Arrow Video Sales Thread

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Arrow Video Sales Thread

Old 07-22-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts
Arrow Video Sales Thread

From their tweet:

You asked for it and we're about to deliver! The Arrow Video Summer Sale arrives tomorrow with up to 60% off some titles! Some offers on titles will be limited so get in fast!

Check back on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram early for the link!
Old 07-22-18, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
re: Arrow Video Sales Thread (ArrowFilms.com & ArrowVideo.com)

Originally Posted by Brian T
From their tweet:
depending on you, BrianT for the link tomorrow as I have no Facebook, Twitter or Instagram account :-)
Old 07-22-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, just in case I fail in my mission -- random Tweets show up as notifications on my phone, but I don't always spot them right away -- you should be able to read Arrow's Facebook page without an account. I'm rarely logged in there anyway when I check out posts from them, Shout, Vinegar Syndrome, etc.
Old 07-22-18, 10:06 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

https://arrowfilms.com/shop/arrow-su...ale-2018/?pi=1

Check above link on Monday.
Old 07-23-18, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

"You asked for it and we're about to deliver! The Arrow Video Summer Sale arrives tomorrow with up to 60% off some titles! Some offers on titles will be limited so get in fast!

Check back on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram early for the link!"

If this is 60% off, the titles that interest me are more expensive then Criterion! HUH????
Old 07-23-18, 07:24 AM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

I can never remember how it works with what is Region A, B or free for them. If they released it in the US, their UK release is Region A right? Even if the site says Region B on the details.

I'm interested in:
Images
Cinema Paradiso
House - I, II, III, IV
Season of the Witch
There's Always Vanilla
Shivers
Blind Woman's Curse
Old 07-23-18, 08:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the heads up.. Bought Bound, Train, Audition, Dark Water, Rififfi, Blade of the Immortal and Day of the Jackal - all for $78 shipped.. that's about $11 a movie! About as cheap as Arrow releases will get, imho.

And yes, I am pretty sure if these say region B then it will be region B locked.
Old 07-23-18, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I can never remember how it works with what is Region A, B or free for them. If they released it in the US, their UK release is Region A right? Even if the site says Region B on the details.

I'm interested in:
Images
Cinema Paradiso
House - I, II, III, IV
Season of the Witch
There's Always Vanilla
Shivers
Blind Woman's Curse
That's mainly true for them, but I know there are some exceptions. I purchased Spider Baby before it was released here, and it's locked to region B.
Old 07-23-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I purchased Spider Baby before it was released here, and it's locked to region B.
Is this certain? I could swear I bought the UK edition and it was 'Region A/B locked' or something like that. Pretty sure I played it with no issues.

Arrow has quite a few titles listed on their site that are actually Region Free. Presumably they keep it hush-hush for contractual reasons or some such? I don't have a complete list off the top of my head and I'm not at home, so it might be worth googling titles you're interested in.

DePalma's OBSESSION definitely is All Region, as were all the HOUSE films in that collection.
Old 07-23-18, 12:46 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Spider Baby, Blind Woman's Curse, Pit Stop, Cinema Paradiso, Day of the Jackal are all Region B. Some of these came out months or years before the US release. --Peter
Old 07-23-18, 12:53 PM

Obsession and the first House are definitely region free.

There was one release, I forget which one now, that came up with a screen that said "Region A & B Only"...and wouldn't play unless I switched my player to Region B (though I'm pretty sure the back of the case stated Region B).

Peter
Old 07-23-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

There is no real easy method to know if one of their UK releases is region-free or not. You just have to hunt down reviews on various sites. What often happened in the early days is that they would release a region-locked version in the UK and release a region-free set in America when they got the US rights.
Old 07-23-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

I'm interested in:
Images
Cinema Paradiso
House - I, II, III, IV
Season of the Witch
There's Always Vanilla
Shivers
Blind Woman's Curse
Generally speaking, if they released it both in the US and UK at around the same time, it is region free.

There's Always Vanila and Season of the Witch are region A playable. Not sure about Shivers, there is conflicting info on that one. I think the current version (2017 release) is Region A compatible. The first release in 2014 was Region B locked. Images is Region A compatible as well.

Also PSA for those who don't know. If you have a Panasonic Bluray player, you can unlock a lot of these Arrow Region B locked Blurays with a simple press of the STOP + TOP MENU Button.
Old 07-23-18, 03:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Picked up the following blu-rays:

THE THING
THE R. W. FASSBINDER EARLY WORKS
DAVID CRONENBERG'S EARLY WORKS
THE FIREMAN'S BALL
WITHNAIL AND I
THE LONG GOODBYE
CINEMA PARADISO 25TH ANNIVERSAY REMASTERED EDITION
OBSESSION
THE FURY
Old 07-23-18, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Generally speaking, if they released it both in the US and UK at around the same time, it is region free.

There's Always Vanila and Season of the Witch are region A playable. Not sure about Shivers, there is conflicting info on that one. I think the current version (2017 release) is Region A compatible. The first release in 2014 was Region B locked. Images is Region A compatible as well.

Also PSA for those who don't know. If you have a Panasonic Bluray player, you can unlock a lot of these Arrow Region B locked Blurays with a simple press of the STOP + TOP MENU Button.
That trick has worked on all region B Arrow titles I have and most of my other region locked titles. It's certainly not a full proof solution, especially depending on the company, but it has served me well.
Old 07-23-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
"You asked for it and we're about to deliver! The Arrow Video Summer Sale arrives tomorrow with up to 60% off some titles! Some offers on titles will be limited so get in fast!

Check back on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram early for the link!"

If this is 60% off, the titles that interest me are more expensive then Criterion! HUH????
The prices have dropped since my post above (I thought it was Monday in the UK, & the page indicated the sale was on). I may nab some Fassbinders.
Old 07-23-18, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could easily spend $300 here. I don't really have it. Does anyone have knowledge on if the Fassbinder blu-rays are a more recent restoration than the Arrow dvd boxes (I asked Arrow that ? last sale & they didn't reply). Also, does anyone know if the Fassbinders' & Woody Allen's are region free? My Oppo will play R"b", but it's not going to live forever (The player is 6 1/2 years old).

There's a Fassbinder TV series I've never heard of before that's also of interest, though it's a bit pricy (30 pounds). I collect Fassbinder, & since I can't read German I must get subtitled versions).
Old 07-23-18, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One other question: does anyone know the ending date?
Old 07-23-18, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered:
Audition BR
Society BR
Pulse BR
Mutilator BR

Glad to be completely region free!
Old 07-23-18, 08:48 PM

I have the 1st Woody Allen box set, but haven't watched any of them yet - I put in Bananas and it was Region B only, so I suspect the rest of the Allen titles are locked as well. [As a side note, the hardbound booklet is pretty spiffy on the Allen set!]

I'm also fairly certain all the Fassbinders are Region B only...and almost certainly the same transfers as found in their box set.

Peter
Old 07-23-18, 09:47 PM

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Can confirm all the Woody Allen flicks are Region B
Old 07-23-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I may limit myself to the previously unreleased Fassbinder mini series if the transfers are just higher bit rate versions of the old dvd boxes. (though I'm hesitant to spend $50 or so with shipping on 1 set, as I also want the November Criterion Bergman box & the upcoming very pricey Jimi Hendrix SACD's & have had to pass on 2 limited edition music cd mega boxes I really wanted due to finances).

I'm very open to more input on he Fassbinder transfers if anyone has actually compared the old Arrow dvd boxes to the current blu-rays.
Old 07-23-18, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw that Criterion is releasing Eight Hours Don't Make A Day in October at a lower price. I'm going to wait on that; possibly get it during the Nov 50% sale for $25. It's currently at $38 on Amazon.
Old 07-23-18, 10:27 PM

I've seen one or two of the Arrow Fassbinder blu-rays - picture quality looked fine to me; high bit-rates - I would assume quality is on par with the Criterion blu-rays. --peter
Old 07-24-18, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Proglodite
I've seen one or two of the Arrow Fassbinder blu-rays - picture quality looked fine to me; high bit-rates - I would assume quality is on par with the Criterion blu-rays. --peter
Thank you!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.