Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Arrow Video Christmas Sale 2018 - Dec 12 to Jan 9

Old 12-13-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Arrow Video Christmas Sale 2018 - Dec 12 to Jan 9

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
If anyone needed a reason to grab an all-region player -- which can be had for cheap these days -- to sit beside your Region A model, Arrow Video is it. Then the lists won't matter!
I have a cheap Panasonic that allows me to play Arrow Region B discs with a simple button combination.
Old 12-13-18, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I agree with Brian T. Get a cheap, old but reliable A/B player.
Old 12-13-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Yeah, I agree with Brian T. Get a cheap, old but reliable A/B player.
Are there A/B players that play Region B right out of the box, or do they have to be "modified"?
Old 12-13-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The one I have — a Seiki SR4KP1– just requires a button combination to change regions. The last region B disc I tried didn’t require a combo, so I don’t know if I’ve locked it in permanently or what. (I know it was a region B disc I tried too because my other player threw a region warning.)
Old 12-13-18, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
The one I have ó a Seiki SR4KP1Ė just requires a button combination to change regions. The last region B disc I tried didnít require a combo, so I donít know if Iíve locked it in permanently or what. (I know it was a region B disc I tried too because my other player threw a region warning.)
It's not permanent, but you have to switch back to A to play an A-locked disc. If you have it B and take the disc out or power down, it remains in B-region or turns the region locks off completely like a DVD players. Some players like OPPO that do have a memory so if you play a B disc, then change region to A, and reinsert the B disc later the player automatically will play it UNTIL the persistent memory is full or deleted. I don't think the Seiki is this capable though it is a monster of a machine esp for $35-50 like a lot of them were clearanced at. I got one just to play with now happily works as my 3rd player.

There are no Bluray players region free out of the box. They either require a modification or some button sequence to change between regions (one region at a time). The Seiki was one of the few that even allowed the latter. I don't think there is any player that automatically recognizes a switches region

The Panasonic workaround worked for many discs and some players, but not all Panasonics and not all discs worked (those most seemed to).
Old 12-14-18, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Iíd recommend searching ďregion free blu-ray playerĒ on eBay. There are plenty of pre-hacked brand new players from reputable electronics retailers, some of which donít require any switching back and forth. Iíve been region-free DVD players for over a decade, but I grabbed a nice Sony blu-ray/DVD unit a couple of years ago that plays 3D to boot, for less than $100. Prices may or may not be the same these days, but Iím sure thereís a range, and the freedom of buying any disc from anywhere is mighty appealing.
Old 12-14-18, 12:59 AM

I hear they're also doing an iTunes sale later this month.
Old 12-15-18, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Put in a small order earlier today, consisting of a few titles I've been meaning to upgrade for a while now.

Audition
The Fury
Detective Bureau 2-3: Go to Hell Bastards!
Old 12-16-18, 06:47 PM

Does anyone know if Arrow is still shipping some of their newer releases with first pressing booklets? Specifically, THE CASE OF THE SCORPION'S TAIL, PYJAMA GIRL CASE, and IMAGES.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-19, 09:57 PM

Anyone know if the Tinto Brass titles are still being sent out with booklets? --Peter