Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 06-11-18, 03:31 PM   #1

Any info on next B and N criterion sale yet?

Anyone?
Thanks
Old 06-11-18, 03:41 PM   #2
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Any info on next B and N criterion sale yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papapauly View Post
Anyone?
Thanks

What kind of sale?

BN Criterion rumored sale date 7/3 - 7/30 -- single report via Reddit, but from a poster with a good track record

Based on past sales, the 40% sale should be starting tomorrow through next Monday, but I can't get anyone at BN to confirm if it's alive or dead or later. I guess at worst we'll find out a little after Midnight ET
Old 06-11-18, 09:23 PM   #3

Thanks
Old 06-12-18, 12:14 PM   #4

Reports are that the 40% off Bluray sale is in-store now, but Criterions and Disney aren't included. Store Coupons appear to be working though sparse other details and no indication whether they plan to add an online component like most sales.

With the Criterion sale in a couple weeks it makes a little sense to restrict them in June though it's always hit or miss.
Old 06-12-18, 05:29 PM   #5
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Popped into the Huntington Beach, SoCal store. Only a select set of titles were 40% off with some others being 50% off. At least, there were no signs for a store wide 40% off, this was about an hour ago
Old 06-12-18, 05:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Popped into the Huntington Beach, SoCal store. Only a select set of titles were 40% off with some others being 50% off. At least, there were no signs for a store wide 40% off, this was about an hour ago
Apparently this morning there were no signs, but items were ringing up 40% off -- except for the Disney/Criterion stuff. I don't know if they're saving the signs for later or just doing a secret sale.

If you are close by it might be worth having them scan a couple items just to check. I'm also not sure if their In-store computer kiosk will report sale prices, but it's worth a shot. The computer has been pretty nice to check prices on ship to home items when I wasn't sure they were on sale in the past

Ship to Home were working on the items the poster tried as well so at least the system thinks they're having some sort of bigger sale. It's just strange to be hiding one of their bigger sales, but it also may explain why even my reliable snitches couldn't really tell me anything.

Last edited by hariseldon; 06-12-18 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-12-18, 07:19 PM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

It's only a few weeks before the 50% sale. I'd just wait it out.
Old 06-12-18, 07:56 PM   #8

For Criterions -- not a problem though some folks wanted to try extra coupons which can be OK during the 40% but not 50% sale in the past. A couple International
folks are in the country this week, but not July so they really were hoping to grab a bunch of titles to carry home (or mail themselves saving lots of money)

Of course for things other than Criterion waiting won't help unless you wait until December
Old 06-13-18, 04:14 PM   #9

Sale definitely in-place in store, but it looks like none of the employees were notified yesterday adn kind of found out as the customers showed up. A bit of a correction today.

There were at least signs in store today though they were HomeMade version and not the usual professional signs. Looks like someone hit their computer made a simple sign, then printed them on standard white printer paper and ran off a bunch of copies. They were taped them on all the doors, Customer Service, the Media department, the cafe -- looked like my elementary school when Fall Festival was about to happen except lower quality signs.

40% All Blu-ray and DVD through July 17th
Excludes Disney, Marvel, and the Criterion Collection.

I think it said July 17, but normally it goes through Monday. Maybe a misprint or they decided to end it after Fathers Day. Regular coupons were working. 40% discount was applying to Ship to Home orders so I ended up with a bunch of Warner Archive
items released since Christmas many/most which likely won't be part of a 4/44 sale until November. Nice to be able to get them for under $11-12 now instead of waiting.
Old 06-13-18, 10:34 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

I open my mouth about waiting for the 50% sale and .... TORNADO. The only BN store that has media in my area.

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/...d=500837996296
Old 06-13-18, 10:47 PM   #11

I'm not seeing anything in your photo link -- it seems to bounce to the home page of photobox instead of you pics.

A literal TORNADO or metaphorical event?
I can pull up some local news with Tornado Warning in the pittsburgh area so I assuming the former.
I hope the People are all OK.

I grew up in Middle of the South-eastern tornado alley so I've been far too close to way too many of them. There was an apartment and housing complex about 5 miles from the house I grew up that got direct hits 3 times in 3 decades -- I have no idea why they keep rebuilding it and even more than people keep moving back in. I absolutely believe in Tornado Slots that for whatever reason are 1000x more likely to get hit.
Old 06-13-18, 10:58 PM   #12
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, an actual tornado took the media section in the back of the store out lol. We never get tornadoes like this in NEPA.

Old 06-13-18, 11:51 PM   #13

Ouch.

A few years ago a tornado ripped through the town I went to college in 3+ decades ago.
The Apartment I lived in for 3 years took a direct hit and this is what was left.
When I saw the pic I starting shaking even though it had been 30 years

Spoiler:

If you look in center (the Pool) and follow the Ground Scar to about 1 oclock on the diamond that was my apartment -- so literally the upper right corner of the EF4+ tornado walked into my door. Not surprisingly several people died in that complex and quite a few others in city. All I can say it it could have been far worse -- it missed the huge Mall at 5pm by a couple blocks, the Main Hospital by 1/4 mile, skirted the University campus and missed almost everything, plus went in between or around 4 elementary schools and after schools daycares. I saw the video and this thing was a monster.

60 miles later it hit that Apartment/SubDivision Complex in the town I grew up in for the 3rd time. I think they calculated ground time form this thing over 3-4 hours over several hundred of miles and went almost across the whole state

Spoiler:

A bit more zoomed out -- in the lower left was a Low Income Housing project with dozens of families. Just above the Center of the pic a little to the left of the SW corner of the Apartment was a National Guard Armory -- apparently several of the large trucks were carried through the apartment and ended up in a subdivision in the top right corner of the picture.
Old 06-14-18, 07:04 AM   #14
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Yep, an actual tornado took the media section in the back of the store out lol. We never get tornadoes like this in NEPA.

Is that the Wilkes Barre B&N? My ex-wife's family was up there so I visited that store a good handful of times.
Old 06-14-18, 11:37 AM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Hariseldon that sucks.At least no one was killed last night. We've never had a storm like that here before. It's a relatively small valley. Most of the businesses were damaged very badly. Car dealership had dozens of cars flipped upside down. A flower tent was within 100ft or so of this and didn't move at all. Go figure.

Joltman ... yep, the back of the Wilkes-Barre store.
Old 06-14-18, 11:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Hariseldon that sucks.At least no one was killed last night. We've never had a storm like that here before..
At least that's some good news

Even though i know Hurricanes and general floods are a lot more dangerous, there's just something scarier to me about Tornadoes and Earthquakes -- like spiders and snakes vs bees and ants