Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Deep Discount Olive Films Halloween BOGO

Old 10-07-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Deep Discount Olive Films Halloween BOGO

Just noticed this on their site. Not sure how long it's been up, but the pricing on the Blu-Rays rivals -- and sometimes beats -- the big Olive dump earlier this year.

All titles . . .
http://www.deepdiscount.com/deep-oli...n-bogo/b230972

or just the Blus
http://www.deepdiscount.com/deep-oli...=AB&ft=Blu-ray
Old 10-07-16, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Deep Discount Olive Films Halloween BOGO

Nice find!
Old 10-07-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thinner and The Woods for me!
Old 10-08-16, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked Thinner, but really, $19.99? What kind of extra bonus stuff is getting added to this disc?
Old 10-08-16, 06:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
I really liked Thinner, but really, $19.99? What kind of extra bonus stuff is getting added to this disc?
Olive typically has no extra features on their discs at all. Wait, most have chapter selections.
Old 10-08-16, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Olive typically has no extra features on their discs at all. Wait, most have chapter selections.
Wow...$19.99 for Thinner when the DVD has been probably $4.99. This is heartbreaking...
Old 10-08-16, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Olive Films has begun reissuing movies in signature editions, loaded with special features.

The first titles in this new line were Johnny Guitar and High Noon.

http://doblu.com/2016/09/26/johnny-g...lu-ray-review/
Old 10-08-16, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BOGO is the only reason why.
Old 10-09-16, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Olive Films has begun reissuing movies in signature editions, loaded with special features.

The first titles in this new line were Johnny Guitar and High Noon.
I don't mind the lack of special features but it looks like Olive is giving these signature editions a newer transfer than their old discs. Do they plan on doing this with their entire catalog?
Old 10-09-16, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BadNewsBeards View Post
I don't mind the lack of special features but it looks like Olive is giving these signature editions a newer transfer than their old discs. Do they plan on doing this with their entire catalog?
Probably not, only the bigger and more important selections. From what I've heard, they plan to release two signature editions a month.
Old 10-09-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After viewing some of the titles from the not-so-recent DDD BOGO, have decided the ONLY price Olive BD's are worth is $4.99, no more. Haven't seen any of the signature editions yet but this is a company committed to shitty transfers - I mean, these guys are in Mill Creek territory charging premiums for unworthy offerings. The only winners here are the studios licensing their crappy HD scans to Olive and Olive.
Old 10-09-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would categorize Olive Films' transfers as hit or miss. Probably miss more often than not, but usually serviceable for obscure back catalog.
Old 10-09-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shock Em' Dead and Killer Workout worth it at BOGO $16.99?
Old 10-15-16, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
After viewing some of the titles from the not-so-recent DDD BOGO, have decided the ONLY price Olive BD's are worth is $4.99, no more. Haven't seen any of the signature editions yet but this is a company committed to shitty transfers - I mean, these guys are in Mill Creek territory charging premiums for unworthy offerings. The only winners here are the studios licensing their crappy HD scans to Olive and Olive.
Wow...that's a statement that I certainly don't agree with on any level. After purchasing and viewing a number of Olive Films' titles during the recent Deep Discount sale, I am very thankful they're even available on Blu-ray. At $10 a pop they were more than worth what I paid. I'm sure the new signature editions look marvelous, but so do the previous releases of "High Noon" and "The Quiet Man." I also acquired "Dr. Terror's House of Horrors," "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," "Caveman," "Cujo," "Partners," "Lord of the Flies" "Undertow," "Tales That Witness Madness" "Bound" and a few others. They may not offer much in the way of extras, but they are all above average for catalog releases. To criticize their entire catalog as "Millcreek" is simply overblown....waaay overblown rhetoric. You are certainly allowed your opinion, but I don't think it's anywhere near being accurate.

Last edited by AaronSch; 10-15-16 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Movies like Undertow and Caveman are lucky to hit Blu-ray at all. For fans of movies with limited mass appeal in 2016, Olive prices their stuff pretty fairly. The $10 sale was especially nice.
Old 10-17-16, 01:57 PM
Banned

Movies like Undertow and Caveman are lucky to hit Blu-ray at all. For fans of movies with limited mass appeal in 2016, Olive prices their stuff pretty fairly. The $10 sale was especially nice.
Amen
Old 10-17-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought 44 discs in that sale, and I'd wager about seven of them will (or might) get the deluxe re-issue treatment while the rest -- good films all, based on what I've watched so far, and some of them being replacements for old DVDs -- will probably never see the light of day on disc ever again. I wouldn't bite at regular price, but $10 was more than fair. Yeah, I suppose I could've waited until they maybe dropped to $4.99 -- and if they ever do, I'll certainly scoop up even more blind buys -- but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen en masse anytime soon. A lot of what I picked up are fairly obscure movies from the 40s, 50s and 60s, and as much as I enjoy them, I can finally understand Olive not shelling out for top-drawer restorations. In most cases, flaws in the original prints are more than tolerable, if they're there at all.