DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Pretty good movie. Underrate, imo.
Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Underrated? It won best picture.
Yeah, I meant something else. Under-known.
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's not it either. It opened in 3,000+ theaters.

Old 03-20-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Saw this noted in the social mediums somewhere. Not sure if it’s been lower, or if it’s even a good deal, but for those interested:

WARLOCK COLLECTION - $18.24
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-21-19, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Wishmaster Collection as well. Thanks. Might be more titles. Anything over 35% off is good, imo. Over 50% off is a score.
Old 03-25-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Bought these on the date of my post and of course the package is delayed due to a shipper issue. ONTRAC, the infamous Amazon shipper.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-25-19 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-25-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Bought these on the date of my post and of course the package is delayed due to a shipper issue. ONTRAC, the infamous Amazon shipper.
All of the shippers are bad in my experience. At least Fed Ex seems to be willing to work with the customer IF there is no signature required. If you can get through, some USPS offices will also (It really varies region by region in my experience). One can also pay USPS blackmail pricing for a po box (which some shippers will not send to...). UPS charges $8 per package to do anything, & Ontrac makes a lt of errors & has no phone support that I've been able to find.

With B&M stores all but dead, I would really like to see the big companies (Amazon, etc) allow customers to choose their carrier. Amazon's locker is the safest way for Amazon customers, though it's a bit of a pain, depending on how long of a drive that entails.

IMO, the biggest problem is caused by the drastically increased homelessness & criminal activity: "porch pirates". I feel like I have to be home for any package delivery or I will likely never receive the package.

I never ran into this issue until the last couple years.
Old 03-26-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
One can also pay USPS blackmail pricing for a po box (which some shippers will not send to...)
Don't know if this was an initiative across all USPS outlets or just mine, or the particular state it resides in -- which admittedly is in a border city with a LOT of cross-border online shoppers like me -- but about two years ago, USPS altered the address of the mall-based postal outlet that I use so it no longer has "P.O. Box" anywhere in it, presumably because they knew about this issue. Instead, it has the MALL's address, then a "unit" number which is my box, like this:

1234 Main Street (mall street address)
USPS Unit 123456 (my box)
Town, State,
ETC

Since that change, I've had no issues from retailers who don't ship to P.O. boxes. Might be worth checking to see if your local branches offer this.

I agree that USPS box rentals are kinda steep, but I order enough stuff annually that the box cost is more than offset by the savings versus shipping to Canada or buying here.
Old 03-26-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
I agree that USPS box rentals are kinda steep, but I order enough stuff annually that the box cost is more than offset by the savings versus shipping to Canada or buying here.
PO Box might be steep, but compared to UPSStore or Private Address alternatives it's a steal -- last I looked those were well over $200 yearly.
I know a lot of Cross Border Post Offices next to states that have no sales tax do a Booming Business in renting PO Boxes. If I lived in Vancouver or some place like St Catherines, ON I'd certainly consider doing such a thing

I don;t think all Post Office allow the street addressing officially, but most accept it. My Main Post Office does, but the smaller one says they don't though the Main Person there said it was fine with her -- teeny tiny office in tiny town (1 stop light, technically less than 500 though lots of rural houses that don;t count as in town) and she's the only one there 90% of the time. She pretty much recognizes the name of all her customers and if something isn't quite addressed right, she knows on the spot to fix it (Old school Post Office in a lot of ways).
My PO Box there is around $45 yearly and I've had FedEx and UPS packages sent there without problem. I just rent the smallest Box since she keep all the packages behind the counter anyway and I like
talking with her. Tiny PO almost never has a line of more than 1 so makes it quick and easy compensates for the extra 10 miles driving round trip

At the Main PO, the small PO Boxes are about double the price so I like the small PO even though it's
a bit further away. I only go there once every couple weeks unless I know I have something incoming
Old 03-26-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I probably shouldn't complain too much about the USPS box fees. I actually split them with a friend of mine, and technically there's three (sometimes four) of us able to send stuff to the box. We rent a small box, too, since most of our parcels are large enough to be put into the big storage lockers they offer, so we can let them accumulate between visits. It's not a bad deal really, but the rates did go up a bit more than I expected in the last year or so. That's still nothing compared with the savings of cross-border shopping. On the other hand, just having that box certainly makes it hard to stop cross-border shopping!
Old 03-26-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I used to have a box at the UPS store in the US (I'm in a Canadian border town too) and it was around $12 a month (I started with them when they used to be a Mail Boxes Etc., UPS bought them out but they grandfathered me in at the old rate). Then several years later they wanted to nearly triple that amount out of the blue and I said "See ya!". Now I get stuff sent to my office in the US instead, but it's nice to know that hopefully USPS has changed how their boxes are addressed, so that if I want to get one of their boxes in the future, I can still get UPS and Fed Ex packages sent there. Sorry for the thread derail!
Old 03-26-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
All of the shippers are bad in my experience. At least Fed Ex seems to be willing to work with the customer IF there is no signature required. If you can get through, some USPS offices will also (It really varies region by region in my experience). One can also pay USPS blackmail pricing for a po box (which some shippers will not send to...). UPS charges $8 per package to do anything, & Ontrac makes a lt of errors & has no phone support that I've been able to find.

With B&M stores all but dead, I would really like to see the big companies (Amazon, etc) allow customers to choose their carrier. Amazon's locker is the safest way for Amazon customers, though it's a bit of a pain, depending on how long of a drive that entails.

IMO, the biggest problem is caused by the drastically increased homelessness & criminal activity: "porch pirates". I feel like I have to be home for any package delivery or I will likely never receive the package.

I never ran into this issue until the last couple years.
Not sure if Amazon hear's our pleas for shippers, but I saw a flatbed truck with two Sprinter vehicles with Amazon Prime on the sides over the weekend, seemingly being delivered. Maybe something is coming.
Old 04-14-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matching Best Buy:

Mission: Impossible - Fallout $9.99

I suppose it might get cheaper when Black Friday rolls around.
Old 04-16-19, 11:47 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard
Matching Best Buy:

Mission: Impossible - Fallout $9.99

I suppose it might get cheaper when Black Friday rolls around.
Thanks. However, "ships in 1 to 3 weeks" at Amazon. I could get it immediately from Best Buy.
Old 04-16-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Same price at Target too. That's where I picked it up, and was lucky enough that it also included the mini book from the first pressing.
Old 04-20-19, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveA
Thanks. However, "ships in 1 to 3 weeks" at Amazon. I could get it immediately from Best Buy.
The one I ordered shipped yesterday, so they may have received new stock. I find that those estimates of delays are usually overly conservative. (I always choose slow shipping so that I can get the $1 digital credit, which is valuable to me, and so that Amazon can put together orders for shipping efficiency — I consider two day shipping wasteful.)
Old 04-20-19, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could get the digital credit. I could wait for delivery and get $1 off Kindle books or music but I'm always offered the $5 Pantry credit which is of no value to me.
Old 04-21-19, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasDVDer
I wish I could get the digital credit. I could wait for delivery and get $1 off Kindle books or music but I'm always offered the $5 Pantry credit which is of no value to me.
Generally, you have to take one of the pantry credits (even if you end up throwing it away like I do), and then they'll start offering the credit instead....
Old 04-21-19, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-01-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

All the Colors of the Dark (BD/CD) - $12.66 -
Amazon Amazon

Old 05-01-19, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Blu-ray pre-order is up for $12. It is getting a 4K release as well.
Old 05-05-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Jesse Stone: Triple Film Collection Volume One Blu-ray
$18.99
By far the best price I have seen.

It is an Australian release, but it is region-free.
Old 05-05-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Arrow's 2-disc Special Edition (Blu-ray/DVD) of "Brain Damage" is $10.99. Region A.
https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Damage-Blu-ray/dp/B06WLQQQB2?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-032-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B06WLQQQB2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Damage-Blu-ray/dp/B06WLQQQB2?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluray-032-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B06WLQQQB2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 05-05-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

They're matching Best Buy's price, FWIW. Best Buy has a mini-Arrow sale going right now (including The Hills Have Eyes and Massacre Gun for $10.99).
Old 05-05-19, 05:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Lot of good Arrow titles being matched on Amazon including New Battles Without Honor & Humanity for $28.99. Temporarily out of stock, but you can still order it.
Old 05-21-19, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 6-Film Collection (Blu-Ray) is down to $29.99. Seems like a new low according to Camel3.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Brian T; 05-21-19 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 6-Film Collection (Blu-Ray) is down to $29.99. Seems like a new low according to Camel3.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FDVCMMT

That’s really tempting. I don’t own any of them and basically $5 a piece. Might have to order that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.