Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Blu-ray Bargains
Reload this Page >

Shout Factory ScreamShocktober sale is back!

Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Shout Factory ScreamShocktober sale is back!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-16, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Shout Factory ScreamShocktober sale is back!

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Good for them. Although that is probably going to piss some folks off that bought some filler items or had to pay shipping to get one item.

The only thing I'm looking for is Session 9, but I can wait for a better sale at Amazon.
How can this be considered a "deal" ...it certainly doesn't belong in a "Bargains" thread...I mean, seriously? And they did the same exact thing last year when all titles were available at these a-hem, "discounted" prices at the end of the promotion. It's amazing how easily some people can be deceived. Best Buy currently has "Manhunter," "Return of the Living Dead," and "The Thing" at $17.99.

Last edited by AaronSch; 10-17-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-17-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

They are on sale from what they normally cost and buying direct usually is more expensive than a big box retailer like Best Buy or wherever. It's not as though the prices of those titles is what Best Buy normally charges.
Old 10-17-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
How can this be considered a "deal" ...it certainly doesn't belong in a "Bargains" thread...I mean, seriously? And they did the same exact thing last year when all titles were available at these a-hem, "discounted" prices at the end of the promotion. It's amazing how easily some people can be deceived. Best Buy currently has "Manhunter," "Return of the Living Dead," and "The Thing" at $16.99.
They aren't exactly "bargain" prices, but they are about 45-50% off MSRP and about $7-8 cheaper than Shout's usual prices of newly released titles at $24.99 a piece.

A few of the titles are cheaper than Amazon like Prince of Darkness, Slumber Party Massacre, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
Old 10-17-16, 01:17 PM
Banned

The Best Buy price is actually $17.99 but still far more than I am willing to pay...I can wait. It'll be months before I get around to watching them anyway. I haven't paid more than $14.99 for any Scream Factory title. You just need to be patient because they are competing with thousands of the same previously-released MGM/Fox versions. It's gonna take awhile to move inventory because most don't need "the very best version." You can grab "Mad Max," and "Escape From New York," with slipcovers for around $11.99....and I've seen 'em used for as iittle as $9.99.

Last edited by AaronSch; 10-17-16 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-17-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't mind getting Return of the Living Dead but can't find something I don't have to pair with it to get free shipping so it's not really worth it. The problem for me is a lot of the Scream Factory stuff I really want I own. There are a few I'd get but would rather wait and pay less for them. I think the sale they did earlier in the year (I think maybe at the start of summer) was better.
Old 10-17-16, 04:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
How can this be considered a "deal" ...it certainly doesn't belong in a "Bargains" thread...I mean, seriously? And they did the same exact thing last year when all titles were available at these a-hem, "discounted" prices at the end of the promotion. It's amazing how easily some people can be deceived. Best Buy currently has "Manhunter," "Return of the Living Dead," and "The Thing" at $17.99.
Pretty much all of the 46 titles were/are cheaper here than at Amazon or Best Buy, a few were beaten by maybe $1. Not sure what your definition of "deal" is, but I found a bunch.
Old 10-17-16, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hariseldon
Manhunter is available in the same collection series.

If you really want it and can't find anything else, the easiest thing to pair for FS is a BBY Gift Card
Yeah I did consider Manhunter. I haven't seen it so it would be a blind buy for me but I know it's supposed to be good. I wish my town had a Best Buy and I'd probably just go there or shop there more in general.
Old 10-17-16, 05:39 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I wouldn't mind getting Return of the Living Dead but can't find something I don't have to pair with it to get free shipping so it's not really worth it.
Yeah, it's a dollar cheaper at Best Buy anyway.
Old 10-17-16, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Pretty much all of the 46 titles were/are cheaper here than at Amazon or Best Buy, a few were beaten by maybe $1. Not sure what your definition of "deal" is, but I found a bunch.
Generally, their deals were better in the past, -at least a dollar or two cheaper than they are this time. However, the last time they brought all the prices back at the end of the sale, they were a dollar more expensive than they were in the first round, -this time they kept them at the price they were offered at a few days ago. They are deals for the moment, but of the titles I already own, I got them at better prices than they're offering.
Old 10-17-16, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Best Buy option would be awesome, but The Thing is already in store pick up only and no store even remotely close to me has a copy. Would be great if Amazon was to price match. Would love to get ROTLD and The Thing.
Old 10-18-16, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I don't think Shout Factory is really set up to process a ton of orders in a timely manner, so they don't price things at gangbuster levels.

I think they mostly run this October sale to raise awareness for their releases on discussion sites. I wouldn't know half of what they've issued without hearing about this sale.
Old 10-09-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And it's back once again folks...

https://www.shoutfactory.com/shockto...fcfe7-89367417

Not much here...but I will say that if somebody buys the Fog steelbook+lithograph and doesn't want the lithograph, please let me know...just don't bury it in your closet. I'll buy it off of you for a fair price (or trade multiple blu-rays from my list, either way). That goes for those who might have already bought it too. I framed the EFNY one, and this one would look really good next to it. (Or probably below it, but you get the hint). I just don't need the steelbook, that's all.
Old 10-10-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Buy still has a lot of the same Shocktober titles on sale for much lower prices. Example: Species $13.99.
Old 10-10-17, 05:51 PM

Slither, too, is $14 at Best Buy. Only one I'm interested in that I don't have.
Old 10-10-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Full list of Scream titles cheaper at Best Buy (assuming nothing has changed)

Return of the Living Dead
Darkman
Escape From New York,

Slither
Species
Teen Wolf
Teen Wolf Too
Lawnmower Man
Prince of Darkness
The Fog
Virus

Raising Cain