Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Ash vs Evil Dead S1, $10.19 @ Dvdempire

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: Ash vs Evil Dead S1, $10.19 @ Dvdempire

I figured it was a pricing error, DVDempire hasn't had a sale price like this in years. Though this mistake did alert me to their decent used stock.
Old 08-29-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

^And I didn't know they carry used... hmmm... may have to give them a look-see...
Old 08-31-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order cancelled today after I queried about a tracking number. Bleah. Now I have to order full price. :P Here's how it went down, via email:

Me: "Can I have the tracking number for Order [edited]? Thanks in advance."

DVDEmpire: "We apologize for the confusion about your order. We had an issue with our pricing of this title listed on our website and had to cancel all open orders for it. If you have paid by credit card, you have not been charged. If you have paid by Paypal, you will be receiving a refund and should get an automatic email notification from Paypal once the refund has been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused."

Me: "So you had a pricing error, a charging of my account error, a shipping notification error, and you never bothered to tell me, and you canceled my order after I was promised it was shipped almost a week ago? Is that what you're telling me?"

DVDEmpire: We sent out an automated email to notify customers that there was an issue with the orders while we investigated and started to correct the problem once we realized the issue on 08/24/16 and have been notifying customers individually as we processed the refunds. The email was sent to the email address on file and may have been sent to your spam folder.

Me: "I checked my spam folder and nothing. What I did receive was a charging and shipping notification on the 23rd of August, along with a change of status on the website ("Order Status: SHIPPED: This order has been shipped"), which naturally gave me the expectation that it had been charged and shipped. I waited, checking my mailbox eagerly every afternoon for almost a week, for this order to arrive as promised. Now this?

This wasn't my mistake. I went into this on good faith and trust in your company. I can see cancelling an order before a shipping notification went out, but after? That just seems unnecessarily cruel."

DVDEmpire: "I apologize. We were not aware of the problem until we realized that orders were printing and not actually being shipped on the release date. We then realized that this listing was incorrect and started to correct the issue. We are still in the process of refunding customers."

Me: "No problem. I made an error too: ordering from DVDEmpire. Rest assured that mistake will be rectified."
Old 08-31-16, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't criticize DVDempire too badly as one of the few net media retailers left outside of Amazon. They were losing money on every pre-order. It seems they only caught the error when they began to fulfill pre-orders.

The slipcover for this set has one of the coolest effects I've seen. There is a shimmering effect on its cover that makes the image pop.
Old 08-31-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by izatright
Me: "No problem. I made an error too: ordering from DVDEmpire. Rest assured that mistake will be rectified."
LOL! Great line... Sorry your order got canceled...
Old 08-31-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not saying what they did was right, but from a pure business standpoint, I totally understand why they did it. Unlike Amazon that will honor price mistakes from time to time, most of those people are long standing customers that will continue to do business there. Dvdempire probably had a shit ton of new members sign up just to jump on this deal and never return to do business there again. And in the end, most people probably won't ever buy there again just because of how they handled this situation. So they didn't lose any money sending out copies that were incorrectly priced, and they lost customers that they would have lost in the end anyways.

What they did gain though, were a ton of personal email and home addresses that can get hacked at a later time
Old 09-01-16, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What I have an issue with is the fact that they're seemingly not issuing refunds until a customer contacts them about it. I used their online chat feature, and they admitted that it wasn't shipped, but that a refund was already made to PayPal (which wasn't true). The rep, named BlackWidow, assured me that she was issuing me a refund, but I sat there for about 10 minutes with no such luck, so I submitted a claim in PayPal. I made sure to include a copy of their chat log that they emailed me.

I asked her how they would possibly know that the item hadn't shipped, when the system shows a shipment date and the order essentially completed. No response.
Old 09-01-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received my copy yesterday. Hopefully, I wasn't the only one.
Old 09-03-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WTF is this shit! Here is an email I just got...

"Your returned product from Order #92340197 has been received. You have been issued a refund in the amount of $13.17 through Order #93000897"

First, why would I return an item I ordered. Second, it never was delivered. I got a shipping notice but never tracking

Sounds like this is their way of cancelling my order without cancelling the order.

Such bullshit.
Old 09-03-16, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, dammit, I just got the same email. Shoot, I was really hoping I'd get mine.
Old 09-04-16, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Got "skunked" also.

Hey, we entered the last 1/4 of 2016. The deals will eventually heat up !!
Old 09-06-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Ok, now I'm really confused.

Ordered on 8/9.

Got "Billed an Processing for Shipment" email on 8/22 (never got a shipping notice or a tracking number).

I got the same "Return of Order" email that several others got on 9/3.

Today, I got a an email that stated "Order Shipped", but the prices listed are negative.

I guess that's my refund, but everything about this process just seems ass backwards.
Old 09-06-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Ok, now I'm really confused.

Ordered on 8/9.

Got "Billed an Processing for Shipment" email on 8/22 (never got a shipping notice or a tracking number).

I got the same "Return of Order" email that several others got on 9/3.

Today, I got a an email that stated "Order Shipped", but the prices listed are negative.

I guess that's my refund, but everything about this process just seems ass backwards.
I think you actually will get it. That negative price is how DVDempire seems to list pre-orders shipped out. It's how my email looked.
Old 09-06-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Also received the same "shipped" email.

PhantomStranger, did you receive a tracking # for your shipment?
Old 09-06-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sadly, I don't think it means you are going to get it. If you look at the refund email, they processed the refund/return as a separate order (which should match the order with the negative amounts). Not sure why they are doing it this way, as it now looks like 2 orders in their system (1 normal, 1 reversed). I got the same reversal order email today, too.
Old 09-30-16, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you don't mind spending the extra $7 over this deal that never panned out, Best Buy has a two day sale going on now and you can pick it up for $20
Old 10-23-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

$15.99 at Target this week with Cartwheel
Old 10-24-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
$15.99 at Target this week with Cartwheel
Thank you, I think I'll take up Target on that and that will be 15.19 w/tax if you have Redcard. I still haven't ordered from DVD Empire since due to their mess-up (and probably never will). Still shake my head with how they handled it (with the lying about shipping and covering up).