Re: Barnes & Noble Criterion Sale 2017!

In for:

Straw Dogs
Being There
Blood Simple
Old 07-11-17, 05:47 PM   #52
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What did the C3M9W9M code do? I'm having a problem with my order after I placed it.
Old 07-11-17, 06:09 PM   #53

It took "$5 off a $10 or more Bluray or DVD." So 19.99 item priced at 14.99+tax
Old 07-11-17, 06:50 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend

I got two titles last night for $15 each with that code but then I started playing around with the codes and cart contents BN.com actually blocked my IP due to "suspicious activity". I had to change my broswer and IP to get it back up and running.

Anyway, I picked up 10 titles today in store. Does anyone know if the local stores restock at all during the sale?
Old 07-11-17, 07:21 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Anyway, I picked up 10 titles today in store. Does anyone know if the local stores restock at all during the sale?
Usually once or twice a week depending on what's needed though thats' somewhat dependent on the stocking warehouse having replenishment items.

If you want something specific to be brought in it's best to request your store get an item(s) and have them put an order in to the warehouse.
Old 07-11-17, 07:55 PM   #56
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds good. Thanks!
Old 07-12-17, 11:20 AM   #57
Sem

Are we expecting any 15% off coupons this coming weekend?
Old 07-12-17, 11:38 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sem View Post
Are we expecting any 15% off coupons this coming weekend?
Yes, though I suspect they'll contain the the same restriction as the current conditions though possibly directly written on the code. Emails should start showing up after 2am ET

Best guess the online part of the code will be 15JULY2017

EDIT: Well a new coupon showed up, but it was only a 10% code (still Criterion exclusion language) and no specific member code.

Last edited by hariseldon; 07-13-17 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-12-17, 08:19 PM   #59
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Does Amazon price match Barnes and Nobles sale?
I'm betting the answer is no, but I'm wondering the same. A couple of movies I might bite on are listed with the 50% off price, but then it says "available in store or through our marketplace sellers."
Old 07-12-17, 09:29 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I'm betting the answer is no, but I'm wondering the same. A couple of movies I might bite on are listed with the 50% off price, but then it says "available in store or through our marketplace sellers."

A lot of them are priced at $22.97, but I'm not a member of Prime, so with standard shipping and taxes it shoots up to around $30.
Old 07-13-17, 09:57 AM   #61
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's always the next 50% Flash Sale at Criterion's own site for stuff folks might miss out on here, which should theoretically be in late September or early October. Prices probably don't necessarily match B&N because of all the coupons, membership stuff, etc. (assuming you qualify and/or can use them before B&N changes the rules), but they do have a decent points system that pays out in $50 gift certificates.
Old 07-13-17, 04:25 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend

I got the 10% online coupon but that is really only good for picking up a title I can't find in store. You're pretty much better off shopping in store if you are a member. Man do I miss the $5 coupon days!
Old 07-13-17, 04:49 PM   #63

Quote:
I got the 10% online coupon but that is really only good for picking up a title I can't find in store. You're pretty much better off shopping in store if you are a member. Man do I miss the $5 coupon days!
A non Criterion title you can't find in store, and can't find a better coupon to use which makes it pretty useless from anything/everything/

At least the 5/50 coupons still works like clockwork

3 19.99 Criterions for 16.32 ea -- easy peasy.
Old 07-13-17, 05:25 PM   #64
DVD Talk Special Edition

In store this afternoon and picked up:

Mulholland Dr.
Eraserhead
Old 07-13-17, 09:52 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
A non Criterion title you can't find in store, and can't find a better coupon to use which makes it pretty useless from anything/everything/

At least the 5/50 coupons still works like clockwork

3 19.99 Criterions for 16.32 ea -- easy peasy.
I have no idea what you are talking about. the 10% coupon is the same as the 10% membership discount that only works in store. AFAIK no other coupons are working at the moment.
Old 07-13-17, 10:11 PM   #66

With most (if not all) coupons excluding Criterions now, it almost makes sense just to wait for Criterion's sale for anything you can't get in-store and get the 10% member discount. Even with the member discount, if you live in a state not taxed by Criterion, you basically break even on the membership discount and sales tax in-store and come out ahead with an online order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
There's always the next 50% Flash Sale at Criterion's own site for stuff folks might miss out on here, which should theoretically be in late September or early October. Prices probably don't necessarily match B&N because of all the coupons, membership stuff, etc. (assuming you qualify and/or can use them before B&N changes the rules), but they do have a decent points system that pays out in $50 gift certificates.
Old 07-13-17, 10:16 PM   #67
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Why would Criterion tax ANY state? As of this moment, companies are only required to charge tax in states where they have a physical presence. Are they worried about lawsuits from certain greedy politicians?
Old 07-13-17, 10:42 PM   #68

Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. the 10% coupon is the same as the 10% membership discount that only works in store. AFAIK no other coupons are working at the moment.
The 10% off coupon doesn't work on Criterions so it's only equivalent to the member discount for nonCriterions. For nonCriterion's there are better coupons you can get (the member mailer coupon, the 5/10 coupon is working even nonmembers, the 15% you can get for signing up for the BeInthe Know program.

The 5 of 50 member coupon is working in stores for Criterions and there are several printables that work on any non Criterions items

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
Why would Criterion tax ANY state? As of this moment, companies are only required to charge tax in states where they have a physical presence. Are they worried about lawsuits from certain greedy politicians?
Criterion is based in NY and has corporate offices there. Kentucky is where the warehouse that handles/distributes Criterion.com orders.

Last edited by hariseldon; 07-13-17 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-13-17, 11:12 PM   #69
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a single mailer coupon sent to me from BN other than the 15JULY2017 code. Then again, I never get coupons from them which upsets me a bit.
Old 07-13-17, 11:45 PM   #70

There's the Master BN Coupon Thread that's been with all the currently available coupons.

It can't help you with the Mailer coupons or missing email coupons, but that's been a problem for years too
Old 07-14-17, 09:20 AM   #71
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This will definitely be my final year of B&N membership. Just doesn't bear any value save for some 8 20%off coupons every year of which only 4 come in during Criterion sales. Not unless one purchases $99MSRP sets, can one maximize the benefits. If Amazon continues to have sale prices thru the year like they do now, it only makes the case against B&N membership so much more valid.
Old 07-14-17, 10:13 AM   #72

I can still make the $25 membership many times over even I never bought a Criterion, so mine is safe until the end. I'm Amazon Prime and only the recent Free Money giveaways (amazon cash, amazon assistant, etc) at Amazon got me to order some Movies from them finally, but with only 4 to choose from even that didn't go far.

The 5/10 and the 5/50 coupons just are too good plus I can't find Amazon GC for 12-20% discounts -- or even 7-8% cashback for online orders through places like topcash, etc if I could evern remember to use them.

WAC for $9-10 ea with ship to home orders in the 40% sales ($7-8 after GiftCards) esp now that WBShop is back to charging sales tax for most people. I loaded up on WAC TV sets last Dec in the 40% off sale with the 20-25-30% coupons and those things never go on sale anywhere so far (izombie, Lucifer, Longmire, etc).

Criterions for $16 (net $13-14) just using the 5/50 and nothing else. Was nice to do a few years with astounding net $10ea (and under), but great prices still beat OK prices. Until the 5/50 coupon goes under I can't see not getting my membership back 5-10 fold.

I just ordered a pile of 15+tax Criterions Tuesday morning with the 5off10 code and 15%off GC on Tues (half arrived yesterday, the other half today). They'll likely kill that online window next time

A July Double Member day would be gravy though I'm not expecting that this year.

Last edited by hariseldon; 07-14-17 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-14-17, 03:42 PM   #73
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
There's the Master BN Coupon Thread that's been with all the currently available coupons.

It can't help you with the Mailer coupons or missing email coupons, but that's been a problem for years too
Thanks.

As far as those who are thinking about giving up the membership after their current one it's a simple question of economics. If you only buy a few titles then it's not worth $25 a year. I have bought 21 so far during this sale and my membership doesn't expire until the middle of December so the extra 10% of has been worth it to me.

I still do miss the days of being threatened by a loud female manager because I was using those $5 coupons numerous times every single day. I learned to go back into the store when the college kids were working the register, as they could care less.
Old 07-14-17, 11:19 PM   #74
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never seen the Three Colors Trilogy. Is it pretty good?
Old 07-14-17, 11:23 PM   #75

Exceptional