Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

Old 11-19-18, 10:11 PM
  #51  
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 4,101
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

If you have a Kroger affiliated store, there is a digital coupon for The Happy Teen card which features Barnes and Noble in their digital coupon section online. You get 10 dollars off your groceries if you buy a $50 dollar Happy Teen card with the BN store featured. Other happy cards available as well with other stores as well. Just load the digital coupon at https://www.kroger.com/cl/coupons/
Only good until November 26, 2018

Last edited by g; 11-19-18 at 10:26 PM.
g is offline  
Old 11-20-18, 10:40 AM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 519
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

I have a ridiculously noob-ish question. I'm planning on picking up the Bergman set from this sale and I'm not currently a member. Does the "additional 10% off" for being a member come off as 60% off as opposed to 50%, or does that 10% come off after the 50%? The answer means the difference between an extra $30 off (which makes buying a membership a no-brainer) or $15 off (which complicates things as we don't shop there much).
Dexter Douglas is offline  
Old 11-20-18, 11:27 AM
  #53  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 23,661
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

Originally Posted by Dexter Douglas View Post
I have a ridiculously noob-ish question. I'm planning on picking up the Bergman set from this sale and I'm not currently a member. Does the "additional 10% off" for being a member come off as 60% off as opposed to 50%, or does that 10% come off after the 50%? The answer means the difference between an extra $30 off (which makes buying a membership a no-brainer) or $15 off (which complicates things as we don't shop there much).
It is 10% off the sale price of $150.
dex14 is online now  
Old 11-20-18, 11:38 AM
  #54  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

Originally Posted by Dexter Douglas View Post
I have a ridiculously noob-ish question. I'm planning on picking up the Bergman set from this sale and I'm not currently a member. Does the "additional 10% off" for being a member come off as 60% off as opposed to 50%, or does that 10% come off after the 50%? The answer means the difference between an extra $30 off (which makes buying a membership a no-brainer) or $15 off (which complicates things as we don't shop there much).
The discounts are sequential MSRP*50%*90%*(any other discount coupon though not applicable for Criterion) -- also in-store only if that's an issue (or store generated ship to home).

It may be a little late, but if you've never been a member before BN sends a "New Member Coupon packet" within a few days. This pack should have at least one useful coupon for Criterions -- $5 off $50 transaction. There is also a store $5 off $10 DVD/BD coupon which doesn't work on Criterion but will on many other items like the 50% off Arrow sale (select items in store).

Assuming:
Bergman -- $15 off Member Discount + $5/50 coupon
12 Monkeys Arrow -- $2 member discount, $5/10 coupon

$27 savings on 2 items, you're ahead a couple dollars already ASSUMING those are items you wanted. Free membership benefits for the next 50-51 weeks.

A couple problems -- it's so late I'm not sure the Welcome Packet would come quickly enough.

Bergman set is already getting scarce -- instore copies are on hold, selling out, or spider wrapped. Online (shiptohome) appears to on backorder already though it may come back into stock in the next 10 days or so
hariseldon is offline  
Old 11-20-18, 12:14 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 430
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
The discounts are sequential MSRP*50%*90%*(any other discount coupon though not applicable for Criterion) -- also in-store only if that's an issue (or store generated ship to home).

It may be a little late, but if you've never been a member before BN sends a "New Member Coupon packet" within a few days. This pack should have at least one useful coupon for Criterions -- $5 off $50 transaction. There is also a store $5 off $10 DVD/BD coupon which doesn't work on Criterion but will on many other items like the 50% off Arrow sale (select items in store).

Assuming:
Bergman -- $15 off Member Discount + $5/50 coupon
12 Monkeys Arrow -- $2 member discount, $5/10 coupon

$27 savings on 2 items, you're ahead a couple dollars already ASSUMING those are items you wanted. Free membership benefits for the next 50-51 weeks.

A couple problems -- it's so late I'm not sure the Welcome Packet would come quickly enough.

Bergman set is already getting scarce -- instore copies are on hold, selling out, or spider wrapped. Online (shiptohome) appears to on backorder already though it may come back into stock in the next 10 days or so

I don't see a $5/10 coupon anywhere on the B&N coupon thread page. Is that a mail-in coupon?
Jfunk1 is offline  
Old 11-20-18, 12:52 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 519
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

Thanks for the info everyone! My Criterion budget has pretty much disappeared and I'm making an exception for the Bergman set, so it looks like I might just be better off picking it up today/chancing Amazon beating the hell out of it in shipping today.
Dexter Douglas is offline  
Old 11-20-18, 01:57 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

Originally Posted by Jfunk1 View Post
I don't see a $5/10 coupon anywhere on the B&N coupon thread page. Is that a mail-in coupon?
No it was a new set of Welcome coupons BN starting sending by email to NEW MEMBERS when they discontinued the CD coupon and 8/40 Movie coupon about 16-18 months ago. Initially those were the same generic re-usuable coupons they'd been for years, but around August-September 2017 they changed them to 13 digit one-time use codes. After that there really wasn't much need in posting the new Welcome codes b/c even if the NEW MEMBER was willing to give up a valuable perk, it would only work for the first user so if you're going to give them away you might as send them PM or Email instead of open posting and letting the Lurkers get first crack.

In place of the online and store $8/40 they put in a "$5 off $10 Movie" coupon
The 5 off 15 CD (also worked for LP) coupons were basically replaced by LP coupons, but it only worked for LP and other

The online/store A-10 Warthog of a coupon "$5 off $50 transaction" coupons stayed the pack, but as unique ID one time code.


The $50 Pack became a $60 pack. The last set I looked at this was the included:

Online
$10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item
$5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item
$15 off Any Turntable
$5 off Vinyl LP
$5 off $50 or more total Purchase
$5 off one DVD/Blu-ray priced $10 or higher


In-store
Free Tall Caffé Latte with Any Café Purchase
$15 Off One Turntable
$5 Off One Vinyl LP
$5 Off One DVD/Blu-ray price of $10+
$5 off $50 Total Transaction

Last edited by hariseldon; 11-20-18 at 02:07 PM.
hariseldon is offline  
Old 12-02-18, 02:56 PM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
asianxcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 15,627
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

I finally found a copy of Breaking The Waves that wasn't thrashed due to shipping.

That film has been on my Want List for far too long.
asianxcore is offline  
Old 12-08-18, 05:18 PM
  #59  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

The lady working in the media section of my store said that it came down that there would no longer be a 10% discount for membership if an item is on sale for 50% off or more, including Criterion and the current British sale. They were doing a grace period for long time customers.
Killraven666 is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 03:08 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 20,504
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

Originally Posted by Killraven666 View Post
The lady working in the media section of my store said that it came down that there would no longer be a 10% discount for membership if an item is on sale for 50% off or more, including Criterion and the current British sale. They were doing a grace period for long time customers.
I'll heavily regret re-upping my membership last week if that is the case. I'm surprised they are pulling this around Christmas time and not waiting until after the season.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 12-09-18, 10:48 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,162
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

No discount, no membership. That pisses me off if they do actually go that route.
dsa_shea is offline  
Old 12-13-18, 01:05 AM
  #62  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 449
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

B&N 50% Off The Criterion Collection - Online Only 12/13 through 12/1/2018

And now for something somewhat different

"For 4 days only, save on classic and contemporary films from The Criterion Collection of Blu-rays and DVDs. This offer is available online ONLY, through 12/16!"

*Titles are not eligible for coupons during the Criterion Collection 50% off sale.

Criterion Half Price Sale -- so far only a handful of items in the list, but I'm assuming this will expand.

For folks that want one more chance to put a 'Pre" order in for the Bergman set this could be another chance to get it for $150

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-13-18 at 02:18 AM.
hariseldon is offline  
Old 12-14-18, 06:21 AM
  #63  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 63
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

YES!...Got my Bergman set after missing out weeks ago! Got what I wanted for Christmas...BUT looks like a wait until February! It will be worth the wait!
papapauly is offline  
Old 12-15-18, 12:45 AM
  #64  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 25
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% Off MSRP Sale November 2 through December 3, 2018

Spoke with customer relations today and they said they wished I had called while in the store so that they could speak directly with the store personnel because that is not the new policy. So if it happens call 1-800-962-6177 while in the store and let them handle it. The lady I spoke with said that she was gonna forward it over to be sent down to stores.
Killraven666 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.