site each day

MooMooMooMoo 07-15-20 12:06 AM

Thinking about Baal & Temple Drake. It's a bit tough to spend $44 with tax for 2 discs, when MOC was so much cheaper before Trump raised UK to US postage (I know MOC still does the fake free shipping, but they pretty much had to raise their prices to compensate; so they're not the bargain they used to be. I hope the next USA president rescinds the demand for all other countries to raise postage to the USA (went into effect 7/1/20). Sure didn't help us citizens.

Bill Needle 07-15-20 12:10 AM

The Bruce Lee set is available for order from the web site again. I got one for myself.

Now just need War of the Worlds to show up again.

andicus 07-15-20 12:24 AM

Crap. Unobstructed View sale is just 40% off. No free shipping, this time.

I'll still probably pick up the Jacques Tati set, as it'll be the cheapest I can find it. Do The Right Thing, as well.

DJariya 07-15-20 01:01 AM

Thanks for the heads up the Bruce Lee set is back in stock. Got one tonight. 67 and change with free shipping.

dsa_shea 07-15-20 03:12 AM

Was able to get the Bruce Lee set. I will say that I am quite disappointed with the packaging. I sure wish they would have went with individual slim cases like they have done with other box sets like the Before Trilogy and America Lost and Found, to name a few.