DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/644921-kino-lorber-kl-studio-classics-sales-discounts-deals.html)

hariseldon 10-17-19 01:06 PM

re: Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals

Streaming I understand -- different version of HBO, Cable TV. Different version of what I've done for 40 years. Pay a monthly fee -- don't pretend you own them or that they be available beyond next month.

Discs I understand -- buy it, you own it for better or worse. Play it, store it, donate it, sell it. There is at least some tangible value to it -- whether it's a $2 used store credit or a $200 OOP Ebay Collectible.

Buying digital copies (I guess technically the license) I don't understand -- pay the fee, you can watch the one item, but you don't own it. Sunk cost and often higher price and lower quality than most discs.
You can't sell it, you can't donate it, you can give it to your Children when you die (other than giving them you password). I redeem the free copies that come in my disc, but can't say I've ever watched one all the way through.
I will occasionally to a D2D for $2 or buy a VUDU item for a couple dollars or a TV season for $5, but that's basically the same as a Redbox rental so I can justify that.

Brian T 10-17-19 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by hariseldon (Post 13625468)
Buying digital copies (I guess technically the license) I don't understand -- pay the fee, you can watch the one item, but you don't own it. Sunk cost and often higher price and lower quality than most discs. You can't sell it, you can't donate it, you can give it to your Children when you die (other than giving them you password). I redeem the free copies that come in my disc, but can't say I've ever watched one all the way through.

I should probably clarify my own use of digital copies. Like yours, the versions I put on my laptop all came from disc combo packs that I purchased. I just noticed a bunch of them still had the unused lips in them at one point in time, and decided why not get the value out of them since I paid for them as part of the packs. But it quickly became apparent that I was never going to watch them, even after they transferred to my new 27" iMac.

And when I see sites like KinoNOW and all the other boutique labels allowing me to "own" a movie — sans supplements, quite often — for $9.99 when in most cases I paid less (or not much more) than that for the physical Blu-ray, I just slap my head that anyone would see that as a value proposition. The average rental price at most sites seems to be $4.99, which is ludicrous. At best, that should be the ownership price, and rentals at maybe $2.00. And even then, I'd still prefer my discs. :)

hariseldon 10-17-19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13625477)
I should probably clarify my own use of digital copies. Like yours, the versions I put on my laptop all came from disc combo packs that I purchased. I just noticed a bunch of them still had the unused lips in them at one point in time, and decided why not get the value out of them since I paid for them as part of the packs. But it quickly became apparent that I was never going to watch them, even after they transferred to my new 27" iMac.

And when I see sites like KinoNOW and all the other boutique labels allowing me to "own" a movie — sans supplements, quite often — for $9.99 when in most cases I paid less (or not much more) than that for the physical Blu-ray, I just slap my head that anyone would see that as a value proposition. The average rental price at most sites seems to be $4.99, which is ludicrous. At best, that should be the ownership price, and rentals at maybe $2.00. And even then, I'd still prefer my discs. :)

I was pretty sure we've had a similar discussion before so no clarification needed on my part, but as an overall arc it's fine.
Actually the only reason I even wen through the trouble of redeeming of D2D a lot of my collection was to use teh Family VUDU sharing program way back -- my kids were scattered across the country so they could use my Digital Collection and not have to
get elsewhere and surely they had no desire to have an actual collection. I'm not even sure if that program in even active as a Grandfathered Plan now that UV is gone. I haven't quite figured if the Google Play sharing plan is comparable or not.

MooMooMooMoo 10-18-19 01:36 AM

I watched the debate on a stream Tuesday (I can't afford tier 3 to get CNN). The picture quality isn't even close to a 720 file.

I'm willing to pay $5 or so for an mkv264 file that I own as my Oppo will play them on a Flash Drive by USB & the only shortcoming is no chaptering. But streams are the quality equivalent of VHS hi-fi or cassette tape for music. And I don't own it even if I paid for a full purchase.

Jay G. 10-18-19 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 13625820)
I watched the debate on a stream Tuesday (I can't afford tier 3 to get CNN). The picture quality isn't even close to a 720 file.

And you paid how much for that stream?

Live streams can be tricky, as the encoding and streaming all have to be done in real-time. The bitrate may be optimized for low bandwidth, so the most people can watch it, not high quality. There's no ability to do more than one pass of the video, or variable bit-rate it so that high motion scenes get a bit more bitrate, and more static scenes get less.

Also, keep in mind that CNN is producing that live stream as a sort of "public service," and don't want it to be of comparable to watching it via a cable service. I'm not saying they're intentionally hobbling it, but they're also not necessarily putting a lot of money/work into it.

I've watched shows in 4K on Netflix and Amazon Prime, and while not UHD Blu-ray quality, they can look quite nice. Trying to dismiss streaming as a format because of one bad stream is like trying to dismiss DVD or Blu-ray because of one bad disc.

dex14 10-18-19 09:39 AM

Please take the streaming talk to that particular forum. There's a thread about the Kino service there: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-...g-service.html

sleepyhead55 11-09-19 01:02 PM

There will be two sales coming next week: one on Noir Titles and another one on titles that are "while supplies last/in stock".

MooMooMooMoo 11-09-19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 (Post 13637286)
There will be two sales coming next week: one on Noir Titles and another one on titles that are "while supplies last/in stock".

Thanks for the heads up! I eagerly await (hopeful) large discounts!

dex14 11-13-19 01:33 PM

Two November Sales Are LIVE Now!
• Over 180 Blu-rays and DVDs - $5.99 and Up!
• Free USA Shipping - Orders of $50 or More!
NOIRVEMBER SALE!
https://www.klstudioclassics.com/…/view/code/noirvember-2019
WHILE SUPPLIES LAST SALE!
https://www.klstudioclassics.com/…/…/code/november-2019-sale
These titles will eventually go on moratorium and will not be restocked.

Jay G. 11-13-19 02:09 PM

The links in dex's post go through facebook for some reason. Here's more direct links

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/lis...oirvember-2019

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/lis...mber-2019-sale

MooMooMooMoo 11-13-19 06:15 PM

Thanks! I'm surprised the prices are this high in November.

laidbacklarkin 11-13-19 07:10 PM

The Noirs certainly ain't priced like they're on sale. The stock reduction sale has some good prices but the titles themselves aren't compelling. Mildly disappointed. Look forward to different opinions

Paul_SD 11-13-19 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 13639571)
The Noirs certainly ain't priced like they're on sale. The stock reduction sale has some good prices but the titles themselves aren't compelling. Mildly disappointed. Look forward to different opinions

Frankly I was annoyed to see recent releases like Naked Alibi, Man In Between, Seven Days To Noon, and Woman In Hiding on sale for $11.99. I paid, on average, $12.60 in the Target sale- but that was gambling that they wouldn't be included at all.
$11.99 however is absolutely in line with past sales for more recent, deeper catalog (it seems new catalog has recently only been discounted to $13.49 in the last couple sales). Things released a week or two before the sale aren't usually discounted at all.
Had I not already gotten these, I probably would have put in a $70 or $80 order. Instead, because I hit the Target one as hard as I did, I'll probably be skipping these next few Kino sales entirely.

JoeySeven 11-14-19 12:10 AM

If anyone is interested
This should be a update list of Kino Lorber titles OOP or going OOP.
If I have time ,I'll check to see if a another country has same movie.

Kino Lorber needs to post the correct information on their site and movies before I post any more info.

MooMooMooMoo 11-14-19 12:20 AM

I'll look forward to your list, thanks! Boys is one of 2 that interested me at today's prices but I'm way below the $50 free ship at this point.

JoeySeven 11-14-19 02:21 AM

Almost certain most if not all titles on the WHILE SUPPLIES LAST SALE! are not going to be available again from Kino.
From what KLI posted nothing is going to sell out real fast,but if you want one their movies,better to order sooner.

I'll just Quote from Kino Lorber Insider on blu forum. As they are a insider.:D
No they really are, it is nice to have people
from Kino and few other studios chat on forums.
Kino has release over 2300 titles.And they plan to cut back on their releases as what Kino Lorber Insider has been posting in this forum. But even though some Kinos are going away,not sure if I
want to buy many.Hell most of these I never seen before..Hope this is correct info and list.

MooMooMooMoo 11-14-19 10:15 PM

Thank you! I can see why Kino is letting them go...............

sleepyhead55 11-16-19 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 13639679)
I'll look forward to your list, thanks! Boys is one of 2 that interested me at today's prices but I'm way below the $50 free ship at this point.

Yeah, I can't hit the $50 threshold with both these sales. Easier to just wait for another sale with more titles on sale.

davidlynchfan 11-17-19 12:20 PM

Slim pickens

clappj 11-18-19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan (Post 13641494)
Slim pickens

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...57a552a2b5.jpg

JoeySeven 11-18-19 11:10 PM

Had too add this gif. :lol:
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...ae3bbdd309.gif

Thank you! I can see why Kino is letting them go...............
agree, looking at some of these tittles,I'm surprise so many made it to disc.
And I'm sometimes guilty of blind buying a movie or tv season just because it is on sale. :sad:

MooMooMooMoo 11-19-19 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55 (Post 13641328)
Yeah, I can't hit the $50 threshold with both these sales. Easier to just wait for another sale with more titles on sale.

Even with really trying to hit it, I couldn't get over $48!

JoeySeven 11-22-19 08:22 PM

The good
Kino has release some movies from the 60's and 70's that I'm glad made it to blu-ray and I bought many of them.

The Bad
Packing, nothing was damaged but about 6"x 6" space left in the box the movies could slide around in.
Still better over Amazon.com/UK on some of their packages .:lol:

The Ugly

Incorrect information on some of their films on the Kino website and the blu-ray cover. I never came across this before,and it is just not
one movie,I found 4 so far that I bought that have incorrect info about subs.

Not sure how many of kinos tittles use to be from Mill Creek,but I'm for sure going to avoid these movies.

Now I'll have to research some of films I might be interested from Kino,but the buyer should not have too.
My biggest gripe is with subtitles. I use these a lot, and sometimes it is a deal killer if the films has no subs.

example
Consenting Adults has subtitles. But both Kino website and label says nothing about having subs on the film.
bluray.com databas has it right. I'll list the other films latter when I find them,as a few are from a earlier order.

I just never came across this problem with any other studio or distributor. The truth is while not a huge problem,I'm kind of surprise that a studio like Kino would have i
ncorrect information on not just a few movies,but I found 3 or 4 so far out of about 25 movies I checked so far,and that is about half of my Kinos I own.I would like Kino to at least fix update their website but I know subs are not important to most buyers.
and I want physical media to thrive as long as possible.

Ok next rant picture quality... good or bad. i believe better is going to win out,so something postive

PhantomStranger 11-22-19 10:53 PM

Kino has gone with quantity over quality the past couple years when it came to dumping their licensed catalog titles out on BD. Honestly, I think it's the right move because virtually no other label would have touched many of their releases over that period.

Jay G. 11-22-19 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by JoeySeven (Post 13644736)
My biggest gripe is with subtitles. I use these a lot, and sometimes it is a deal killer if the films has no subs.

example
Consenting Adults has subtitles. But both Kino website and label says nothing about having subs on the film. bluray.com databas has it right. I'll list the other films latter when I find them,as a few are from a earlier order.

Are these basically "English for the deaf and hard of hearing" aka "English SDH" subtitles, i.e the stand-in for close captions? If so, they may not be considering them as "subtitles" in the traditional sense. Kino also doesn't list the audio tracks on the back of the Consenting Adults, so they don't provide a lot of into on their discs.I can see how it can be frustrating to not have that info on the back.

Maybe every Kino Blu-ray has English SDH, and they just take it for granted people would know that?