Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

It's Another DeepDiscount 15% sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-18, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: It's Another DeepDiscount 15% sale

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
DD sales really only work as great bargains when you can find a title already on sale and double up by adding a 15% to 20% off coupon on top of that. Gone are the days when their everyday prices were any where near competitive.
Remember how Best Buy killed Circuit City by lowering prices? Remember how BB then raised prices back up?

DD's (also know as "Super D") goal was to kill off most of the competition. They succeeded............
Old 01-10-18, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Deep Discount did, at one time, have the lowest regular prices. It wasn't uncommon for them to have a lot of titles at around 40% off as a standard price. I seem to recall that most Anchor Bay (back when they were the main boutique horror label) titles with a $30 MSRP could be had for $18 in addition to free shipping with no minimums.
Old 01-10-18, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

In the heyday every dvd was exactly 40% off full retail. The price never changed. There were no coupons. During the semi-annual sale everything was 53% off full retail with the 20% and 40% combined.
Old 01-10-18, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Deep Discount did, at one time, have the lowest regular prices. It wasn't uncommon for them to have a lot of titles at around 40% off as a standard price. I seem to recall that most Anchor Bay (back when they were the main boutique horror label) titles with a $30 MSRP could be had for $18 in addition to free shipping with no minimums.
Exactly. I ordered a shit ton of DVD's from them years ago because their everyday prices were often better than the rest. Even other online retailers. Over the last couple months I noted that most discs can be found for cheaper elsewhere even after you take a 15%-20% code off their price. Which was my point earlier about it the key being finding something already on one of their sales and stacking it with the additional percentage code. And even then it's still only a little cheaper than others.
Old 01-10-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
In the heyday every dvd was exactly 40% off full retail. The price never changed. There were no coupons. During the semi-annual sale everything was 53% off full retail with the 20% and 40% combined.
For many years that was exactly right on DD. With coupons, you could get almost any media available for 50-60% off if you knew what you were doing at DD.

That was ended within months of DD getting taken over by the people that had run ImportCDs. I know it's the same people because their entire business policies were almost identically switched to how ImportCDs ran things. The free shipping on box sets ended and other little things.

I still use DD as someone that still heavily buys CDs, but the standard pricing now seems to be almost parity with Amazon's pricing on large swaths of most catalog product. There are still good deals to be had, especially if you don't pay sales tax, but it's closer to 10% off what you pay elsewhere than the glory days of bigger savings.
Old 01-10-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Exactly. I ordered a shit ton of DVD's from them years ago because their everyday prices were often better than the rest. Even other online retailers. Over the last couple months I noted that most discs can be found for cheaper elsewhere even after you take a 15%-20% code off their price. Which was my point earlier about it the key being finding something already on one of their sales and stacking it with the additional percentage code. And even then it's still only a little cheaper than others.
They were cheaper - every day - than every online site with few exceptions. It got to the point I didn't need to bother shopping around any more. Even if another site could save you a couple bucks, the twice a year sale would wipe that difference out and then some.

Now, (and for a few years really) many of the titles in my wish list are available - without a sale - at 30-40% cheaper elsewhere. At best some titles are priced in line with other sites such that with a sale it becomes worth considering a purchase. But even with that when other sites put them on sale DD is utterly noncompetitive.

Their pricing is an embarrassment to the site's history, and finding something competitively priced has become the exception.
Old 01-10-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Yeah, it was great for a while. I spent a lot of money there. Then they started fudging on the semi-annual sale. I can recall prices jumping up just prior to the sale to offset the additional discount. There was always a rush to get an order in before prices jumped.
Old 01-10-18, 04:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hariseldon
I guess just not my memories from the mid 2000's, but in the end maybe there was a reason teh company was bankrupt, developed one of the worst customer service reps in the retail industry, and had to be rescued by 2010-2011 as SuperD scavenged the corpses of dead companies related to the Financial Collapse. It's taken years, but they've gained at least a little bit of respect back over the last 5-6 years
Yeah, I give 'em props for that, even if it means I don't shop there much anymore. We are all bitching about them not being like before. Had they continued down that path, they would have closed up long ago and would be one less retail option, making it that much easier for Best Buy and Amazon to gradually raise their prices.

I now spend about $150 annually at Deep Discount versus maybe $500 back when the semiannual 25% sale was an event. If my $150 annual commitment is enough to keep the current Deep Discount around, I'm happy to keep doing so.
Old 01-10-18, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that it is rare to get a blu-ray or dvd deal during their monthly "sales."
But, I always find their prices on vinyl records during the sales to be hard to beat.
Old 01-10-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Customer service is a whole other discussion. Yes, during the days of them having the best prices, DD CS sucked and shipping seemed to be slower than most. But I so rarely had a problem, I was willing to deal with the one or two times I had to return/exchange something, or an order took an unacceptable amount of time to arrive. Because back then, the other online only retailers were not much better.
Old 01-10-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Customer service is a whole other discussion. Yes, during the days of them having the best prices, DD CS sucked and shipping seemed to be slower than most. But I so rarely had a problem, I was willing to deal with the one or two times I had to return/exchange something, or an order took an unacceptable amount of time to arrive. Because back then, the other online only retailers were not much better.
True. Best prices AND free shipping. Tough to complain about that. I never shopped anywhere else. But that was then... I haven't bought anything from them in a long time.
Old 02-13-18, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Coupon code - AMORE
Coupon expires Thursday, 2/15/2018 at noon CT.

https://www.deepdiscount.com/?utm_so...ode=1803071301
Old 02-13-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Easy
True. Best prices AND free shipping. Tough to complain about that. I never shopped anywhere else. But that was then... I haven't bought anything from them in a long time.
All the Super D stores are now charging sales tax, at least in Wa state. That eats up 2/3 of the 15%.............
Old 02-13-18, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not in Pennsylvania. Maybe they've grown big enough that Washington passed a sales tax law that includes them?

FYI, DD is selling The Big Parade digibook for $10 (-15% = $8.50), which tops Family Video's price from their recent Valentine's Day sale.
Old 02-13-18, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
All the Super D stores are now charging sales tax, at least in Wa state. That eats up 2/3 of the 15%.............
Wow. Guess I'm probably all but done with DD as well. Usually the kicker was that I didn't have to pay tax like I do the online versions of the B&M stores. Then again, maybe this could get them to actually start having better sales like they did back when I first heard of DD.
Old 02-13-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hariseldon
WA passed a law that is supposed to include every seller. I don;t think any other states are affected yet pending the major Supreme Court case
I've heard that some of the biggies are doing it in all states. I have no way of knowing for sure; though the rumor I've heard is Amazon is doing that. Those in other states would know better than me.

I know I am not happy with Wa's governor over this.
Old 02-14-18, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Almost all the online retailers are hitting us in Washington. I try my hardest to buy from the ones who are telling Wa state to gfy.

Even New Egg (that one took me by surprise yesterday).
Old 02-14-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Have to wonder how long Oregon can hold out. When the Sales Tax Dam breaks in Oregon...oh boy.
Old 02-14-18, 02:09 PM

At the same time, other states (like Pennsylvania) would rather borrow money than raise taxes to balance their budgets. We can't even create a natural gas severance tax, which is used by every other natural gas-producing state. While nobody wants to pay more for goods than necessary, you should feel somewhat happy if your state is in the black financially and managed responsibly.
Old 02-14-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What bothers me as both a seller & former retailer is it's unfair to internet retailers and their customers having to pay BOTH shipping & sales tax (& the PO raises prices every year, as do the shipping box companies.). When I buy local, I'm usually already near a given store, so I'm not spending much gas. This after the net retailers killed almost all local stores that had deep catalog.
Old 02-14-18, 09:59 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

There are some cool price cuts on some Disney Adult movies
First time I have seen some of the following at $5.99 each plus the 15 percent off:
Arachnophobia
Dead Poets Society
High Fidelity
Under The Tuscan Sun
Eight Below
Heavyweights
Newsies
Prestige
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (15th Anniversary)
There are some others too like Crimson Tide and Enemy of State that I've seen before.

Last edited by g; 02-14-18 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Disney takes forever to drop their suggested retail prices. It wouldn't surprise me to see those budget Disneys show up at Target for $5 down the line.
Old 03-19-18, 12:29 PM

I don't think there is any deal going on right now, so sorry if I got anyone's hopes up, but does anyone know if when they do have promo codes if they work in their ebay store or just their main site?
Old 03-19-18, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure it's just the main site.
Old 03-19-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one benefit for me on ebay is no sales tax.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.