DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Blu-ray Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/)
-   -   Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains/644921-kino-lorber-kl-studio-classics-sales-discounts-deals.html)

dex14 08-15-18 11:20 AM

Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ab&oe=5BF9E9EB

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/lis...filiate=klscsm

• Order will be sent when all items are in stock. Orders will not be split.
• Orders with pre-ordered items will not be sent until several days before street date.
• For North American online orders only. Sale prices through August 28th!

Paul_SD 08-15-18 12:30 PM

re: Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals

If I remember right, Kino charges when the order is placed, not when it ships- or am I incorrect?

If so, I'd be tempted to place a $100+ order containing some pre-orders that won't ship till after my next CC billing cycle.

Also, there are some great prices on a couple of items I particularly wanted- but I seem to recall prices fluctuating/being raised subtly during the course of previous sales.

laidbacklarkin 08-15-18 12:50 PM

Titles to avoid:
Custer of the West
Duel in the Sun
Lion In Winter

dex14 08-15-18 12:57 PM

Irma La Douce (4K Restoration) 1 $11.99
Blaze (Special Edition) 1 $7.99
Cradle will Rock (Special Edition) 1 $7.99
Enter the Ninja 1 $9.99
The Jericho Mile 1 $10.99
Revenge of the Ninja 1 $9.99
The Woman in the Window 1 $11.99
Play it to the Bone (Special Edition) 1 $5.99
Under Capricorn (Special Edition) 1 $10.99
Special Delivery 1 $8.99
The Thomas Crown Affair (50th Anniversary Special Edition) 1 $10.99
Navajo Joe 1 $9.99
Subtotal: $117.88

Paul_SD 08-15-18 12:58 PM

^ that's the spirit :)

Irma and Blaze are on my list too.

MooMooMooMoo 08-15-18 03:01 PM

Thank you for posting! Because I've got the majority pf these I want, what I perceive as frequent lower quality transfers, & these prices aren't that great; I'm going to pass.

I will say I never thought I'd see the day when blu's were priced lower than dvd (in most cases with this sale) !

DJariya 08-15-18 03:16 PM

I might have to pick up a few of those. There are some that are priced way too high on Amazon that I wanted. Here they're like 50-60% off what Amazon is selling them for.

Jazzinator 08-15-18 03:27 PM

Fritz Lang Silent Film set is about $80 on Amazon, as opposed to $112.46 on Amazon.

On the other hand, The Big Country is $5 cheaper at Kino Lorber, and The Woman in the Window is about 1/2 Amazon's price at Kino Lorber.

Classic Films 08-15-18 05:45 PM

I am going to wait for the holidays sale. Many of these seem higher than during previous sales others are cheaper. Not surprisingly the most recent releases are the most expensive. I think I will do better later.

Paul_SD 08-15-18 05:58 PM

Billion Dollar Brain
Blaze
Spetters
The Wilby Conspiracy
It's The Old Army Game
Twice Told Tales
The High Commissioner
Ruby Gentry
I Walk Alone
Irma La Douce
Storm Fear
Tiger By The Tail

laidbacklarkin 08-15-18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 13390394)
I am going to wait for the holidays sale. Many of these seem higher than during previous sales others are cheaper. Not surprisingly the most recent releases are the most expensive. I think I will do better later.

Some of the titles are also available on Vudu for free to stream (Irma La Douce for e.g) I do routinely find many Kino offerings for free on Vudu, specially many westerns. So check them out quality if you're on the fence on a purchase

sleepyhead55 08-15-18 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films (Post 13390394)

Counterpoint: There seemed to be a fair amount of discs in the $5.99-$7.99 range during this sale.

DJariya 08-15-18 11:11 PM

I placed a small order for the minimum free shipping threshold.

Deep Rising (20th Anniversary Special Edition)
(Pre-order, Available 8/21/18) 1 $17.97
The Ambassador 1 $8.99
Assassination 1 $7.99
Platoon Leader / Soldier Boyz (Michael Dudikoff Double Feature) 1 $8.99
SpaceCamp 1 $9.99
Subtotal: $53.93
Shipping [FedEx Smartpost]: $0.00
Tax $4.85
Total $58.78

Deep Rising is not part of the sale (new title pre-order), but $17.97 is $2 cheaper than Amazon and I've been wanting it since it was announced.

PhantomStranger 08-16-18 01:05 AM

I really dread seeing a thread pop up with Kino's name on it. There goes another couple hundred.

dex14 08-16-18 11:17 AM

My order shipped already.

DJariya 08-16-18 01:39 PM

I got the notification today that my order has been processed and will ship soon.

I wonder if they will ship them all together or separate since Deep Rising is a new release on Tuesday.

dex14 08-16-18 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13390831)
I got the notification today that my order has been processed and will ship soon.

I wonder if they will ship them all together or separate since Deep Rising is a new release on Tuesday.

Probably together with Deep Rising if it comes out next week. To ship it on Friday most likely is no big deal to them.

DVD Polizei 08-16-18 02:05 PM

Don't forget Avanti.

papapauly 08-17-18 04:01 AM

Executioners Song
Foxes
Krakatoa East of Java
The Onion Field
Ulee’s Gold
Consenting Adults

Thanks for the info on this sale-

Paul_SD 08-17-18 08:32 PM

^ I was pleasantly surprised with Ulee's Gold. Solid movie.

I was talking with a beekeeper in Ft Meyers earlier this year, who packaged and solde her own honey.
Best honey I've ever tasted and she said that the film was surprisingly quite accurate in that area.

Also just watched Onion Field in the last couple months. Still a powerful, affecting movie.

Good selections. Enjoy!

DJariya 08-17-18 08:39 PM

My order shipped and says it will arrive next Friday.

Free shipping like FedEx Smart Post is so slow. But, for this stuff, I'm in no hurry to get it.

Paul_SD 08-18-18 04:24 PM

I don't know if mine shipped or not. I got a followup email saying everything was cleared for packing or shipping or something like that, but nothing with a tracking number.

I'm in no particular hurry either, just would be nice to know when to expect it so I don't have a package sitting outside for hours.

DJariya 08-23-18 12:34 PM

According to the FedEx tracking, my order is being pushed back for delivery until the 29th. It shipped on the 17th. Funny thing is, it's current location is about 25 miles from where I live.

I'm in no hurry to get it as I probably won't have time to watch these right away, but just curious is FedEx Smartpost really slow like this?

PhantomStranger 08-23-18 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13394277)
According to the FedEx tracking, my order is being pushed back for delivery until the 29th. It shipped on the 17th. Funny thing is, it's current location is about 25 miles from where I live.

I'm in no hurry to get it as I probably won't have time to watch these right away, but just curious is FedEx Smartpost really slow like this?

Yes. Smartpost is basically FedEx's very-low priority shipping.

Paul_SD 08-23-18 03:19 PM

Received mine yesterday.

Just read part of Erkickson's review of The Purple Plain and really wish I'd looked into that movie before I ordered. I was under the impression it was a overly sentimental/message movie misfire, but Glenn has high praise for it and I like Peck and the setting.

No big deal, I guess, as it should show up in a future sale but it kind of seems more compelling to me at the moment compared to anything I actually did order :lol:

Almost tempted to make a small second order...but I know I'd probably regret it.