Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale 2017!

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hariseldon
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

20% Off Single Item Online
D4M8K3B
-- Unknown Expiration. Could be 11/24 or it could be Dec 31 exp

Store Only Coupon
25% Off One Item
coupon is valid at Barnes & Noble stores from November 24, 2017 to November 26, 2017 at close of business.

ONLINE ONLY
GIVETHANKS
valid 11/23 through 11/26 -- I'm guessing ending 11:59pm PT though it's possible they'll stop it ET and start a Cybermonday code

DAYMAKER 20% off $50 or more
Expires November 22, 2017 at 11:59pm Eastern Time.

Some possible upcoming codes
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale 2017!

Old 07-13-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale 2017!

Why would Criterion tax ANY state? As of this moment, companies are only required to charge tax in states where they have a physical presence. Are they worried about lawsuits from certain greedy politicians?
Old 07-13-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't have a single mailer coupon sent to me from BN other than the 15JULY2017 code. Then again, I never get coupons from them which upsets me a bit.
Old 07-14-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

This will definitely be my final year of B&N membership. Just doesn't bear any value save for some 8 20%off coupons every year of which only 4 come in during Criterion sales. Not unless one purchases $99MSRP sets, can one maximize the benefits. If Amazon continues to have sale prices thru the year like they do now, it only makes the case against B&N membership so much more valid.
Old 07-14-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hariseldon
There's the Master BN Coupon Thread that's been with all the currently available coupons.

It can't help you with the Mailer coupons or missing email coupons, but that's been a problem for years too
Thanks.

As far as those who are thinking about giving up the membership after their current one it's a simple question of economics. If you only buy a few titles then it's not worth $25 a year. I have bought 21 so far during this sale and my membership doesn't expire until the middle of December so the extra 10% of has been worth it to me.

I still do miss the days of being threatened by a loud female manager because I was using those $5 coupons numerous times every single day. I learned to go back into the store when the college kids were working the register, as they could care less.
Old 07-14-17, 11:19 PM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Never seen the Three Colors Trilogy. Is it pretty good?
Old 07-14-17, 11:53 PM

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Cool, thanks. I see it's in stock in a nearby store, but if I reserve it I'll have to pay the "store price" of $79.99. Yikes. $39.99 is already plenty for a blind buy. I mean, I hear it's great, but that's an unfortunate reservation system. Am I reading it correctly?
Old 07-14-17, 11:53 PM
Sem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Report from the field...

First store: as soon as I started producing coupons from my pocket, the sales clerk told me that they didn't take any coupons during Criterion sales, period. I sheepishly told him that I always used them in the past. He showed me the corporate memo prohibiting any coupons for the Criterion sale. I surrendered all the titles and left the store while emphasizing to the clerk that they just lost $100+ sale.

Second store: no reaction from the clerk when I produced the coupons. Coupons didn't scan, he diligently overrode them all while apologizing that today coupons were giving them trouble all day. I used a few 15% coupons (no exp date ones) and $5 off 10.

So, shop around. The second store will get more business from me, for sure.
Old 07-15-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Sem
Report from the field...

First store: as soon as I started producing coupons from my pocket, the sales clerk told me that they didn't take any coupons during Criterion sales, period. I sheepishly told him that I always used them in the past. He showed me the corporate memo prohibiting any coupons for the Criterion sale. I surrendered all the titles and left the store while emphasizing to the clerk that they just lost $100+ sale.

Second store: no reaction from the clerk when I produced the coupons. Coupons didn't scan, he diligently overrode them all while apologizing that today coupons were giving them trouble all day. I used a few 15% coupons (no exp date ones) and $5 off 10.

Exactly the issues with the stores around me as well, which compounds the reluctance to hit a store during these sales. The thrill of a retail hunt is in finding a title I want, not a manager I want.
Old 07-15-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I just got one title, Ghost World, and took it to the register with my coupon. The cashier asked if I had a coupon and I showed her my 10%off email. She scanned it and it didn't work. She apologized that it didn't work and I said, no worries.

It's funny that a small discount can really change your spending habits, but the days of me buying a bunch of titles at once during these sales are over. However, there's absolutely no need to make a scene if you don't get your way. These cashiers are doing their jobs and following the rules. You have to respect that.
Old 07-15-17, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I feel the same way as Ringmaster. Without coupons, my motivation for buying a bunch of titles isn't there. I only bought 2 titles because of the $5 coupon glitch on Monday night.
Old 07-15-17, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
I feel the same way as Ringmaster. Without coupons, my motivation for buying a bunch of titles isn't there. I only bought 2 titles because of the $5 coupon glitch on Monday night.
Same here. Of course my local store has been refusing all coupons during the Criterion sale for years before this recent widespread change, so the occasional online deal was always my only option.
Old 07-15-17, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I was out of town today I went to two stores looking for titles not available locally. I still can't find Mulholland Drive. Guess I'm going to have to just order it online.

Man I'm over $600 on this sale so far.
Old 07-17-17, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

This was one of my cheaper years at about $250 with 12 titles (14 if you count the Before Trilogy as 3). A far cry from the 41 titles I bought 2 Novembers ago. For a total price that I've thankfully forgot.

The Before Trilogy
Ghost World
Blow Up
Straw Dogs
They Live By Night
The Lodger
Rumble Fish
Exterminating Angel
His Girl Friday
Fox & His Friends
Buena Vista Social Club
Being There
Old 07-17-17, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Sem
Why would you emphasize that to the clerk? The clerk didn't write the memo and is just doing their job.

I should really avoid these threads when this sale comes around because I just get annoyed. 50% off on these titles is a good value on its own. Intentionally attempting to use coupons you know the clerks aren't supposed to accept and that the store has intentionally invalided in the system is disgusting, in my opinion. Going further than that and making any comment at all to a clerk just doing their job when they don't accept the coupons is a whole other level of entitled BS.
Old 07-18-17, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I've worked a bunch of minimum wage jobs in my life, so I know whats its like to take shit from a customer about things that are almost comically high above my pay grade. So I wouldn't do number 1, and using a stack of coupons you know will probably get some kid in trouble who's at the bottom of the food chain, honestly, I'd sooner steal the blu ray. I can empathize with the clerk who's just grinding it out, a big billion dollar corporation however, I'm pretty indifferent about.
Old 07-18-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Why would you emphasize that to the clerk? The clerk didn't write the memo and is just doing their job.

I should really avoid these threads when this sale comes around because I just get annoyed. 50% off on these titles is a good value on its own. Intentionally attempting to use coupons you know the clerks aren't supposed to accept and that the store has intentionally invalided in the system is disgusting, in my opinion. Going further than that and making any comment at all to a clerk just doing their job when they don't accept the coupons is a whole other level of entitled BS.
It's what some would call the slick deals effect. Its the mentality that it is ok to game the system because my need to save a buck on some movies that are most likely going to sit unopened for years to come is more important than anything else, including that poor cashiers job. These are the same people that buy up all of a certain product and resell it back to consumers at a highly inflated price and think that what they are doing is the exact same thing as what Best Buy does.
Old 07-18-17, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was annoyed last week when my coupon wouldn't work. I politely stated that I have used them in the past, but it was still a nope. Guess what? I didn't throw a tantrum. I still got a couple titles for more than 50% off (you still get the additional members saving).

I agree the entitlement factor with some of this stuff is annoying,

It's quite possible in the not too distant future that we won't be able to walk into a B&N as they will have gone bankrupt or simply phase out media.
Old 07-18-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

I finally got a chance to stop by the B&N near where I teach.

I didn't pick up as much as I was planning to but I hope this store will re-stock on titles before the end of the sale. If not, I'll probably just order online.

Picked up:

Ivan's Childhood
Stalker
Straw Dogs
Multiple Maniacs
Old 07-18-17, 07:03 PM
Sem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just so you know, "emphasize" doesn't mean being impolite or rude. I just wanted him to communicate it to his manager (and, hopefully, further upwards to the corporate) why they'd lost the sale.

Last edited by Sem; 07-19-17 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't agree with that anymore. Long gone are the days of LD and Pan&Scan DVD. This sale brings these titles down to around where they should be in the first place. Even virtually Mom&Pop labels like Code Red/Vinegar Syndrome/Scorpion amongst others are doing HD scans and extra packed editions for less than Criterion. They even cheap out often when it comes to putting the extras on a bonus disc to maximize audio/video bit rate. Criterion uses this sale twice a year to move product that sits on the shelf collecting dust. The word I heard is that Criterion instructed BN about no more coupons being allowed.

As for the clerks, I agree. I don't see the point in giving them a hard time for what the company decides to tell them to do. Like I said earlier, your best bet for the coupons is try to go in when a college kid is working as that is where I have had the most luck in the past.
Old 07-18-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

I can easily be happy with 50% off if it's already a title I love.

When coupons were plentiful and more easily redeemed, it gave me an opportunity to blind buy and impulse purchase titles I was curious about. The extra discounts were an incentive to indulge that.
Now, I will still pop for an occasional Blind or impulse purchase during these sales, but I'm more discriminating and it's more likely to be a title I've researched more than in the past.

I have an epic unwatched pile though, so unless it's a very compelling blind buy, I can pretty easily avoid it these days.

Went in to get Stalker today and all six copies the store had were reserved. I placed a store order and will probably just wait and pick it up next week with Lost In America.

That'll make 8 titles for this sale for me. That's on the average to low end for me.

November is almost certainly going to be even smaller.
Old 07-19-17, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 442 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Sem
There's only one B&N in my whole state.
Old 07-19-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Finally found a B&N that had the entire Criterion Collection in stock! I started loading up my cart when an employee stopped to see if I needed help.

"Why, yes!" I declared. "I've been wanting to catch up on Criterions for a while. If my coupons work, I can finally afford them all."

"No problem!" she said. We flirted and talked about movies for a bit. Then she said "In fact, there is one title in the back that we don't put out on the shelves. Let me go get it for you." She turned to go to the back storeroom as I went to the register to start checking out.

The clerk had just wrapped up scanning the titles when the hot clerk-girl came up to the front looking sad. "I have some bad news."

I asked what happened. She looks down at the ground. "I thought we had Goodburger but we don't. But that's not the bad news ... my manager said we couldn't take the coupons but to give you this ..."

I thought she was going to hug me. She kicked me in the balls instead. Never shopping there again.
Old 07-19-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 581 Likes on 431 Posts

For a moment there, I thought the only thing missing from that was "Dear Penthouse" . . .
Old 07-19-17, 12:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
For a moment there, I thought the only thing missing from that was "Dear Penthouse" . . .
Is it sad that my mind was going to Tokyo Olympiad?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.