Print Wikipost

Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts
Re: Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Still waiting for my "guaranteed" 1 day delivery. As far as I can tell, with Prime they don't offer anything if they miss the "guaranteed" 1 day delivery?
They offer you a 'refund' on your shipping fees. Very handy, when Prime delivery is free.
Old 10-20-19, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
They offer you a 'refund' on your shipping fees. Very handy, when Prime delivery is free.
I called & bitched, & they gave me a $5 credit. I actually got someone in the USA, too! It appears that is the policy ($5) , but you have to ask if it's a Prime order.
Old 10-20-19, 12:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bacigalup
All 6 Universal Legacy Collections are on sale (for a limited time according to Amazon) for $14.99 a pop:

Frankenstein

Dracula - Save an extra 45 cents when choosing free no rush shipping

The Wolf Man - Save an extra 57 cents when choosing free no rush shipping

The Mummy

The Invisible Man

The Creature From the Black Lagoon
Thanks for the heads up. I ordered a couple of these. I wish there wasn't so much overlap of titles in these sets. But I think that's been discussed here before.
Old 10-20-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

For anyone that ordered teh Creature Set recently -- there are now 2 separate reports of items with the 00022 sticker AND with the old disc packaged.
So if it's important, check the disc ID and/or file date or play it and see if it's corrected.
Old 10-20-19, 05:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Is the 00022 a sticker that went over the printed UPC?
Old 10-20-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by E Unit
Is the 00022 a sticker that went over the printed UPC?
Yes -- the add-on sticker has the regular UPC with the 00022 suffix at the end -- those were supposed to be the corrected sets, but now even that isn't cleam so it's back to checking the discs themselves.
2 or 3 of the Amazon deliveries now reported plus one from WOWHD UK
Old 10-20-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Ladies and Gentlemen....Pierre Delecto.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ashleyfei...50468499333120
And this has what to do with Amazon? Who is E Unit's secret DVD Talk account?
Old 10-20-19, 08:52 PM
Banned by request

Doh! I had posted it in the wrong forum. Promptly removing.
Old 10-20-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by bacigalup
All 6 Universal Legacy Collections are on sale (for a limited time according to Amazon) for $14.99 a pop:

Frankenstein

Dracula - Save an extra 45 cents when choosing free no rush shipping

The Wolf Man - Save an extra 57 cents when choosing free no rush shipping

The Mummy

The Invisible Man

The Creature From the Black Lagoon

These have always been a “those would be cool to have” but not a “I must have” for me ...

Is $90 for the whole run a good deal?
Old 10-20-19, 10:06 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

I'm feeling the same way. I'd like to have them to show my kids, I think they'd like them, but I don't see myself spending more than $50 and feeling great about it. Are these streaming anywhere?
Old 10-20-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
These have always been a “those would be cool to have” but not a “I must have” for me ...

Is $90 for the whole run a good deal?
Not unless you want the individual boxes.

The 30 Film Box was $70 last year and may be same or less soon again. Same 6 sets, plus the standalone Phantom of the Opera and a small Booklet in its own Slipbox but without the
individual slipcases.

I already had 4 boxes and the PotO movie so $30 for the last two was fine with me. The smaller Slipcases are a bit nicer than the larger slipbox.
Old 10-21-19, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection $69.99 @ Amazon

Deal of the day.

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection

Damn I know if I buy this it is going to drop even more.
But at this price I'm think I'm going to buy.

So after having the individual collections on sale for about the past week.
They kind of pull a FU. I did not buy any individual sets this year,but I have two from two years ago.

Last edited by JoeySeven; 10-21-19 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-21-19, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Not unless you want the individual boxes.

The 30 Film Box was $70 last year and may be same or less soon again. Same 6 sets, plus the standalone Phantom of the Opera and a small Booklet in its own Slipbox but without the
individual slipcases.

I already had 4 boxes and the PotO movie so $30 for the last two was fine with me. The smaller Slipcases are a bit nicer than the larger slipbox.
This was the same price October 22, 2018 also as a deal of the day.That was when I bought it.
Old 10-21-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
This was the same price October 22, 2018 also as a deal of the day.That was when I bought it.
Yes, that seemed to be a special deal for when the boxsets were reintroduced supposedly with the corrected discs AND a Halloween deal
Of course Amazon shipped a bunch of old sets and some new sets while other stores who PM shipped almost exclusively the new set.
There was 1 or 2 other times it dropped to the same price on Amazon and I swear there was a deal where it was cheaper, but I've yet to be able to find it.

But 90+ cost of Phantom of the Opera for the separates vs even $70 makes it a pretty easy choice IF you don't have any of them.

I think it might have been a little cheaper with the B&N 40% Christmas Sale, but I'm not sure it was in stock in December
$90 @40%off + 20-25% coupon is around $70, but if you were a member and combined the usual Nov. Gift cards discount deals then the net price might have been closer to $45-50 Out of pocket
Old 10-21-19, 08:25 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by story
I'm feeling the same way. I'd like to have them to show my kids, I think they'd like them, but I don't see myself spending more than $50 and feeling great about it. Are these streaming anywhere?
I grew up watching these on weekends, so I got them (a while back) to finally have them in my collection, and to show my kids. I showed them the original Dracula and Frankenstein, and they actually got into it.

I did check out JustWatch to see if any of the Universal Monsters Collection movies were available to stream, and it looks like they are not - at least for now. But if you like them, I highly suggest picking them up individually or the big set.
Old 10-21-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

Price drop on the MOTHRA steelbook - $11.89
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-21-19, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Price drop on the MOTHRA steelbook - $11.89
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R553MFM
Decent release.

https://www.doblu.com/2019/06/26/mothra-blu-ray-review/
Old 10-21-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Ironic this happened the day after I got 2 blu-boxes (Invisible Man & Creature) for $15 each. Oh well...........

BTW, I learned something: for those who use Amazon lockers, if you choose a Rite Aid locker you get a 50% off 10 or more coupon from Rite Aid (you have to ask for it when you pick up the package). And they stack! Mind you Rite aid is so expensive that half off litterally just makes them competitive on some items but still....
Old 10-21-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
But 90+ cost of Phantom of the Opera for the separates vs even $70 makes it a pretty easy choice IF you don't have any of them.
Looks like I'm going to be keeping my UK essentials box for Phantom..........
Old 10-22-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Looks like I'm going to be keeping my UK essentials box for Phantom..........
That's exactly what I did. I purchased the UK Essentials set before those BR Legacy editions were announced (and for a song at that). Because I love those movies I purchased the individual sets as they were released. Having the UK Essentials set I just couldn't justify picking up the stand-alone of the rather lacking 1943 Phantom... to put with the others. I purchased the BFI version of the 1929/1925 Phantom... with Lon Chaney and am considering putting the 1943 BR in the case with it to make the "Legacy Edition" Universal *should* have done.

The BFI BR of Phantom... is fairly inexpensive at deepdiscount but on BO right now. I opted for that version as the BR is region free and the price is about half that of the KINO release. The BFI print is quite good with slightly different "special features" than the KINO - mainly a HD version of the 1925 version making it the better choice - at least for me. It also has a very nice booklet with a long essay on the film and includes a PAL DVD version of the whole package and a PAL DVD of the "Lon Chaney: Man Of A Thousand Faces" documentary from TCM and Kevin Brownlow.
Old 10-22-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Got the Creature and Invisible Man sets today. Surprised they didn't throw them in a bubble envelope, was neatly packaged in a cardboard box. Creature UPC is 0022. This completes my Legacy collection. No more double dipping
Old 10-22-19, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's exactly what I did. I purchased the UK Essentials set before those BR Legacy editions were announced (and for a song at that). Because I love those movies I purchased the individual sets as they were released. Having the UK Essentials set I just couldn't justify picking up the stand-alone of the rather lacking 1943 Phantom... to put with the others. I purchased the BFI version of the 1929/1925 Phantom... with Lon Chaney and am considering putting the 1943 BR in the case with it to make the "Legacy Edition" Universal *should* have done.

The BFI BR of Phantom... is fairly inexpensive at deepdiscount but on BO right now. I opted for that version as the BR is region free and the price is about half that of the KINO release. The BFI print is quite good with slightly different "special features" than the KINO - mainly a HD version of the 1925 version making it the better choice - at least for me. It also has a very nice booklet with a long essay on the film and includes a PAL DVD version of the whole package and a PAL DVD of the "Lon Chaney: Man Of A Thousand Faces" documentary from TCM and Kevin Brownlow.
I've lost count of how many times I've purchased "upgrades" of the Cheny Phantom. I currently own the Image blu (17542503) & the Eureka/MOC DVD. Is the BFI/Kino a major upgrade?
Old 10-22-19, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

So I’ve never seen any of the Universal Monster flicks and have some interest in checking them out. I’d probably only buy one, maybe two sets. I realize they’re all categorized by character, but is any one set of films better/more accessible? Kinda leaning towards Dracula. Possibly Frankenstein or Wolf Man.
Old 10-22-19, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
So I’ve never seen any of the Universal Monster flicks and have some interest in checking them out. I’d probably only buy one, maybe two sets. I realize they’re all categorized by character, but is any one set of films better/more accessible? Kinda leaning towards Dracula. Possibly Frankenstein or Wolf Man.
My vote would be start with Dracula & either The Mummy or Frankenstein. There is a 2 film duplication between Drac & Frank. Dracula is a must. The main film with Lugosi is a HUGE upgrade from all previous versions, including the Legacy dvd box.
Old 10-28-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW, I don't remember if I mentioned this before: If you have a Rite-Aid with an Amazon storage locker, use it & you get a $5 off $10 coupon with each pickup (you do have to ask). And the coupons are stackable. Too bad Rite Aid is really overpriced already, but it may be of use.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.