DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Print Wikipost

Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Old 07-16-19, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Weak Prime day imo. I ended up with a Posies CD, 1 Sea Wolf WAC blu-ray & a 128 GB Corair Flash Drive. I wouldn't have bought anything, but I had $25 in promotional credits.

Some good Kindle prices, but some scary reviews regarding reliability of the last 2 "generations".

Since the DVD Amazon section seems to be removed, I'll mention that the best deal I saw was: When World's Collide DVD for $4.99. I already have the official UK Pal or I would have grabbed that.
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-16-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,176 Likes on 916 Posts

I havenít really found Prime Day to be that good since they started it. My sole purchase is the Criterion Blu-ray of I Wanna Hold Your Hand. Figure Iíll just get it from Amazon since I donít have a Barnes & Noble locally and donít have other Criterion releases I want to make an online order worth it.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-16-19 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I havenít really found Prime Day to be that good since they started it.
The first year was a total joke. It was like they have warehouse endcaps like Target and the only thing for sale was shit no one wanted to begin with. I think they've realized in the two years since what a laughing stock it's become. They've had some decent deals, even if I'm not interested in them.
Old 07-16-19, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

'In The Heat of the Night' (Criterion Collection) and 'Raisin in The Sun' (Criterion Collection) for $34.11 with 20% off Prime Day discount and $5 GC (from $25 Prime Day GC offer)

Am done finally after swearing to sit this one out
Old 07-17-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

I picked up a lot more this Prime Day than I thought I would...the extra 20 percent off of select 4K titles allowed me to complete some holes in my collection for under $15 (and a few under $10) a title. I also nabbed Serenity in 4K as a lightning deal. Wound up buying 10 titles overall.
Old 07-17-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, I spent more on Vudu (Mix and Match TV Seasons) and Warner Archive ($44 for 4) than Amazon. The only thing I grabbed from Amazon on Prime Day(s) was Mortal Engines in 4k off a lightening deal. And the only reason I did that was the $10 Whole Foods Credit I had and I figured at worst I was only out $3 and some change.
Old 07-17-19, 11:15 AM

Immensely better deals were to be had on Amazon's UK site this Prime Day. With 30% off several BD and 4K titles + an Audible promotion that combined with it + VAT coming off the pre-discounted price, there were some phenomenal deals to be had. I picked up 'Blue Planet II + Planet Earth II' 4k, 'Deer Hunter' 4K (2 Disc) and 'The James Bond 24 film collection' BD all for about $60 shipped. Had to restrain myself from splurging. If the Bond set gets here before 7/31 and I can get the UV codes to work, it will be a sweet bonus. The Blue Planet + Planet Earth 4K set also contains BDs as opposed to the US set which only contains the 4K discs

EDIT: ^ to be noted that those prices were after signing up for a trial U.K Prime promotion

Amazon Germany and France barely seemed to have deals compared to what the UK site offered.

The 20% off several Criterion multi-disc sets on the US site presented awesome deals specially the Bergman set, Apu Trilogy, Qatsi trilogy, Before Trilogy for e.g

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 07-17-19 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-17-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

^I thought too late to check Amazon UK... by the time I remembered it was over on that site. It's just as well... I have far too much unopened product to watch and spent quite a bit on board game stuff from sites apparently competing with Amazon (who made it incredibly hard to find board game bargains this time - OK... every time... but it just seemed worse this time around).

I purchased 2 BR sets:

Star Trek: Discovery S1 BR as it was $17 one morning after all the discounts. That's low enough for a series I don't much like but "need" to complete the Trek collection.

Lost In Space S1 BR - simply because I really like the original and this one has some good reviews. It was $20 after discounts.

Surprisingly, they had some good prices on other DVD/BR sets - things I already own in different configurations or don't like well enough to purchase a complete series set for.
Old 07-17-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

As usual -- my grand Prime Day purchases $25 GC with $5 bonus for my account and my wife;s account.

I thought about the Jack Ryan box a few times, but that was really about the only thing I came close to buying.
Everything else I had, had already been a lower price elsewhere, or will be soon enough.
Old 07-17-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 667 Likes on 484 Posts

Space 1999 Complete series BR for $80.29 with a $16.06 auto coupon at checkout - $64.23 final pre tax price.

They're price matching Target's price and current 20% off select TV/Movies promotion. Get it at Target for an extra 5% off if you use a REDcard.
Old 07-17-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
Immensely better deals were to be had on Amazon's UK site this Prime Day. With 30% off several BD and 4K titles + an Audible promotion that combined with it + VAT coming off the pre-discounted price, there were some phenomenal deals to be had. I picked up 'Blue Planet II + Planet Earth II' 4k, 'Deer Hunter' 4K (2 Disc) and 'The James Bond 24 film collection' BD all for about $60 shipped. Had to restrain myself from splurging. If the Bond set gets here before 7/31 and I can get the UV codes to work, it will be a sweet bonus. The Blue Planet + Planet Earth 4K set also contains BDs as opposed to the US set which only contains the 4K discs

EDIT: ^ to be noted that those prices were after signing up for a trial U.K Prime promotion

Amazon Germany and France barely seemed to have deals compared to what the UK site offered.

The 20% off several Criterion multi-disc sets on the US site presented awesome deals specially the Bergman set, Apu Trilogy, Qatsi trilogy, Before Trilogy for e.g
I got the Bergman blu box from Amazon on release day for about $130 including sales tax; so I don't feel bad about missing $120 before tax; but I agree that was a screaming deal. I'm still only on disc 20 on my box & that's with skipping almost all of the documentaries! I am watching many films I've seen before; but the restorations have been excellent.
Old 07-18-19, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Weak Prime day imo. I ended up with a Posies CD, 1 Sea Wolf WAC blu-ray & a 128 GB Corair Flash Drive. I wouldn't have bought anything, but I had $25 in promotional credits.

Some good Kindle prices, but some scary reviews regarding reliability of the last 2 "generations".

Since the DVD Amazon section seems to be removed, I'll mention that the best deal I saw was: When World's Collide DVD for $4.99. I already have the official UK Pal or I would have grabbed that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PVD2MC?psc=1&pf_rd_p=a6e31766-67e4-4449-96d4-28b1be8c8114&pf_rd_r=4KC58AZK76B3H5MAE04P&pd_rd_wg=ZqxBp&pd_rd_i=B074PVD2MC&pd_rd_w=B5vm1&pd_rd_r=927019d3-9602-4d56-9f09-17ab2ea25f2c&ref_=pd_luc_rh_crh_rh_bxgy_02_02_t_img_lh
I have got to start checking my blu's before making purchases. I already had Sea Wolf, which I discovered right after opening the new one........... It's now on ebay at what will likely be a loss after postage, ebay & Paypal fees & the sales tax I paid.
Old 07-18-19, 08:35 PM

I have got to start checking my blu's before making purchases. I already had Sea Wolf, which I discovered right after opening the new one........... It's now on ebay at what will likely be a loss after postage, ebay & Paypal fees & the sales tax I paid.
Catalog your collection on Blu-ray.com for free. Sync it with the free 'My Movies' app on your phone. From then on, just type in your title on the app and it will tell you if you have it in your collection. On the site, a green indicator under the title image will tell you that you own it
Old 07-18-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Catalog your collection on Blu-ray.com for free. Sync it with the free 'My Movies' app on your phone. From then on, just type in your title on the app and it will tell you if you have it in your collection. On the site, a green indicator under the title image will tell you that you own it
I have an Excel sheet. I just need to use it............. Before blu's I knew if I had a film or not. NowI need to know what format I have it in! I forgot that I'd already replaced my TCM cap with a WAC blu.
Old 07-18-19, 10:57 PM

I have an Excel sheet. I just need to use it............. Before blu's I knew if I had a film or not. NowI need to know what format I have it in! I forgot that I'd already replaced my TCM cap with a WAC blu.
you can catalog DVDs on bluray.com too and search the same way under the appropriate 'DVD' tab. Just that the mobile app doesn't sync DVD info (only BD, 3D BD, 4K UHD)
Old 07-18-19, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Just that the mobile app doesn't sync DVD info (only BD, 3D BD, 4K UHD)
Sure it does, you just have to enable DVDs in the settings.
Old 07-18-19, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by randian

Sure it does, you just have to enable DVDs in the settings.
Thank you, stand corrected. Hadn't explored beyond default settings.
Old 07-19-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 134 Likes on 108 Posts

Deal of the day
Batman Complete Animated Series Blu + Digital HD
​​​​​
​​​​​​$43.99
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-Animated-BD-Blu-ray/dp/B07J33MNCV/
Old 07-19-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

That bluray app on my phone is a life saver. I have been cataloging all of my newer purchases and I'm still working through older buys. I have all of my Criterions cataloged in a special Criterion category and it allows me to see what I own, my last purchases, etc. I even put in the purchase info: where it was bought, when it was purchased and how much the final cost was. I love having that app. It even shows the thumbs of the covers. Makes it easier to discuss movies with others and helps prevent purchasing the same title twice, which I have done in the past.
Old 07-19-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

I use the DVD Profiler mobile app. I sync my pc db with the online db which then downloads to the mobile db. I'm sure the blu-ray.com app works great, but I have so many movies, it would take forever.
Old 07-20-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They are both great apps. I remember using dvd aficionado years ago but not sure if it is even still around.
Old 07-20-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
They are both great apps. I remember using dvd aficionado years ago but not sure if it is even still around.

I think it just recently announced it was shutting down
Old 07-20-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like it has been taken into Film Aficionado. Nice to see it not wiped off the map.
Old 07-20-19, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

Received 733 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I use the DVD Profiler mobile app. I sync my pc db with the online db which then downloads to the mobile db. I'm sure the blu-ray.com app works great, but I have so many movies, it would take forever.
You can export from DVD Profiler and input that into the Blu-ray.com tracker. It's not too time consuming or painful. I did it once, but still ended up sticking with the DVD Profiler software.
Old 07-20-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just checked the threads -- filmaf adn dvdaf were actually slated to shut down June 20 with much gnashing of teeth Bluray.com and HTF members. I never saw the followup, but in late May a member from DVDCompare saved the site apparently. At least for now it is still active.

"ANNOUNCEMENT: The rumors of our demise have been greatly exaggerated -- well kind of. I’m happy to inform you that Samuel from DVDCompare has graciously agreed to take over FilmAf. We are working on the transition details, but there should be no interruption of service. Long live FilmAf! Long live DVDCompare!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.