Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only.
Print Wikipost

Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals

Old 04-20-24, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 836 Likes on 704 Posts
Re: Kino Lorber & KL Studio Classics sales, discounts, and deals

I think Kino tries but they are simply releasing too much stuff these days to hunt down the best elements for each disc they put out.
Old 04-20-24, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think Kino tries but they are simply releasing too much stuff these days to hunt down the best elements for each disc they put out.
They used to do a very good job. Frustrating, that they'd use a subpar print when a better one existed for a $30 box set. From my perspective, the issues started when they merged with Lorber (or started using the Lorber name). On this film, the amount of grain in dark scenes is awful. The Roan does not have that problem.

I used to rank Kino very close to Criterion & MOC. No longer.................. If they are going to be a non boutique PD label, I'd like to see them price the product accordingly.
Old 04-21-24, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
In case anyone in addition to me cares, I just did a QUICK comparison between the best of the DVD set's (the out of print Roan) & the Kino blu. I just checked the 1st film. Kino is sharper due to the 28mbs bit rate as opposed to 7 mbs (not bad for a dvd). Unfortunately, Roan used a MUCH HIGHER QUALITY print. Not sure which will become my "go to". Really depressing that Kino used such a crummy print. I would not want to watch the Kino on DVD, it would be quite inferior to the Roan.

Also the Roan has one extra film, "Phantom of China Town", where Jimmy Keyes replaced Karloff (the last of the series). Neither The Kino or the Roan includes the Bela Lugosi Spinoff.
Based on your comments I pulled out my Roan copy of the Mr. Wong set for a comparison. IMHO, the Kino is the winner. It's missing the video roll (mainly noticeable in dark scenes or fades to black) present in the Roan and the contrast is just a bit better - less black crush. There's still gate weave and damage present - just like on the Roan. Even though I think it's a small improvement over the Roan, it's not as good as I was expecting based on other Kino releases of similar vintage films. I *do* know, based on comments from a Kino Insider on another forum, that they don't get a choice of source and are beholden on the licensing entity providing the print (in this case, Paramount). Sometimes they do restoration and sometimes not. For a 5 film set of "B" movies that's selling at a fairly low price I doubt they'd have done much work on the prints, if any at all (and it looks like none was done).

That said, I *do* prefer the Kino to the Roan by a slim margin. And I'll keep the Roan set simply because it includes the Mr. Wong film with Keye Luke as Wong.
Old 04-21-24, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Based on your comments I pulled out my Roan copy of the Mr. Wong set for a comparison. IMHO, the Kino is the winner. It's missing the video roll (mainly noticeable in dark scenes or fades to black) present in the Roan and the contrast is just a bit better - less black crush. There's still gate weave and damage present - just like on the Roan. Even though I think it's a small improvement over the Roan, it's not as good as I was expecting based on other Kino releases of similar vintage films. I *do* know, based on comments from a Kino Insider on another forum, that they don't get a choice of source and are beholden on the licensing entity providing the print (in this case, Paramount). Sometimes they do restoration and sometimes not. For a 5 film set of "B" movies that's selling at a fairly low price I doubt they'd have done much work on the prints, if any at all (and it looks like none was done).

That said, I *do* prefer the Kino to the Roan by a slim margin. And I'll keep the Roan set simply because it includes the Mr. Wong film with Keye Luke as Wong.
Does your Kino set not have the gray static on all dark scenes that mine does? That's why I'm rating the Roan so high by comparison; the Roan doesn't have the gray static. Both sets played on an Oppo 95 into a Sony X85/55 by HDMI.
Old 04-22-24, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does your Kino set not have the gray static on all dark scenes that mine does? That's why I'm rating the Roan so high by comparison; the Roan doesn't have the gray static. Both sets played on an Oppo 95 into a Sony X85/55 by HDMI.
I've not seen any abnormalities like that. I'm using an LG BP175 Br player on a ~6yo 43" Samsung TV (all image enhancements are disabled - everything's a manual setting using color bars). The improvement in image of the Kino over the Roan is slight - but is an improvement. Dark scenes look pretty normal for the overall poor quality of the source and there *is* lots of grain (as expected) but at a normal viewing distance that pretty much goes away.

The first film, Mr. Wong Detective, has been the worst looking so far. I've watched it, The Mystery of Mr. Wong, and Mr. Wong in Chinatown so far. The last two appear to be sourced from slightly better masters and are a bit cleaner looking than the first film in the series. It's not a significant improvement and you'd likely not notice unless paying attention.
Old 04-23-24, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On my system, there's a HUGE quality difference between films 1 & 2.. #2 has a little throbbing between the blacks & whites (for lack of a better term), but other than the first couple minutes, he extreme grain in the dark scenes of #1 is gone, & it’s definitely a major upgrade from the Roan.
Old 04-23-24, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Staying with Mr Wong, so far each film has had better picture quality than the previous. I'm on #3 now, & the quality is excellent for a 60+ year old Monogram. Shame #1 is such poor quality.
Old 04-24-24, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Staying with Mr Wong, so far each film has had better picture quality than the previous. I'm on #3 now, & the quality is excellent for a 60+ year old Monogram. Shame #1 is such poor quality.
I returned to say I've rewatched the first 3 and observed the same thing on the rewatch - the PQ improves with each film. I'm watching #4 right now and it's better than #3 (not by much - but still better, though there *is* some bloom in some scenes). Like you, I wish the first was at least as good as the second but it is what it is. At least I don't see the anomalies on that one that you're seeing. Have you tried a different player just in case?

I only compared the first film to the same film in the Roan set. Based on that one film I can safely say the Roan will only be used for the sixth film with Keye Luke as it's sadly not in the Kino.
Old 04-24-24, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I returned to say I've rewatched the first 3 and observed the same thing on the rewatch - the PQ improves with each film. I'm watching #4 right now and it's better than #3 (not by much - but still better, though there *is* some bloom in some scenes). Like you, I wish the first was at least as good as the second but it is what it is. At least I don't see the anomalies on that one that you're seeing. Have you tried a different player just in case?

I only compared the first film to the same film in the Roan set. Based on that one film I can safely say the Roan will only be used for the sixth film with Keye Luke as it's sadly not in the Kino.
This gray static on dark scenes is not normal for the Oppo. It also didn't happen at all on film #3. To answer your ?, no I haven't tried my other player. I found #4 to have the problem in places, but not as bad as #1.