Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Universal 30 Film Classic Monster Collection - $69.99 @ Amazon (DOtD)

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Universal 30 Film Classic Monster Collection - $69.99 @ Amazon (DOtD)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Universal 30 Film Classic Monster Collection - $69.99 @ Amazon (DOtD)

My box is going to be delivered today. And I've got the UK base set, so I've got one good copy of Creature From the Black Lagoon. Redundancy can be useful sometimes.
Old 10-23-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
My box is going to be delivered today. And I've got the UK base set, so I've got one good copy of Creature From the Black Lagoon. Redundancy can be useful sometimes.
Classic Creature 2D and 3D is correct regardless (or at least correct as it is on any disc)-- it's the other disc in the set that's screwed up or at least partially less screwed up now. Apparently the 2D Creature Walks was always good, now the Revenge 3D is OK, but probably not the REvenge 2D.
Old 10-23-18, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Classic Creature 2D and 3D is correct regardless (or at least correct as it is on any disc)-- it's the other disc in the set that's screwed up or at least partially less screwed up now. Apparently the 2D Creature Walks was always good, now the Revenge 3D is OK, but probably not the REvenge 2D.
Thanks. That's what happens when I skim a thread.
Old 10-24-18, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
It's exactly the same movie duplication on both sets.
The original The Legacy Collection DVD sets didn't have duplication, House of Frankenstein was only on Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man was only on Wolf Man and House of Dracula was only on Dracula, and none of them included Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.
It was the re-release Complete Legacy Collection DVD sets that match the duplication on the Blu-ray sets.
Old 10-24-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
The original The Legacy Collection DVD sets didn't have duplication, House of Frankenstein was only on Frankenstein, Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man was only on Wolf Man and House of Dracula was only on Dracula, and none of them included Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.
It was the re-release Complete Legacy Collection DVD sets that match the duplication on the Blu-ray sets.
The discussion was the "Complete Legacy Collection" sets and not the individual releases - at least that's how I read it. The original Legacy Editions didn't get a box set release, and, yes, they did not have that duplication. I believe Universal caught some flak over that as people had to purchase some sets they didn't want just to get a movie or two which had another monster. It doesn't seem to matter which approach they take that they get complaints.
Old 10-24-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
That was my experience also; though I mistakenly thought it was the blu's only.
Old 10-24-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm just glad mine shipped as my old DVD-18s from the Legacy sets are starting to flake out and I wanted to watch some of the Wolf Man films on Halloween.
Old 10-24-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, I haven't noticed any issues with my Legacy Monster dvd's going bad. What exactly is happening?
Old 10-24-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Wow, I haven't noticed any issues with my Legacy Monster dvd's going bad. What exactly is happening?
One of the Wolf Man discs won't play at all at this point. I recall there being issues with some of the DVD-18s right out of the gate with these releases but that was a long while ago.
Old 10-24-18, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The typical DVD-18 issues. Mostly freezing/hanging, especially after the layer change.

Mine started with a minor issue on "The Invisible Agent" where there was a hang and then skip ahead. Right before the remastered SS DVDs were released my Mummy set started having issues on all of the movies. I don't know about the others as I purchased the upgraded, SS, DVD set when it came out and have only watched it until the BR sets were released. I've purchased those as they came out.
Old 10-24-18, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Rather than quoting Moo for the 3rd time, I’ll just say that my Dracula’s Daughter & Spanish Dracula are no longer readable.
Old 10-25-18, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. I'd never heard of dvd-18 before. I find this beyond unacceptable. I bought all of the original
DVD boxes upon release, & paid quite a bit. I have replayed some, but not all. So apparently I need to replace my remaining dvd boxes with blu's? Dracula especially bites (no pun intended) as the only ones I don't have in blu on the Frank & Wolf boxes are Son & Daughter. I take it there's no replacement program for the original dvd boxes? Now I'm even afraid to resell mine on ebay........
Old 10-25-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD-18 -- Double Sided, Double Layer discs have always seemed to have issues. The original Farscape discs I think were the worst of the bunch and they re-released those as single sided discs later there were so many failures either right out of the box or within 12-18 months.

Battlestar Galactica sets were much later, but still a couple of my DVDs have issues which I checked them before I though about selling them since I had replaced them with the BD

I'm not sure any of the DVD18 sets are immune to the issues and I certainly would make sure to check them with some program if you don't want to physically run each disc. VSO Inspector seems to be pretty useful, but I found DVDClone or DVDFab showed me errors years ago when I was trying to make HDD or DVDR Backups for the discs

I think the DVD18 and HD-DVD/DVD double sided disc disasters were one of the reasons that teh Bluray crowed reacted so loudly to the attempt to do BD/DVD double sided hybrids even though I don't know any of those that actually failed (I actually do have a few of them and never had as issue with one). Most people just plain refused to buy them at all and the industry people heard that very clearly.
Old 10-25-18, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Universal's DVD-18 releases were always problematic and forward-thinking collectors would import to actively avoid them. Their quality control was always suspect and it appears they really weren't engineered with the same lifespan of dual-layer DVD-9s that had became the gold standard by the mid-2000s.
Old 10-25-18, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks. I'd never heard of dvd-18 before. I find this beyond unacceptable. I bought all of the original
DVD boxes upon release, & paid quite a bit. I have replayed some, but not all. So apparently I need to replace my remaining dvd boxes with blu's? Dracula especially bites (no pun intended) as the only ones I don't have in blu on the Frank & Wolf boxes are Son & Daughter. I take it there's no replacement program for the original dvd boxes? Now I'm even afraid to resell mine on ebay........
Absolutely upgrade to the BR releases. Not only do the films look better than they ever have there are a couple of films there are some bits restored that've been missing for years. One of the Frankenstein titles for sure (too lazy to look up just which) and possibly another (again... don't remember for sure and feeling lazy today).

Universal *never* had a replacement program for these and would often dismiss complaints about the type of disc. They were about the worst studio/distributor about using those format discs. It impacted dozens of titles (Rockford Files, Alfred Hitchcock, Abbott & Costello, Francis the Mule, several Lugosi/Karloff sets, Don Knotts, Battlestar Galactica, basically if it had "Franchise" in the title it was likely on DVD-18s) so it pays to be wary of *any* Universal release on DS discs.

If you resell them, check them first but be ready for returns/complaints. I've had some sets that play OK on one player but not another. Cheapness of the player didn't seem to be a factor.
Old 10-25-18, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Absolutely upgrade to the BR releases. Not only do the films look better than they ever have there are a couple of films there are some bits restored that've been missing for years. One of the Frankenstein titles for sure (too lazy to look up just which) and possibly another (again... don't remember for sure and feeling lazy today).

Universal *never* had a replacement program for these and would often dismiss complaints about the type of disc. They were about the worst studio/distributor about using those format discs. It impacted dozens of titles (Rockford Files, Alfred Hitchcock, Abbott & Costello, Francis the Mule, several Lugosi/Karloff sets, Don Knotts, Battlestar Galactica, basically if it had "Franchise" in the title it was likely on DVD-18s) so it pays to be wary of *any* Universal release on DS discs.

If you resell them, check them first but be ready for returns/complaints. I've had some sets that play OK on one player but not another. Cheapness of the player didn't seem to be a factor.
That makes sense, I have an Oppo. Right now on blu I have 3 of the boxes: Frankenstein, Wolfman, & the UK box with the main film (or in 2 cases 2 films) of each "franchise". Guess I'll be watching for Black Fri; though it bugs me to re-purchase Dracula for a whopping 2 films.
Old 12-12-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't find a seperate thread, but Creature Legacy BD set appears to be showing back up on several websites tonight. Almost everywhere except WM and Amazon so far
Old 12-13-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It would be good to find out if the bad transfer has been corrected. I would eventually like to get that.
Old 12-13-18, 03:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

i just got my set from Amazon. Watched Revenge of the Creature in 3D. It was a little soft in spots, but it was frame-packed 3D, not side by side, so am assuming it is the corrected version? Not sure how else to tell. I also checked the 2D version. while not HD quality, it is definitely better than the DVD...
Old 12-13-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cinemaman
i just got my set from Amazon. Watched Revenge of the Creature in 3D. It was a little soft in spots, but it was frame-packed 3D, not side by side, so am assuming it is the corrected version? Not sure how else to tell. I also checked the 2D version. while not HD quality, it is definitely better than the DVD...
The standalone or the 30 film? The latter is pretty much a given now and though I can't imagine the new/release standalone isn't fixed, it's always nice to get first reports.

Before someone gets the wrong idea -- the 2D is 1080p, but it's not a great transfer and appears to have a lot of filtering done to it apparently after it left 3D Archive group.
It's not as some reported previously 720p or a simple DVD upscale or even no better than the DVD. So far it seems to be pretty much the same transfers as were on the 1st disc, but just encoded properly.
There is some debate about whether the alternate eye of the 3D would have been a better file to use for the 2D over the one they did use. When folks have examined them separately
it seems that eye has less manipulation/filter/Noise-Grain Reduction and may look noticeably better.

This was particularly brought up after some information from Koch/Germany who did their own release apparently using the same files. Kocj decided to put their release on 3 discs with Creature Walks getting its own disc, and put the 3D/2D Revenge on a different disc. This also allowed them to use the better eye for the 2D version. I don't know of anyone who has been able to do a side by side comparison of the 2 versions to see if there really is a drastic difference in the L eye vs R eye file. The Koch just released and hasn't been confirmed, but very likely is B-locked (and $50 shipped)

Last edited by hariseldon; 12-13-18 at 03:53 PM.