DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains

Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Hide Wikipost
Old 06-22-17, 12:05 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Barnes & Noble 40% Off Sale June 13- June19
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: hariseldon
Wiki deleted since sale ended -- same wiki in the BN Master Coupon thread in DVD BARGAINS section

Print Wikipost

Old 06-13-17, 04:39 PM   #1
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Barnes & Noble 40% Off Sale June 13- June19

The 40% Off Sale this June is scheduled for 1 week only starting 6/13 through end of the day 6/19 -- exclusions Disney, Marvel, and Criterions. See SNEAK PREVIEW at end of thread about Criterion Sale

This sale is 40% off MSRP. The June sale includes DVDs unlike the Dec sale. Yes there will be many items that even with the 40% off aren;t very good deals, but there will be plenty of items that will be as good or better than other stores. It would be helpful not to harp on the Not Deals, price structures, BN Business plan, "Yes they going to go bust real soon" [But not yet] and concentrate the thread on potential deals -- the prices are what they are and hashing that out yet again isn't going to do anybody any good. Note that the loophole allowing though single use 15/20% codes to be used multiple times for that last year or two has been closed

In the past ALL in-store items are discounted (except for exclusions) and the majority of online items (2/3), but often some newer releases and some specialty studio items aren't included online (preorders also excluded).

As store stock has dwindled esp on the specialty studios like Warner Archive, SHout, Olive where this sale often is as it's best, the ship to store option has become critical. In-store items also include items not in stock but allowed to be ordered ship-to-home from a store terminal. This allows your member discount to apply and store coupons. Many stores will even do this by phone, but this isn't standard policy and my store would only allow CC purchases --no Gift Cards for those that stocked up during the discount GC Sales last Holiday season.

Simple Cheat sheet
40% + 10% off Whole Cart until it expires tonight -- 46% off
40% off + 15% coupon -- 51% off MSRP
40%+15%+10% member -- 54% off MSRP
40%+20% coupon (assuming it shows up) +10% member -- 57% off

plus whatever GC discounts, CC Rewards from BN CC, e-(b)ates you can add (someone said eb had up to 10% cashback for today only, top cash back has 4%)

You can also call them and have most items to be brought into the store and reserved for pickup, but remember this is a reservation and not an order so you have to be delivered and pickup the items during the sale period. There seem to be an increasing number of items that are considered Web/warehouse only items and can't be ordered to the store, but those act like store items if ordered to home from the terminal. Min $25 FS still applies

So far coupons have been allowed again for this sale. I'll bring over the Coupon Thread Wiki here.
There appear to be a decent amount of 10-12% discounted GC at the reseller sites (GiftCardGranny is a nice compilation site) to add a bit more savings

SNEAK PREVIEW
First word has been leaked that the Criterion 50% Sale is scheduled to start July 11. It's from an employee with a good track record and the date fits with previous sales so I'd say pretty high probability though BN has been known to bump the start date occasionally. With July 4th on a Tuesday though I find it unlikely they'd start on the 4th. No end date was mentioned, but the std July sale has normally been 4 weeks so that would make the last day Aug 7.

Last edited by hariseldon; 06-13-17 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-13-17, 04:44 PM   #2

Re: Barnes & Noble 40% Off Sale June 13- June19

Best New (or newish) release prices

Lego Batman 2D 21.59
Lego Batman 3D 26.99
Lego Batman 4K 26.99

Snitch 4K 13.79
Ex Machina 4K 13.79
Dredd 4K 13.79 but is OOS

There are 10-15 4K titles under $15

WARNER ARCHIVE titles
21.99 MSRP (Price correction)
$13.18ea 'in store' pricing . With member and/or 15% codes these can be had for $10 ea
Someone said Joe vs the Volcano was 40% in the system even though it doesn't technically release until after the sale's scheduled end date

Shout Factory items with 15% codes 51% off MSRP (56% with membership) which beats the current Shout Sale by a small amount esp if you just need a couple and can't make SF FS levels.

I do expect an email coupon on Thursday for Father Days -- should be the usual 20% Member and 15% all customers. Obviously those with 20% Mailer coupons which expire before th end of the sale have an opportunity to use them or bequeath them to others. Note that the loophole allowing though single use 15/20% codes to be used multiple times for that last year or two has been closed

Last edited by hariseldon; 06-13-17 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-13-17, 05:23 PM   #3

If I could like this posts, I would!

So if I request a store pickup, the 40% discount would apply when I go and pick it up, right? Or would I pay MSRP?
Old 06-13-17, 06:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
If I could like this posts, I would!

So if I request a store pickup, the 40% discount would apply when I go and pick it up, right? Or would I pay MSRP?
If you physically pick it up a movie during the sale and it's not one of the excluded items (Disney, Marvel, Criterions) it should be 40% off (plus anything else you can add to subtract). There are also some items with Bluray included which are apparently classified as CDs -- (SGT Pepper boxset and other music based items are the most common. I am not aware of other excluded items or studios. Don't rely on the reserve in store price online to be accurate, though it is better than it used to be. If you call to order or reserve a specific item they should be able to tell you the cost.

The store generated ship to home program has largely made the 'order to store' items nearly moot. In the past it was nice to get the member discount, but now the only real reason I could think to do that would be if you weren't able to get to the FS threshold.

If you order (or reserve a currently instock item) now, it shows up in store next Wed, and/or you pick it up next Thursday it will not be 40% off unless they extend the sale .
Old 06-13-17, 09:09 PM   #5

Nice. This is always my favorite sale. I wish I had the foresight to have loaded up on discounted gift cards before the sale started.
Old 06-13-17, 09:17 PM   #6

FYI, the three "15% off single item" codes are returning "not eligible for this promotion" and the "15% off A/B/C" codes return "already claimed". NOTBORING works, but I tested it with just a single item on a single order.

One item that did catch my eye was actually a buck cheaper through one of their 3rd party sellers, so I did manage to find something!
Old 06-13-17, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazar View Post
Just FYI hariseldon, the three coupons marked 15% off item A, B, and C in the wiki that no one had reported on lately all showed up as "Coupon code is already claimed. Please enter a valid code." I had never used them, so I think it is safe to say those are dead online at least.
These I/II/III and A/B/C printables are all store only at best. The first 3 have been confirmed to work today by more than one person.

Sorry, I thought I had updated the language on those, but realize I either never finished that or forgot to save the edit a couple weeks back
It is known that the online parts of the A.B.C don;t work anymore, but nobody has reported whether they work in store. My guess is that the last 3 will come up used/claimed/expired, but I didn't want to delete them until at least one report is made. If one of those is invalid now, all three should be
Old 06-13-17, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post

Sorry, I thought I had updated the language on those, but realize I either never finished that or forgot to save the edit a couple weeks back
It is known that the online parts of the A.B.C don;t work anymore, but nobody has reported whether they work in store.
Yeah, sorry about that. I realized what you meant immediately after posting it and deleted it, but you saw it quick! Thanks for clarifying though!
Old 06-13-17, 09:43 PM   #9

I think there is a pretty high probability the bottom 3 coupons are not just dead, but really, fully, completely dead.
Old 06-14-17, 08:44 AM   #10
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can people post what they picked up from this sale ? I didn't see any Warner Archive in the store I went to. There were less than 5 or 6 Olive and Arrow titles available. Few appealed pricewise despite the coupons and discount. The Universal Mummy and Dracula sets are $18 + tax after discounts which seems to be the lowest you can get these sets at right now
Old 06-14-17, 09:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
Can people post what they picked up from this sale ? I didn't see any Warner Archive in the store I went to. There were less than 5 or 6 Olive and Arrow titles available. Few appealed pricewise despite the coupons and discount. The Universal Mummy and Dracula sets are $18 + tax after discounts which seems to be the lowest you can get these sets at right now
$18 is great for those Monster sets for right now. I haven't seen any deals like the $15 Frankenstein sets at least so far. I don't think I've seen anything under $25 yet to be honest -- though I haven't looked very hard.

WAC are rarely ever in store anymore. Or Cohen or Flicker Alley
Shout, Olive are rarities other than a few stores in LA and NYC (Union Sq and Tribeca in NYC, ?? Glendale in LA, a couple of the DC area stores seem to have a larger in store selection).
Many stores do have a selection of 5-10 Arrows, but very few stores have a big shelf.

The ship to home program has become the entry point for most of these items. Many of them are now even designated 'online only' which basically means you can't even order them to the store for pickup -- they must be shipped to you. The Alliance/SuperD Warehouse now acts for all intents as the biggest backroom off site B&M store in the world -- like is some of the old original warehouse stores I remember, you made you order with a clerk at teh terminal from a display showroom or catalog, you paid, then drove around to the delivery dock and they loaded your order directly into your car. The only difference now is USPS/UPS delivers your order instead of the order being put into your car.

My main order may be for a handful of 4K disc -- I haven';t decided on the Lego BAtman 3D or 4K though i'm leaning to the 3D for now.
Dredd is comes back into stock, maybe John Wick
Main orders will be a pile of the WAC that have been released since Jan/Feb -- Seven Days in May, Vision Quest, Accidental Tourist, etc. Joe vs the Volcano if it really is ringing up 40% off,
Old 06-14-17, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
SNEAK PREVIEW
First word has been leaked that the Criterion 50% Sale is scheduled to start July 11. It's from an employee with a good track record and the date fits with previous sales so I'd say pretty high probability though BN has been known to bump the start date occasionally. With July 4th on a Tuesday though I find it unlikely they'd start on the 4th. No end date was mentioned, but the std July sale has normally been 4 weeks so that would make the last day Aug 7.
Cool, both Stalker & Straw Dogs get released in that timeframe (or prior to) so that works great.

I'll probably abstain from the 40% sale...I always have a few kinos and other boutique titles that usually benefit from this, but I can wait and pick those off one at a time.
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Personal VUDU M2D Page -->http://www.kedrix.net/vudu-mobile-d2d/
Old 06-14-17, 10:22 AM   #13
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I should have mentioned that the Universal Mummy and Dracula sets are $18+tax AFTER 40% (sale discount) +20% (Member Coupon) +10% (member store discount)
Old 06-14-17, 11:35 AM   #14
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm considering LEGO Batman 3D, but I think it might be cheaper than $22.94 soon enough.
Old 06-14-17, 11:43 AM   #15

New Member Welcome coupons posted.

Note some new variations on old standards.
Awaiting reports of if/how these work and if any different than past version.

Esp if they work more than once in store under same member account or are they now true one time per account.
Do they work on ship to home orders like they did in the past
How the new DVD/Bluray coupon works -- sale items, which price category
The Vinyl LP code appears to exclude CD online, but ? how the store code might work.
Will the 5/50 stack with other coupons (15% off single item) still?

Last edited by hariseldon; 06-14-17 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-15-17, 07:28 PM   #16

New Welcome coupons

The $5 off $10 single item coupon has been surprisingly easy to use in store to date -- store items and ship to home. At some point I may chat with them about the online code not working, but let sleeping dogs for now

The 5 off 50 Transaction appears to be working just like the prior version

Both have shown to be multiple use still.

My best deal of the day --
6 WAC Blurays with membership - 5 off 10 off one, five 15% codes on the rest, plus stacked the 5/50 transaction coupon. 53+ tax

Joe vs the Volcano and Running on Empty were $13.19 ea(11.90 with member) though no extra codes would apply for the preorder, but $12 for a brand new WAC with no waiting for a drop is something I can live with all day (especially the Tom Hanks movie)
Old 06-15-17, 11:29 PM   #17
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got 'Sophie's Choice' in store for $10.70 + tax
Old 06-18-17, 11:31 PM   #18

$5 Off $40-$74.99 or $10 Off $75 or More
HAPPYSUMMER
Expires June 23, 2017 at 2:59am Eastern Time.