DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Criterion flash sale? Any news? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/648830-criterion-flash-sale-any-news.html)

wesferrell 10-08-19 10:01 AM

Criterion flash sale? Any news?

It seems to be about that time. Is there any news of such an event? Even rumors of such an event are welcome! Big question whether the new powers at B&N will continue with their 50% sale in November. Thank you

dex14 10-08-19 10:23 AM

Re: Criterion flash sale? Any news?

Criterion.com bi-annual flash sale next Tuesday most likely.

lumberjack 10-08-19 10:49 AM

Don't know about Tuesday, but I'm counting on next week.

Quack 10-08-19 11:24 AM

How long does the sale last?

andicus 10-08-19 11:37 AM

I wonder if the $10 gift certificate code that was sent to Criterion Channel subscribers will work with the flash code? If so, it may actually make a purchase worthwhile, even with shipping to Canada.

Why So Blu? 10-08-19 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 13620467)
I wonder if the $10 gift certificate code that was sent to Criterion Channel subscribers will work with the flash code? If so, it may actually make a purchase worthwhile, even with shipping to Canada.

It will be. It says in the email. It doesn't have an expiration date either.

dex14 10-08-19 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 13620455)
How long does the sale last?

24 hours, usually 12pm - 12pm eastern.

hariseldon 10-08-19 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13620406)

Originally Posted by lumberjack (Post 13620421)

Sounds about right:
Mon 10/17/2016
Tues 10/17/2017
Tues 10/16/2018

3 of the last 4 Fall sales have started on Tuesday and every Feb/March so that's always the most likely day of the week.

It didn't happen today and they usually trigger around a special release. HAXAN on 10/17 seems a good choice for OCT. Very likely the B&N sale is pretty likely to start the next week (just a guess based on recent 11/1/16, 11/1/2017, 11/2/2018) ). so I think they want to avoid the overlap

hariseldon 10-08-19 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13620406)

Originally Posted by lumberjack (Post 13620421)

Sounds about right though I wouldn't be shocked for Monday 10/14 nad move the New release up a day like the last time
Mon 10/17/2016
Tues 10/17/2017
Tues 10/16/2018

3 of the last 4 Fall sales have started on Tuesday and every Feb/March so that's always the most likely day of the week.
It didn't happen today and they usually trigger around a special release so HAXAN on 10/17 seems a lot more likely than When We Were Kings on 10/24 and very likely the B&N sale is pretty likely to start the next week
so I think they want to avoid the overlap

Jon2 10-08-19 08:24 PM

Never even heard of a Criterion flash sale. Whats the deal usually?

hariseldon 10-08-19 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jon2 (Post 13620822)

CRITERION.COM direct sale.
50% off MSRP on all In Stock Criterions (DVD,Eclipse, BD) -- 24 Hrs twice a year.
Free Shipping (Lower 48 US) for $50+ purchases

But:
$50 GC earned for every $500 lifetime purchases (cumulative) -- so essentially 9% discount overall
No sales tax in the past for many people -- that list is getting shorter by the sale.
"The Criterion Collection is required to collect sales tax on orders shipping to Alabama, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Washington and Washington D.C."

About the same as Barnes and Noble Sale from a price standpoint assuming BN continues to block coupons, you aren't a B&N member, and don't use discount Gift Cards
For B&N members and esp those that can buy 10-20% discounted GC, B&N still works out a little cheaper. Some people prefer to support Local Store and pick their own titles -- esp for the boxset and digipacks which don't always ship easily

MooMooMooMoo 10-08-19 10:51 PM

That sales tax runes most of these sales for me.

DWilson 10-09-19 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jon2 (Post 13620822)

Half off MSRP, -Free shipping at $50

Kedrix 10-10-19 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by hariseldon (Post 13620841)
CRITERION.COM direct sale.
50% off MSRP on all In Stock Criterions (DVD,Eclipse, BD) -- 24 Hrs twice a year.
Free Shipping (Lower 48 US) for $50+ purchases

But:
$50 GC earned for every $500 lifetime purchases (cumulative) -- so essentially 9% discount overall
No sales tax in the past for many people -- that list is getting shorter by the sale.
"The Criterion Collection is required to collect sales tax on orders shipping to Alabama, California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, Washington and Washington D.C."

I wonder due to recent events if I being in Texas will now start to pay sales tax for Criterion. I now have to pay Tax on Ebay, Discogs.com and Amazon third-party as of 10/1 (other sites too but those are my three biggies). Hopefully not, but we'll see I guess.

lumberjack 10-10-19 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 13621549)
I wonder due to recent events if I being in Texas will now start to pay sales tax for Criterion. I now have to pay Tax on Ebay, Discogs.com and Amazon third-party as of 10/1 (other sites too but those are my three biggies). Hopefully not, but we'll see I guess.

I live in Texas, too, and I suspect we'll now be paying sales tax on everything. The only advantage the internet has now over B&M is not having to deal with people.

hariseldon 10-10-19 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 13621549)

I'm going to guess that will eventually be yes, but the sales tax list in their appears to be updated pretty recently. I guess you could run a test cart and go to the checkout page. At some point prior to Submit order it should tell you

rocket1312 10-10-19 01:43 PM

Everyone is already paying the sales tax in the form of the use tax you're declaring on your tax return. This just means you're paying it up front now. No big deal. You've all been declaring use tax, right? RIGHT?!

Trevor 10-10-19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13621819)
Everyone is already paying the sales tax in the form of the use tax you're declaring on your tax return. This just means you're paying it up front now. No big deal. You've all been declaring use tax, right? RIGHT?!

I have been. It’s nice that nearly every webstore takes it up front now.

PhantomStranger 10-10-19 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 (Post 13621819)

Many states had use tax exemptions for purchases under $100 before the Supreme Court changed their minds and opened the flood gates.

MooMooMooMoo 10-11-19 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by lumberjack (Post 13621643)
I live in Texas, too, and I suspect we'll now be paying sales tax on everything. The only advantage the internet has now over B&M is not having to deal with people.

And what the pols don't get, is we not only have to pay tax on the net now, but also s&h unless one orders over a minimum amount. In the days of B&M's, I would save on gas (s&h) by planning a route. Not that there's any left, but imo the tax gives the b&m's an advantage over net retailers; especially on inexpensive, small items (CD's & film discs)

lumberjack 10-11-19 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 13622150)
And what the pols don't get, is we not only have to pay tax on the net now, but also s&h unless one orders over a minimum amount. In the days of B&M's, I would save on gas (s&h) by planning a route. Not that there's any left, but imo the tax gives the b&m's an advantage over net retailers; especially on inexpensive, small items (CD's & film discs)

Ironically, B&M stores are no longer interested in selling CDs/DVDs.

Paff 10-14-19 02:34 PM

Shit. Forgot it happens in October (I thought it was November for some reason). Just picked up a few discs at the Shout sale.

But there's a lot of Criterions I want, and I'll hit the number for the gift certificate this time around.

hariseldon 10-14-19 03:15 PM

Flash Sale October
B&N Sale November -- if you miss something tomorrow, you'll have 4-5 weeks to make up for it. Other than the Hitchcock and Rock Box sets which appear to be mostly exclusive to Criterion -- I know Amazon sells some fo the Hitch boxes, but never below $50