DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray June 11 through June 16, 2019 (Excludes Criterions, Disney, Marvel) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/647890-barnes-noble-40%25-off-msrp-blu-ray-june-11-through-june-16-2019-excludes-criterions-disney-marvel.html)

hariseldon 06-11-19 02:20 PM

Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray June 11 through June 16, 2019 (Excludes Criterions, Disney, Marvel)

Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray excludes Disney/Marvel/Lucas and Criterions
DVD don't appear to be included this year
Tuesday June 11 through June 16, 2019

Typical Sale Information from past sales: It's always best to consider this primarily an in-store sale with a partial online component
1) Should include all Blu-rays in-store except the excluded categories -- Movies, TV Sets, and at least some 4KUHD are usually eligible.
Most items classified as Music items including a LP or CD with Blu-ray are classified as Music aren't normally included.
In-store also includes items available for store computer generated ship to home program and coupons appear to be applying online and in-store so far.. Normal Fathers Day weekend coupon should show up Thursday and are probably 20% and minimally 15% single item codes.
The STH programs allows non-media stores to participate in this type sale.
STH orders can often be done by phone (not all stores will do) and can all stores not just your local. This can be extremely helpful for those without a local store, but each store can do the order differently -- not all allow extra coupons and most phone orders do not allow Gift Card use.
There are a few studios and items classified at Web Only which function as 3rd Party and aren't included though there aren't many in this group

2) Online -- usually about 1/2 - 2/3 of items are included, . Some studios like Warner Archives rarely are included online, but most are discounted for the store generated ship to home orders.
Newer release and some Deluxe items often are excluded pure online as well.

3) 10% Member discount apply in-store (and ShipToHome orders). Coupons both on-line and in-store allowed,

4) Preorders are almost never 40% off online. In-store ship to home can often allow some of the these items to be ordered at 40% off though coupons shouldn't be allowed. Not all preorders will be included, but I've had items up to 8-10 weeks out allowed so YMMV. BAckordered or OOS items usually aren't allowed to be ordered online or STH though the warehouse stock for STH orders isn't exactly the same as normal web orders (I had it go both directions)

As a rule, not all items 40% off even with member and extra coupons are good deals. Many mass market items and TV sets often get 65-80% discounts during Deep Discount or Best Buy sales so check past price history of specific items or similar categories.

I find this sale can be especially good on items that rarely go on sale -- or at least very rarely. Most/Many of these aren't discounted online, but tend to be mostly available through the ship-to-home program -- Warner Archives, Allied Vaughn Sony and Universal MOD pressed BD, Cohen, a lot of Shout Factory. Flicker Alley can sometimes be a good deal, but often B&N system have those listed at their original MSRP and not the latest MSRP (FA for some reason is far more aggressive at dropping the MSRP than most studios.). With coupons and/or member discounts the WAC item can often be lower than 4/44 sales AND usually no worries about multidisc, TV Sets, or new releases being excluded.

SHIP TO HOME ORDERS -- Quick Primer
Store generated Ship-to- Home orders can be the gold mine in this sale since you don't have to (pre)order an item into the store hoping it will arrive before the end of the sale like in the old days nor hope it's in-stock at your local store. It also makes Non Media stores almost as useful as Media stores since I find the STH part of the sale is where most of the best deals are. Even though these are shipped to your house, this is considered an "Instore purchase from the Extended Warehouse or Virtual Backroom" in virtually every way - in-store price, member discount, in-store coupons. The only thing that can be an issue is whether you still have to meet the $35 price for Free Non-member shipping -- in December a lot of folks made small orders and still got FS (I wouldn't expect that again).

Ship to Home orders will also be allowed by some stores over the phone -- again this is even more time consuming so try to hit the slow times of the day. Not all stores will do this, but most seem to be OK with it. This is extremely nice for folks without a nearby store, a last minute order for a forgotten item, or something that may have been OOS earlier, but comes back into stock during the sale. Coupons can be iffy on phone orders, Member Discount shouldn't be a problem, and MOST stores will only allow CC/Debit and do not accept Gift Cards by phone. There is also no reason you can't use an Oregon or Hawaii store if you live on the East Coast.

Backordered or OOS items aren't usually allowed to be ordered though sometimes the store STH inventory can differ from the std online inventory.

Overall this sounds more complicated than it really is -- 1st time is time consuming but not difficult if the CSR has done it before. Once you've done it a couple times it makes more sense and at the same store it becomes much easier/quicker since a lot of the basic information will preload into the computer

Std procedure of STH orders is to go to the Cust Service desk and ask to create an order -- it can be done at checkout counter in some stores, but it's time consuming and even at slow periods the line behind you can expand uncomfortably. If you haven't done an order from this specific store before they usually have to input all your data from scratch so be prepared - email address and phone number, billing/shipping address, etc create an invoice at the CSR computer and have you take that to the counter for payment though I have had some CS process the payment at the same spot. Sometime shipping is on the invoice and the member discount isn't reflected, but the 40% off price should be correct. At the Checkout desk, they add your Member Infor which deducts the 10% and subtract any shipping charges it you make a less than $35 order. If you have some coupons they usually get added at the checkout computer. Pay and they should give you a receipt to attach to your CSR generated invoice printout -- I strongly suggest stapling those together and saving all the paper until every item is delivered and the return period expired.

If you think it's hard finding items by search at home and get the format correct, it's not much easier for the CSR. I usually go armed with a list of items and their UPC codes since that should take you directly to the item/format you want (most of the time the 12 digit UPC works, but sometimes the computer wants the 13 digit BN UPC with the leading zero)

Normally you will get an email notification of your ORDER along with an order number -- make 100% sure your email is in their system before they generate the invoice. This IS NOT going to show up under your online account order status. If for some reason you need to contact BN about anything, make sure you clarify it was a store STH order and not a normal web order -- their system has always separated those items as well. There is a special email address to contact BN for STH orders if you go that route.

PhantomStranger 06-12-19 02:50 PM

Re: Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray June 11 through June 17, 2019 (Excludes Criterions, Disney, Mar

I've always avoided using the STH process for the hassles you cite. I couldn't imagine using it during a busy period at one of my local Barnes & Nobles.

hariseldon 06-12-19 02:59 PM

Re: Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray June 11 through June 17, 2019 (Excludes Criterions, Disney, Mar

It's not that bad once you've done it a few times. Especially at the same store where they can pull up the prior pre filled information. It takes a little more time, but it's such a massive advantage to getting discs that aren;t in store for substantial discounts, I find it indispensable. Twice as many items on sale, but more importantly 90% of the itmes I order aren't 40% off online plus can add my member discount. I just hand the clerk my list with title/UPC and it can be fairly painless. I bet I've ordered 150 discs through STH in the last couple years.

Phone it orders I only do in emergencies since it adds 2 layers of effort, but some people really like to do it from in front of their computer in their underwear. If they'd take my discounted GC over the phone I'd probably do it more, but losing that extra 15-20% discount is tough.

hariseldon 06-12-19 11:04 PM

15% Off Any Online Order or 20% Off $40+ Online Order
FATHERSDAY
Expires June 17, 2019 2:59am ET

Pending to see if any in-store member codes show up in a few hours

15% Off Single Item In-store
T9F8V9K
Expires 6/16/2019 at close of Business
Appears to be generic multiuse coupon at the discretion of your clerk. Should only apply once per transaction though

Adam Tyner 06-13-19 06:42 PM

FATHERSDAY sucked me back in.

Ultra HD Blu-ray

Annihilation - $12.47
Pet Sematary - $12.47
Mary, Queen of Scots - $14.39
Ghostbusters / Ghostbusters II Steelbook (my first order) - $31.67

Blu-ray

House on Haunted Hill (1999) - $16.79

I'm kind of kicking myself for not picking up Batman: The Animated Series at that absurdly low price, but I'm way too backlogged with TV seasons at the moment anyway.

mattysemo247 06-14-19 12:13 PM

I picked up the Fast and Furious 4K collection for $48. I've had gift cards in my wallet for years now and can never find anything at B&N, so for $6 a movie I figured it was worth it. And on top of that I can sell my old Blu Rays since this set comes with them.

PhantomStranger 06-14-19 03:56 PM

For all we know, this could be one of the last big media sales at Barnes & Noble. The new management may not think these kind of promotions make sense.

Paul_SD 06-14-19 04:06 PM

I called up to check the in-store, ship to home prices on some of the SF and other titles I was considering. They seem to all check out so I'll be heading out in a a little while to hit them up and save another 10%.

I'm prepared to no longer take the Criterion sales for granted so I'll be maxing out next month.
I wish there were more things available that I could use for this sale here. Between what doesn't qualify, what hasn't been released yet, and what is proprietary to labels like Twilight Time, pickings are kind of slim for me right now.

hariseldon 06-14-19 06:54 PM

Note correction in the OP. I actually saw the Printed BN signage in store an hour ago for the first time and it appears the end date is Sunday Night June 16, not Monday 17th

Paul_SD 06-14-19 08:03 PM

Think I got pretty lucky tonight. Not only did all the Shout titles I had them check come up as 40% off in-store (some were still only 10% online), but I mini-bonded with one of the asst. managers in the graphic novel section, and when I got to the registers to check out he was there and did an override to use the Father's day code for STH.

I didn't realize that the cc# on file was the old, pre-hacked one so my membership had lapsed. Deducting the membership fee from the total, eight Shout titles + one new Arrow + Better Call Saul S4 all came to under $150. Less than $15 each including tax.
I may try to get off another small order. Even they don't do an override the next time, the per title average cost is still going to be worth the effort.
And who knows what the future is going to look like with this store? I remember the last year of Borders I was scooping up hellacious deals on pricey sets with all the coupons they were kicking out and allowing to stack.

Paul_SD 06-15-19 06:13 PM

Re: Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray June 11 through June 16, 2019 (Excludes Criterions, Disney, Mar

This is working on pre-orders that are going to street well after the sale ends.
Just ordered This Island Earth (7/9) and Corvette Summer (6/18) over the phone- both discounted at 40%. Wasn't able to use the FATHERSDAY code, but they still took the 15% off one (of the most expensive item in the order) as well as the 10% membership discount on the entire order.

This sale is ...kind of insane. I don't expect to see Shout deals like this again for a long, long time.

Classic Films 06-15-19 06:14 PM

Re: Barnes & Noble 40% Off MSRP Blu-ray June 11 through June 16, 2019 (Excludes Criterions, Disney, Mar

I assume as in past sales the Warner Archive titles are 40% off with ship to home though preorders are excluded.

Paul_SD 06-15-19 06:23 PM

Corvette Summer is a WA pre-order. It came up as 40% off when the clerk looked it up- no override needed.

hariseldon 06-15-19 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 13565778)
This is working on pre-orders that are going to street well after the sale ends.
Just ordered This Island Earth (7/9) and Corvette Summer (6/18) over the phone- both discounted at 40%. Wasn't able to use the FATHERSDAY code, but they still took the 15% off one (of the most expensive item in the order) as well as the 10% membership discount on the entire order.

This sale is ...kind of insane. I don't expect to see Shout deals like this again for a long, long time.

++

Actually that's been pretty common with the 40% sale with STH orders. Sometimes a couple weeks , sometimes as mjch as 10 weeks out if the item is in the system. The FATHERSDAY code won't work on any STH since it's a online only code, but usually no coupons of any sort work on preorders unless the clerk manually overrides. Shout discs are always this price during the 40% sales and evena little better in Dec since hte coupons are larger -- of course that's assuming you aren't assuming/implying this is the last 40% sale

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 13565779)
I assume as in past sales the Warner Archive titles are 40% off with ship to home though preorders are excluded.

I was able to get Popeye, Gaslight, and Corvette Summer fo 40% off -- again fairly common for the WAC preorders that are int he system. I've been able to do that since the STH program started a couple years ago so its pretty typical though I guess not guaranteed

Classic Films 06-15-19 09:04 PM

Ah I wish I knew it worked with preorders. I would have gotten Gaslight with one of my 20% off coupons I got in the mail. I probably will get it tomorrow anyway. Can't really complain as I got Summer Stock and A Patch of Blue for $9.50 each plus tax with my membership and 20% coupons.

The Thin Man, which the Archive is releasing in July apparently is not in B&N's system yet as it doesn't come up on their website like Gaslight does.

Anyone know if the MOD blu rays from SONY like "Oliver! " are included in the 40% off sale? I see "The Trouble With Angels" is available as a preorder on the B&N website . If I recall correctly they were not included during the December sale.

hariseldon 06-15-19 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 13565819)
Ah I wish I knew it worked with preorders. I would have gotten Gaslight with one of my 20% off coupons I got in the mail. I probably will get it tomorrow anyway. Can't really complain as I got Summer Stock and A Patch of Blue for $9.50 each plus tax with my membership and 20% coupons.

The Thin Man, which the Archive is releasing in July apparently is not in B&N's system yet as it doesn't come up on their website like Gaslight does.

Anyone know if the MOD blu rays from SONY like "Oliver! " are included in the 40% off sale? I see "The Trouble With Angels" is available as a preorder on the B&N website . If I recall correctly they were not included during the December sale.

While they are part of the 40% sale 10% member discount, they are still pre-orders and coupons won't apply -- unless you get a helpful clerk who manually applies the discount

The Sony MOD items are definitely part of the sale via STH (not the Choice Collection which I think is OOP and/or discontinued) and most of them were part of the December sale since I ordered a bunch then and again this sale. Most of the Universal MOD line is also part of the STH sale, but I ran across 2 which weren't (Egg and I and For Whom the Bell Tolls)

I didn't realize Trouble With Angels were part of the sale or i would have included it in my afternoon STH order which I hoped would be my last

Paul_SD 06-15-19 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by hariseldon (Post 13565831)

The Sony MOD items are definitely part of the sale via STH (not the Choice Collection which I think is OOP and/or discontinued) and most of them were part of the December sale since I ordered a bunch then and again this sale.

:lol: Happy to hear you're taking advantage of these too, and not just doing all this work for us mooks.

And classic may have missed out using the 20%, but the 15% here is for printing out and using in-store (one item only).

I think I had problems with this sale in the past in that the sale prices online weren't always reflected when I went to do a STH. That's why I was ignoring this until I gave it a shot yesterday.

I'm going to try for some July and August pre-orders tomorrow (they are already in the system) and probably the Lugosi/Karloff set using the coupon.

And yeah, I'm going to max this out because changes might be coming hard and fast now if Daunt is going to carry out his stated goals- which I have no reason not to believe he would.

asianxcore 06-15-19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 13565454)
I'm prepared to no longer take the Criterion sales for granted so I'll be maxing out next month.

I will probably do the same. Does the sale (usually) start next month?

hariseldon 06-15-19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_SD (Post 13565840)
:lol: Happy to hear you're taking advantage of these too, and not just doing all this work for us mooks.

And classic may have missed out using the 20%, but the 15% here is for printing out and using in-store (one item only).

I think I had problems with this sale in the past in that the sale prices online weren't always reflected when I went to do a STH. That's why I was ignoring this until I gave it a shot yesterday.

I'm going to try for some July and August pre-orders tomorrow (they are already in the system) and probably the Lugosi/Karloff set using the coupon.

And yeah, I'm going to max this out because changes might be coming hard and fast now if Daunt is going to carry out his stated goals- which I have no reason not to believe he would.

The 15% works, but still not for pre-orders

The 40% off on Preorders in the system is not guaranteed. In Dec about 6 of the 10 items I checked were on sale. Everything I've checked this sale is 40% off -- a number of hte Shout Title out to the end of August, the Noir Archives V2, Space 1999 Complete set (apparently this was mislisted as 130 MSRP a few days ago, but someone said they checked today and it was back to a normal 109 MSRP which makes the 40% Off quite nice esp for members. Universal Horror V2 was 40% off, FWIW almost every preorder anyone has reported on bluray.com including a couple Employees have been reported back as 40% off in the computer.

On STH orders you do have to double check the MSRP since a number of itmes have have MSRP drops online, but the BN computer seems to keep the original MSRP. A couple people have had issues with some 4K items which have the original 35MSRP, but online the MSRP has now dropped to 27 so the 40% off has a drastically different result

Paul_SD 06-15-19 11:37 PM

D'oh! That's right. I forgot about coupons and pre-orders.

kahuna 06-16-19 11:40 AM

Fast & Furious 8-Movie 4K Collection ($59.99) - after 20% off $47.99

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...=0191329102107

hariseldon 06-16-19 12:52 PM

Just a reminder that the sale appears to end at the end of the day on Sunday, not Monday as originally thought

Classic Films 06-16-19 04:01 PM

I was able to preorder "Gaslight" today but I was told I couldn't order "The Trouble With Angels" because the warehouse was showing no stock. They have the same release date. Anyway I was less enthusiastic about Trouble so I just accepted what I was told.

Paul_SD 06-16-19 04:41 PM

If you really want it, and are a member, I'd call the store up- or another location and order it STH that way.

I know for a fact that it can be ordered 'cause I just ordered it like that a couple hours ago.

When you do call up, I would give them the UPC number for any titles you want to order. All the clerks I've dealt with the last few days have seemed to appreciate the clear specificity of looking up something that way. Even when I ordered in store I just handed him a list of those numbers, which you can get off the product description page.

Was able to order some Shout titles that aren't released till August. Best sale in a long time for me!

hariseldon 06-16-19 09:50 PM

Might also try Trouble with Angels again. I just placed a phone order for that and Birdy Bluray and the very nice clerk helping me confirmed both was on sale and available.
It's the first time I've tried to do a distant store phone in order, but I got home from traveling only to find all my local normal stores closed at 8pm ET (called at 8:04pm) so I used a store in Mountain Time Zone.