Reload this Page >

SAE Twilight Time Sale - every Blu-ray 4.95-14.95

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

SAE Twilight Time Sale - every Blu-ray 4.95-14.95

Old 05-01-20, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts
Re: SAE Twilight Time Sale - every Blu-ray 4.95-14.95

They should just have a sale with 5.95/9.95/15.95 items with a $5 flat rate shipping fee like Diabolik and Hamilton Books do

It would probably be the exact same cost overall, but I swear everybody would be 10x happier because the S/H would be hidden in the item like every other store does.

As far as I know TT charges Tax possible TX and WA, SAE to VA residents only
Old 05-02-20, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
The sale extension almost seems to confirm TT might be shutting down. Does anyone have any info on that ? Might start planning to get some discs if that's the case
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I do agree that they may be wrapping it up as a business entity.

I got an email from Twilight Time yesterday (Friday) that the sale is extended through May. Presumably that's at SAE as well.

There are a LOT of $14.95 titles that I want, and none seem in any danger of selling out yet, so that's the big question: are they really closing up shop, or will the shop be around long enough for another sale where these $14.95 titles will be down to $10 or less? In the latter case, I'd make a massive haul, even some doubles, since many of these titles will probably never be on disc again (mainly the Fox stuff). I know they're probably taking a hit when prices get that low, but it seems pretty likely that the label is being shuttered.
Old 05-02-20, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

I think it's a pretty fair bet they're liquidating at this point. With Nick Redman's passing and no more Fox titles to license, I can't see them staying in business.
Old 05-03-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting new wrinkle today . . .

From a TT email moments ago:

May Special: Ten for $115

Brian, thank you once again for choosing to order your films direct from Twilight Time Movies. Throughout the month of May, Twilight Time titles are on sale for $4.95, $8.95 or $14.95, some at the lowest price ever offered!

Special Ten for $115 Through May 17th: Savings are automatically applied when you buy any group of ten from the following 30 titles: Click here to shop all included titles.
Pin Up Girl
Stagecoach [1966]
Mother Wore Tights
The Return of Frank James
Hello, Frisco, Hello
Three Coins In The Fountain
Untamed
The Whole Town's Talking
The President's Lady
The Big Fix
Behold A Pale Horse
The Quiller Memorandum
Yanks
The Snake Pit
The Chairman
Bandolero!
10 North Frederick
Whirlpool
The River's Edge
Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?
Baby the Rain Must Fall
Talk Radio
Warlock
The Admirable Crichton
The Tall Men
Melvin and Howard
Wild In The Country
Bedazzled
Morituri
Hussy
Featured Title Discount: We are currently featuring what is possibly considered director John Schlesinger’s most tender film Yanks starring Richard Gere and Vanessa Redgrave. In addition to an isolated music track (with some effects), this release has an audio commentary with actor Chuck Vennera and film historians Julie Kirgo and Nick Redman. Mike Finnegan penned several articles on the film: Nostalgia, Both Grand and Intimate and the two-part For Memory's Sake: John Schlesinger's Yanks, which can both be found under the News section at TwilightTimeMovies.com. From now through May 8th if you 1) have a minimum of $44.85 in your cart that 2) includes Yanks you can save an additional $5 off your total purchase by using the coupon code Yanks at checkout.
So naturally, after moaning that I wanted a bunch of $14.95 titles but couldn't really afford them, now I can get quite a few for $11.50 each. Gotta weigh the option now, although I'm sure the shipping will still give me pause, as well as the suspicion that supplies of several of these will last long enough for another price drop. Decisions, decisions.
Old 05-03-20, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Any insider information on what the future of Fox catalog would be at the hands of the Mouse ? Those are the titles that's most worrisome - used to rely on overseas labels like Indicator and Koch Media as well for competitive prices but those labels will be impacted too (am guessing) Does Disney also get MGM catalog from the Fox merge ?
Old 05-03-20, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I see 2 out of the 4 that I want, but am not going purchase 10 titles.
Old 05-04-20, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any insider information on what the future of Fox catalog would be at the hands of the Mouse ? Those are the titles that's most worrisome - used to rely on overseas labels like Indicator and Koch Media as well for competitive prices but those labels will be impacted too (am guessing) Does Disney also get MGM catalog from the Fox merge ?
I thought the word was that the entire Fox catalogue (except for new releases that still bear the company's imprint) has been taken off the market, so to speak, to only be made available through streaming or some such. These articles from a while back are mainly about the catalog being taken out of circulation for theatrical screenings in rep theatres (where they're often quite popular) but one can easily imagine that being extended to include disc-based formats as well.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/disney-is-quietly-placing-classic-fox-movies-into-its-vault.html
https://collider.com/disney-vault-20th-century-fox-movies/

I'd like to think they'll eventually let the boutique labels back in to licence some oldies and what not, because there are so many Fox movies that have yet to come out on DVD, let alone Blu-ray, but who knows. Some of these TT discs may be the last hope for disc collecting dinosaurs like us.

Last edited by Brian T; 05-04-20 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
laidbacklarkin (05-04-20)
Old 05-04-20, 11:23 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

The Fox distribution deal of MGM titles had expired. I believe they are seeking or have a new deal with another company. But there were rumblings that MGM wanted to sell itself and hopefully not to a streaming company like netflix. They probably want to wait until the James Bond movie comes out though.
The following users liked this post:
laidbacklarkin (05-04-20)
Old 05-06-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Items that have gone completely OOS since the beginning of the sale
The Train (Encore) - SOLD OUT
Miss Sadie Thompson 3D -- SOLD OUT
Remo Williams -- SOLD OUT
The Hawaiians -- SOLD OUT
Scorpio -- SOLD OUT
Kiss of Death -- SOLD OUT
THE REMAINS OF THE DAY -- SOLD OUT
HOW TO STEAL A MILLION SOLD OUT
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia SOLD OUT
The Detective appears to be SOLD OUT
COUNT YORGA VAMPIRE -- SOLD OUT
The Best of Everything - SOLD OUT
Twilight Samurai - SOLD OUT

These are OOS at TT.com and are now only at SAE
Auto Focus (Blu-ray) SOLD OUT at TT
Black Widow SOLD OUT at TT
Bravados, The (Blu-ray) SOLD OUT at TT
Bridge at Remagen SOLD OUT at TT
​Crimson Kimono, The (Blu-ray) SOLD OUT at TT
Doctor Dolittle (Blu-ray) SOLD OUT at TT
Edge of Eternity (Blu-ray) SOLD OUT at TT
Exodus SOLD OUT at TT
Forever Amber (Blu-ray) SOLD OUT at TT
Gloria SOLD OUT at TT
Harlock: Space Pirate (3D/2D Blu-ray) SOLD OUT at TT
Hot Rock SOLD OUT at TT
Incident, The (Blu-ray) SOLD OUT at TT
Long Hot Summer SOLD OUT at TT
Manhattan Murder Mystery SOLD OUT at TT
Model Shop (Blu-ray) SOLD OUT at TT
​Panic in Needle Park, The (Blu-ray) SOLD OUT at TT
Strange Invaders SOLD OUT at TT

Low stock items at TT
NOON MAY 6

Brutal Tales of Chivalry (Blu-ray) 7
Cowboy (Blu-ray) 24
Seven-Ups 30
Absolute Beginners 32
Most Beautiful Wife, The (La Moglie Piu Bella) (Blu-ray) 32
Cutter's Way 36
Another Woman 42
Comes a Horseman 50
I Want to Live! (Blu-ray) 52
Alexander The Great (Blu-ray) 53
Stone Killer 69
New Centurions 73
The Last Hurrah 74
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex 84
Gun Fury 3D 88
Eureka 89
From Noon Till Three 97
Geronimo 97
Valachi Papers 108
Interiors 108

All of these except Most Beautiful Wife should also have separate stock available at SAE
I'm not seeing anything at SAE showing less then 50 copies of any individual Blu-ray ASSUMING that the cart stock is accurate. In the past this has been a good approximation, but never 100% reliable

Last edited by hariseldon; 05-06-20 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SUPER LOW stock items at TT (both will still be at SAE if you miss them)
11am ET MAY 10
Brutal Tales of Chivalry (Blu-ray) 1
Seven-Ups SOLD OUT AT TT

Last edited by hariseldon; 05-10-20 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-10-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best as I can tell, TwilightTimeMovies just extended the $10 for 115 sale to almost all 14.95 titles -- I see approx 111 on the list, but I have double checked everything yet. So far I can see Cutter's Way and Eureka aren't included, but still checking on the rest

Also new individual code for Three Coins in the Fountain which will stack with the above deal
SAVE MORE! Use coupon code Coins to save an additional $5 off your total purchase when you have at least $50 in your cart including this title. Expires May 17th, 2020

So far this appears to the list of excluded 14.95 titles

ANASTASIA (1956)
CHATO'S LAND (1972)
CUTTER'S WAY (1981)
EUREKA (1983)
GARDEN OF EVIL (1954)
GLORY GUYS, THE (1965)
I COULD GO ON SINGING (1963)
INSERTS (1975)
ROLLERBALL (1975 / ENCORE EDITION)
ROMEO IS BLEEDING (1993)
RUSSIA HOUSE, THE (1990)
SATAN NEVER SLEEPS (1962)
SHADOWS AND FOG (1991)
ZELIG (1983)

Last edited by hariseldon; 05-10-20 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-10-20, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Press Release is upcoming from Twilight Time saying a full new sale will start tomorrow at least on the TwilightTimeMovies.com site. I don't have an email yet, but

Starting May 11 (or late May 10), all remaining stock will be priced at 3.95, 6.95, 11.95

TwilightTimeMovies.com will close permanently June 30th and all remaining stock will be turned over to ScreenArchivesEntertainment.com on July 1, 2020

It's unknown right now whether SAE will match the prices in this phase of the sale though HTF seems to think it won;t, but as has been expected and speculated for 6-9 months -- Business climate for discs and Nick's Death was the end of Twilight Time for all intents.

more Details if you wish to read the advance Press Release.
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/com.../#post-4865419

Last edited by hariseldon; 05-10-20 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-10-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyway it appears to be a straight price change and new prices now live -- 4.95 now 3.95, 8.95 now 6.95, 14.95 now 11.95

I guess that pretty much kills SAE sales other than those 35-40 titles (and increasing) no longer at TTM

The 10/115 is either updating or they've changed the list again. I'm not sure what's up with it right now -- I'm now seeing 48 titles instead of 112 this morning but several that were excluded are now included. Maybe they are still updating the the New New Sale

Last edited by hariseldon; 05-10-20 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-10-20, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a wrap:

https://www.twilighttimemovies.com/n...t-time-for-us/

After nine years of successful operations in which 380 motion pictures from the 1930s to the 2010s have been released on DVD and Blu-ray disc, the home video label Twilight Time founded by veteran Hollywood studio executives and filmmakers Brian Jamieson and the late, dearly celebrated Nick Redman, will not release any further titles and we will be winding down operations this summer. A changing market, the rising costs of title acquisitions and the passing of longtime partner and company spokesman Nick Redman, are key reasons for the closure.

As part of our winding down process, there will be a one-time reduction in prices to $3.95, $4.45, $6.95 and $11.95 as of Monday, May 11th at www.TwilightTimeMovies.com. Cinemagistics/TwilightTimeMovies.com will continue to sell titles while available through June 30th, at which time they and Twilight Time will cease operations. Remaining inventory will be acquired and distributed exclusively by Screen Archives – effective July 1st 2020.

When launched in 2011, Twilight Time pioneered the concept of bringing rare and distinctive films of all genres to the marketplace in 3,000-unit Limited Editions, exclusively available at two website destinations: Screen Archives Entertainment and later Twilight Time Movies. This allowed devoted movie fans to obtain physical copies of highly desired titles which did not command shelf space at local brick and mortar stores. Nick aptly named the venture Twilight Time, because eventually the concept of film as physical goods would have a ‘sell-by date’ possibly sooner rather than later. Nick once said, “At the onset we never envisaged we would be around for nearly a decade before it was time for the sun to set on the company.”

During that time, the Twilight Time catalog has included fabled films from the libraries of Twentieth Century Fox, Sony Pictures, MGM/United Artists, Universal Studios, Film 4, Protagonist Pictures, Toei Company and other entities, and showcased many Academy Award®- and international prize-winning titles. Thanks to Nick Redman’s 30+ years as an award-winning film music historian and preservationist, most releases have included synchronized Isolated Music or Music-and-Effects Tracks that provided a rare platform for the lauded and unsung composers so vital to the filmmaking process. Many offerings also provided informative Audio Commentary tracks involving co-founder Redman and a host of internationally noted film historians that expertly contextualized and enhanced the viewing experience.

From the beginning, the core Twilight Time players – essayist and commentary contributor Julie Kirgo, packaging designer Louis Falzarano, soundtrack editor/music historian Mike Matessino, disc authoring supervisor Jeff Jewett, and our project coordinator Mike Finnegan – have played essential and “best in class” roles in this unique venture. We also want to recognize the extraordinary help of our Distribution and Marketing partners at Screen Archives and Twilight Time Movies. Most importantly, from the bottom of our hearts we thank you, the appreciative film collector. You have supported us throughout this marvelous journey and will hopefully continue to do so while these “one of a kind” limited-run titles are still accessible to you.

We couldn’t have done it without you – our loyal customers!
Old 05-10-20, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Items flying off the site right now. I can't even get through updating my low volume list before I have to re-do it. Either all the TT fans hit at once or there's some speculators and maybe Overstock/ Movie Store buyers that are scarfing up item 5-10 units at a time - esp the $4/7 titles..

Updated 1AM ET MAY 11
Most Beautiful Woman - SOLD OUT completely

Since this morning -- all of these are now OOS at TTM
Seven Ups SOLD OUT AT TTM
Brutal Tales of Chivalry SOLD OUT AT TTM
Absolute Beginners SOLD OUT AT TTM
Cutters Way SOLD OUT AT TTM
Cowboy SOLD OUT AT TTM
Another Woman SOLD OUT AT TTM
Comes a Horseman SOLD OUT AT TTM
I Want to Live SOLD OUT AT TTM
Stone Killer SOLD OUT AT TTM
New Centurions SOLD OUT AT TTM
Gun Fury 3D SOLD OUT AT TTM
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* SOLD OUT AT TTM
The Valachi Papers SOLD OUT AT TTM

Alexander the Great SOLD OUT AT TTM
Eureka SOLD OUT AT TTM
Geronimo SOLD OUT AT TTM
From Noon Until Three SOLD OUT AT TTM
PEYTON PLACE (1957) SOLD OUT AT TTM
INTERIORS SOLD OUT AT TTM
PRETTY POISON (1968) SOLD OUT AT TTM
LAST HURRAH, THE (1958) SOLD OUT AT TTM
BORN FREE (1966) SOLD OUT AT TTM
A PRAYER FOR THE DYING (1987) SOLD OUT AT TTM
ALICE (1990) SOLD OUT AT TTM
HELL AND HIGH WATER (1954) SOLD OUT AT TTM
UNDERWORLD U.S.A. (1961) SOLD OUT AT TTM
EYE OF THE NEEDLE (1981) SOLD OUT AT TTM
A MONTH IN THE COUNTRY (1987) SOLD OUT AT TTM

Rapid Fire SOLD OUT AT TTM
GANG'S ALL HERE, THE (1943) SOLD OUT AT TTM

Low stock and some moving very fast
MEMBER OF THE WEDDING, THE (1952) 5
FORTUNE COOKIE 10
STANLEY & IRIS (1990) 15
FROM THE TERRACE (1960) 10
8 HEADS IN A DUFFEL BAG 25
HUSBANDS AND WIVES 35
DRAGONWYCK 30
LETS MAKE LOVE 30
KEYS TO THE KINGDOM 55
MY COUSIN RACHEL 60
HOUR OF THE GUN 60
PLAY DIRTY 80
ROMEO IS BLEEDING 80
ZELIG 80
MIDSUMMER NIGHTS SEX COMEDY 85
BLACK WIDOW 90
HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS 95
DONT BOTHER TO KNOCK 95
TWO FOR THE ROAD 100
TONY ROME 105
KID GALAHAD 105
OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT 105
EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS 110
EMPEROR IN AUGUST 115
L-SHAPED ROOM 115
BOSTON STRANGLER 125
NICHOLAS NICKLEBY 125
SEPTEMBER 135
MURPHYS LAW 135
WHO'LL STOP THE RAIN 140

Last edited by hariseldon; 05-11-20 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-10-20, 05:47 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

May pick up a few.

I hope someone else gets the rights to all the Woody Allen titles.
Old 05-10-20, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So basically it’s 10 for $110 with that COINS code. And all the $14.95 titles (including THREE COINS) I’ve been hovering over are still available. Damned tempting. Shipping still sucks, but I leaning toward justifying it. 😄

There’s also some pretty good deals on Classic Flix discs as cart filler here and there.

Last edited by Brian T; 05-10-20 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-10-20, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My cart was full, but decided to pull the trigger on Talk Radio only. The other titles were all available via PRIME and other services to stream, so that's a money saving option right there. Talk Radio was the only "gotta have it" title I wanted.
Old 05-10-20, 10:36 PM
g

I used Pay Pal credit's no interest for 6 months to get:
10 Rillington Place
Beat the devil
Black Stallion Returns
Harry and walter go to New York
juila
Melvin and Howard
Rapid Fire
River's Edge
Stardust Memories
Suddenly last summer
Talk Radio
Three Coins in a fountain

Added Three coins in a fountain to get 5 off.
Old 05-10-20, 10:45 PM

Damn, didn't think things would run out so fast. Added 25 titles to cart and went to have dinner. Came back to confirm order and 5 were OOS. And the worst part of the site is that it doesn't tell you that when you refresh the cart. You go through the entire PayPal payment confirmation only for the site to tell you one of the 5 titles is not in stock. You go through the payment procedure again only to be told the 2nd title that went OOS is not in stock. And so the the circus continues 5 times by which time more could be going OOS :-). 20 titles with $26 in shipping.

Will SAE follow suit ? 90% of TT's offerings currently seem to Fox titles that will be gone for good. I found some through other labels on Amazon's German site but with S/H prices set to go up there in about a month's time, its a gamble with stock as well.
Old 05-10-20, 10:51 PM
g

Screen archive may wait to discount. They want to close down the TT site and sell off any bulk inventory to SAE. So they probably want to push all sales to TT. So I decided to get in now before all the low priced ones sell off.
Old 05-10-20, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

I'm happy some of the titles that I wanted were in-stock!

Ordered:

Snake In The Eagle's Shadow/Drunken Master
Birth of a Nation

Last edited by asianxcore; 05-11-20 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-11-20, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It does sound like this is a TTM inventory clearance deal so I don't think SAE will follow suit now.

There are quite obviously some sort of Bulk Buyers going on. Multiple Repeat deals with 5/10/25 of the same item disappearing. Items that have sold 50-60 copies in 10 week at $2 more have apparently sold 150 copies today.
A couple 11.95 items had nearly 300 copies last night and are now list sold out. I'm not sure I actually believe that since the site went through some squirrel inventory with discs going OOS and coming back at the original inventory,
but I just don't think Inferno 3D and even more SHORT NIGHT OF GLASS DOLLS sold 250-300 copies today alone. A DAY IN THE COUNTRY seemed to sell 70 units in under 5 minutes.
Old 05-11-20, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by hariseldon
It does sound like this is a TTM inventory clearance deal so I don't think SAE will follow suit now.

There are quite obviously some sort of Bulk Buyers going on. Multiple Repeat deals with 5/10/25 of the same item disappearing. Items that have sold 50-60 copies in 10 week at $2 more have apparently sold 150 copies today.
A couple 11.95 items had nearly 300 copies last night and are now list sold out. I'm not sure I actually believe that since the site went through some squirrel inventory with discs going OOS and coming back at the original inventory,
but I just don't think Inferno 3D and even more SHORT NIGHT OF GLASS DOLLS sold 250-300 copies today alone. A DAY IN THE COUNTRY seemed to sell 70 units in under 5 minutes.
Those were the exact titles I had 1 of each in my cart and boom, they were all gone. Clearly scalpers at work.
Old 05-11-20, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those were the exact titles I had 1 of each in my cart and boom, they were all gone. Clearly scalpers at work.
Maybe not. Earlier this week their site had some odd stuff happened with 5-10 titles suddenly going OOS for no reason then a few hrs later pop back up.

There were several instances I saw 100-200 items dump from a title and a day or two later it would be back of the original number. I'm not is buyers had fraudulent orders
cancelled or TT bounced some repeat offenders or somebody accidently made a large order and their CC cancelled/bounced the charge. A holiday Sunday from a site
that never has handled large volume well so I'm hopeful some of these items will come back into stock.

Some of the buyers I suspect are legit stores who will put the inventory on their shelf at a markup, but not Ebay Scalper level.
Put it out for their customers at $20-25 for purchase. For someone who doesn't shop online much or have any idea about SAE/TTM it might be intriguing
for them to see something like Suddenly Last Summer or a bunch of Woody Allen movies they didn't know were even on BD.

I'm not sure I hold those type stores in the same light as those B&N shoppers that used to run out on Tuesday morning an scoop up every BBY Exclusive Steelbook in the city.
There were weekly stories of the same dudes rushing the New Release rack, grabbin 5-10 and running to the checkout while shoving other customers out of their way and refusing to give
the 2nd guy in line a single unit. They were listed on Ebay before they left the parking lot until some Manager would shut them down ( 1 or 2 per customer then the whole YELLING thing happened)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.