Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Creature From the Black Lagoon Legacy Collection BD announced by Universal

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Creature From the Black Lagoon Legacy Collection BD announced by Universal

Old 10-23-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Originally Posted by hariseldon
If you are only going to do the 2D then no difference anyway, but might as contact Universal and have them send you the new disc. I can't remember if they ask for the
old disc back, but I don't think they have in the past.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/090618-0900
They didn't ask for my old disc back. It's in the paper sleeve the replacement came in and stored in the case with the other 2 discs.
Old 10-23-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Even with my crummy 62 yo eye site I can see that Return Of the Creature in 2d looks mediocre. A quality dvd upsampled with my Oppo would look sharper. GRR.
Yeah... it's not a very good transfer and doesn't look much better than the last DVD set. I can't see a difference at all in the 2D transfer between the "bad" and "fixed" 3D discs. Its "need" factor is it's in OAR for a change.
I've lost count of how many times I've purchased "upgrades" of the Cheny Phantom. I currently own the Image blu (17542503) & the Eureka/MOC DVD. Is the BFI/Kino a major upgrade?
I have no idea as the BFI is the only BR version I own. I own a copy of the Image "Milestone" DVD release - it's pretty good. I researched whether to get the KINO or BFI BR settling on the BFI due to their inclusion of the 1925 in a HD transfer and lower price. Reviews as to which has the better BR presentation are somewhat mixed. BFI is a single transfer of the 1929 while KINO has both a 20fps and 24fps version. I'm past the point of caring about the frame rate on this one just as long as it looks natural. The score on the BFI is also fairly good (but I just don't understand why they don't record the original score instead of creating new ones - for any silent film - unless the original is lost, which may be the case here - I don't know).
Old 10-23-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Yeah... it's not a very good transfer and doesn't look much better than the last DVD set. I can't see a difference at all in the 2D transfer between the "bad" and "fixed" 3D discs. Its "need" factor is it's in OAR for a change.
Shouldn't be -- they're the exact same files. The only thing corrected was the encode and flags of those files from a SBS to Over/Under
Some people have said there is a significant difference in the Left Eye/Right presentation -- the std 2D is one eye, but if you're watching in 3D you can 'turn off 3D" and watch the opposite eye. Varying answers to mild improvement
to no difference from those that have done so.

By reports the German Koch BD of Creature Box actually used the Opposite Eye to do their 2D disc, but I've honestly not found anything definitive on people that have watched the Universal 2D vs Koch 2D side-by-side to see how different they look.
Old 10-23-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shouldn't be -- they're the exact same files. The only thing corrected was the encode and flags of those files from a SBS to Over/Under
Some people have said there is a significant difference in the Left Eye/Right presentation -- the std 2D is one eye, but if you're watching in 3D you can 'turn off 3D" and watch the opposite eye. Varying answers to mild improvement
to no difference from those that have done so.
I'd love to do that just to see. I have a 3D BR player but no 3D TV so the player won't even go into 3D mode to try.

When those replacements started coming in there was speculation they'd actually remastered the entire package properly so I check just to see although I didn't expect anything different as Universal had already said the transfer was "OK" and it was just the 3D encoding that needed to be corrected.

It actually does look a little better than the DVD (although that's subjective depending on your outlook and to me it's negligible). Sadly, it's just not the huge difference you see in the majority of the other BR Legacy films. When it comes right down to it I'm OK with the transfer as it's in OAR.
Old 10-23-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

I'll compare my dvd set with the blu. Uni hasn't written back as of yet. The 2d blu was pretty awful. Even the type was a little blurred. the other film on the disc looks fine. When I was Googling last night a couple of the hits said the 2d was also improved on the replacement disc.
Old 10-23-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll compare my dvd set with the blu. Uni hasn't written back as of yet. The 2d blu was pretty awful. Even the type was a little blurred. the other film on the disc looks fine. When I was Googling last night a couple of the hits said the 2d was also improved on the replacement disc.

Placebo effect maybe or wishful thinking. Most of the A/B trials have basically said no difference at all.
Again I think the 2D BD is better than the DVD, but damning with faint praise.

At some point if the German Koch and/or French Elephant are on sale I may take a chance.-- honestly out of curiosity more than anything else.
I wish they'd put out the original 3D Film Archives results -- though Bob Fum. is being diplomatic and legally very cautious in his responses on HTF and Blu-ray, I get the impression their group is pretty much extremely disappointed with what happened to their work
Old 10-23-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Placebo effect maybe or wishful thinking. Most of the A/B trials have basically said no difference at all.
Again I think the 2D BD is better than the DVD, but damning with faint praise.
Yep... absolutely...
At some point if the German Koch and/or French Elephant are on sale I may take a chance.-- honestly out of curiosity more than anything else.
I wish they'd put out the original 3D Film Archives results -- though Bob Fum. is being diplomatic and legally very cautious in his responses on HTF and Blu-ray, I get the impression their group is pretty much extremely disappointed with what happened to their work
I get that same impression and feel for them having their hard work mutilated.
Old 10-23-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just compared the Legacy DVD of Revenge with the blu. The Dvd is slightly sharper, but is full screen (sigh) where the blu is of course wide. I also for the heck of it tried 3d mode on my 2d player. I got two pictures, one on the left & one on the right. The one on the right had a sharper image.

I wrote Uni a second time, as someone above said some people had to write multiple times. I will contact Amazon tomorrow if Uni ghasn't written back. I am concerned that this issue will be very confusing to 3rd world cs. I also used an Amazon credit for payment, which may make it more confusing.
Old 10-23-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Second time was the charm:

"Thank you for sending us your shipping address and contact information.

We are continuously working on fulfilling these requests, so please allow 1-2 weeks to receive your replacement disc. Thank you for your patience.

Our goal is to always deliver the best possible product to our consumers. We hope that you will continue to enjoy this and future Universal releases.

Sincerely,
Consumer Relations
UNIVERSAL PICTURES HOME ENTERTAINMENT "

The irony is that the reason I had a credit to purchase this with is because UPS really messed up my last Amazon order & Amazon gave me a much larger than expected credit as an apology. The frustration is I literally spent over 8 hours on "chats" & the phone getting it resolved. The resolution was demanding that I be transferred to a USA based cs rep. They were all great. I have found that the reps in India are often poorly trained, & unfortunately their tend to be what I call "cultural points of reference" issues.
Old 10-23-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

+Not quite done yet until you check to see if you have the old or new disc despite the sticker.

Corrected Inner ring codes are
(1057486) 2110795R1 01E 030001
(1057487) 2110795R1 01E 020001

Original codes...
(1045535) 2092919R0 02E 010001
(1045536) 2092919R0 01E 010001

Can also check the file dates if you had a BDROM. the originals were June or July and corrected dates are dated 9/20.

Also from Paul H. - I'm not exactly sure how to get his discID codes, but maybe something like DVDProfiler
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=1272
Thanks, hariseldon. I have (1057487) 2110795R1 01E 020001 on the 2nd disc. What I also have is a big smudge and a partial fingerprint on the 2nd disc's playing surface, out of a brand new packaging. There's just no quality control anymore. Am sorry I do not have a BDROM
Old 10-23-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Thanks, hariseldon. I have (1057487) 2110795R1 01E 020001 on the 2nd disc. What I also have is a big smudge and a partial fingerprint on the 2nd disc's playing surface, out of a brand new packaging. There's just no quality control anymore. Am sorry I do not have a BDROM
Since that's likely the QC person's fingerprint I suspect you have evidence.

I suspect they opened all the old sets they got back from the retailers and manually repacked the disc then resealed them
Old 10-23-19, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Since that's likely the QC person's fingerprint I suspect you have evidence.

I suspect they opened all the old sets they got back from the retailers and manually repacked the disc then resealed them
sounds like just what they did. The whole thing leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Have not been a Uni fan since the time I purchased a new ''Breakfast Club' BD only to find no disc inside. Retailer asked me to contact Uni - a few unsuccessful emails and a couple of phone calls later, gave up. Besides the Creature set ranks the lowest for me personally in the legacy collection, got it just for completion. Thanks again for all the useful information - many of us here owe you for it
Old 10-24-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Really bad taste. Hopefully they'll come through with the replacements. A year after these were pulled off the market, the statement I received "We are continuously working on fulfilling these requests, so please allow 1-2 weeks to receive your replacement disc." seems a little wonky.

It's kind of like the massive amounts of either bootlegged or possibly repressed as low bit rate single layer "Thriller" box sets that were flooding the market last year. There's no way to know on those if you got a boot/low quality repress without checking the bit rate (which of course requires opening the box). Both "versions" had the same stickers on the outer box (& all the boots were sealed). AFAIK, no one ever found out if they were boots or low quality represses by Image. I've seen both & the packaging looks 100% identical.
Old 10-24-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Really bad taste. Hopefully they'll come through with the replacements. A year after these were pulled off the market, the statement I received "We are continuously working on fulfilling these requests, so please allow 1-2 weeks to receive your replacement disc." seems a little wonky.

It's kind of like the massive amounts of either bootlegged or possibly repressed as low bit rate single layer "Thriller" box sets that were flooding the market last year. There's no way to know on those if you got a boot/low quality repress without checking the bit rate (which of course requires opening the box). Both "versions" had the same stickers on the outer box (& all the boots were sealed). AFAIK, no one ever found out if they were boots or low quality represses by Image. I've seen both & the packaging looks 100% identical.
In general this is an Amazon specific issue at least still selling non stickered sets -- every other retailer sent theirs back and has only sold new sets so Universal seems to have little say.

Depending on how those stickered items with old discs inside happened is still to be determined. DId Universal pack and sticker those or is Amazon still to blame by stickering their items in order to sell the old stock -- Amazon: Oh Yes, corporate Universal, just send us
the new discs and stickers and we'll repack the set we already have for a small fee and save you the expense? Can I see Amazon doing it on their own -- absolutely and Universal gets all the blame since nobody knows the conversation
Old 10-24-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Amazon is to blame either way. Mine did not have a sticker. There are a lot of reviews on Amazon discussing this issue. At best, why didn't Amazon return them to Universal? Though I still find it hard to believe that at a year out, Universal is still "continuously working on fulfilling these requests".
Old 10-26-19, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The good news is I just got an email from Fed Ex that my Creature replacement should arrive this coming Wednesday. The bad news is signature required so I'm stuck at home until Fed Ex arrives on Wednesday.

The good news: I ordered the 8 film Hammer box from Amazon Thursday at 50% off. I forgot to select storage locker. A Chinese rep canceled it, he even gave me a $5 credit & reordered. Arrived today. The REALLY BAD news: The Chinese rep F'd up & I was charged twice & while order #1 was cancelled it obviously made it into the system incorrectly. Rep #3 said there would be a 10 day delay in refunding a cancelled order???. I guess I should be happy that Amazon basically stole their own money; they've made so many errors on my orders in the last month or so that I've gotten around $50 in courtesy credits (without asking). It still rubs me the wrong way. There usually is an instant refund. I also never got the usual cancellation email though it does show cancelled on the site. And yes, the money for both "orders" has been fully taken from my bank account (NOT a hold). I'll give them their week before I pitch a fit (& DEMAND) a USA based rep.
Old 10-26-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The good news is I just got an email from Fed Ex that my Creature replacement should arrive this coming Wednesday. The bad news is signature required so I'm stuck at home until Fed Ex arrives on Wednesday.

The good news: I ordered the 8 film Hammer box from Amazon Thursday at 50% off. I forgot to select storage locker. A Chinese rep canceled it, he even gave me a $5 credit & reordered. Arrived today. The REALLY BAD news: The Chinese rep F'd up & I was charged twice & while order #1 was cancelled it obviously made it into the system incorrectly. Rep #3 said there would be a 10 day delay in refunding a cancelled order???. I guess I should be happy that Amazon basically stole their own money; they've made so many errors on my orders in the last month or so that I've gotten around $50 in courtesy credits (without asking). It still rubs me the wrong way. There usually is an instant refund. I also never got the usual cancellation email though it does show cancelled on the site. And yes, the money for both "orders" has been fully taken from my bank account (NOT a hold). I'll give them their week before I pitch a fit (& DEMAND) a USA based rep.
Based on reports *all* "Creature" replacement discs shipped Fed-Ex with signature required. I know mine did (fortunately my wife was home to sign for it).
Old 10-26-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll just take Wednesday off from life & stay home! I did get my refund today (this always happens after a rant!). As I mentioned above, I've gotten somewhere between $40-$60 courtesy credits from Amazon this month (& I didn't discuss the creature issue with Amazon) ; but even being low income I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the headache & stress. Though the worst issue was UPS, not Amazon. I had to get Amazon involved in that one to get a resolution.
Old 10-26-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll just take Wednesday off from life & stay home! I did get my refund today (this always happens after a rant!). As I mentioned above, I've gotten somewhere between $40-$60 courtesy credits from Amazon this month (& I didn't discuss the creature issue with Amazon) ; but even being low income I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the headache & stress. Though the worst issue was UPS, not Amazon. I had to get Amazon involved in that one to get a resolution.
If you have free FedEx Delivery Mamager -- some packages allow ypu to sign remotely or change the package to a local access point pickup (walgreens or riteraids commonly)
Old 10-26-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you have free FedEx Delivery Mamager -- some packages allow ypu to sign remotely or change the package to a local access point pickup (walgreens or riteraids commonly)
Last package fed ex told me it only works on packages that don't require a signature. It's Walgreens here. Amazon has an exclusive on Rite Aid where I live (lol!)
Old 10-27-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

I don’t have 3D capabilities ... should I even care enough to put any effort into this?
Old 10-27-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're talking about Creature, I'll post my opinion after I get the replacement. I can say that of the 3 films, Revenge looked by far the worst in 2d. The other 2 were nice prints.
Old 10-27-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I don’t have 3D capabilities ... should I even care enough to put any effort into this?
Effort in getting the films for $10-15 -- yes if you don't have the original Creature already in the Essentials or one of the standalones. The original is classic, Walks is decent and looks great. Revenge is OK, but looks the worst.

Effort in exchanging bad disc for good -- if you have only 2D , no interest in every upgrading to 3D, and no reason to sell the set in the future I'd say no b/c the 2D is identical on both discs.

OTOH, why not get the corrected disc -- backup, insurance in case you sell the set, a gift or something to loan out at some point.
Old 10-27-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 582 Likes on 432 Posts

For what it’s worth, I ordered the box set as well and thankfully got the corrected codes. Picked it up my U.S. mailbox yesterday (and noted the sticker on the bottom) but couldn’t check the numbers until tonight, and after reading the last few posts in the meantime, I was a bit worried about that “gotta be home to sign for it” routine if I needed a replacement, and whether they’d even ship one to Canada for an order shipped within the U.S. Happy to dodge that one.
Old 10-28-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
3-D is more or less dead in the United States on home video, so if you don't care I wouldn't sweat it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.