Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Arrow Films 50% Off Sale - Barnes & Noble

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-16, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Arrow Films 50% Off Sale - Barnes & Noble

Originally Posted by hariseldon
I did figure as much, but got to poke a bit of fun with the gloom and doom posts.

BN destroys the competition again and it's like people just can't accept the good -- it's like karma will be set against them if they don't have something to gripe aobut. How much complaining went on in teh Criterion sales, because folks couldn't buy some things for more than 1/3-1/2 less than the best prices anybody else ever offers.

"I won $100M Powerball, but the taxes are going to kill me and it takes forever for the check to clear!"
Well, I don't think it is doom and gloom as much as frustration. If you are going to run a sale, it would make sense that you would carry enough product to satisfy demand. The most popular titles in this sale were out-of-stock within hours. There used to be a term for that tactic, it's called "bait and switch. First, customers are "baited" by merchants's advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods either are not available or are not as good as was expected, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher-priced, items ("switching"). The disclaimer, "while quantities last" would have been appropriate here.

While I have taken part in a number of recent Barnes & Noble Sales that indeed "destroyed the competition," This sale in particular was a disappointment for many. Unlike the Criterion sales, none of the more popular Arrow titles have been replenished. And there's far less frustration when you know another sale on Criterion will return in just a few months. I think they dropped the ball and disappointed a few customers—never a good idea.

All that being said, I was able to use the coupon you posted to grab Ken Russell's "Crimes of Passion" along with the two Hammer Films' Double Features. $30.69 shipped. So 5 movies for $30? How can I possibly complain! So, thank you!

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-01-16 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin
What's the difference in the 'Black Cats' set with the individual releases other than the inclusion of DVDs ? TIA
http://doblu.com/2015/10/31/fulcis-b...lu-ray-review/

The Black Cats limited edition box set of 3000 units included the two movie releases in an outercase.

The primary difference was an 80-page booklet containing new articles, Lucio Fulci’s last ever interview and a reprint of Poe’s original story. The limited edition 80-page perfect-bound book features new writing on the films, illustrated with archive stills and posters.
Old 09-02-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

The Black Cats limited edition box set of 3000 units included the two movie releases in an outercase.

The primary difference was an 80-page booklet containing new articles, Lucio Fulci’s last ever interview and a reprint of Poe’s original story. The limited edition 80-page perfect-bound book features new writing on the films, illustrated with archive stills and posters.
Thanks, Phantom
Old 09-02-16, 06:15 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Picked up Return of the Killer Tomatoes, which came to 11.97 including shipping. I generally hate paying shipping, but in this case it came out to basically the same as it would have been if I were able to get it in-store with a 20% off coupon.
Old 09-02-16, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the details on this release! Sounds like a really cool set! Just picked up a like-new set for $30 shipped on eBay.

Old 09-04-16, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're welcome.

Most of the items in this sale remain frustratingly out of stock. A handful still seem to be in stock like Hired To Kill.

http://doblu.com/2016/05/23/hired-kill-blu-ray-review/

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 09-04-16 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-04-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I was finally ready to place some orders for this sale, and you guys weren't kidding about things being out of stock! Out of the 18 titles I opened, I can only order three, and two of those are pre-orders.

I wish we could at least place an order and wait. Oh, well. I guess this could end up saving me some money.
Old 09-04-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

From Arrow Low stock warnings (posts taken from NoirFan at bluray.com)

"The American Horror Project set/Hills Have Eyes were 70% sold out on 8/3, Blood Rage was 80%, and Blood Bath was 75%, ".

"A note from the Arrow newsletter 8/24 so the number could have been even worse. As I understand the numbers low stock counts both US and UK items

American Horror Project - 80%
Blood and Black Lace steelbook - 95%
Blood Bath - 75%
Blood Rage - 90%
Driller Killer steelbook - 40%
Female Prisoner set - 70%
Hills Have Eyes - 80%
Diamond Guys 1 - 80%"
Nuts.

Wish I'd gone for American Horror when I first opened the page...
Old 09-07-16, 11:19 AM
Banned

Making this a "flash sale" would have made a helluva lot more sense since most of the titles people were looking to purchase were gone within just a few hours. This has nothing to do with Arrow's print runs. It has to do with lousy planning to satisfy demand. Those titles will be available long after this sale ends.
Old 09-07-16, 11:46 AM
pgm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Immoral Tales & The Beast are both back in stock
Old 09-07-16, 12:29 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I still hoping for a major restock before the end of the sale the instock list is close to a dozen now. The 40% is a pipedream.

About a dozen items reappeared briefly Friday night and Sat morning including a couple of the bigger items. Got my order for Stray Cat Rock
in with a 40% off. I'm down to Female Scorpion and maybe the Black Cat 2 Film LE on my want list.

Worst case is another Arrow sale should be not too far down the line according to some of the UK posters
There is an Arrow sale going on on Amazon.uk (a few of the titles in this B&N list are there as well). On Bluray.com, change your 'country' in the dropdown on the top to UK and click the below link:
http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?showpr...udiorating=all

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 09-07-16 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

5:50pm
Stray Cat Rock OOS -- lasted longer than I expected it might
Missed it.
Old 09-08-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since it's back in stock, I decided to pull the trigger on Microwave Massacre. I've been really wanting to revisit it for the horror challenge, and the previous DVD is out of print. I just wish there were some better coupons or that in-store inventory was as good as the Criterion sale.
Old 09-08-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clckworang
Since it's back in stock, I decided to pull the trigger on Microwave Massacre. I've been really wanting to revisit it for the horror challenge, and the previous DVD is out of print. I just wish there were some better coupons or that in-store inventory was as good as the Criterion sale.
I was stunned to hear the voice of actor Jackie Vernon in it when I saw Microwave Massacre. Almost everyone will recognize his distinctive cadence as Vernon also voiced beloved childhood figure Frosty the Snowman.

http://doblu.com/2016/08/25/microwav...lu-ray-review/
Old 09-08-16, 10:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just ordered Mark Of The Devil. It was the only Arrow (US) I was interested in:
  • BD $19.99
  • S&H $2.98
  • Tax $1.33
  • -20% $4.00
  • Total $20.30
Old 09-08-16, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now that my membership has expired, I have less interest in this sale.
Old 09-09-16, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts

I am actually thinking about renewing my membership since I heard that Amazon is going to start charging tax in my state beginning November 1st. B&N may give Amazon a run for their money with the coupons and free shipping.

Does the membership extra 10% off apply to on sale items like these arrow releases? Does it also apply after a coupon?
Old 09-09-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I am actually thinking about renewing my membership since I heard that Amazon is going to start charging tax in my state beginning November 1st. B&N may give Amazon a run for their money with the coupons and free shipping.

Does the membership extra 10% off apply to on sale items like these arrow releases? Does it also apply after a coupon?
The membership discount is only applied to in-store purchases, but it should work with any sale items. I believe the discount is applied after coupons.
Old 09-09-16, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

To the best of my knowledge, the 10% discount no longer applies to online orders. But the extra coupons, a 10% in-store discount and free shipping definitely make the $25 membership a sensible idea.
Old 09-09-16, 10:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I'm having a glitch with my membership where they are still charging me shipping even though everything is checked properly and it even says free shipping on every screen of the process. They credit me the shipping charge when I email them, but it's a pain.
Old 09-09-16, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm having a glitch with my membership where they are still charging me shipping even though everything is checked properly and it even says free shipping on every screen of the process. They credit me the shipping charge when I email them, but it's a pain.
I had the exact same issue. You have to make sure your membership address is identical to the shipping address on your Internet order. I had to re-enter my shipping address every single time for it to register my free shipping perk.
Old 09-09-16, 01:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I had the exact same issue. You have to make sure your membership address is identical to the shipping address on your Internet order. I had to re-enter my shipping address every single time for it to register my free shipping perk.
Ah, I think one has Terrace spelled out and one just Ter. Thanks!
Old 09-13-16, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I received my copy of Microwave Massacre and have just placed a couple more orders using the 20% off coupon. That looks to be the best deal around at the moment.

I'm debating some additional purchases. Any opinions on Stray Cat Rock, Female Prisoner Scorpion, Death Walks Twice and Killer Dames? What about Tenderness of the Wolves or Bloodstained Butterfly?

I'm more focused on horror but am always on the lookout, so if anyone has any off the beaten path recommendations, I'd love to hear them.
Old 09-14-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

9/13 Noon ET

apparently Grande Bouffe briefly came back and went back OOS within minutes.
I lucked into it in-stock at 9:30pm.
Old 09-14-16, 03:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Picked up "The Stuff" today with the 20% coupon. Spider-Baby showed as in stock and was able to add to my bag, but when I went to check out it was OOS. Oh well, I'll get it someday!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.