Reload this Page >

Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.
Print Wikipost

Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
re: Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals

I did wind up picking up a few titles:
  • Death Rides a Horse
  • Trilogy of Terror
  • The Ox-Bow Incident
  • Hannibal (4K)
That last one isn't strictly part of the sale, but I haven't seen a lower price elsewhere, and I like the idea of showing my support by getting it from Kino directly.
Old 04-17-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a hard time getting up the enthusiasm to actually commit to ordering Trilogy Of Terror. I keep planning to, but then I always end up bumping it to shave a few bucks off the total damage.

It sure left a Godzilla sized impression on me as a kid when it was first broadcast, but I have my doubts it will hold up. Especially the final (raison d'être) story. I'm figuring that shock ending is going to lose a lot of impact when it's a foregone, fully anticipated conclusion.
Old 04-21-19, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great prices- was going to pick up Malice, and Unforgettable BUT shipping was $9.00!!! Seriously?? How could it cost that much for standard delivery??? That was a deal killer for me when it costs more to ship items is more than the items themselves!!
why is their shipping so expensive??
peace-
Old 04-21-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by papapauly
Great prices- was going to pick up Malice, and Unforgettable BUT shipping was $9.00!!! Seriously?? How could it cost that much for standard delivery??? That was a deal killer for me when it costs more to ship items is more than the items themselves!!
why is their shipping so expensive??
peace-
Unless the policy has changed, shipping is free on orders of $50 and above. They do use USPS media mail and so $9 is exorbitant for 2 titles.
Old 06-05-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 612 Likes on 450 Posts

In my email box just now:

June Swoon Blu-Ray Sale - Over 280 Blu-rays As Low As $7.99

This one appears to include more products from Kino and their sub-labels, and little to no KL Studio stuff. Still, got some goodies in the cart that I can’t really afford right now

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/junesale19
Old 06-05-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

For me it's possibly the "worst sale ever", -I could only find one item and the prices are generally terrible. With that, and Deep Discount not doing any coupons lately, I'm barely buying anything.
Old 06-05-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I'd really like the RKO "Classic Romances" box for $15.50, but I'm NOT paying $8 shipping for 1 pound media mail & there's no other bargins I can see.
Old 06-05-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I found enough to get to the free shipping, so obviously it’s a “your mileage” situation. Now I just need to debate pulling the trigger. For my money, The Atomic Cafe, Late Great Planet Earth, Microcosmos, Hitch-hiker, Flesh & Blood Show (partial 3D), Spies and some of the Redemption titles are decently priced for titles that don’t drop very often. I do think some of them will be cheaper one day, which is another reason I hesitate, but these particular prices aren’t unreasonable. I do wish the Code Red titles were cheaper but maybe Hamilton will blow those out some day.
Old 06-05-19, 05:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up the following blu-rays:

The Films of Joaquim Pedro de Andrade
Legend of the Mountain
Nostalghia
Personal Problems
Le Pont du Nord

Last edited by Jfunk1; 06-05-19 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Formatting got messed up and hard to read
Old 06-05-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Yes -- the KLSC line should have a sale next month, but this sale seems to be every other line including the first decent sale in a long time on Redemption Titles.

RKO Romance and RKO Adventure Boxsets for $15ea.
As usual the $50 Free Shipping threshold seems to be giving some people fits.
Old 07-24-19, 05:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Site-wide anniversary sale over at KL Classics, which seems to include newest releases and some films that don't seem to get discounted very often. I'm not certain when this ends; hopefully it'll go to my next payday.

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/shop

ETA: It's on their Facebook post, Aug. 4.
Old 07-24-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Some good deals in there - I picked up:

Broken Flowers
The Day After
Running Scared
Hannibal 4K
Old 07-24-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Took a year, but I was finally able to order Purple Plain at a sale price.

I already got one large order off, but I had to take out Gone To Earth/The Wild Heart because I didn't know how long it would take to restock.

I plan to get off another one, almost as large, either tonight or next week before it ends. It's over before my CC billing cycle flips so I can't really kite the payment out the way I did with my Arrow orders earlier this month.
If I can move some more stuff on ebay or Amazon, I'll be tempted to max this fully sale out.

Bad month for trying to save money with the B&N Criterion sale, the earlier Arrow sale, this Kino sale, and for soundtrack collectors- Quartet's yearly 30% off sale.
Old 07-25-19, 02:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up the following blu-rays:

Broken Flowers
Welcome to L.A.
Coming Home
The Landlord
A Fistful of Dynamite
Old 08-04-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone know how to do a "sort by lowest price"? All they're showing is relevance & title.
Old 08-04-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I got:

The Border
Broken Flowers
Highway Patrolman
The Midnight Man
The Silent Partner
Old 10-15-19, 12:52 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Our Halloween Horror Sale Starts Today!
• Over 220 Blu-rays and DVDs - $4.99 and Up!
• Free USA Shipping - Orders of $50 or More!
• Sale Ends Monday October 28th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view...5PmjI2VU-J_DyQ
Old 10-16-19, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone understand the download PURCHASE option offered in the email? I couldn't find price or format. I emailed them Tuesday morning, so far no response.
Old 10-16-19, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Does anyone understand the download PURCHASE option offered in the email? I couldn't find price or format. I emailed them Tuesday morning, so far no response.
There's the KinoNow site, which offers digital purchases.
https://kinonow.com/

They're streams though, not downloads.
https://kinonow.com/faq
We currently offer over 6oo films for rental and purchase. Films can be viewed or purchased online and watched via our site and Roku. We are in process of adding apps so you can view via AppleTV, Amazon Fire, and more.
Old 10-16-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
There's the KinoNow site, which offers digital purchases.
https://kinonow.com/

They're streams though, not downloads.
https://kinonow.com/faq
Thanks for clarifying. I will never pay for streams. I at least want to own the file.
Old 10-16-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

^Agreed. This really sounds like it's doomed.
Old 10-16-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for clarifying. I will never pay for streams. I at least want to own the file.
Even if you have a downloaded file, most of the time you don't "own" it, since it has DRM on it.

The only general-purpose service I know of that sells DRM-free video downloads is Vimeo On-Demand. VHX used to be an option, but they got bought by Vimeo.
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/
https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/arti...-Demand-videos

Otherwise, some companies/films may sell a DRM-free download directly from their site.

With Kino though, they're licensing their content, mostly from major studios, who will never consent to DRM-free distribution.
Old 10-16-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Even if you have a downloaded file, most of the time you don't "own" it, since it has DRM on it.

The only general-purpose service I know of that sells DRM-free video downloads is Vimeo On-Demand. VHX used to be an option, but they got bought by Vimeo.
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/
https://help.vimeo.com/hc/en-us/arti...-Demand-videos

Otherwise, some companies/films may sell a DRM-free download directly from their site.

With Kino though, they're licensing their content, mostly from major studios, who will never consent to DRM-free distribution.
Very bad choice by the studios. Just like the record co's with music in the early days this leaves 1 answer: free downloading. The record co's finally got a clue, but they lost boomers & gen X'ers; only young people stream.
Old 10-17-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Very bad choice by the studios. Just like the record co's with music in the early days this leaves 1 answer: free downloading. The record co's finally got a clue, but they lost boomers & gen X'ers; only young people stream.
I'm not sure this is the thread to debate DRM again, but piracy wasn't the reason the record companies got rid of DRM. They did for two reasons: CDs and iTunes. With CDs, there was already a lossless DRM-free format on the market that anyone could just buy and rip, and music tools from major companies like iTunes often had music ripping built in. Speaking of iTunes, it was the biggest online music store, by far. eMusic was #2, and it had a tiny percentage of the market. Plenty of major players tried their own music stores, but they all failed because Apple used a proprietary DRM for iTunes and iPods, and they weren't sharing. No other DRM format would work on iPods, and no other store sold in that format. The only way to compete with iTunes was to offer DRM-free downloads, which is how eMusic had a foothold despite not having any major record labels for the bulk of its lifespan. Amazon MP3 was the breakthrough, offering DRM-free downloads of major label titles.

Also, while these weren't directly the reasons, the fact that every PC still came with an optical drive helped ripping CDs stay a viable alternative, and music streaming wasn't really a thing yet. People still had standalone music players like iPods, instead of just using their phones. There was "internet radio," but it wasn't on-demand, and it was low bit-rate, and people didn't have the ability to listen to it on the go. The rise of music streaming services recently actually is bringing DRM back, since most of them now let you download music for offline play, but the files are DRM locked.

The movie studios have had a few advantages over the music industry that have let DRM stay viable. For one, movies are much, much larger files, and you typically want the full movie to watch. Napster and others thrived when bandwidth was low, but music is often listened to on a "per song" basis, so many weren't even downloading full albums, just individual songs. So downloading pirated movies never quite became quite as popular as pirated music. Also, since DVD, all the digital video disc formats have had DRM built in, which meant there isn't an "easy rip" alternative to digital streaming/downloads. Sure, there's tools available if you look, but nothing built into iTunes for ripping DVDs/BDs/UHD BDs. Not to mention that optical drives were on the way out by the time it became realistically feasible to store all your movies on a harddrive, and harddrive space is still a concern for many, with laptops becoming more popular, even tablets, over a desktop with large internal storage, or even external drives. Movie studios also figured out that providing a DRM-locked "digital copy" with their discs removed most people's desires to rip the discs.

Movie studios also figured out the hardware lock-in issue of proprietary DRM formats via cross-platform authentication services like UltraViolet and Movies Anywhere. Your movies aren't locked to the hardware, or even the digital store, you bought them from. This more flexible DRM is even promoted as an advantage, since you can stream anywhere a movie you own. Likewise, streaming has become a much more viable option. I think many people maybe even prefer the actual movies being "in the cloud" that they stream down, instead of having to manage actual files on at least one of their devices.

It also helps that subscription streaming services like Netflix have gotten people used to video streaming, and most people don't rewatch movies all that often, compared to music where people relisten to the same song/album much more.

So while I'd personally like to have DRM-free copies of movies I own, I don't see movie studios switching to DRM-free anytime soon, since the factors that caused record companies to switch just aren't there for video.

As for demographics, this study shows that the real competitor to music streaming among the older generations is still radio.
https://musicbiz.org/wp-content/uplo...US_2018_V5.pdf
Old 10-17-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some day, I'll consider switching to streaming. May not have a choice. I've always liked the concept, the ease of use, the not having a bunch of files to manage on a hard drive that might not last. DRM doesn't factor into it much, because much of what I'd watch on streaming (and do watch, sometimes, via my girlfriend's Netflix account) I wouldn't want to own anyway. A couple of years back, I put a bunch of long-unused digital copies on my laptop (and now my desktop) and have yet to ever watch one all the way through, so I stopped with that. I'm a admitted dinosaur who, for now, happily still buys discs (including MANY of Kino's) and until I've made quantifiable headway through the mountains of them that I've amassed, I can't justify switching. Once I've come closer to finalizing a "permanent collection" of discs (many of my purchases end up on Amazon Marketplace after viewing), I'll probably move to streaming, but even then I'll be hesitant because I don't think having to sign up to multiple services (like this new one from Kino) that collectively cost more than a cable/satellite bill just to see all the content that might interest me is a wise expenditure. Time will tell.

That said, a small haul from this sale:

4-D MAN Blu - $11.99*
DEAD OF NIGHT Blu - $12.49*
HOUSE OF SEVEN GABLES Blu - $8.99
DEATH SHIP Blu - $11.99*
MURDER ROCK Blu - $13.49
NIGHT STALKER DVD - $7.99
NIGHT STRANGLER DVD - $7.99
THE PSYCHOPATH DVD - $7.99

* Following on my thoughts above, these marked titles will be kept for sure, as I've owned them previously on DVD and do revisit them on occasion. The rest are semi-blind buys that I've read a LOT about over the years, or movies I partially on TV as a kid, etc. I just want to check them off the list and the Toronto Library system doesn't have them, nor are they all easily streamed in Canada. There's about an 80% chance they'll be resold on the Marketplace.

Last edited by Brian T; 10-17-19 at 11:16 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.