Last edit by: Trevor
Print Wikipost

Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-19, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

They pulled the Kino Ida Lupino Filmmaker box from the sale, kept it at the discounted price of $38. 80 then added a $6.47 coupon. If it wasn't for the sales tax, I would bite; but the tax blows the deal.

Black Friday is coming soon; & there are still a few net retailers that don't charge tax.

I just discovered that the entire out of state seller net tax issue is on Washington's Monday ballot; unfortunately only in an advisory nature. I suspect you already know how I voted. The vote is asking if the citizens believe the state legislature made the correct decision with forcing out of state retailers to charge tax to Wa state residents.

Because it's "advisory" only, it hasn't drawn much buzz

Another FYI: If you haven't heard yet, the deal to keep the USA in the world postal system which goes into effect in June 2020 is going to cause numerous countries to raise postal rates to ship to the USA. The USA threatened to withdraw from the international postal group if this didn't occur.

It sounds like between now & June is THE last time to get those imports from European retailers at a decent price. If they have to match what we charge their countries for shipping, postage for 1 dvd from the UK to the USA could easily be $15+ just for shipping. What's left of my net music & film business has had no international sales in years because of the HUGE postage costs. Even shipping to Canada has become prohibitively expensive.
Old 11-02-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
It sounds like between now & June is THE last time to get those imports from European retailers at a decent price. If they have to match what we charge their countries for shipping, postage for 1 dvd from the UK to the USA could easily be $15+ just for shipping. What's left of my net music & film business has had no international sales in years because of the HUGE postage costs. Even shipping to Canada has become prohibitively expensive.
Not sure if this is related, but I noticed a couple of months back that shipping from Amazon UK to my Canadian address suddenly became two to five times more expensive than shipping to my US addresses. A couple of Amazon DE orders would’ve been about three times higher shipping rates to Canada than the US, so obviously I had to go with the latter. Sounds like the glory years of importing to Canada are over, and importing to the US may soon follow suit.

i suppose one positive is the fact that Amazon US now has a lot of overseas product available in its domestic warehouses (if my shipping labels from “overseas” orders are any indication), and there’s always that ‘Global Marketplace’ thing they have, although frankly I’m sometime puzzled by the shipping costs that change once I try to check out.

Originally Posted by Brian T
Arrow’s upcoming ROBOCOP SE just dropped to $27.97 for preorder from $34.99.
Just noticed Barnes & Noble’s preorder price on this is $24.99 as part of their Arrow sale. Hopefully Amazon will price match at some point. Their current price is essentially B&N’s price plus B&N’s 2.98 shipping, but fair is fair considering most people ordering will get other stuff for free shipping.

Last edited by Brian T; 11-02-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Just noticed Barnes & Noble’s preorder price on this is $24.99 as part of their Arrow sale. Hopefully Amazon will price match at some point. Their current price is essentially B&N’s price plus B&N’s 2.98 shipping, but fair is fair considering most people ordering will get other stuff for free shipping.
The Amazon price is already (their opinion) a PM to B&N -- 24.99 + shipping.

That'd the reason behind almost all of the Criterions that suddenly at Amazon for 22.98
Old 11-02-19, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure if this is related, but I noticed a couple of months back that shipping from Amazon UK to my Canadian address suddenly became two to five times more expensive than shipping to my US addresses. A couple of Amazon DE orders would’ve been about three times higher shipping rates to Canada than the US, so obviously I had to go with the latter. Sounds like the glory years of importing to Canada are over, and importing to the US may soon follow suit.

i suppose one positive is the fact that Amazon US now has a lot of overseas product available in its domestic warehouses (if my shipping labels from “overseas” orders are any indication), and there’s always that ‘Global Marketplace’ thing they have, although frankly I’m sometime puzzled by the shipping costs that change once I try to check out.

I suspect it is related. I didn't know Amazon was starting to implement this already. As far as the Amazon "Global shipping" (Imports on the USA site actually shipped by a European Amazon), shipping on that has always been more expensive.
Old 11-03-19, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I just don't understand these random coupons Amazon is throwing around. I was offered a $4+ coupon on a 4K title last night and when I went back this morning to claim it, it was no longer there. I was offered a similar coupon on another title just a few minutes ago, but when I went back to claim it, it was gone, too.
Old 11-03-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Software algorithms for price matching?
Old 11-03-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Damn, there was like a $2.50 coupon for the new Godzilla Criterion set yesterday and now it's gone.

It would have brought the cost down to around $110 and change not counting tax.

Oh well, I'm still thinking about that set at $112.
Old 11-03-19, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The coupons do seem pretty random. I was browsing last night and came across the Arrow release of Ringu. It was like $22.xx and had a coupon for $4.31 off. I was slightly interested in seeing the film so I bit. Seems like the coupon is already gone though. Probably would buy more Arrow releases if they had similar offers.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-03-19 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-03-19, 01:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Damn, there was like a $2.50 coupon for the new Godzilla Criterion set yesterday and now it's gone.

It would have brought the cost down to around $110 and change not counting tax.

Oh well, I'm still thinking about that set at $112.
I still can't help thinking this will go $99 or a little lower during the holiday sales. I think I'll tempt fate and wait and see.
Old 11-03-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I just don't understand these random coupons Amazon is throwing around. I was offered a $4+ coupon on a 4K title last night and when I went back this morning to claim it, it was no longer there. I was offered a similar coupon on another title just a few minutes ago, but when I went back to claim it, it was gone, too.
Amazon is testing you as a customer, probing how much of a discount you need for a sale.

Remember, Amazon wanted to charge a different price to different customers on the same items. If there hadn't been a huge backlash across the net when that got leaked, Amazon was going to use that pricing system.

Everything Amazon does is about squeezing a few more pennies out from across hundreds and thousands of different customers at any one time. They are willing to experiment and have been aggressive changing the retail status quo.
Old 11-03-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Canceled my Robocop Amazon UK order and ordered the U.S. edition. Saved about $2 and I will probably get it release day, so that works out.
Old 11-03-19, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Must be changing the items around ... nothing mentioned here came up for me. Pretty crappy selection actually ...
Old 11-03-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The coupons do seem pretty random. I was browsing last night and came across the Arrow release of Ringu. It was like $22.xx and had a coupon for $4.31 off. I was slightly interested in seeing the film so I bit. Seems like the coupon is already gone though. Probably would buy more Arrow releases if they had similar offers.
I got offered that same coupon yesterday and I took it. One of the coupons that disappeared showed up again, so those of you that missed one might want to check back.
Old 11-03-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Got the Godzilla Criterion set. The $2.50 coupon was back. Also used about $19 in Amazon rewards.

Came out to $100 exact. That works for me and it will be delivered tomorrow.
Old 11-03-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Ringu coupon is back at the moment, as is the Godzilla coupon, so they must be intermittent.
Old 11-04-19, 07:12 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Mission Impossible 6 film set 4K - $50.39 -
https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Impossible-6-Movie-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B07HSJQS4Z?tag=bluray-033-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER https://www.amazon.com/Mission-Impossible-6-Movie-Collection-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B07HSJQS4Z?tag=bluray-033-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 11-04-19, 07:14 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema - $150 + $17.33 coupon off -- $132.66:
https://www.amazon.com/Ingmar-Bergmans-Cinema-Blu-ray/dp/B07FK78D6W?tag=bluray-033-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER https://www.amazon.com/Ingmar-Bergmans-Cinema-Blu-ray/dp/B07FK78D6W?tag=bluray-033-20&linkCode=xm2&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 11-04-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like the 'Buy 3 For The Price of 2' promo is back up, with a smaller mix of items making it harder to find three picks at the same price point:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Brian T; 11-04-19 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-04-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks like the 'Buy 3 For The Price of 2' promo is back up, with a smaller mix of items making it harder to find three picks at the same price point:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/promotion/A3LOKT701Q9W1X
thanks. Any chance you can post a filtered link to only Criterion Collections BDs for this offer ? Hate that Amazon listing mimics the Best Buy listing style, having to keep clicking ''list more' for every 15 titles or so. Am at work, so can't do it as well 🙂. TIA
Old 11-04-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema - $150 + $17.33 coupon off -- $132.66: https://www.amazon.com/Ingmar-Bergma...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
This is so tempting but I know this set will just sit on a shelf, untouched for the most part.
Old 11-04-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
thanks. Any chance you can post a filtered link to only Criterion Collections BDs for this offer ? Hate that Amazon listing mimics the Best Buy listing style, having to keep clicking ''list more' for every 15 titles or so. Am at work, so can't do it as well ��. TIA
Can't seem to do that. I can view them separately, but it doesn't actually change the basic website address from what I posted earlier. So, here's what I can see:

Blue Velvet
Notorious
Rebecca
Stranger Than Paradise
Hedwig
Klute
The Heiress
Magic Sword
Sawdust & Tinsel
4 Months 3 Weeks (DVD)
In The Head of the Night (DVD)

Incidentally, they added a few more items (in general) since I originally posted, so hopefully that continues.
Old 11-04-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Can't seem to do that. I can view them separately, but it doesn't actually change the basic website address from what I posted earlier. So, here's what I can see:

Blue Velvet
Notorious
Rebecca
Stranger Than Paradise
Hedwig
Klute
The Heiress
Magic Sword
Sawdust & Tinsel
4 Months 3 Weeks (DVD)
In The Head of the Night (DVD)

Incidentally, they added a few more items (in general) since I originally posted, so hopefully that continues.
Thank you. Had $50 in points, so got 'Blue Velvet', 'Notorious' and 'Klute'. And yes, they did add a few new ones since this morning.
Old 11-04-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is so tempting but I know this set will just sit on a shelf, untouched for the most part.
LOL, much as I love it, I've had mine for almost a year & I'm less than 2/3 through & that's with skipping most of the documentaries!

ALmost all the films do have restored/upgraded prints.
Old 11-04-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

My Godzilla set arrived today. It actually arrived double boxed. Criterion has it packed in a box and then Amazon packed it in a box.

Anyways, it's 8 discs and multiple movies per disc plus the bonus material disc. It's a large, but thin coffee table style book. So if you're one for displaying your physical media, it's going to be hard to do that.

Paid $100 flat for it after the coupon and some Amazon rewards, so i'm satisfied with it and I'm glad it was packed well by them.
Old 11-05-19, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Doctor Who: Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)$24.66

$31.28 - $6.62 coupon (on product page) = $24.66

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.