Last edit by: Trevor
Print Wikipost

Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Old 09-23-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Originally Posted by Meathead
Amazon has Friends - The Complete Series on Bluray for $54.49 today (Deal of the Day). The DVDs are $49.49

Between that sale and the VUDU sale on the complete series you can get both the blus and digital copies for $99.48.
Go with the DVDs, as they are the extended episodes. The Blus are the broadcast eps.
Old 09-23-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,485 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Go with the DVDs, as they are the extended episodes. The Blus are the broadcast eps.
Oh, I didn't even realize that. Which does vudu have?
Old 09-23-19, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Oh, I didn't even realize that. Which does vudu have?
Broadcast. All of the remastered HD versions are broadcast.
Old 09-23-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,627 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Rambo 2008 is only $12 right now for the 4K UHD disc. I went ahead and got it to upgrade my old 2008 BD.

It includes the extended and theatrical cuts.
Old 09-23-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 414 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Already had both the DVD and Blu sets. Picked up the Complete DVD set at BJ's a few years back for $30. Grabbed the VUDU version to replace it going away on Netflix.
Old 09-23-19, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
Amazon has Friends - The Complete Series on Bluray for $54.49 today (Deal of the Day). The DVDs are $49.49

Between that sale and the VUDU sale on the complete series you can get both the blus and digital copies for $99.48.
They stopped selling the blu rays early. The were out of stock but available to order this morning. Now they are not available from Amazon. Only 3rd parties. DVDs still can be ordered. I am sure Amazon will resume selling tomorrow when the price goes up.
Old 09-24-19, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Fortitude series has been pretty cheap. Pretty slick series that's been undervalued, imo.
Old 10-14-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

For anyone that doesn’t have it the Scream Factory edition of The Thing is showing up for $10.39 on Amazon currently. It’s listed as temporarily out of stock but still a good deal.
Old 10-14-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
For anyone that doesn’t have it the Scream Factory edition of The Thing is showing up for $10.39 on Amazon currently. It’s listed as temporarily out of stock but still a good deal.
It's the older, inferior 2K film scan. Scream Factory in a later steelbook release used the superior 4K film scan. So if extras are your main priority, it's a great deal.
Old 10-17-19, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

All 6 Universal Legacy Collections are on sale (for a limited time according to Amazon) for $14.99 a pop:

Frankenstein Frankenstein

Dracula Dracula
- Save an extra 45 cents when choosing free no rush shipping

The Wolf Man The Wolf Man
- Save an extra 57 cents when choosing free no rush shipping

The Mummy The Mummy

The Invisible Man The Invisible Man

The Creature From the Black Lagoon The Creature From the Black Lagoon

Last edited by bacigalup; 10-17-19 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-17-19, 01:40 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Thank you. Needed Invisible Man and Creature sets. Had been waiting for this price. Purchased with credit card points with slow shipping option for $1 digital credit
Old 10-17-19, 02:51 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

With the exception of the remake of the Phantom of the Opera with Nelson Eddy, that is everything in the 30 film Universal box set.
Old 10-17-19, 06:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yep, but a lot of us already picked up the prior sets, so no used in getting that at this point. I went ahead and picked up the Invisible Man and Creature sets as well to complete my sets.
Old 10-18-19, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Wasn't there something "wrong" with a couple of the blu boxes (I have Frank, Mummy & Wolf; they all seem fine)? I have the other 3 on dvd (I have all of Drac in blu except Daughter between Frank & the UK essentials box).
Old 10-18-19, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection is $17.99 blu-ray

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I048O8W/?coliid=IK9MBTLNEPGIQ&colid=1DTAFOYC74E51&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I048O8W/?coliid=IK9MBTLNEPGIQ&colid=1DTAFOYC74E51&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 10-18-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Wasn't there something "wrong" with a couple of the blu boxes (I have Frank, Mummy & Wolf; they all seem fine)? I have the other 3 on dvd (I have all of Drac in blu except Daughter between Frank & the UK essentials box).
I know that the "Creature" set had a problem with the 3D version of "Revenge of the Creature", but I believe a replacement disc was issued and the set corrected.
Old 10-18-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I know that the "Creature" set had a problem with the 3D version of "Revenge of the Creature", but I believe a replacement disc was issued and the set corrected.
Yes, that was the main issue - it's been corrected and what's shipping *new* from reliable vendors should be the corrected version. If you're not 3D it's really not all that significant as they did not remaster the regular version of "Revenge..." and it still looks a bit soft - at least it's WS anamorphic. I got an early "bad" copy so had the original disc to compare the regular versions on the 2 discs (I'm not 3D so that wasn't an issue for me - at least for now).

Other than the normal gripes from duplicate titles if you get 'em all I don't recall any other issues reported.
Old 10-18-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ordered Creature & Invisible Man, thanks!
Old 10-18-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Yes, that was the main issue - it's been corrected and what's shipping *new* from reliable vendors should be the corrected version. If you're not 3D it's really not all that significant as they did not remaster the regular version of "Revenge..." and it still looks a bit soft - at least it's WS anamorphic. I got an early "bad" copy so had the original disc to compare the regular versions on the 2 discs (I'm not 3D so that wasn't an issue for me - at least for now).

Other than the normal gripes from duplicate titles if you get 'em all I don't recall any other issues reported.

The "reliable vendor" is the issue here since Amazon has been by far the main culprit in still shipping out the old uncorrected boxsets. Every time they've run a sale on these since they finally relisted theirs (months after Deep Discount, B&N, etc), it's happened that some of them were the corrected sets and some are still the originals. There's just no way to tell until it's in your hands which version they'll pull. Every other retailer apparently sent their sets back, Amazon seems to just have stashed theirs (or took all the returned sets) and figured their customers would never know the difference.
I PM to BBY for the Creature and Invisible Man sets to finish my collection.
Old 10-19-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hariseldon
The "reliable vendor" is the issue here since Amazon has been by far the main culprit in still shipping out the old uncorrected boxsets. Every time they've run a sale on these since they finally relisted theirs (months after Deep Discount, B&N, etc), it's happened that some of them were the corrected sets and some are still the originals. There's just no way to tell until it's in your hands which version they'll pull. Every other retailer apparently sent their sets back, Amazon seems to just have stashed theirs (or took all the returned sets) and figured their customers would never know the difference.
I PM to BBY for the Creature and Invisible Man sets to finish my collection.
Can you even trust those Amazon reviews? I only found a couple with an incorrect disc issue after the replacement became available. It's difficult to know if they truly purchased from Amazon or if it was a MP vendor "Fulfilled by Amazon" order. Most customers there seem pretty clueless when it comes to knowing just who they purchased from. Even so, at least Amazon will stand behind the purchase and replace it if the wrong version is delivered.
Old 10-19-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

It’s hard to trust Amazon for reviews for movies as they oftentimes combine versions (DVD, Blu-ray, etc.). Unless the reviewer refers specifically to the version they have/received.
Old 10-19-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Can you even trust those Amazon reviews? I only found a couple with an incorrect disc issue after the replacement became available. It's difficult to know if they truly purchased from Amazon or if it was a MP vendor "Fulfilled by Amazon" order. Most customers there seem pretty clueless when it comes to knowing just who they purchased from. Even so, at least Amazon will stand behind the purchase and replace it if the wrong version is delivered.
i'm not -- I don't trust them so much I rarely ever read them. Between the mixing of reviews of different formats, releases, and even completely different products, plus the high rate of USer Incompetence errors I find them worthless

I'm relying on a dozen of more Bluray.com and HTF members who have ordered and received the uncorrected items (both Individual and 30 Film boxsets) in the past. A couple of International people are having an awful time since Amazon doesn't understand and Universal wont' send the replacement disc overseas. Last person was within the last 6 weeks. With their sale in Feb (??March) right after they relisted the items there were quite a few people who received the old product including one person who I think tried to replace it 3 time, explaining the problem, being told specifically they'd make sure the UPC was corrected (nobody believed that obvious lie), and still got old boxsets.

So far with this specific sale I've read 2 or 3 people who have received the corrected sets, but small sample so far.
Old 10-19-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hariseldon
i'm not -- I don't trust them so much I rarely ever read them. Between the mixing of reviews of different formats, releases, and even completely different products, plus the high rate of USer Incompetence errors I find them worthless

I'm relying on a dozen of more Bluray.com and HTF members who have ordered and received the uncorrected items (both Individual and 30 Film boxsets) in the past. A couple of International people are having an awful time since Amazon doesn't understand and Universal wont' send the replacement disc overseas. Last person was within the last 6 weeks. With their sale in Feb (??March) right after they relisted the items there were quite a few people who received the old product including one person who I think tried to replace it 3 time, explaining the problem, being told specifically they'd make sure the UPC was corrected (nobody believed that obvious lie), and still got old boxsets.

So far with this specific sale I've read 2 or 3 people who have received the corrected sets, but small sample so far.
That, I can believe. Amazon's CS is pretty pathetic on the best days and will promise just about anything to placate an irate customer. I've dealt with US shipments of incorrect product (with a promise a UPC would be checked - riiiight - and I got the wrong one a 2nd time - not "Creature..." but another title with version issues). I'd hate to have to deal with them on an overseas transaction getting defective/incorrect media replaced (I worry about that regularly as a customer of Amazon UK who orders R2 DVDs and region free BRs).

I can also somewhat understand Universal not being willing to send an overseas replacement (likely has to do with licensing) but would like to think they would do so if that customer was willing to pay shipping charges (and I'd bet most would to get the proper disc). Of course you're dealing with CS people who won't or can't deviate from a script.
Old 10-19-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ordered Creature & Invisible Man, thanks!
Still waiting for my "guaranteed" 1 day delivery. As far as I can tell, with Prime they don't offer anything if they miss the "guaranteed" 1 day delivery?
Old 10-19-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That, I can believe. Amazon's CS is pretty pathetic on the best days and will promise just about anything to placate an irate customer. I've dealt with US shipments of incorrect product (with a promise a UPC would be checked - riiiight - and I got the wrong one a 2nd time - not "Creature..." but another title with version issues). I'd hate to have to deal with them on an overseas transaction getting defective/incorrect media replaced (I worry about that regularly as a customer of Amazon UK who orders R2 DVDs and region free BRs).

I can also somewhat understand Universal not being willing to send an overseas replacement (likely has to do with licensing) but would like to think they would do so if that customer was willing to pay shipping charges (and I'd bet most would to get the proper disc). Of course you're dealing with CS people who won't or can't deviate from a script.
As far as placating, that appears to be Amazon US only these days.

I had an AWFUL experience with Amazon.UK on 2 Hitchcock boxes recently, & didn't even get an apology.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.