Family Video Warner valentine sale including some digibooks

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Old 01-25-18, 09:46 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

https://www.familyvideo.com/deals/valentine-s-day-sale

Some warner digibooks are a good price like Big parade and Giant and some others for 8.98
Some have gone out of stock but might be replenished.

Use code WELCOME17091 for another 10 percent off and order 25 dollar worth for free shipping.

Also there is warner showcase sale where there are some good prices
https://www.familyvideo.com/deals/showcase-sale
Shawshank redemption seems to be 5.98 if it is the digibook version as well
https://www.familyvideo.com/the-shaw...-352710-13-618

Last edited by g; 01-25-18 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 10:58 PM

Re: Family Video Warner valentine sale including some digibooks

In for Rebel w/o Cause, Giant and Big Parade...and snagged East of Eden off Amazon for just a smidgen more (somehow these Dean digipacks came out under my radar). --Peter
Old 01-25-18, 11:36 PM
g

Big Parade has a cool extra: the 1925 studio tour which convinced me to get it as well. And the book part is one of the better ones according to reviews.
Old 01-26-18, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
In for Rebel w/o Cause, Giant and Big Parade...and snagged East of Eden off Amazon for just a smidgen more (somehow these Dean digipacks came out under my radar). --Peter
Some of the Big Lots have Rebel for $5 at the moment.
Old 01-26-18, 02:03 AM

Wish I could find $25 I wanted in these titles at these prices. Gravity, Giant & Big Parade are it for me. I'm still 2.06 short before the 10%. Anyone know what the difference is between the 2 br's of Giant other than the price?
Old 01-26-18, 02:18 AM
g

The digibook version is 8.99 and non digibook is 13.99. May only be a packaging difference but not sure.
Old 01-27-18, 02:37 AM

I ended up biting. All b-r:

Gravity
The Big Parade
Gone With The Wind (I hope I like it, I've never been able to sit all the way through it; but it got the free shipping; so I'm treating it like I paid $3.00)
East Of Eden

Giant is showing Out Of Stock, or I would have grabbed that instead of Gravity & Gone With The Wind.

If I remember right, I did one order from them a long time ago & shipping time was very slow.
Old 02-01-18, 10:29 PM

Interestingly so far they've sent 3 of the 4 films in 2 separate packages.

While so far (I'm only a little ways into it) I'm a bit bored with Big Parade. It's an excellent restoration. I'm surprised there has so far (I haven't read the accompanying book yet) 0 talk of any restoration. This looks 90% as good as The Artist or Blancanieves (both silents made in the last few years)
Old 02-02-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Big Parade was restored in 1988, then again in 2005 or so, and yet again in 2012 (-ish?) to take advantage of Blu-ray capabilities and play some festival dates. The disc came out in 2013. I do recall some articles and a smattering of discussions at some forums in those latter periods (much like most silent film discussions here, they trailed off quickly), but overall I'm sure that kind of 'event' wasn't really of much interest to the public at large. I think a LOT of restorations essentially fly under the radar in this regard, with only fest screenings and -- if we're lucky these days -- disc releases to mark the occasions.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr...-fest-20130424

There's an article about the 2005 restoration here, but I think special privileges are required:
https://muse.jhu.edu/issue/10233
Old 02-02-18, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
Big Parade was restored in 1988, then again in 2005 or so, and yet again in 2012 (-ish?) to take advantage of Blu-ray capabilities and play some festival dates. The disc came out in 2013. I do recall some articles and a smattering of discussions at some forums in those latter periods (much like most silent film discussions here, they trailed off quickly), but overall I'm sure that kind of 'event' wasn't really of much interest to the public at large. I think a LOT of restorations essentially fly under the radar in this regard, with only fest screenings and -- if we're lucky these days -- disc releases to mark the occasions.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr...-fest-20130424

There's an article about the 2005 restoration here, but I think special privileges are required:
https://muse.jhu.edu/issue/10233
Thanks BrianT. I've been reading from the Muse site all morning on The Fall of Jerusalem and its identification. Really interesting stuff.
Old 02-02-18, 08:40 PM

Turns out the booklet & back cover do discuss the restoration. I was surprised there was no feature on the disc. At any rate, for an original silent, the picture quality is close to amazing.
Old 02-09-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what kind of an Order status tracking system does Family Video have ? I received an email stating one of the 4 items was on Back Order with an assumption that the order would not ship until all items were in stock. Today I received two items in individual packages, with no prior shipment notification. When you check order status on their site, there's no tracking information for the shipped items. There's no back order status showing on the notification I received. All four of them show 'Ordered' and 'Invoiced' under the 'Quantity' column. I have no idea what the status of the other two items are. Checked my spam folder and nada
Old 02-09-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Same here. I got a backorder on one of the three items I ordered and then one of the in-stock items showed up a day ago.

Note: Two days later I got the "out of stock" item. Now I'm waiting for the last item ...

Last edited by DWilson; 02-10-18 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 10:00 PM

I got 2 packages on the same day last week with 2 items in 1 & 1 in the other. Got an email yesterday that the 4th item had finally shipped. I never got shipping notices or tracking on the first 2 packages, but got racking on this one.

The book in Big Parade was more interesting than the movie (that's not saying that much though!) I wish that amazing restoration had gone to a better film. Speaking of Fox silents, I just read a William Fox biography. Wish they could find a quality copy of Theda Bara's Cleopatra.

I remember something or another was mildly fubarred with the other order I placed with them, but it fionally worked out.