Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-03-22, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dex14
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/

BLU-RAY SCHEDULE

We list new arrivals on our website once every four weeks. The new receipt schedule is below. Each date is a Monday, and titles appear on the website in the early evening.
2024 Schedule:
1/8/24
2/5/24
3/4/24
4/1/24
4/29/24
5/27/24
6/24/24
7/22/24
8/19/24
9/16/24
10/14/24
11/11/24
12/9/24
Print Wikipost

Hamilton Book (Blu-ray Bargains)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
re: Hamilton Book (Blu-ray Bargains)

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
This is a DVD, but I couldn't find an HB thread in dvd's. They have Wonder Years Compete Series for $25. I paid a whole lot more than that.

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-won...ete-series-dvd
Wow! Me too! Since I've only watched S1 so far it makes me wish I'd waited. Of course if I had it'd now be OOP and very expensive.
Old 10-23-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Wow! Me too! Since I've only watched S1 so far it makes me wish I'd waited. Of course if I had it'd now be OOP and very expensive.
Of course. It always seems to work out that way!
Old 10-23-19, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Quality fairly good for this series on DVD? Better than broadcast quality?
Old 10-23-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
This review says not quite broadcast quality:
https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/71307/wonder-years-the/

This review calls it "watchable," although it bizarrely thinks the show was originally mastered on VHS.
https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/6647...te-series-the/

There's reviews for the individual seasons as well, but they all say about the same in terms of video quality.
https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/list...wonder%20years

There's also the original discussion thread, where the actual releases start getting discussed around page 17:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/4...-works-17.html

Old 10-23-19, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been at least a couple of years since I watched it so I don't remember for sure. I recall it looking good - at least as good as broadcast quality - more than acceptable for sure. I worked for an ABC affiliate during the years it originally aired and don't recall it looking all that good back then - even on broadcast quality monitors in a control room viewing the live feed. It was shot on 16mm so isn't going to look as good as a 35mm product. Time-Life isn't exactly known for high quality DVD mastering either so there's that to consider. I'm constantly amazed at the premium they charge for generally average looking product.

That said, If you've seen it and like it I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a copy, especially at this price. Even as a blind buy I'd say it's worth the asking price of ~$30 after shipping. That's only $5/season (OK... S1 is very short, but still...). I could just about live with PD quality transfers for that price and it's much better than that.
Old 10-24-19, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's been at least a couple of years since I watched it so I don't remember for sure. I recall it looking good - at least as good as broadcast quality - more than acceptable for sure. I worked for an ABC affiliate during the years it originally aired and don't recall it looking all that good back then - even on broadcast quality monitors in a control room viewing the live feed. It was shot on 16mm so isn't going to look as good as a 35mm product. Time-Life isn't exactly known for high quality DVD mastering either so there's that to consider. I'm constantly amazed at the premium they charge for generally average looking product.

That said, If you've seen it and like it I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a copy, especially at this price. Even as a blind buy I'd say it's worth the asking price of ~$30 after shipping. That's only $5/season (OK... S1 is very short, but still...). I could just about live with PD quality transfers for that price and it's much better than that.
It's the best version I've ever seen (I know that isn't saying alot...)
Old 10-24-19, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.

This review calls it "watchable," although it bizarrely thinks the show was originally mastered on VHS.

There's reviews for the individual seasons as well, but they all say about the same in terms of video quality.

There's also the original discussion thread, where the actual releases start getting discussed around page 17:
It's been a couple years, but I have 0 memory of feeling that they were VHS quality.
Old 10-24-19, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.

It's the best version I've ever seen (I know that isn't saying alot...)
It's been a couple years, but I have 0 memory of feeling that they were VHS quality.
Awesome, thanks guys. Gonna get it. I grew up with that series and it's hard to find, even on cable channels.
Old 10-24-19, 05:30 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Awesome, thanks guys. Gonna get it. I grew up with that series and it's hard to find, even on cable channels.
Just an FYI: The Wonder Years is available for streaming on HULU.
Old 10-25-19, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A few years back, I spent over $50 on a bad bootleg copy missing most of the music. It was a truly great series; & I was the same age as Kevin within a year or so in the years it is set in; so I really could relate.

When the TL came out; the complete set was well over over $100; so I bought it 1 season at a time. My total spent was somewhere between $65-100.
Old 10-25-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When the TL came out; the complete set was well over over $100; so I bought it 1 season at a time. My total spent was somewhere between $65-100.
I, too, did that. Looking at my records I spent right at $100 for the series - and I've only watched the first 2 seasons so far (I think... may have only watched the first). My oldest grandson came in while I was watching and was totally engrossed by the show asking all kinds of questions. Since I was a year older than Kevin during the years depicted in the series I could tell him for sure when things were right or wrong and that mostly that's how things really were.
Old 10-25-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I never watched the bootleg (which is now in the garbage can), but I did watch the series dvd's sets as I boughtthem. One of my fav all time shows, because like Bob I was there.
Old 11-19-19, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

New items are in; includes a bunch of MVD titles, some Drafthouse and some OOP Shout/Scream Factory stuff

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/product...&power_search=
Old 11-19-19, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got that email. It appears that Hamilton has given up on low pricing. Their prices in the last few batches are within about 15% in both directions of other retailers.
Old 11-20-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got that email. It appears that Hamilton has given up on low pricing. Their prices in the last few batches are within about 15% in both directions of other retailers.
Depends on what it is. Some things are some aren't.
Old 11-20-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Seems like you have a false understanding of Hamilton Book's business model.
Old 11-21-19, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Seems like you have a false understanding of Hamilton Book's business model.
I remember a year or 2 ago where they were pretty much off price overstocks.
Old 11-21-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I remember a year or 2 ago where they were pretty much off price overstocks.
I'm a bit new to Hamilton Books, but based on a discussion I'm following in another forum, it appears in addition to the overstocks they've always had, they started selling front-list titles for certain genre distributors, based on some users requesting they carry them so they can buy them from Hamilton as add-ons to their overstock orders, instead of Amazon. There's still overstock titles there, but it's no longer exclusively overstocks.

Also, Hamilton has gotten a lot more popular in the past few years, and overstock titles are selling out faster. Additionally, some people apparently saw the prices on Hamilton and asked other retailers to price match, causing some friction between other retailers and the distributors because the other retailers weren't getting these heavy discounts on the stock they had. This may have dialed back how deep a discount Hamilton can offer on certain titles.
Old 11-21-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

If you're shopping on Price alone, you may do good elsewhere. If you're shopping on Price AND Customer service, shop EHB. You won't regret it, they're a wonderful company
Old 11-21-19, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
If you're shopping on Price alone, you may do good elsewhere. If you're shopping on Price AND Customer service, shop EHB. You won't regret it, they're a wonderful company
This. Exactly.
Old 11-21-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

If you know what you are doing, they have some great CD bargains.
Old 11-24-19, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hamilton is kind of unique in that it is a remainder media dealer that also carries new product. I think they have a great selection and price on both, I find they're VERY competitive on new product like specialty labels. They are definitely getting a lot more of the boutique Blu-Ray stuff, I'm guessing those labels are looking for other outlets to sell via.
Old 12-17-19, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

New stock and price drops right now >I mean right fukin now.
I'm still looking, not sure if any good deals.
Old 12-17-19, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

The best deals look to be the first two seasons of 12 Monkeys for $7.95. Paid a lot more for that when they first came out. The last two seasons remain stubbornly high.
Old 12-17-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

There are 3 or 4 Cohen Media films on sale for $9.95

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.