Print Wikipost

Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts
Re: Amazon: Blu-ray discounts and deals mega-thread

Originally Posted by The Cow
Is there a typical time of year that Barnes & Noble does their 50% a bunch of BBC titles sale? I think I'm going to risk holding out for that one, at $45 retail it feels like we will get a cheaper price somewhere, and I'm in no hurry to get it (but I do want it ).
Yeah, I'm tempted, but the fact that Amazon Prime Video has seasons 1-10 of NuWho for streaming means I can watch the Tennant run right now for 'free.'
Old 09-03-19, 05:37 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Yeah, I'm tempted, but the fact that Amazon Prime Video has seasons 1-10 of NuWho for streaming means I can watch the Tennant run right now for 'free.'
Enjoy that for now until it moves to HBOMax next year.
Old 09-03-19, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

I currently subscribe to HBO NOW, mostly for their original programming. If HBO MAX includes that content, and the cost isn't too much more, then I'll probably switch to that.
Old 09-08-19, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Jigsaw (2017) 4K UHD - $9.96
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-11-19, 10:14 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Extended Edition The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Extended Edition
Blu-ray is down to $7.97. The other two aren't far behind at $12.99 each.
Old 09-13-19, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
What about a better price (and retailer for what it's worth)?
31.97 -- no sales tax and FS. That;s appears to be $4-5 cheaper for most people
https://www.bullmoose.com/p/31029924...ion-blu-ray-nr
Got shipping notice from Bullmoose today. Thanks for the heads up on the deal.
Old 09-15-19, 06:19 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

'Night of the Living Dead' - Criterion - $14.94, lowest so far per camel
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-15-19, 10:30 PM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts

More than worth it, that's a beautiful presentation. You've never seen it this good.
Old 09-15-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Didn’t need that, but it will look great on a screen in the driveway on Halloween!
Old 09-18-19, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Really feeling frustrated with Amazon.UK right now. I ordered the 2 Hitchcock sets that were highlighted in the International thread. Amazon was out of both. They charged my card for one of the 2 & put a temp hold on the price of the second. The 2nd was fully charged today. One of 2 says expected delivery date Nov 27. WTF are they doing charging my card 2 months in advance? The 2nd had no delivery date at all. I had a "chat" because the site shows 1 copy in stock. I wanted to know ( & still do) why that last copy wasn't being send to me. The rep said I'd get an email answer within 6 hours. 17 hours later, I initiated a 2nd chat. Still no explanation; now I'm supposed to get an answer in 48 hours. I'm not even asking why it's taking them 2 months to get the 1st set back in stock from Universal. Wonder if Bezos sold the UK company? Amazon USA would have given me a credit for the headache. UK didn't offer.
Old 09-19-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Still waiting for my Brain Damage, ordered in May of this year.
Old 09-19-19, 04:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I just cancelled an order for the Universal Classic Monsters Blu-ray set I placed with Amazon UK back in May. Although I ordered in May, the item never showed it was "Dispatched" on the Amazon UK website. But, they kept quoting that I'd have it by August 14. On August 14, I received an email stating that my shipment would be delayed... until NOVEMBER! I tried Online Chat with Amazon UK and was given a complete run-around for 45-minutes so I ended up having to ask for a manager. The Manager then told he had no idea when it would be shipped, when it would come back into stock, or if it would be restocked at all. The Manager simply said I could "take a chance" and wait or simply cancel the order. Unlike my experience with Amazon U.S., the U.K. staff refused to offer any additional help or even to credit to my account for my inconvenience of waiting 3 months for shipment.
Old 09-19-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Were either of your cards charged like mine was? If so, did you have ANY TROUBLE actually receiving the refund?
Old 09-19-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

World War Z is $5 right now.
Old 09-20-19, 04:25 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Were either of your cards charged like mine was? If so, did you have ANY TROUBLE actually receiving the refund?
My card was not charged.
Old 09-20-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still waiting for 2 promised emails that were supposed to explain the situation & haven't arrived. The Asian cs is the worst. I'm very close to done with Amazon.UK. They've got $25 of my money, & I don't even have a shipping date on one of the 2; the other is more than 2 months out.
Old 09-21-19, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Classic Films
The Complete David Tennant Dr Who preorder is now $33.18. Don't know who they are matching but an odd price.
Preorder price guarantee updated price for anyone who ordered when the price was $34.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QWNR7GB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Price is now down to $25.47 at Amazon and $22.49 at Barnes and Noble. Wish I hadn't preordered.

Last edited by Classic Films; 09-21-19 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-22-19, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I'm still waiting for 2 promised emails that were supposed to explain the situation & haven't arrived. The Asian cs is the worst. I'm very close to done with Amazon.UK. They've got $25 of my money, & I don't even have a shipping date on one of the 2; the other is more than 2 months out.
I know a couple months back in summer that Amazon.co.uk was thinking of charging orders when the pre-order would be placed, instead of waiting around for shipment. Honestly, I haven't ordered from them this year but this was the scuttlebutt around June.
Old 09-22-19, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I know a couple months back in summer that Amazon.co.uk was thinking of charging orders when the pre-order would be placed, instead of waiting around for shipment. Honestly, I haven't ordered from them this year but this was the scuttlebutt around June.
I noticed on Amazon UK they charge right away whether a preorder or in stock item like Paypal does. If you cancel order you are credited back but with the difference in exchange rate you lose a little money on the amount refunded. So its costing money even though nothing shipped.
Old 09-22-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

I've had about 10 preorders since June and have never been charged until shipment. I currently have 3 preorders pending and no charges at all. The only charge I've ever seen before actual shipment has been a £1 temp charge if I attach a new CC, but that is even more common in many retailers who often have a full charge Temp/Preauth that falls off after a few days on any preorder (not just a new card).

Several UK members of various forums seem to have been charged immediately since around May or June while other UK folks still say Business as Usual and never report of posted charge happening.
Most International customers have not had the issue, but not apparently at least a couple have seen it. It has been quite confusing for the UK posters trying to figure out what's going on and as usual different
CSR (including some at supervisory and even more elevated positions) are giving conflicting information about why.

So far it's been very inconsistent. Everybody thinks it has something to do with new Banking rules that are anticipating Brexit/No Brexit/Half-pseudo-maybe Brexit. Initially there was the thought that Debit and Credit Cards were
being treated different (not unusual even in the US), but that eventually was dismissed at least temporarily, different Banks may have been working under different rules (still not a clean answer, but possible), and some seem
to think it's just random.

I can't totally dismiss the idea that backordered items are being treated differently than actual preorders, but that hasn't been explored quite as much. I rarely do backordered items on AmazonInternational
though I do have mixed orders with Current Stock/Preorder that I hold to ship in one package and so far no charges for those either
Old 09-22-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Amazon UK and other EU countries started this at the end of May. Then they backtracked (them saying it's a mistake is an out and out lie, though):

Then they back backtracked (in August) and started charging for preorders after five days (they say they will usually charge when it ships but if it doesn't ship in five days they will charge anyway).
Old 09-22-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Price is now down to $25.47 at Amazon and $22.49 at Barnes and Noble. Wish I hadn't preordered.
Yep. And it looks like it isn't eligible for return-at-Kohls, so since it's technically not their error, i theoretically would have to pay to ship it back. I hate that they don't do post-order price guarantee anymore. I don't expect it for a year after release, but if I bought it at a B&M, I'd probably have 14-30 days to price match or return/rebuy. 20% or whatever isn't chump change.
Old 09-22-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
Yep. And it looks like it isn't eligible for return-at-Kohls, so since it's technically not their error, i theoretically would have to pay to ship it back. I hate that they don't do post-order price guarantee anymore. I don't expect it for a year after release, but if I bought it at a B&M, I'd probably have 14-30 days to price match or return/rebuy. 20% or whatever isn't chump change.
Just say it won't play on your player and be done with it. Normally I don't abide by straight out lying, but Amazon has brought this on themselves. You do have to be a bit careful of their excess return policies which can be
frustratingly impossible to decipher how many is too many.
And the Return/Rebuy period at Walmart can be up to 90 days and Target at least 60
Old 09-22-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
I've had about 10 preorders since June and have never been charged until shipment. I currently have 3 preorders pending and no charges at all. The only charge I've ever seen before actual shipment has been a £1 temp charge if I attach a new CC, but that is even more common in many retailers who often have a full charge Temp/Preauth that falls off after a few days on any preorder (not just a new card).

Several UK members of various forums seem to have been charged immediately since around May or June while other UK folks still say Business as Usual and never report of posted charge happening.
Most International customers have not had the issue, but not apparently at least a couple have seen it. It has been quite confusing for the UK posters trying to figure out what's going on and as usual different
CSR (including some at supervisory and even more elevated positions) are giving conflicting information about why.

So far it's been very inconsistent. Everybody thinks it has something to do with new Banking rules that are anticipating Brexit/No Brexit/Half-pseudo-maybe Brexit. Initially there was the thought that Debit and Credit Cards were
being treated different (not unusual even in the US), but that eventually was dismissed at least temporarily, different Banks may have been working under different rules (still not a clean answer, but possible), and some seem
to think it's just random.

I can't totally dismiss the idea that backordered items are being treated differently than actual preorders, but that hasn't been explored quite as much. I rarely do backordered items on AmazonInternational
though I do have mixed orders with Current Stock/Preorder that I hold to ship in one package and so far no charges for those either
I've gone through so much crap on this order that I'm likely done with Amazon UK. I actually had a rep in Asia tell me I hadn't been charged & that his manager would tell me the same thing. Hm.............. his manager immediately admitted I'd been charged for both items: 1 oos item & that they were down to 1 on the other so they were saving it for someone else. These were 2 separate orders with no combined shipping).. No apology, no credit, no nothing but a mild attempt to placate my anger which was caused by twice being told to expect an email offering resolution that didn't come & by the IDIOTIC first rep on that "chat". The only reason I'm not cancelling is they are so incompetent I'm afraid I wouldn't get my money back.
Old 09-23-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 433 Likes on 297 Posts

Amazon has Friends - The Complete Series on Bluray for $54.49 today (Deal of the Day). The DVDs are $49.49

Between that sale and the VUDU sale on the complete series you can get both the blus and digital copies for $99.48.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.