Reload this Page >

50% OFF MSRP BRITISH TV Blu-rays Barnes & Noble

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

BRITISH TV 60% OFF 12/18 though 12/24/2018 -- extended and enhanced
Coupons were blocked starting 12/11 on both instore and online sales

British TV 50% Off MSRP Sale Dec 4, 2018 through Dec 17, 2018
Now becomes
British TV 60% off MSRP Sale Dec 18 through Dec 24, 2018

I would check other sources since many of the older DVD sets have been 60-75% off (or more on clearance) in the past so even with coupons it may not be a great price

Barnes & Noble Active Coupon Summary I'll try to keep it as UTD as I can during the next 3 weeks. Hopefully it will be a busy time editing.

Also note that there are some in-store items that are 60% off which aren't on sale online.
Notable
Doctor Who: Peter Davison Complete Season One [Series 19 British Reckoning] $70 MSRP, $63 online, but $28 in store or as a ship to home

I updated some of the post, but I'll leave all the below at the 50% just to be lazy
A few notable newer Bluray release items
Doctor Who: Complete Peter Capaldi Years $64.99
Doctor Who: Complete Season 1: Tom Baker $34.99
Last Kingdom: Season Three $22.49 (Preorder)
Masterpiece: Poldark - Season 4 $27.49
Midsomer Murders: Series 20 $29.99
Murdoch Mysteries: Home For the Holidays $12.49
Murdoch Mysteries: Series 11 $29.99
Victoria - the Complete Second Season $29.99
George Gently Complete Series $74.99
Downton Abbey: Complete Collection $74.99

SPOILERED a bunch of links from past sales though many of them may be OOS -- I'll update these as I'm able to double check everything
Spoiler:

Orphan Black Complete Series $54.99
Orphan Black S5 $17.49
Sherlock S1-4 + Abominable Bride $49.99
Doctor Who Complete Series 10 $42.49
The Fall Complete Series Collection 34.99
BBC House of Cards Trilogy 24.99
Sherlock Season 4
Humans 2.0 $19.99
Red Dwarf Xii 19.99
Ripper Street S5 $17.49
Doc Martin Season 8 19.99

Doctor Who Christmas Specials Gift Set
Ripper Street: Season Four
Orphan Black: Season 4
Peaky Blinders: Series Two let's just call this a classic British TV series that isn't for everyone
Murdoch Mysteries: Collection 5-8
Murdoch Mysteries: Season 09
Humans S1
The Night Manager S1

DVD -- be careful. Many of these have been available at very discounts on Amazon, etc and several of the series have been re-released in new packaging with drastically different MSRP than some of these sets.
Red Dwarf: the Complete Collection $99.99 (Amazon had this 2016 at $45)
Absolutely Fabulous: Complete Series (Special Ed) 79.50
Foyle's War: Complete Saga $100
Foyle's War: the Home Front Files, Sets 1-6 Series 7 and 8 are on Bluray if you prefer mixed media.
Are You Being Served?: the Complete Collection $50
Yes Minister: the Complete Collection $30 -- got these 2 series a couple years ago and it's really hard to tell you how funny I find them esp right now
Yes Prime Miniester: The Complete Collection $25 (and yes B&N still has it Mis-spelled)
Black Adder Remastered - The Ultimate Edition $40
Fawlty Towers Complete Series $25
Miss Marple: The Complete Collection $50
Doc Martin: Six Surly Seasons & The Movies $62.50. Season 7 and 8 was released on Bluray, but I'm unaware that 1-6 will ever get that treatment

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-17-18 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
re: 50% OFF MSRP BRITISH TV Blu-rays Barnes & Noble

I'm just missing the last season of Orphan Black. I might pick it up this sale if I can find a good coupon.
Old 12-04-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Geez, Tom Baker with the 20% coupon from the mailer is really tempting. $27.99!
Old 12-04-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I'm not itching to repurchase the first season of Sherlock on Ultra HD Blu-ray. Still, if the 50% off sale applies to that, and I could stack a 20% off coupon and the 10% member discount on top of that with a ship-to-home order, $10.80 + tax could be tough to resist. The discount isn't showing online, though, so I wonder if it's an in-store-only thing like the Davison collection or if it's excluded.
Old 12-04-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4K items have been hit or miss in many of the 40% Off BD Sales so it could easily be excluded, but sometimes you just have to check in store -- or call and have one of the Phone people look it up

I actually thought the Davison set would be in the main sale since all the other DW sets are part.
Old 12-04-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I wonder why The Crown Seasons 1 and 2 are not included online. Isn't this series British enough?
Old 12-04-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I wonder why The Crown Seasons 1 and 2 are not included online. Isn't this series British enough?
I believe it's actually an American production, if I am not mistaken. This sale is almost always for UK-produced fare from certain labels.
Old 12-04-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Hard to know -- sometimes it's a studio thing, but there are always odd items that get left out, but British and TV isn't always the same category as "British TV" in retailer terms. " The Crown" is a Sony release and most of the sets I've checked are PBS(Direct), BBC Warner, and Acorn.

A few years ago the DVD Britt Sherlock Holmes was included,b ut the BD was classified in the system as Horror and not British TV (next year it was fixed).

Universal's Last Kingdom S2 and 3 are included, but not S1 (just like last year online though I think in-store S1 was included).

A couple other sets have shown to be discounted in-store though so it's worth checking.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I believe it's actually an American production, if I am not mistaken. This sale is almost always for UK-produced fare from certain labels.
That would explain and fit though many Canadian productions and a few AUS productions are included, but not all. I really interested in Brokenwood Mysteries, but it's a NZ production and not included
Old 12-04-18, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up Doctor Who: Peter Davison Complete Season One in-store for $31.10 (sale + 15% coupon + B&N credit card (5% cashback))(non-member).
Old 12-05-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by funkymonkeyjavajunky
Picked up Doctor Who: Peter Davison Complete Season One in-store for $31.10 (sale + 15% coupon + B&N credit card (5% cashback))(non-member).
Good to know it is on sale in store. It is not on sale on their website where it is $63.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...=0883929661718
Old 12-05-18, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by funkymonkeyjavajunky
Any way you can share that 15% coupon with us? I don't see it referred to in the main B&N deal thread, nor does the BN.com site mention it. Thank in advance.
Old 12-05-18, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lumberjack
Any way you can share that 15% coupon with us? I don't see it referred to in the main B&N deal thread, nor does the BN.com site mention it. Thank in advance.
Should be in the WIKI of this thread and the Deal thread

I'd say 50-75% chance they'll be a better coupon tomorrow, but it's been much harder to predict coupons this year.
If you're worried about someone buying your local inventory, call the store and have them put it on reserve for you -- usually they;ll pull it and hold
it at the Front Desk for at least 72 hrs (double check the store policy on holds)

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-05-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Murdoch Mysteries is a Canadian production...
Old 12-05-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by andicus
Murdoch Mysteries is a Canadian production...
Quite a few Canadian productions are included for some reason. Sometimes Aus is, sometimes not (Miss Fisher).

Sometimes it seems random.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is as British as it gets, released by BBC Warner, but the system has it classified as plain "TV" (like Last Kingdom S1) and not "British TV" (Last Kingdom S2 and S3)
Old 12-06-18, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ONLINE 20% off qualifying orders of $50.00 or more
WISHLIST
expires December 10, 2018 at 2:59am Eastern Time

Unfortunately for now, they forget this was a code last year and it's still coming up expired, so may have to wait a few hours for them to fix things
EDIT: Now active. i guess some of the IT guys were working late

Still expecting some sort of nice instore discount for the weekend as well
Green Monday weekend codes have normally been 20-25% item coupons

EDIT
25% Off Single Item -- In-store
Y3B4E8X
Expires December 9, 2018 at close of business

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-06-18 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-08-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

There isn't really a thread on this but I'd like to point out that the 25% coupon also works on Arrow Blurays that are 50% off as well. I snagged an Italian thriller for $15 (non member) and was very happy buying it at that price.
Old 12-08-18, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
There isn't really a thread on this but I'd like to point out that the 25% coupon also works on Arrow Blurays that are 50% off as well. I snagged an Italian thriller for $15 (non member) and was very happy buying it at that price.
The coupons do work in-store for the Arrows, but so far only about 15 or so of the Arrows have been marked down in store of the 180-200 that are 50% online.

Which item did you get?
Old 12-09-18, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
The coupons do work in-store for the Arrows, but so far only about 15 or so of the Arrows have been marked down in store of the 180-200 that are 50% online.

Which item did you get?
What Have They Done to Your Daughters.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...=0760137149989

There's no UK release so I can't get it when Arrow UK has a sale and the only other version is an expensive release in Germany.
Old 12-09-18, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What Have They Done to Your Daughters.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd...=0760137149989

There's no UK release so I can't get it when Arrow UK has a sale and the only other version is an expensive release in Germany.
Was this a store pickup or a ship to home? Did it ring up 50% off automatically of the store override the price for you

I actually ordered that online since none of my stores had it in stock (almost no stores in the country seem to have this one) and I never even checked if it was 50% on for a STH order so I could have gotten my member discount on top of the coupon. I received it a couple days ago with TORSO (also US only) and Images which I just didn't want to wait on the next UK sale. Images was definitely not 50% off in store since I tried that item in 2 different stores and had the clerk look up 3 or 4 others none of which were on sale for STH orders.
Old 12-09-18, 05:36 AM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The lady working in the media section of my store said that it came down that there would no longer be a 10% discount for membership if an item is on sale for 50% off or more, including Criterion and the current British sale. They were doing a grace period for long time customers. Also they would not take any coupons for what I bought which were the blu-rays of Tom Baker and Peter Davison season 1. I sent a question to B&N about the discount but haven't had a response yet.
Old 12-09-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We've heard tons of these pronouncements from management over the years -- illegal coupons, hacked websites, we can't do " ," the famous but never seen "memos from corporate," but so far the large majority of them have been empty excuses for an individual store (or manager or clerk) to deny doing something the computer is programmed to accept.

Maybe it will be a new policy, but until it the system believes it right no I continue to put it in the Overreaching Excuse pile. If 6-8 different stores from other regions report the same then I'll start believing.

For right now -- the 50%+Member+ 25% coupons are barely getting to Deep Discounts BOGO sale though the latter only has a limited number of overlapping items
Actually blocking coupons wouldn't shock me, but the member discount is going to be harder to explain - are they going to block the member discount on their 50% off books. will the member/coupon block overlap into the 40% sale
Old 12-09-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Killraven666
The lady working in the media section of my store said that it came down that there would no longer be a 10% discount for membership if an item is on sale for 50% off or more, including Criterion and the current British sale. They were doing a grace period for long time customers. Also they would not take any coupons for what I bought which were the blu-rays of Tom Baker and Peter Davison season 1. I sent a question to B&N about the discount but haven't had a response yet.
I look forward to the death of B&M Barney. Their employees are just overly eccentric weirdos, some of them are nice, but they have this really stupid ideology that coupons are somehow taking cash from their personal wallets. It's just insane and instead of dealing with these idiots I just want them to go away.

Do these people really think they can compete with Amazon if they don't have good customers service, a good selection of books and movies, and special coupons to reward their members?
Old 12-09-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And in the I'll never understand it category -- why actively celebrate any store going belly up even if you hate them. What harm do they do for you to exist? Don't like them, don't go, then you don't have to deal with them. Is there a better bookstore in the wings that B&N is blocking from the property? Did BBY and Amazon improve after Circuit City went out of business or when Borders went under, did Book customers life improve from BAM, BN, Amazon, etc? Are the 25000 BN employees going to suddenly get a better job somewhere

But as all the competitors have disappeared, Amazon has gotten worse and worse with their policies, CS, and prices.

Hate Apple products, there are plenty of alternatives.

Hate Wendy's, why is it harming you to be in business. If they go bankrupt do other Fast Food restaurants suddenly get better?
Old 12-10-18, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Was this a store pickup or a ship to home? Did it ring up 50% off automatically of the store override the price for you
Store pickup. Rang up at 50% automatically. I think when I made the reservation on the phone clerk said price was $19.99. I was more concerned that the 25% coupon wouldn't work.
Old 12-10-18, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Store pickup. Rang up at 50% automatically. I think when I made the reservation on the phone clerk said price was $19.99. I was more concerned that the 25% coupon wouldn't work.
Random surprise as is usually the case with BN. Most of the itmes that have had automatic 50% have been items that are pretty widely in stock and mostly US/English items -- Day of the Jackal. 12 Monkeys, Crimes of Passion, Re-animator, Hired Hand, Fish called Wanda, etc

Always up for a nice surprise though

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.