Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Barnes & Noble Summer 2019 Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 28 through August 5

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Summer 2019 Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 28 through August 5

Old 07-10-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Barnes & Noble Summer 2019 Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 28 through August 5

I went to BN again and picked up Dressed to Kill, Bull Durham and Thief.

As part of the 50% Arrow sale, I got Waterworld and 12 Monkeys.

I'm done for awhile now.
Old 07-10-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Barnes & Noble Summer 2019 Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale June 28 through August 5

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I went to BN again and picked up Dressed to Kill, Bull Durham and Thief.

As part of the 50% Arrow sale, I got Waterworld and 12 Monkeys.

I'm done for awhile now.
How much longer is that Arrow sale?
Old 07-10-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It doesn't say on the website or in store. The Arrow titles are harder to find because they're mixed in with the others (DVD and BD) It's not like the Criterion where they have their own section in store. But this is only if you actually go to a BN B&M.

If you really want some Arrow titles, I'd suggest ordering online.
Old 07-10-19, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
It doesn't say on the website or in store. The Arrow titles are harder to find because they're mixed in with the others (DVD and BD) It's not like the Criterion where they have their own section in store. But this is only if you actually go to a BN B&M.

If you really want some Arrow titles, I'd suggest ordering online.

Most stores only have 15-20 titles (except for a handful of the Superstores like Power Plant/Baltimore, a couple in NYC and LA) and even half of those aren't on sale unless you get the store to PM the website which some stores will do now. Unfortunately a PM seems to negate the 10% member discount unless the store allows that as well since
the PM turns it essentially into a Website Pick Up In Store item which is considered a Web Purchase (the opposite of the ShiptoHome item which is considered a store purchase and is eligible for the member discount).

The Arrow sale is primarily an online sale, Items through 7/23 releases are on sale (but not the 8/6 reelase) so that implies the end date is likely sometime between the end of the day 7/31 and 8/5
Old 07-12-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not related to the sale but related to some of the Criterion discs:

Did any of you guys ever have any problem with bronzing on some of the Criterion titles replicated/released during 2009-2010? I have encountered 7 titles so far that I am going to have to ask for a replacement for. A few of them are titles not even mentioned on the "master" list of affected titles. Kagemusha and 8 1/2 are two of them that I have problems with along with Walkabout, Monsoon Wedding, M, Revanche and Paris, Texas. Those are the titles that I have found up to this point of going through my collection. I probably checked 30 discs today. You guys might want to do the same if you have some of these titles and haven't watched them in some time. I am also pissed to know that my Monster Squad, which is now OOP, is starting to bronze. I also posted this in the Criterion thread.
Old 07-13-19, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post

Did any of you guys ever have any problem with bronzing on some of the Criterion titles replicated/released during 2009-2010? I have encountered 7 titles so far that I am going to have to ask for a replacement for. A few of them are titles not even mentioned on the "master" list of affected titles. Kagemusha and 8 1/2 are two of them that I have problems with along with Walkabout, Monsoon Wedding, M, Revanche and Paris, Texas. Those are the titles that I have found up to this point of going through my collection. I probably checked 30 discs today. You guys might want to do the same if you have some of these titles and haven't watched them in some time. I am also pissed to know that my Monster Squad, which is now OOP, is starting to bronze. I also posted this in the Criterion thread.
Just mail the discs to them (Attn: Jon Mulvaney) without the cases. Replacement turnaround is pretty fast. It was 6 discs in my collection that had bronzed up
Old 07-13-19, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Which titles bronzed?
Old 07-13-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Which titles bronzed?
All the ones mentioned in your earlier post (I had the same titles) + In The Realm Of The Senses
Old 07-13-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the response. I hope to get them out this week and get the replacements soon enough. I don't own anywhere close to all of the Criterions but I do own quite a few.
Old 07-13-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the response. I hope to get them out this week and get the replacements soon enough. I don't own anywhere close to all of the Criterions but I do own quite a few.
YRW. Here's the notification from Blu-ray.com for reference: https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15142
Old 07-13-19, 02:14 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Slightly Longer list directly from Criterion.
https://www.criterion.com/current/po...efective-discs
Old 07-14-19, 08:31 AM

Looks like the 20% of online code, JULYREADS, may work on Arrow titles. Can't confirm it weekend on every Arrow title but appears I've successfully applied it to 3 titles that were already marked siren 50%. Code ends 7/16.
Old 07-14-19, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzinator View Post
Looks like the 20% of online code, JULYREADS, may work on Arrow titles. Can't confirm it weekend on every Arrow title but appears I've successfully applied it to 3 titles that were already marked siren 50%. Code ends 7/16.
It should work on every Arrow except preorders and since it expires 11:59pm PT on the 16th it will work on Tuesday releases if you wait until about 1-2am ET
Old 07-15-19, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hadn't heard that about Monster Squad, now I will have to check my disc. The movie has been reissued, but in an inferior set from another distributor.
Old 07-15-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I remember reading awhile back about Monster Squad being one of the Lionsgate releases from around that time period where other titles like House of 1000 Corpses, American Psycho and a few of the early Saw movies came out. All of those movies are no coasters for me. I had to replace House of 1000 with a later edition and repurchase some of the Saw movies. American Psycho was replaced with the 4k set.
Old 07-16-19, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
It should work on every Arrow except preorders and since it expires 11:59pm PT on the 16th it will work on Tuesday releases if you wait until about 1-2am ET
No longer works on Arrow titles.
Old 07-16-19, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
No longer works on Arrow titles.

Sometime midday yesterday they nixed the coupons on 50%+ off items including Arrows. Should have known it wasn't intentional.
I had an order ready to go after midnight that I was going to order a couple of the New Release Arrows and 10 of the old items that were in stock, but lost out on all of them.
Oh well -- eventually ArrowUK will have most of them for $10-12 shipped anyway.
Old 07-16-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to pull myself away from this sale before I'm forced to sell plasma for Criterions.

This is my every growing list:
Blue Velvet
Funny Games
War and Peace
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Chimes At Midnight
House of Games
The Kid Brother
The Immortal Story
Andrei Ruble
The American Friend
David Lynch: The Art of Life (Amazon Prime Sale)
Canoa: A Shameful Memory
Wanda
Police Story (Amazon Prime Sale)
Klute
Tess
Europa Europa
Do The Right Thing
Sid & Nancy
Breathless
Bitter Rice (Amazon)
Gate of Hell (Amazon)
Vampyr
Wings of Desire

I also picked up A Fish Called Wanda from the Arrow sale.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 07-28-19 at 11:12 PM. Reason: More movies, less money.
Old 07-16-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty much stuck to my original intentions and picked up all the definitely's and the probably's, and went a little beyond with one further title (so far) - The Piano Teacher.

I definitely won't be picking up War And Peace- too much of a time investment that I can't see myself honestly attempting.
I'd still like to grab the BRD trilogy, but only if I watch an equivalent number of the Criterions I already own before the sale ends- and if I can move a few more things on Amazon and ebay.
Old 07-17-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, I remember reading awhile back about Monster Squad being one of the Lionsgate releases from around that time period where other titles like House of 1000 Corpses, American Psycho and a few of the early Saw movies came out. All of those movies are no coasters for me. I had to replace House of 1000 with a later edition and repurchase some of the Saw movies. American Psycho was replaced with the 4k set.

Was this limited to just Lionsgate films? I just went through some of my collection and noticed some bronzing on the inner circle while others had a lot more. Among mine were House of 1000 Corpses, Monster Squad, Lord of War, The Condemned and the Saw movies.

Also, which edition of House of 1000 Corpses did to use as a replacement? The two Rob Zombie flicks are the ones I'm most concerned about. I picked up the recently released Saw collection on the cheap to fill out any missing titles from that collection.
Old 07-18-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkdaze73 View Post
Was this limited to just Lionsgate films? I just went through some of my collection and noticed some bronzing on the inner circle while others had a lot more. Among mine were House of 1000 Corpses, Monster Squad, Lord of War, The Condemned and the Saw movies.

Also, which edition of House of 1000 Corpses did to use as a replacement? The two Rob Zombie flicks are the ones I'm most concerned about. I picked up the recently released Saw collection on the cheap to fill out any missing titles from that collection.
Lionsgate films was one of the studios affected other than some of the Criterion releases, but I do not believe they were the only two. Whatever studios had their films replicated at certain site during 09-10 were at risk to have this bronzing issue. I have also read that other titles like Event Horizon and some copies of There Will Be Blood have gone bad for some people. I'm not sure if that is directly related to this bronzing issue or just simply that sometimes you will get a disc that just goes bad. My House of 1000 Corpses was replaced with the two disc set of it and the Devil's Rejects. I believe they are just the exact same replicated discs but done a few years later, putting them outside the bronzing replication time frame. I need to check my Stir of Echoes and Cujo, as they were also released around that time and both are from Lionsgate. The bad thing about getting the collection discs for Saw is that they are usually inferior releases to the ones we have already paid for. This whole scenario is upsetting.

I added my Police Story to my purchases. The price was too tempting during the Prime sale. Going to pick up 1984 and Do The Right Thing and then retire until the next sale.
Old 07-19-19, 09:07 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The other studio was "well go" I believe.
Old 07-21-19, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally picked up "The New World" as I've always wanted to see the extended cut. Also picked up the Police Story collection. That's it for me.
Old 07-23-19, 12:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Made my (hopefully) final run to BN to grab 1984 and Do The Right Thing today. That's it until the next sale.
Old 07-23-19, 02:35 PM

I think I'm making my last trip tomorrow and need to pick up 5 or all 6 of the July items.

I also need to look at the preorders/STH again to see if they added any sale items from Aug/Sept - nobody has reported it, but I'm not sure anyone has checked lately.
If not this week then August 1-2 they sometimes flip the switch on some titles.

EDIT: I was in store today and checked the Ship to Home on 2 Aug and 2 Sept releases -- no discounts this year it appears. I guess things possibly might change on Aug 1-2, but I'm not counting on it.

Last edited by hariseldon; 07-24-19 at 02:55 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.